News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Dunnery, Mitchell collaboration

Started by GobowenLad, Wed, 2009-02-11, 11:49:40

Previous topic - Next topic

GobowenLad

John Mitchell will be contributing to Francis Dunnery's New Progressives project:
http://www.francisdunnery.com/news.html

PH

Ha! I read about that in iO Pages! :) It's very interesting... Former It Bites singer/guitarist with current It Bites singer/guitarist.
Imagine Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel doing a cd together...
Or Fish and Steve Hogarth...

Unthinkable!

Vewy intewesting. :) :)

-Paco

bellanova

Thats funny being as i recently read an interview by Mr Dunnery slagging off the current It Bites as a tribute band as it didnt have the same lead singer! But i guess john is ok with it being as his favourite band always was It Bites!

cabo

How come Arena is never listed when they list other project John has been in? Kino is always mentioned... weird.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: cabo on Wed, 2009-02-11, 14:37:50
How come Arena is never listed when they list other project John has been in? Kino is always mentioned... weird.

I think it could have something to do with Arena's image. Arena is often described as old-school-prog and Francis Dunnery seems more a pop/prog kind of guy. Maybe he doesn't want to give potential buyers of his new album a wrong impression. I could be looking far too much into it though. Maybe they just forgot to mention Arena. But then again, The Urbane is not there as well.

But maybe I'm wrong. Ah well, I like to speculate every once in a while ;)...

By the way, did anyone notice that Steve Rothery is also taking part in this project?

Tom

There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Steve Jones

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2009-02-11, 13:02:05
Imagine Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel doing a cd together...

You might like to check the credits on your Peter Gabriel CDs ;)

That aside, I've very interested in this project as I'm a HUGE Dunnery fan - not to mention everyone else that's being added *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2009-02-11, 13:02:05
Or Fish and Steve Hogarth ...

In fact, I believe that they too were on stage together recently. Iac it's not excluded any longer.

Quote from: cabo on Wed, 2009-02-11, 14:37:50

When it comes to music, the world is so f*d up. I find Arena at least a class above all the other acts with the guys (except for Caamora, but it's also a matter of heart for Clive), and one of the greatest rock groups on this planet. (You guys might agree.)  ;D  But going by MySpace, radio, awards, and cd-stores, you'd think that Arena were some dumbass garage band. It almost makes one think that there's some sorta conspiration in play  ???

In fact, only Amazon gives Arena proper coverage:  http://www.amazon.com/Arena/e/B000AQ2NKO/ref=ntt_mus_gen_pel

You can double-click the album icons and read the excellent reviews.

Interesting !

Analogous to McDonalds and Burger King: You'd think that these megacorporations promulgate American reactionary politics, but in truth, there's probably no other institution in the world that promotes vegetarianism as much as these two do, with their excellent vegeburgers, salads etc.

So all this "Yankee go home" stuff - no way here !

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2009-02-11, 15:49:53
I think it could have something to do with Arena's image. Arena is often described as old-school-prog ....

???

I can understand it somewhat up to The Visitor, altho for us insiders, this album has a lot more to offer than "old-school-prog", but with "Immortal ?" and particularly Contagion, Arena have a fully modern sound and have by far transcended the neoprog tag.

I'm not blaming you, Tom, for anything - I think you're quite right in your analysis - it's just that people are so facile about tagging and categorising - and putting away  :(

Ah well, I like to speculate every once in a while ;)...

Watch out, Tom, this is the stuff that makes proggies  ;D

By the way, did anyone notice that Steve Rothery is also taking part in this project?

Oh, really  ???

;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

JJ II

QuoteThats funny being as i recently read an interview by Mr Dunnery slagging off the current It Bites as a tribute band

Since Dunnery will call his project "Francis Dunnery's It Bites'' John Mitchell felt he could do nothing else than withdraw his contibution. Too bad  :-\

Manatee

Quote from: JJ II on Wed, 2009-07-29, 20:31:04
Since Dunnery will call his project "Francis Dunnery's It Bites'' John Mitchell felt he could do nothing else than withdraw his contibution. Too bad  :-\

This is indeed a pity since it means I can no longer buy it sight-unseen on the basis that it's got John Mitchell on it.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

PH

Too bad, but good ol' Mitchell made the right decision!

There are plenty other Mitchell collaborations out there, so nothing's lost.

The Butterfly Man

Why would he name his project 'Francis Dunnery's It Bites'? Why does he choose to live in the past instead of living today? I mean, move on, get over it... :-\

Oh well...

Tom

PH

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2009-07-30, 14:02:18
Why would he name his project 'Francis Dunnery's It Bites'? Why does he choose to live in the past instead of living today? I mean, move on, get over it... :-\

Oh well...

Tom

Yeah it's quite sad. I think he smelled money or something... It Bites isn't his band or something... I think it's a "graantje meepikken" attitude again.
Sorry, don't know how to say it in English...
In fact, this really disappointed me. So I think Mitchell did well.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2009-07-30, 14:12:11
Yeah it's quite sad. I think he smelled money or something... It Bites isn't his band or something... I think it's a "graantje meepikken" attitude again.
Sorry, don't know how to say it in English...
In fact, this really disappointed me. So I think Mitchell did well.

Haha, I get what you mean! :P I also think he did it for commercial reasons only, using the name 'It Bites' to attract more people. Pretty sad indeed...

Tom

JJ II

QuoteI also think he did it for commercial reasons only

Sometimes it's not the artist who does this....

Mick's project was announced many times as 'Mick Pointers Marillion', much against his will and his orders....

But in this case it is intentional.

Manatee

This is quite odd (maybe the new album was more successful than he expected?) since, great though JM is, you've got to figure that the original leader of the band would have been given right of first refusal to take part in the reunion.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

bellanova

I understood that Dunnery didnt want to be part of the reunion because he was doing his own stuff in the US. He was asked i believe