News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

NIGHT OF THE PROG 2009

Started by GillianW, Tue, 2009-02-03, 16:33:58

Previous topic - Next topic

wagner

Yes it's true! Arena will be there... 8) *horns*
La Rose noire!
myspace.com/arenaatverglas

GillianW

I've booked.  Was lucky to  get a hotel reasonably near the venue as many we tried were booked up.  Should be a brilliant weekend.

creme anglais

For those of you in the UK Ryan Air are currently having an on-line sale. Flights from Stanstead to Frankfurt Hahn are FREE (you just pay for tax & check-in fee) so you can get to Frankfurt for about £15 return :-)

Tickets for the festival are now available from www.verglas.com :-)

I'm taking a tent! See you there!

maddox

Does anybody know how the concert of yesterday was?

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

kabi225

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2009-07-11, 22:01:54
Does anybody know how the concert of yesterday was?

It was my 14th (or thereabouts) time seeing the band and I must say I was a bit disappointed. They seemed very underrehearsed (which might be not surprising but still a bit unprofessional) and their live mix was relatively poor (not really bad but worse than for most other bands at the festival).
There was, however, one highlight. They did a cover of Michael Jackson's Billy Jean, which they HAD rehearsed (only this one maybe  ;) ) and which I found very entertaining. Complete setlist was

Crack In The Ice
Skin Game
Billy Jean (Michael Jackson cover)
The Hanging Tree
Bedlam Fayre
(Don't Forget To) Breathe
Chosen
Solomon
Crying For Help IV

PH

Quote from: kabi225 on Sun, 2009-07-12, 11:34:31
There was, however, one highlight. They did a cover of Michael Jackson's Billy Jean, which they HAD rehearsed (only this one maybe  ;) ) and which I found very entertaining.

:D Man, they better have recorded this! ;D

maddox

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2009-07-12, 13:00:54

I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo agree with you!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

JJ II

QuoteMan, they better have recorded this!

A video recording has been made, but I doubt it will ever see the light of day. Most of all for copyright-reasons.

Arena's set was way too short, but very energetic. I heared many people say (afterwards) that is was way too short.

But the good news was: they definately are writing the new album at the moment!!

maddox

Quote from: JJ II on Sun, 2009-07-12, 22:16:19
A video recording has been made, but I doubt it will ever see the light of day. Most of all for copyright-reasons.

Arena's set was way too short, but very energetic. I heared many people say (afterwards) that is was way too short.

But the good news was: they definately are writing the new album at the moment!!

I see that you've had a little chat with Clive?  :D

JJ II

QuoteI see that you've had a little chat with Clive? 

All of the boys were very enthusiastic about the fact that there will be a new album in 2010, and a tour as well. Mick and Clive have been working on some ideas and John will probably contribute as well.

Nicky007

Quote from: JJ II on Mon, 2009-07-13, 08:05:19
All of the boys were very enthusiastic about the fact that there will be a new album in 2010, and a tour as well. Mick and Clive have been working on some ideas and John will probably contribute as well.

Probably more "Clive and Mick", but great that Mick and John are into the process as well  :)

Any news re ideas involved ?  Knowing Clive, he'l take some that are floating around in our collective mind atm  8)

And hopefully all the guys from Contagion and Pepper will be in the mix.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

aswas

You guys are so so lucky that you can even see them. Me over in Jax Fl don't ever stand a chance. I have to rely on the dvds. I heard the set list was short, but man just to see them live once.
don't fly... too close to the sun

Manatee

Quote from: aswas on Mon, 2009-07-13, 20:16:07
You guys are so so lucky that you can even see them. Me over in Jax Fl don't ever stand a chance. I have to rely on the dvds. I heard the set list was short, but man just to see them live once.

I said something similar at one point and got no sympathy because I live fairly close to where Dream Theater is from (never mind that I don't really like Dream Theater).  They'll have to get a little more creative for you -- maybe that you're within striking distance of Mastodon (who I do like).   ;)   I'm still trying to talk myself into going to 3RP in Pittsburgh, where IQ and It Bites are playing this year, but that's an awfully long drive for an old dude to make without someone suitable riding shotgun.  Simone Simons would do nicely.   8)
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Teunis

'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Nicky007

Quote from: aswas on Mon, 2009-07-13, 20:16:07

They don't come to Scandinavia either  :(

One of my friends, Claus Jensen, the founder of IntroMental, an experienced proggie and one of the very few Arena fans in Denmark, told me that Arena played in Christiania some years ago, the "free" town in Copenhagen. That's one of the places where you can usually attract rock enthusiasts - cheep beer, lotsa joints, and an uncommercial, amiable atmosphere. But only few people did come, and even fewer responded to the music. Guess Danes want somethin that kicks ass more, like Iron Maiden.

Sad, I can understand that the Arena guys dont wanna play in Denmark. But frustrating for me  :'(

Quote from: Manatee on Mon, 2009-07-13, 20:31:00
... never mind that I don't really like Dream Theater

You know, Greenie, that's really beginning to get at me  :o

I can live with the fact that my sister doesnt like DT, altho she is also a neighbor, living in Port Washington, but she's an r'n'b fan; but you, Greenie, with all your progginess  ::)

Have you at all listened to Another Day, Lifting Shadows, Take Away My Pain, Lines In The Sand, The Spirit Carries On, The Ministry Of Lost Souls ?

Now I have a good reason to drink a cold Guinness  ;D

I'm still trying to talk myself into going to 3RP in Pittsburgh, where IQ and It Bites are playing this year, but that's an awfully long drive for an old dude to make ...

But you have relatives close by, as far as I remember. Can't you combine the festival with a visit to them ?

Simone Simons would do nicely.   8)

You'd probably end up banging up the car instead  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2009-07-14, 12:50:29
You know, Greenie, that's really beginning to get at me  :o

I can live with the fact that my sister doesnt like DT, altho she is also a neighbor, living in Port Washington, but she's an r'n'b fan; but you, Greenie, with all your progginess  ::)

Have you at all listened to Another Day, Lifting Shadows, Take Away My Pain, Lines In The Sand, The Spirit Carries On, The Ministry Of Lost Souls ?

Deal with it, dude.   I have heard a good bit of but certainly not all DT.  As I've said before, there are some individual songs I think are good, but on the whole, they just don't to it for me.  I'll still continue to give em a try now and then, but don't hold yer breath (unless you're swimming underwater or something).

Now I have a good reason to drink a cold Guinness  ;D

You need a reason?  Oh dear, I hope I haven't offended St. Patrick by taking liberties.

But you have relatives close by, as far as I remember. Can't you combine the festival with a visit to them ?

If I have relatives near Pittsburgh, it's news to me (and to them, I'd wager).

You'd probably end up banging up the car instead  ;D

I'm willing to take that risk if she is.

boerti

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2009-07-12, 13:00:54

There's a vid on youtube, unfortunately the guy had more fun with a norwegian flag ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrUABSisPfk

maddox

Thanks for that, Boerti.

Oh eh.... Welcome to the Room.  ;)

boerti

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2009-07-15, 21:09:00
Thanks for that, Boerti.

Oh eh.... Welcome to the Room.  ;)

thanks ;)

Here's another vid of Billie Jean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4cKuDf7bCc

I liked their performance a lot and i liked especially that they didn't play the songs just like they are on the albums, Chosen for example sounded quite different to the album version (unfortunately the sound on the video doesn't do justice to the real live performance -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFhKG_rpmyQ

But the real nice thing about the band was something completely different: At the left side of the stage was kind of a meeting point, where fans and members of the different bands meeted after the performance and where you could get an autograph and take a pic or two with your favourite guy. Usually after 15-20 minutes that place was emptied except ... yes, you guess right, the Arena's. Clive was there quite a time, Rob appeared a bit later, John as well and John and Rob were there for nearly a complete hour. Nice thing, guys. I'm just not sure if that was when John started to have a drink or two cause he was later sitting in the middle of the audience and made a very drunk impression  ;D

If you're interested in a couple of more videos from the festival, take a look at this link -> http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=zauberstimmchen&view=favorites

Have fun
B.

aswas

thanks for that. I wanna see all I can, being I will never see the band live
don't fly... too close to the sun

maddox

Quote from: aswas on Fri, 2009-07-17, 21:53:21
thanks for that. I wanna see all I can, being I will never see the band live

You shouldn't say that.  ;)

I know a girl from Seatle who came all the way to the Netherlands just to see Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon/Stream Of Passion) in the flesh.  ;)
Oh. And also a girl from Fargo.  ;D

Manatee

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2009-07-17, 22:26:41
You shouldn't say that.  ;)

I know a girl from Seatle who came all the way to the Netherlands just to see Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon/Stream Of Passion) in the flesh.  ;)
Oh. And also a girl from Fargo.  ;D

I assume you mean a girl who was in the movie Fargo.  I've been to North Dakota, and I can say without fear of contradiction that it doesn't really exist, even while you're there.   ;)
Oh, and are they attractive?  If so, perhaps I can invite them on a comparatively short trip to exotic Pittsburgh for 3RP.    8)

bellanova

Just watched the boys on youtube. Must say, it was not the Arena i know and love but i still would have liked to have seen them.........again!!

maddox

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2009-07-17, 23:14:26
I assume you mean a girl who was in the movie Fargo.  I've been to North Dakota, and I can say without fear of contradiction that it doesn't really exist, even while you're there.   ;)
Oh, and are they attractive?  If so, perhaps I can invite them on a comparatively short trip to exotic Pittsburgh for 3RP.    8)

Eh actually she claimed that she has lived in Fargo in that time.  :-\

Even Google Maps says it exists.  :-\

Manatee

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2009-07-18, 16:46:23
Eh actually she claimed that she has lived in Fargo in that time.  :-\

Even Google Maps says it exists.  :-\

That's all part of the Great Fargo Conspiracy.   When you cross over the state line into North Dakota, there are actual signs that say "Welcome to North Dakota," but in fact, what's really happened is you've entered an alternate plane of existence that they haven't gotten around to furnishing yet.   8)