News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Ayreon!

Started by Appelmoes??, Wed, 2005-02-16, 21:04:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Appelmoes??

I waited till Peter opened an 'Ayreon-topic', but is seems he's busy ;)

So, what do think of Ayreon? Or maybe you've never heard of it (SHAME ON YOU!!) What's favourite album/song/artist performing on Ayreon/etc...

My favourite album is Into the Electric Castle. The story is über, the music is very complete, the songs stick in your mind, it has Sharon den Adel (What a voice) and Damian Wilson (Dito).

Best song imho is Dawn of a million souls, vocals by 'Sir' Russel Allen.

My favourite artist is Russel Allen (Damian is a close 2nd). He has this very powerfull voice, but can still sing these very soft parts... Marvelous!

And, to top it of, I was able to withness some Ayreon songs performed live during the Star One tour. The best gig I ever was. And after the gig I was able to talk to Arjen and the other artist's.

This was the result when Arjen suddenly saw a camera ;D
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Mark Jan

Ah, we're talking so much about Ayreon, so give it a topic!  ;D

I've just said it in another topic, but my favorite is The Final Experiment. A lot of variation, a great story and of course fantastic music. I like the different singers and the different types of instrument. A lot of guitar, a lot of old-sounding synthezisers (could have been the moog), some harpsichord and some mellotron (my favorite instrument)

His next albums Into the electric castle and The dream sequencer/Flight of the migrator are good albums but, in my opinion, they don't have the magic The Final experiment got. I'm not so impressed by Star One. Just a lot of rough guitarwork and very few fine melodies.

His latest album The human equation is impressive. Arjen collected a impressive cast with a lot of well known musicians. It's a massive piece of music, I like it, but in my opinion there is not so much variation between the different songs. I miss some nice instrumental parts, ok, Ken Hensley and Oliver Wakeman are playing a nice piece of keyboardwork, but that's it. But overall a very good album, The Human Equation.

Deenfan

I must say I find much to agree with in your post, Mark Jan. There certainly is a special mood about the first one, that he's never quite recreated later. I find it hard to decide what album is the best. I think they all have glorious moments and moments I could do without. But you can always expect a certain quality from Arjen. Although I agree 100% on your remarks about star one, it wasn't completely without merit. But generally the least satisfactory I've heard from him.

Favourite Ayreon tracks / (rating out of 6):

1.Loser / (6) - I haven't rated this album yet, but I know this one...
2.One small step / (6)
3.And the druids turn to stone / (5+)
4.Dawn of a million souls / (5+)
5.The castle hall / (5)
6.Abbey of Synn / (5)
7.My house on Mars / (5)
8.To the quasar / (5)

And the one's that got (5-) :
Back on planet earth
Computer eyes
Into the black hole
Swan song
The awareness
The charm of the seer
The dream sequencer
The dream sequencer reprise
Tower of hope

But other songs from "The human equation" may deserve a spot among the top ten. I'll know when I've had it for about a year.

POM

I began my Ayreon listening with Human Equation. Didn't have time enough to discover the previous albums (probably because after buying Human Equation, the 2 CD's where "stuck" in my car for month  ;D, it's was so good, I didn't want to out something else in the CDplayer... ).
Sometimes my boyfriend put other albums in his car, but the one I really know is Human Equation, and also other's Arjen works like Ambeon.

I love it  :-*  My favourite will probably be "Loser", but it may vary with my mood!  ;)

Peter

Good idea, Appelmoes, to start an Ayreon topic!

I never really know which one is my favourite album, prolly the one I'm listening to at that moment :)

The albums I prefer, though, are:

• The Human Equation: a truly ingenious album, can't stop playing it
  • Electric Castle: my first contact with Ayreon, really superb, too
  • Flight of the Migrator (CD2 of the Universal Migrator): when I need more metal, I listen to this one

I have two favourite tracks:

• To The Quasar (FotM)
  • Isis and Osiris (ItEC)

No favourite guest musicians/singers, really, I just like the large diversity in the projects Arjen sets up ;)

Oh, and I would really LOVE to see this stuff being performed live, but it seems I am two or three years late... As far as I understood Arjen's comments on his forum, he's basically tired of touring and everything, so chances are small that there will be a tour again. But never say never....
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Peter

The Final Experiment as well as Actual Fantasy and the Dream Sequencer don't really get to me as much as the others.
I recently bought Actual Fantasy Revisited when it came out, to hear how it would sound with 'real' instruments and it's sure a fine album, but not a killer, IMO.

Appelmoes??

Actual Fantasy is imo somewhat 'strange' since it's not a real rock-opera, no story and 'fixed' singers. Still I think it's a very good album, though the song at the end of the album don't reallly get me. Computer eyes sung by Edward Reekers (reallly warm voice) is my favourite of the album, and one of my Ayreon alltime Fav's.

ItEC was my first album to. I heard it at a friends place and bought the album asap. The other albums soon followed. I bought a couple of Vengeance albums to, some good old rock 'n roll 8) Ambeon en Star One I also bought the minute they were released. And the After Forever Single Emphasis - Who Wants To Live Forever. As the title says, it features the Queencover played with Ayreon and with guest vocalist Damian Wilson.

I really like the cover's Arjen makes, they really sound different from the originals (Space oddity)

I hope there will be another Star One album, cause such a projects will make a tour less difficult to plan, since there are less singers involved, and still there will be room for Ayreon songs. And Star One is always a good alternative if you're in the mood for some 'stronger' tunes :D

My drawings on MySpace

Mark Jan

I can understand that Arjen is tired of touring. I don't know how many gigs he played last time, but the fact that his music is widespread all over the world (I heard that he is very popular in Japan), he will be touring all around the world.

But he's not well known in The Netherlands, I think. Only within the progscene it's a well known name. I only know him for a couple of years. His fans call themselves The Ayreonauts. I think that your are real fans, Peter and Appelmoes, (at least more than I am), do you call yourselve an Ayreonaut?  ;D

Peter

Quote from: Mark Jan on Thu, 2005-02-17, 12:06:42But he's not well known in The Netherlands, I think. Only within the progscene it's a well known name.

Errr, well, 'Love' and 'Loser' from THE were in the dutch charts top 10, I believe....

QuoteHis fans call themselves The Ayreonauts. I think that your are real fans, Peter and Appelmoes, (at least more than I am), do you call yourselve an Ayreonaut?  ;D

Hehe, if someone did, I'd be honoured. I don't give myself such titles....  :-\

Mark Jan

Eeeuuuhh, really,  :-[ Well eeuuuh, then my statements are completely false.  :-\ Honestly, I don't follow the charts, because the progrock don't score very well in the charts. They are dominated by more popular music.

But it's clear that Arjen deserves a lot of attention and high positions in the charts!  ;)

Quote from: Peter on Thu, 2005-02-17, 13:29:03
Errr, well, 'Love' and 'Loser' from THE were in the dutch charts top 10, I believe....

Appelmoes??

The reason he doesn't tour (I think) is because it's very hard to get the vocalist's on his album to make some time available from their own busy schedule. That's why it was more or less possible with Star One. (Less artist's)
Anyway, I saw him live and it still gives me chills when I watch the DVD. Damian Wilson doing some acrobatics on the metal pillars ;D He climbed on them, and sang his song about 3 meters above the floor, to the delight of those standing on the balcony (Guess where I stood...)

My drawings on MySpace

Mark Jan

That's a good point Appelmoes!  ;D Never thought of it. It's a bit difficult or almost impossible to do a worldwide tour of The Human Equation. Hmmmm, collecting about 20 musicians, all busy with their own bands and activities. But ok, you are a lucky one who saw him live.  ;D

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Thu, 2005-02-17, 17:36:31
The reason he doesn't tour (I think) is because it's very hard to get the vocalist's on his album to make some time available from their own busy schedule. That's why it was more or less possible with Star One. (Less artist's)
Anyway, I saw him live and it still gives me chills when I watch the DVD. Damian Wilson doing some acrobatics on the metal pillars ;D He climbed on them, and sang his song about 3 meters above the floor, to the delight of those standing on the balcony (Guess where I stood...)

Appelmoes??

I wonder... What's your fav' character from ItEC? Mine is the 'Highlander', to bad he dies so soon :(

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Thu, 2005-02-17, 19:28:18
I wonder... What's your fav' character from ItEC? Mine is the 'Highlander', to bad he dies so soon :(

Hehe, mine also! Like Marillion -> Fish -> Ayreon, you know.... Love it.

Appelmoes??

This afternoon I bought the special edition of The Final Experiment. Disc 1 is still the same but added is a 2nd disc with semi-accoustic versions of 9 songs from the original. It's really a different ayreon sound, but, as is to be expected, it still sounds really great. Some of the vocalist are pretty unknown which gives the most songs a more or less new sound. imho Eyes of time never sounded better in this version with Ruud Houweling as vocalist and Esther Ladiges' clear voice is one I would like to hear on a new Ayreon album. Irene Jansen just keeps sounding better and better.

My drawings on MySpace

NijntjeRocks

Quote from: Mark Jan on Thu, 2005-02-17, 18:45:43
But ok, you are a lucky one who saw him live.  ;D
you can say that again ;)
I was there with appelmoes?? and his sister. Never been at such a gig ever again!
His last tour was, as said, with StarOne and he toured only in Europe (2 or 3 venues in Germany, 1 in France 1 in belgium and 3 in Holland)
That wasnt really to call a 'tour' ;)

However, you will meet him at various concerts in 'progland'.  For example Appelmoes?? en I have met him at a Threshold-gig a vew months ago.
But (sadly) he dint play along :(
You can hear him as guest artist on albums of a vew bands like Within Temptation and After Forever and in collaboration with that girl (whats her name again?? - Ambeon 'project') All durch btw, I dunno if you can find him on non-dutch albums...

The fact that he gets even a (female) singer from South America proofs he is well-known all over the globe.
Personally I'd like the fact that he always gives new, unknown musicians a chance to proof themselves a worthy artist - and he always comes up with great artists!
Nijntje=Miffy. Original Miffy: (in Dutch)

Appelmoes??

Quote from: NijntjeRocks on Mon, 2005-02-28, 18:53:39
and in collaboration with that girl (whats her name again?? - Ambeon 'project')
Astrid van der Veen, I think.

My drawings on MySpace

gelert

OK, so I understood this thread,as far as...

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2005-02-16, 21:04:20
I waited till Peter opened an 'Ayreon-topic', but it seems he's busy ;)
So, what do think of Ayreon? Or maybe you've never heard of it (SHAME ON YOU!!)

...after that, it slowly dawned on me, that everyone was "speaking in tongues"...

...and sadly, my Babelfish is not USB2 Compliant...  ;D

The bottom line is that I'm an "Ayreon-Virgin"...  :-[

(God, this is worse than 'Acronymics Anonymous'...
...Hello, my name is gelert, and I'm "great enthusiasm leaves everybody really tired"...etc...)

So...

What, in your opinion, is the best album to start with....BUT...

...please add "sounds like xxxx" alongside...

e.g. If you like "Old Marylion" or "Bendragno's Fly High, Fall Far", go for "Lion's Cage"...but if you're into "Nightwish" & "H.I.M", go for "Contagion"...etc, etc.

The best answers will receive a year's free subscription to The Arena Forum....er, it sez 'ere...
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Peter

I'd say, go back in time. Start with the current (The Human Equation), then try Into the Electric Castle. I left out the Universal Migrator, cos it's a rather difficult album, one CD featuring kinda 'ambient' music, the other one metal.

All people who ask me, what this or that Ayreon album sounds like, I mostly answer rather smart-assily: 'well, like Ayreon, mostly'  ;D  One can surely hear some Genesis, or Maiden or Dio or Manowar or Pink Floyd or whatever in Ayreon tracks, but what is that comparison good for....

Very fine reviews of the Ayreon albums (including sound-analogies) can be found on DPRP.net:

gelert

Cheers, Peter....

I'll ask Malc@GFT to send me both....

Sadly, you don't win a year's free subscription to The Arena forum...

...I've just heard that the moderator is a right tight-fisted b*stard, and won't give anything away for free...

C'est La Vie...  ;D

Celery, celery...
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Mark Jan

The Human Equation is more progmetal than progrock, I think. It's a very harmonious piece of music. With a lot of vocalist, all 'playing' their own role, supported by powerfull music. Sometimes it sounds a bit like threshold, but it's sometimes very different.

Appelmoes??

I think what's typical about Ayreon is that ghe uses very different styles troughout the albums. So you just can't label a album 'metal' (except for the Universal Migrator albums)

My drawings on MySpace

sotonrobin

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Tue, 2005-03-01, 17:55:33
I think what's typical about Ayreon is that ghe uses very different styles troughout the albums. So you just can't label a album 'metal' (except for the Universal Migrator albums)

Thats why I like his music so much, my fav example is Day 16 Loser from THE, how many metal tracks start with a didgeridoo and a violin.
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

Appelmoes??

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

I just received my copy of the Special Edition of The Final Experiment :)

Arjen put some of the responses he received about this album from record labels back in the early 90s (they all turned him down) on the inside of the back cover - hilarious. If you look at it from today's poit of view, they all surely bite their butts now.

Oops, language please!