News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Which groups are prog?

Started by Nicky007, Fri, 2007-09-07, 00:59:38

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-09-19, 16:24:03
Interesting - from Wikipedia, AOR: "A broad cross section of rock music that gained popularity during this time [early 70's] came to be called Progressive Rock, likely because the wide recognition and success of artists could be attributed to airplay on Progressive [radio] stations; much the way the College Rock label was given to bands that received air play on student-run college stations during the 1980s."

Nicky.

Not very interesting for me.  :-\ AOR is American Orientated Rock. You know, stuff like Journey and Survivor for example. Nice music with some impressive highlights but i wouldn't go that far to call it 'progressive'.  :-\
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

"Adult Orientated Rock"

It IS interesting.
It's a crossover to prog. People who like AOR are more likely to like prog than people who don't listen to AOR.

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2007-09-19, 16:49:31
Not very interesting for me.  :-\ AOR is American Orientated Rock. You know, stuff like Journey and Survivor for example. Nice music with some impressive highlights but i wouldn't go that far to call it 'progressive'.  :-\

Sorry, Maddox, but you didn't read that excerpt properly  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Peter

Here's the third possibility for them meaning of "AOR": Album Oriented Rock.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Nicky007

Quote from: Peter on Sun, 2007-09-23, 13:04:01
Here's the third possibility for the meaning of "AOR": Album Oriented Rock.

That's actually the original meaning, Cap (in case you didn't know). Then it became additionally "Adult-...". "American-..." is just Maddox's joke. (That guy's sooo funny. It's a speciality called "marshumor".)

Wikipedia - on AOR: "Album-oriented rock (sometimes referred to as Adult-oriented rock), abbreviated AOR and originally called album-oriented radio, was originally an American FM radio format focusing on album tracks by rock artists. This format developed and popularized the repertoire of music currently associated with Classic Rock."

However, the term AOR is seldomly used in serious music circles, because here all music is album oriented.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Erik, JJ, and Mdread666, with all your prog experience, maybe you guys would like to contribute to our discussion on which groups are prog.

There were about 50 groups that landed easily on our list of prog groups, but then we (Maddox, John, Paco, Bluey, Bupie, Bella, and I) got into a stalemate. So it would be great with some more expert votes and opinions, also on the groups on the "definitely prog" list.

All other roomies are welcome too to contribute.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

erik

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-10-02, 11:13:24
Erik, JJ and Mdread666, with all your prog experience, maybe you guys would like to contribute to our discussion on which groups are prog.

There were about 50 groups that landed easily on our list of prog groups, but then we (Maddox, John, Paco, Bluey, Bupie, Bella, and I) got into a stalemate. So it would be great with some more expert votes and opinions, also on the groups on the "definitely prog" list.

All other roomies are welcome too to contribute.

Nicky.
Oh dear, I had already been dreading to open and read this thread... ::) Thanks for the invite Nicky, I will ponder a bit more and get back on this. For now suffice to say that:

0 I'm more a "revisionist" (or "inclusive" so to say) than a "purist" and for instance later era Talk Talk (Spirit Of Eden and Laughing Stock) is prog in my book!

0 As for genres, labelling and definitions: Prog Archives distinguishes these sub-genres:

PROG SUB-GENRES: Canterbury Scene - Crossover Prog (old: Art Rock) - Eclectic Prog - Experimental/Post-Rock - Indo-Prog/Raga Rock - Italian Symphonic Prog - Jazz Rock/Fusion - Heavy Prog - Krautrock - Neo Progressive - Prog Folk - Progressive Electronic - Progressive Metal - Psychedelic/Space Rock - RIO/Avant-Prog - Symphonic Prog - Zeuhl - Various Genres/Artists - Prog Related - Proto-Prog

They all have definitions and key albums listed (based on user ratings), for instance:

Proto-Prog definition: Rock Bands in existence prior to 1969 that influenced the development of progressive rock. The late 60's was a predominately experimental period for music. These bands were moving in a stream that eventually led to prog. The influence could have come from new sophisticated forms of writing and playing music, recording techniques, new instruments and vocal harmonies to name a few. Some of these bands became progressive rock bands themselves others did not.
Examples: Beatles, The Who, Procul Harum, etc
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Nicky007

Erik, I suggest that you (and others) include as much as possible initially, and then we can see what other roomies think. I consider that the criterion of three votes from roomies is still appropriate. We can hope to end up on somewhat common ground. Till now noone seems to have disapproved violently.

I find that the discussions under this topic have been very interesting.

And thanks for your reference to Progarchives. I'm going there now to find out what the heck Zeuhl, RIO, and Canterbury are - never heard of'm.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

So, now that it's a bit quiet here in the Room, maybe we can get a bit further with this topic.

Man, one really has to grab people by the b* to get stuff done here  ::)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-10-23, 13:03:10
Man, one really has to grab people by the b* to get stuff done here  ::)
Guess that means I'm no longer part of the discussion?  ;D

Nicky007

So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

What??  :o

Nicky007

Bluey, you think we might be getting off-topic here?

I think they'd have evening classes in anatomy in Krautville .......  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Getting off-topic is my speciality - thought you had realized that by now.  ;)

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-10-23, 14:02:00
I think they'd have evening classes in anatomy in Krautville .......  ;D
Perhaps, but I don't think I need to attend them.  :P
I know what you meant, I was just shocked.