News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

How did you become a fan?

Started by POM, Fri, 2005-02-11, 09:44:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Appelmoes??

That's allready too much detail for me :-\
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Constable Hogweed

Quote from: Peter on Tue, 2005-02-22, 09:35:01
More details, please ;)

Its quite innocent really. Honest. Just don't add the cane sugar.  :o ;)

womble

A very nice lady who used to be known as Sue Element lent me a slew of CDs, which included Songs fro the Lions Cage. Enough for me...

Pascalj

I became a fan when i've heard 'The visitor', since i'm a fan-club member, i've all the albums, cool.. 8)

The Fury

An uncle of mine had a colleague who was into prog. I had already discovered Genesis and Marillion and asked him if this guy could write down some more bands that were worth while and he gave me this note which included the name 'Arena'. I went to the local library to rent 'Songs from the Lions Cage' and the rest is history. All this took place in 1997, my first gig being The Paradiso concert of the 'The Visitor-Tour' 1998. Since then I bought practically everything Arena. The only thing still missing in my collection is the Lionhearted-tape :-(
Why do you laugh at my hopeless appeal for your mercy?

The Voyager

I've known about new prog-act featuring ex-Marillion drummer and Pendragon's keyboard player. My expectations proved true. :)

Teunis

I got into 'prog' by hearing Ayreon in the local record shop. Bought it immediately. Subscribed on the Ayreon mailing list and someone mentioned Arena. Clive Nolan participated on Ayreon releases too. I visited the Arena website after reading reviews on www.dprp.net which were very positive. After hearing 'The Butterfly man' at the download page I ordered 'Immortal?' a few months ago and what an album that is! Recently I bought 'Pepper's Ghost'. Last week 'The visitor' and 'Contagion'. I'm enjoying all those albums very much, it's very unpredictable music IMO, so it never gets boring. Now I have ordered 'The cry'. Trying to get all the releases complete, but have to save money first  ;).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

crimsontears

i became a big fan after my band recorded at clive nolans studio "Thin ice".. must say very glad i did become a fan :) and studio was top notch as well. recording got us alot of new fans  :D

Appelmoes??

Quote from: crimsontears on Sat, 2005-03-19, 00:29:22
i became a big fan after my band recorded at clive nolans studio "Thin ice".. must say very glad i did become a fan :) and studio was top notch as well. recording got us alot of new fans  :D
Got some of your stuff online so we can listen to it? (Believe me, we will be nice ;D )

My drawings on MySpace

gelert

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Tue, 2005-03-22, 21:49:04
Got some of your stuff online so we can listen to it? (Believe me, we will be nice ;D )

Hear, hear...
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Robo_1

It's a tradition for me and my girlfriend to buy a new album just before we go on holiday, as something to listen to in the car on the way. Fresh out of ideas, we went into a second hand music store for inspiration (this is about three years ago) and after a further hour of fruitless searching, I noticed the odd looking cover of The Visitor. Both being Marillion fans, I thought I'd see how Mick had done for himself after leaving them, and plumped up the cash (11 euros for the curious types ;)). So in the car, on the way to Austria and I stuck it on. Well you can imagine the reaction, not knowing what to expect, we were treated to something which mixed the passion of Marillion (and in many places excelled), the musical sensibilities of Genesis and the creative energy of every truly good prog rock band there has ever been. The rest of the holiday was spent walking and shopping (mostly music shopping ;D) and the love affair was firmly solidified with Contagion, an album so full of musical richness and variety, that it beggars belief how Arena aren't one of the biggest bands in the Rock world. Anyway, Arena and Threshold are currently my two favourite bands in the prog scene, and long may they both continue.

Moonloop

Quote from: Robo_1 on Sat, 2005-03-26, 20:42:16
It's a tradition for me and my girlfriend to buy a new album just before we go on holiday, as something to listen to in the car on the way. Fresh out of ideas, we went into a second hand music store for inspiration (this is about three years ago) and after a further hour of fruitless searching, I noticed the odd looking cover of The Visitor. Both being Marillion fans, I thought I'd see how Mick had done for himself after leaving them, and plumped up the cash (11 euros for the curious types ;)). So in the car, on the way to Austria and I stuck it on. Well you can imagine the reaction, not knowing what to expect, we were treated to something which mixed the passion of Marillion (and in many places excelled), the musical sensibilities of Genesis and the creative energy of every truly good prog rock band there has ever been. The rest of the holiday was spent walking and shopping (mostly music shopping ;D) and the love affair was firmly solidified with Contagion, an album so full of musical richness and variety, that it beggars belief how Arena aren't one of the biggest bands in the Rock world. Anyway, Arena and Threshold are currently my two favourite bands in the prog scene, and long may they both continue.

Your girlfriend liked it  :o , WOW, I'm impressed  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Peter

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-03-29, 09:30:35
Your girlfriend liked it  :o , WOW, I'm impressed  ;D

Yes, let her register, too, so the male-female-ratio gets better ;)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Gollum

Let's see how far can my english go  ;)

I got into Arena through two steps:
First, I learned that Arena existed. I was 12 when I started listening to Marillion and Rush, then Yes, then Genesis... By the age of 15 I was a prog-adict, and got to know some prog-rock radio program in my homeland, "The Musical Box". It was 1996, and I heard about a lot of "still alive" prog bands that I didn't know, including Pendragon, wich I liked a lot. Eventually, my older brother bought some Pendragon albums in 1997, I became a fan, and when they spoke of Arena in that program I couldn't help freezing at the sound of the names Nolan and Pointer. I wanted to hear some since then, but it wasn't until 2000 when my brother (again; I used to be a parasite :P) bought The Visitor.
Step two: liking it.  My brother didn't like it much, but to me it was "love at first listening" :P I kept playing The Visitor on and on, and as soon as I knew Immortal? was out I wanted to try it. Bad news is that I had stopped listening to that radio program, what meant I lost my only prog-rock news source, and I missed Arena live in Buenos Aires, a gig that started with Moviedrome  :( Anyway, Immortal? was my birthday persent on 2001 and confirmed that Arena was THE band to me. I still have  "oldies" as fav bands, but the only one that keeps me anxious for new releases, the one that I always expect to get better is Arena.
Being my age, I'm really happy of having found a band with this characteristic  :D (imagine - Fish left Marillion 6 years before I first listened to it!  :P)
La vergüenza de haber sido y el dolor de ya no ser

Ocean_Angel

Hi there. I've been a fan of ARENA for about 2 years. A great friend of mine one day decided to "introduce" to the marvellous world of ARENA by playing "Solomon" from the album "Songs from a Lion's Cage" for me and I listened to the song 4 times over... and since then I've been addicted to ARENA... 

Ocean_Angel

Hi, it's me again. After being addicted to ARENA for 2 years, I have the joy of watching recently (9th April) at the Gouveia ArtRock 2005 (in the city of Gouveia-Portugal). Even more joy for my friend who introduced to ARENA, he's got a photo with Clive Nolan.

gelert

Quote from: Ocean_Angel on Tue, 2005-04-12, 20:04:06
Hi, it's me again. After being addicted to ARENA for 2 years, I have the joy of watching recently (9th April) at the Gouveia ArtRock 2005 (in the city of Gouveia-Portugal). Even more joy for my friend who introduced to ARENA, he's got a photo with Clive Nolan.

It's an old Arena promotion gimmick...

The more photos you take, the more Clive Nolans you get....!

Collect enough "Clive Nolans" and you win...oh I don't know these days...?

Help me out, Peter...what do you win...?
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Peter

Quote from: gelert on Tue, 2005-04-12, 20:17:26
Help me out, Peter...what do you win...?

em,... lemme see,....
This year we again have our ever popular 'Eternal Fame Certificates'....Signed by the band members, very picturesque for walls of any color ;)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

gelert

Well, I collected 18 "Clive Nolans"...

...but I put them in a jamjar...with holes in the lid so that they could breathe...

And they escaped.

I think that the cat got them.

Can I get a nice "Scissor Sisters" poster instead...?

Ocean_Angel

Well, my friend only has one photo of Clive Nolan  :D, but I'm going to pass the message on to him...

Appelmoes??

I got a picture of me and Arjen Lucassen, does that count? Clive played on one of his albums, I'm a 'arena fan', so that count up to 1 point I think ;D

My drawings on MySpace

Herben

Hello, I became a fan after reading a cd magazine from a CD shop, I looked at the page symphonic music and there was the writing about Arena being the smaller brother of Marillion, I always liked the music from Marillion very much so I decided to give it a try.
The first album I bought was Immortal!? to me it was the most Marillionlike album of the band, I found it a great album, afterwards I bought the rest of it I liked it very much, especially the songs Solomon, Jericho, A state of Grace (one of my favourites), the Healer and much more.
That was for me the reason to become a member of the fanclub, I've never seen a concert yet that's maybe a shame maybe in the future.
Of the latest album was my favourite: Lara Moon maybe a good top 40 hit, but the most of the top 40 hits are shit.
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Clive

I used to keep missing Queen gigs, and argue that I would see them sometime 'in the future'... then it suddenly wasn't possible anymore (I'm talking the real Queen with 'Sir Fred').... Don't wait forever to see Arena... :)

keyboardistmatt

I found "A Crack In The Ice" on a magazine sample CD back in 1998.  It blew me away!  So I checked out the magazine for details of the album, and found a picture of the Visitor album cover.  It looked great... very intriguing!   8)

So I set about going out around the Poole & Bournemouth area (my hometown) to find a music store that
1) Had staff
2) Had a CD ordering facility, and
3) Could at least attempt to talk and be nice as opposed to GRUNT.  :(

Well, it didn't happen, so I resorted to mail order instead!  :)
Since then, I have brought every Arena album I can, and when I connected to the internet, moved to ordering albums through the Verglas website!  ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

The_Lurker

Hi!

Constable Hogweed mailed me some tapes of the band's recordings to listen to in the car. It wasn't long before I started buying up the CDs. I still have a few to add to the collection, as they aren't easy to come by over here in the U.S., but I will one day complete my Arena catalog. My first purchase was Contagion, as that one was the current album at the time. Thanks Hogweed for opening my eyes (and ears) to a great band, and for forcing more money out of my already stretched bank account!  ;)