News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Prog Archives

Started by Xanxtuary, Sun, 2005-08-07, 16:32:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanxtuary

If you're in search of prog bands that are new to you, try www.progarchives.com which is a rich source of prog bands from all over the world.  There are some categories such as Psychedelic, Art Rock, Jazz Fusion, etc, included in there too, but surely something  for all lovers of intelligent music.

Some of the featured bands offer free mp3 downloads to get you started, and I believe you can add to the blurb on the bands and add an mp3 track of a band which you wish to promote on there too.  I would imagine that you'd have to have the band's permission to do so, but it's a good way of promoting obscure prog bands and making sure that their name gets around for others to see.

Arena are on there already, and happily not so obscure anyways!
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

Moonloop

Thanks, will check it out later  ;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Peter

I participated a while in the forums there, but I found it mostly kindergaten'ish...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Teunis

I found it a good idea. On various forum and lists I read recommendations of bands. Now I have checked a lot of those bands out and have an idea what I like and what is garbage IMO. Have heard some good stuff of Pallas, Threshold, Shadow Gallery, Mostly Autumn. Didn't like Rush, Therion, Symphony X for example. So ......... thanks for the link.

About the forum: there's no one that can reach the level of 'The Shattered Room'  ;D.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Moonloop

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2005-08-08, 11:25:13
I found it a good idea. On various forum and lists I read recommendations of bands. Now I have checked a lot of those bands out and have an idea what I like and what is garbage IMO. Have heard some good stuff of Pallas, Threshold, Shadow Gallery, Mostly Autumn. Didn't like Rush, Therion, Symphony X for example. So ......... thanks for the link.

About the forum: there's no one that can reach the level of 'The Shattered Room'  ;D.

Didn't like Rush  :o

Maybe you picked the wrong album/track  ;)

Teunis

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-08-09, 09:46:20
Didn't like Rush  :o

Maybe you picked the wrong album/track  ;)
Can be, this music was not my cup of tea. But I don't like tea as well :D.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

erik

It may not everybody's cup of tea, but they have made a load of albums and passed through various "periods" so there may be something for you too.

I think they're great. Saw them live for the first time last year and they blew us away for 3,5 hours!

Ah, Mick is a big Rush fan by the way!
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Moonloop

Quote from: Teunis on Tue, 2005-08-09, 16:07:24
Can be, this music was not my cup of tea. But I don't like tea as well :D.

Don't like Tea  :o

Maybe you picked the wrong brand  ;)

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Moonloop on Wed, 2005-08-10, 11:09:55
Don't like Tea  :o

Maybe you picked the wrong brand  ;)

I hear Tetley's quite good... ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Xanxtuary

Can't beat a nice cup of PG Tips!

But then you're supposed to drink it ... not beat it!  8)
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

gelert

Hot off the Internet:

They say that "a watched kettle never boils"....

Well, I filled-up a kettle, plugged it in, watched it all of the time, and guess what...!

It boiled.

Regards,
BillyNoMates...

Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Peter

Off Topic... tsk tsk tsk

bundy

Quote from: Peter on Mon, 2005-08-08, 09:42:57
I participated a while in the forums there, but I found it mostly kindergaten'ish...

You ought to check out

http://www.progressiveears.com

if you're not already familiar with it. This board is frequented by some VERY serious hardcore prog fans. It's the place that aroused my interest in the 70s Italian prog scene and introduced me to the likes of Banco, PFM, Museo Rosenbach and Goblin. The site also has a lot of fans of the Canterbury scene and Zeuhl. Highly recommended to serious prog fans!! 

Peter

Actually, it seems like I'm not really a 'progger'. Most of the stuff just bores me. I try to listen to much of the stuff the guys on dprp.net make reviews for, if I can find it, but most of it falls into my "Gejammer und Gedudel" category, which basically means "cant & tootle" (translation by dict.leo.org).

Nicky007

Quote from: Peter on Tue, 2005-09-13, 16:18:06
"cant & tootle"

;D

How about "moaning and groaning", Cap ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Peter

Hehe,

until today I would have put "moaning and groaning" into the "Private Noises Coming From the Bedroom Down the Hall" section :)

Nicky007

In native English social circles, you can still use that expression to describe music (derogatorily) without people getting the sorta associations you refer to, Cap. Aint that so, Greenie ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2009-12-08, 18:40:47
In native English social circles, you can still use that expression to describe music (derogatorily) without people getting the sorta associations you refer to, Cap. Aint that so, Greenie ?

Nicky.

Assuming you mean native English-speakers (else I, as a colonial barbarian, don't qualify), I suppose you could refer to badly-sung music as moaning and groaning, but my first reaction would be more like Peter's.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Peter

I really love discussing language... actually, when I was about 18, I really wanted to do my studies in Anglistics, but I lacked the "Great Latin" certificate... and a monetary perspective :)

Nicky007

You guys are so h*y  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can