News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Ayreon!

Started by Appelmoes??, Wed, 2005-02-16, 21:04:20

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Appelmoes?? thinks otherwise.

And I'm not really going to find out whether he's right or not.
But he's definately going to be sorry for selling his Symphony X album to me! ;D
You can still go back, Appy!

-Paco

Appelmoes??

No, I listened to it twice and REALLY disliked it. I think it compares to nothing the've done before. Just some loud and heavy music... I've your name is Symphony X, you might want to emphasize the symphonic part instead of the decibels :-\
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Deenfan

They've done their best in the past. It's gotten too extreme, ugly and what's with the guitars being louder than everything else put together?!?!?

bluepony

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2008-03-21, 19:28:19
I just want to inform you that you've made a good choice. Great album Bluey!! :)

Cheers, Tom
Well, I hope so!

In case I don't like it, maybe I can sell it to you, Tom?  ;)

maddox

Quote from: Deenfan on Sat, 2008-03-22, 14:43:18
They've done their best in the past. It's gotten too extreme, ugly and what's with the guitars being louder than everything else put together?!?!?

I agree if you say that their latest isn't their best but i wouldn't, personally of course, say that it is their weakest album to date.
It's pretty rough, agreed but there are plenty of good moments on PL.

The title track for instance is really good. And what to think of Revelation?

I'd say it's a great album.  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

I think Paradise Lost is an excellent album!
Not really too heavy at all.
It's supposed to be heavy... it's a metal band... :-\

-Paco

bluepony

Er... I personally think, Paradise Lost is an excellent band!  ;D

maddox

Quote from: bluepony on Sat, 2008-03-22, 16:40:37
Er... I personally think, Paradise Lost is an excellent band!  ;D

Oh yeah, i agree.  *horns*

Up until Icon that is.  ;)

Oh and their latest? That one is also good.  8)

bluepony

I first met them when "Draconian Times" was released which, in my opinion, still is one of their best albums ever. Of course I made myself familiar with their back catalogue, but I must admit that I like them best since Nick has given up grunting!

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: bluepony on Sat, 2008-03-22, 16:07:51
In case I don't like it, maybe I can sell it to you, Tom?  ;)

I'm so sorry to disappoint you, but I already have it! Bought it on my trip to New York....ahhh great memories! :)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

bluepony

No problem, Tom - I think if it's an Evanescence album, it can't be that bad.

maddox

Quote from: bluepony on Sat, 2008-03-22, 16:45:39
I first met them when "Draconian Times" was released which, in my opinion, still is one of their best albums ever. Of course I made myself familiar with their back catalogue, but I must admit that I like them best since Nick has given up grunting!

Agree on both points. Nick did a better job not grunting and to be honest i really really hated the grunts, any grunts for that matter in those days.
Draconian Times is indeed outstanding though i think that Icon is just as good.

Deenfan

Yeah, Maddox, there are things in their past that are poor compared to the last album, but I sorely miss stuff like "Winter's dream" and much of the "...tragedy" stuff.

Grunts are horrible. To be on topic: Arjen has managed to make it fit, sort of. It would still be better without it, but it's never been used this well in the past by anyone. I hear people say it's a cool effect. Well, yeah, maybe, but why grunt throughout an album, then? -As some does. It's no longer an effect, it's the normal run-of-the-mill way of the album as a whole.

maddox

I think Arjen did a very good job with the Growls/grunts on the Ayreon albums though i must admit i don't really like it on TFE.
It's an extra addition to the music and it doesn't bother me a bit. In fact it makes the songs much better then if it was without the growls/grunts.
Trauma for instance.
I can't imagine that song without it.

bluepony

Ok, now I'm really curious! Once I switched off the computer, I'll go straight to my room and listen to the new Ayreon album!!

Deenfan

It was worst on TFE, agreed.

PH

Agreed about the grunts on TFE.

But the grunts on THE are somehow brilliant.

Yes I am Paco.

gelert

Y / 89 is better on the third (11th) listen.

Personally speaking, 01000101 might have been a better title though.  ;D
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Peter

Quote from: gelert on Mon, 2008-03-24, 22:42:33
Y / 89 is better on the third (11th) listen.

Personally speaking, 01000101 might have been a better title though.  ;D

Hehe, get Mr. L's cell phone number then, and tell him!
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

PH

Arjen's phone number:
06-01011001

Appelmoes??

For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

maddox

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-03-25, 07:25:04
Arjen's phone number:
06-01011001

;D

Good one.  ;)

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Peter on Tue, 2008-03-18, 19:51:53
gelert... GELERT?! Is that you? I mean, YOU?! great to see you're still up and running :)

Cool! - Seconded!

I'd like to persoally welcome gelert back to the forum after a 2 year absence.

:)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

gelert

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Mon, 2008-04-07, 01:19:55
Cool! - Seconded!

I'd like to persoally welcome gelert back to the forum after a 2 year absence.

:)

Thanks Matt!

Two years eh?

Well, as I proved at my appeal that eventually saw my release, it wasn't me fraudulently passing-off widdley keyboard solos as "quality progressive rock"...it was someone that I met in a pub once, called Lord Lucan.  :o

Just as well I'm back though...the quality of spelling has dropped to a persoally personally unacceptable level...  :-*
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: gelert on Mon, 2008-04-07, 12:32:02
Just as well I'm back though...the quality of spelling has dropped to a persoally personally unacceptable level...  :-*

You'll get around that. You could always ask The Taxman for his correspondance dictionary!  ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt