News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Shadow Gallery

Started by Rafal, Thu, 2005-06-09, 16:57:02

Previous topic - Next topic

keyboardistmatt

Not every artist puts 80 minutes of music on a CD, though!  Some CD albums only contain 45-50 minutes. :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Peter

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Wed, 2005-10-12, 22:41:32
Not every artist puts 80 minutes of music on a CD, though!  Some CD albums only contain 45-50 minutes. :)

Or maybe 52'ish, which I simply can't stop feeling like it's a little too short everytime I listen to it :D
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Moonloop

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Wed, 2005-10-12, 22:41:32

Very true - and they're usually the better ones  ;)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Spad

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-10-13, 08:55:00
Very true - and they're usually the better ones  ;)

... I think we can't do any rules including all the cases..... you are all rights.... and all wrong at the same time. I mean.... Dream Theater has (almost) always put out 70-80 minutes album and their incredible value is out of discussion....

On the contrary the IQ-trend for example, is setting at about 40-50 minutes and even in this case the musical quality is very high....

I prefer not to name the bad examples of both trends (long or short albums) as each of us has his/her personal ideas about this...... but it's a matter of fact that we could find bad albums (or better... albums we dislike) 40 or 80 minutes long.

Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

Moonloop

Quote from: Spad on Thu, 2005-10-13, 14:15:47
... I think we can't do any rules including all the cases..... you are all rights.... and all wrong at the same time. I mean.... Dream Theater has (almost) always put out 70-80 minutes album and their incredible value is out of discussion....

On the contrary the IQ-trend for example, is setting at about 40-50 minutes and even in this case the musical quality is very high....

I prefer not to name the bad examples of both trends (long or short albums) as each of us has his/her personal ideas about this...... but it's a matter of fact that we could find bad albums (or better... albums we dislike) 40 or 80 minutes long.

Agreed. I was really referring to my personal preference for lengths of albums. Growing up with vinyl, I'm used to 2 sides of approx 20 mins..!! I still maintain though that most albums of 60-80 mins or whatever contain at least some filler material.

If bands record so much material, then I'd prefer to see a main disc of around 40-50 mins with a bonus disc of the rest, just to keep the top drawer tracks separate  ;D

Erendis

I like SG - more than DT (because SDOIT / ToT / Octavarium -  don´t like them all)

Room V is a great album -typical Shadow Gallery but nevertheless great.

My favourite SG song is "Destination Unknown". I love the Voice of Mike Baker (and was glad he sung for Arjen ;) )

And the lengths of an Album... hmmm, some shorties like Dark Matter (IQ) and Blackfield are o.k. - great music, but when the CD ends, somethings missing, it´s too short 
 it leaves with the feeling there must be more....without changing CD ;)
Music of the future will not entertain
it´s only ment to repress and neutralise your brain

sotonrobin

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-10-13, 15:13:13
Agreed. I was really referring to my personal preference for lengths of albums. Growing up with vinyl, I'm used to 2 sides of approx 20 mins..!!

I also grew up with vinyl, and I always hoped that the next album by fav band at the time would release a double or even triple disc, as just I as I was getting into the album it would finish.

So I'm one of the ones who prefer the longer cd's (as well as epic tracks), to me all cd's hould be the length of Ayreons "The Human Equation" 100 mins+ (Double disc's), but then I'm just greedy or is it too lazy to change keep changing discs.

"Mostly Autumn" (my fav band) , their latest release "Storms over still water" clocks in at apporx 52 mins, whilst all the others over the magic hour, but thank good no reduction in quality.
Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

Spad

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-10-13, 15:13:13
I still maintain though that most albums of 60-80 mins or whatever contain at least some filler material.

If bands record so much material, then I'd prefer to see a main disc of around 40-50 mins with a bonus disc of the rest, just to keep the top drawer tracks separate  ;D

100% agree... I wasn't able to explain so clearly....  :D
Yes.... in longs album there is too often filler material...... but it's better a bonus CD than lose that material at all!!!!

A clear example I think are The Flower Kings.... though they are one my fav. band of all, I have to admit that all their albums (especially the double ones!!!) contain filler material wich, nevertheless, I would be disappointed if it had to be cut out from the album....... The solution of the bonus CD is ever the best......  ;D  ;D

Bye.
Spad.

Moonloop

Quote from: sotonrobin on Thu, 2005-10-13, 16:13:32
"Mostly Autumn" (my fav band) , their latest release "Storms over still water" clocks in at apporx 52 mins, whilst all the others over the magic hour, but thank good no reduction in quality.

Interesting you should say that, can't really think of any filler on any of the MA albums (LOTR excepted) but I'd much prefer the new one if the last track wasn't on it - seems superfluous to me and spoils the high of the penultimate track  :)

Incidentally, are you getting Iain Jennings solo album..?? I'm expecting it any day now - very curious as to what musical style it will be  8)

Moonloop

Quote from: Spad on Thu, 2005-10-13, 16:15:50
100% agree... I wasn't able to explain so clearly....  :D
Yes.... in longs album there is too often filler material...... but it's better a bonus CD than lose that material at all!!!!

A clear example I think are The Flower Kings.... though they are one my fav. band of all, I have to admit that all their albums (especially the double ones!!!) contain filler material wich, nevertheless, I would be disappointed if it had to be cut out from the album....... The solution of the bonus CD is ever the best......  ;D  ;D

Bye.
Spad.

TFK are a great band and example..!! "Unfold The Future" is two 78 minute discs. REALLY heavy going - and it's still in my new releases pile  ;D

Spad

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-10-13, 16:41:32
TFK are a great band and example..!! "Unfold The Future" is two 78 minute discs. REALLY heavy going - and it's still in my new releases pile  ;D

Yeah!!! "Unfold The Future" is probably my favourite Kings' album and "The Truth Will Set You Free", I'll never be tired of repeating it, is (ever IMO of course... ) the best epic ever composed!!!!

I can only suggest you to listen to Unfold little by little, starting for example just with The Truth considering it the entire album.......!!  ;)
Neverhteless it's avery heavy listening in its entirety......

sotonrobin

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-10-13, 16:39:01
Interesting you should say that, can't really think of any filler on any of the MA albums (LOTR excepted) but I'd much prefer the new one if the last track wasn't on it - seems superfluous to me and spoils the high of the penultimate track  :)

Incidentally, are you getting Iain Jennings solo album..?? I'm expecting it any day now - very curious as to what musical style it will be  8)

I agree with you about the 'Tomorrow' (the last track), as much as I like the track It shouldn't be the final track, or at least not following 'Carpe Diem' (my fav. on the cd) and the title track 'Storms over still water'. It's as if they are trying to copy Genesis's 'Wind and Wuthering' with the final medley instrumental 'Los Endos'.

As too Iain Jennings I am waiting for the solo album to arrive, I was hoping to get it the last time I saw them, but the usual story when you're waiting for something 'It has been delayed', just like the Stream of Passion's 'Embrace the Storm'. It should be interesting listening to Olivia Sparnen instead of Heather Findlay with the MA boys (Well some of them). If she sings half as good as she looked the other night then Wow.

Because he was human
Because he had goodness
Because he was moral
They called him insane

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: sotonrobin on Thu, 2005-10-13, 16:13:32
I also grew up with vinyl, and I always hoped that the next album by fav band at the time would release a double or even triple disc, as just I as I was getting into the album it would finish.

So I'm one of the ones who prefer the longer cd's (as well as epic tracks), to me all cd's hould be the length of Ayreons "The Human Equation" 100 mins+ (Double disc's), but then I'm just greedy or is it too lazy to change keep changing discs.

I completely agree.  It seems that most good albums tend to end too quickly leaving the listener wanting more.  I felt that way with Contagion, until I discovered that there were two EPs coming.
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

Deenfan

Quote from: Wilford Jr. on Thu, 2005-10-13, 22:29:30
I completely agree.  It seems that most good albums tend to end too quickly leaving the listener wanting more.  I felt that way with Contagion, until I discovered that there were two EPs coming.

I think leaving the listener wanting more is better than leaving him satisfied. (full, fed up, not wanting more.. depends on how you put it. but wanting more sounds good, though!?)

Teunis

A very old thread, but why open a new one when there's an old one?

Just read this news from Shadow Gallery (blog on their MySpace):
Update - short and simple
July 22, 2009

The band is at the mixing stage for their new album.
A release date will be posted in two weeks.

Great news  8). I'm so curious who will replace the fantastic voice of Mike Baker.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

maddox

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2009-07-22, 20:39:11
A very old thread, but why open a new one when there's an old one?

Just read this news from Shadow Gallery (blog on their MySpace):
Update - short and simple
July 22, 2009

The band is at the mixing stage for their new album.
A release date will be posted in two weeks.

Great news  8). I'm so curious who will replace the fantastic voice of Mike Baker.

I know a few things about this.

It's very likely that Brent Altman, Carl Cadden-james and Gary Wehrkamp will sing on this album, which if all goes well will be released around October this year.
There will be at least one guest appearance on the album and that is likely to be D.C. Cooper.

I've read on the Facebook-page of Shadow Gallery that the recording time has finished and it's now mixing time.

Not long to wait i guess.

I still hope and even pray that Mike has recorded some demo's and that the band will use that on the album.
It'll be a great farewell if the album would end with a song with Mike on it!  8)
Time will tell.

The tragedy is that they just started to work on the album when Mike died.

I'm veryyy anxiously waiting this release, i can tell you.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Teunis

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2009-07-22, 22:42:38
It's very likely that Brent Altman, Carl Cadden-james and Gary Wehrkamp will sing on this album, which if all goes well will be released around October this year.
There will be at least one guest appearance on the album and that is likely to be D.C. Cooper.
Ok, thanks for the info.

I still hope and even pray that Mike has recorded some demo's and that the band will use that on the album.
It'll be a great farewell if the album would end with a song with Mike on it!  8)
Time will tell. The tragedy is that they just started to work on the album when Mike died.

I was hoping too that already a few songs were recorded with Mike. We'll see.

I'm veryyy anxiously waiting this release, i can tell you.
+1  *horns*
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

maddox

Announcement from Gary Wehrkamp:

Quote from: GaryHEY Everyone!

It has been a long time since I have been here.

Yes, the rumors are true- Shadow Gallery has completed a new record.
Just 30 minutes ago, I finished the final reference mix.
If I drank beer, I would be having one right now, toasting myself to the reduction in studio hours I can expect starting tomorrow!
The last 12 days have been sub-mixing here at New Horizon Music Studios, but the real magic is still happening with Rich Mouser at Mousehouse Studios who is doing the final stages prior to Mastering which is next and scheduled for roughly a week or two from now.
It is too soon to state release dates yet, but it could be late October or early November.

I will check back here next week sometime and give you guys some more information if I can. We are not announcing singers or song titles yet, so you'll have to wait on that.

Carl, Brendt and myself do sing more on this album, but we are not the main lead vocalist. You will hear a lot of our voices on this record though. I think Brendt and I added more BG vocals on this record than any other.

There are a few guests and changes on this record and this information will be posted when the promotion gets underway.

It has been really wonderful to hear the encouragement from so many, asking us to continue. Moving on without your lead singer and good friend was not an easy task for us, but we are very pleased with this new record and are excited about all of you hearing it.

As always, thanks for your patience and support.
Peace and Love-

Gary Wehrkamp

So i was partly right on this one.
The three of them are doing the vocals but there are some guest-vocalists on the album.

Me verrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy curious!  *horns*

Iggy

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2009-07-28, 23:23:26
Announcement from Gary Wehrkamp:

So i was partly right on this one.
The three of them are doing the vocals but there are some guest-vocalists on the album.

Me verrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy curious!  *horns*

Me too. Fantastic news.

Deenfan

This will be a difficult album to relate to. I've been so strongly touched by Mike Baker's voice along with SG music, that I'm gonna have a hard time, a very emotional and difficult one, putting on this new album the first time.

maddox

Quote from: Deenfan on Tue, 2009-09-08, 13:12:00
This will be a difficult album to relate to. I've been so strongly touched by Mike Baker's voice along with SG music, that I'm gonna have a hard time, a very emotional and difficult one, putting on this new album the first time.

I can imagine that, Deeny.  :(

Though i do think that you should see this in the most positive way ( sounds strange, i know ) and believe that this could be the best tribute to Mike than anyone could ever make.

Deenfan

I know that they have to go on making the album they'd started working on when he died, and I can imagine he'd want the guys to continue. Still... But here's to the hope that they find he's recorded some lines at home, that they can use, so we can hear him just one more time.

maddox

Quote from: Deenfan on Thu, 2009-09-10, 17:21:41
I know that they have to go on making the album they'd started working on when he died, and I can imagine he'd want the guys to continue. Still... But here's to the hope that they find he's recorded some lines at home, that they can use, so we can hear him just one more time.

That would be awesome indeed.  8)

I just found out that there's a short trailer online of the new album.
Here's the link.

The name of the new album will be:

Digital Ghosts

Release date: November 3, InsideOut music.

Nice title. Really can't wait for this release.  8) 8) 8)

Deenfan

Huh. That title might actually mean that he's on there somewhere...

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2009-09-08, 21:03:51
... believe that this could be the best tribute to Mike than anyone could ever make.

8) Mad

Yes, I think one should see prog as our spiritual blood ... that binds us across all barriers (Atlantic, astral, and all other oceans)  :)

I'm sure there'l be several references to Mike on the album - to be discovered by the true SG fan  ;)

Just like the Floyd guys had all those wonderful references to Syd  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me