News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Spock's Beard

Started by PH, Mon, 2007-09-24, 19:54:35

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Quote from: tinyfish on Wed, 2008-06-18, 12:49:17Yes I read the review mentioned above and winced everytime Alan gave an answer. I guess it goes to prove that some musicians can communicate much better when they keep their mouths closed and their fingers moving.

Absolutely. They should have interviewed John Boegehold. That would make for an interesting read.

Quote from: tinyfish on Wed, 2008-06-18, 12:49:17Actually, my wife says more or less the same thing.  ;)
And that's too much information...

-Paco

maddox

Sad news for the Mighty Beard fans;

Quote from: http://www.ndvmusic.com/It is very hard for me to write this, but as all good things come to an end at sometime or another, unfortunately I have to tell you all that my time with Spock's Beard has come to a close.

As you may or may not know, for almost 2 years now I have been working for Cirque Du Soleil on the touring show TOTEM. Traveling a bit of the globe with my family on an adventure that has been great, but also very tough. Great because I am finally able to fully support my family with this very unstable life I chose as a musician, but also very tough because this job has made it hard to do other things and the main thing is Spock's Beard.

For the first time in 20 years I had to miss shows when the band played a few festivals this past summer. Needless to say it was very, very strange not being there. I have been trying to land a permanent resident show for next year which would leave me a little more time to tour with SB but that has not happened yet and I don't know when exactly that will happen. I recently signed for another year with Cirque because I cannot just get up and quit until something else can takes its place. I am sure you all understand that I have to take care of my main responsibility and that is my family. Spock's Beard has never been the main money maker for me, or any of the other guys in the band. We have always had to do other things to supplement our incomes and for me now the other thing just happens to be Cirque.

The Spock's guys want to keep moving forward and it is just Murphy's Law for SB that everyone else is totally available to tour at the moment and I am not. For many years, I was available for anything but we couldn't tour as much as we wanted because of other schedules. Now with my job it doesn't look like I am going to be available anytime soon. I totally understand where the guys are coming from, wanting to tour and make new albums and I have too much respect for them and SB to say that they cannot keep going without me. The guys are eager to keep the ball rolling, and as hard as that is to imagine without me I give them my blessing fully and wish them nothing but the best in whatever they do.

I have had the best time and have made some of the best music of my career with Dave, Al, Ryo, and Neal and will take those memories with me for the rest of my life.

This is not to say that I will never play with the guys again. If all of the stars align in future and I can do something I surely will but for now the guys will be going on without me and I humbly ask all of you SB fans that have been nothing short of amazing, to keep the flame burning for them.

I was afraid that something like this would happen. :(
When I heard that Nick was going to tour with Cirque de Soleil and that Spock's Beard would play a few shows without Nick...

It doesn't surprise me, but it sure does make me sad.  :-\ :(
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2011-11-18, 23:32:53
It doesn't surprise me, but it sure does make me sad.  :-\ :(

Right, Mad, I too have spent many wonderful moments with the Mighty Beard  *horns* :(

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

News about the replacements;

Quote from: Spock's Beard site
Announcing – Spock's Beard has a new recording and touring lineup!

To keep bringing you the finest Prog Rock, we've brought on board the amazing vocalist/guitarist Ted Leonard (Enchant, Thought Chamber) and Jimmy Keegan (Santana, John Waite), who's been our tour drummer for close to 10 years now. If you know these guys, you know they're world class. They bring exciting new energy and creativity to the party.

We regret that Nick D'Virgilio, a founding member of the band, good friend and incredible talent is unable to continue with us due to his other commitments. Please continue to support him, check out his new solo CD "Pieces," go see him with Cirque du Soleil and follow whatever other madness he's up to. He's awesome. We wish him the best of luck and the success he deserves. We wouldn't be here without NDV!

Look for a new live Spock's Beard DVD and extensive European tour in early 2012, followed by our 11th studio release sometime in the summer. We're energized and excited, and will be posting updates and sound samples as we progress.

Thank you for continuing to support us through the years and changes. We stay committed to bringing you the finest in Prog Rock and taking it into the future.

I guess that this might be the end for Enchant then.
Really liked their albums but since Tug of War was the last album and it has been released almost six years ago, I can't imagine that Ted can cope with both bands.
Jimmy Keegan was obvious, why search for a new drummer when you already have toured with Jimmy for the last ten years?

I am curious to see what Spock's Beard will be like with Ted on vocals.

PH

For some reason this news passed me by. ???

NDV is a really great drummer! And his voice is also *horns*!
Too  bad he is not amongg the spocks anymore. :'(

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2011-11-22, 11:59:53
Jimmy Keegan was obvious, why search for a new drummer when you already have toured with Jimmy for the last ten years?

Not so obvious.
Remember Genesis? Chester Tompson was the tour co-drummer for years! Even when Phil Collins was still in the band. But when Phil left the band, they didn't go with Chester, but with Nir Z and... yes... Nick D'Virgilio.

Strange.

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2011-11-22, 11:59:53
I am curious to see what Spock's Beard will be like with Ted on vocals.

Yes me too. Ted is a really good singer! But I've never really delved deep into Enchant.

maddox

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2011-11-22, 19:44:15

Not so obvious.
Remember Genesis?

I do actually.
I even have a name for the new Spock's Beard album: And Then There were Five (again);D

QuoteChester Tompson was the tour co-drummer for years! Even when Phil Collins was still in the band. But when Phil left the band, they didn't go with Chester, but with Nir Z and... yes... Nick D'Virgilio.

True, but that was only because Chester declined the band's offer to become a full-time member instead of a touring drummer.
The band asked him, he refused, and thus he ended his Genesis-partnership until they reunite in 2007, with Phil. ;)

I honestly believe that money was an issue for Chester.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2011-11-22, 19:44:15
But I've never really delved deep into Enchant.

I have delved into them, have 3 cd's with them, like them, but not at pantheon level  :)

Otoh Thought Chamber's Angular Perceptions is fabulous, and Ted sings superbly on this one  *horns*

I'd say that Spock's Beard should be very satisfied with having gained him as their singer  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

dacook

I always see change in a band as a time of sadness, uncertainty, but more importantly opportunity.

Nick's message is pretty well reasoned. As an Amateur musician myself, music will never put food on my table or pay my mortgage, and it probably never would now, so my band life certainly comes after family life! Coming to music late in life, I think I missed my true vocation, but I could well have been one of those dreamers who never made it and got bitter about it, so maybe coming late and being realistic is no bad thing! Having a good job means I play for enjoyment and giving pleasure to people who see our gigs.

Anyway, I digress! Nick's reasoning about the logic of the options he had makes perfect sense, even if means the split has to happen, and with Spock's Beard the changes have been amicable with respect on all sides. So I look forward to seeing what they offer next. I was one of the subscribers for the last album and was well rewarded. X was the best album they had done for years.

I was lucky enough to see the tour where they were supported by FROST* (mentioned above) and they were awesome.

Long live the Mighy Beard!
---------------

Regards
Derek Cook

maddox

Quote from: dacook on Thu, 2011-11-24, 20:03:42

I was lucky enough to see the tour where they were supported by FROST* (mentioned above) and they were awesome.

I've saw them twice in the past, once with Neal and once with Nick on vox.
I must say that the Neal-concert was way better and that was partly because of the disappointing album Feel Euphoria, which was just released when I saw them in Utrecht.

But just watch the DVD's they've made and you know how good they were/are.

QuoteLong live the Mighy Beard!

8)