News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Spock's Beard

Started by PH, Mon, 2007-09-24, 19:54:35

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

I've searched but couldn't find a topic about them.
Could be that I didn't search good enough, 'cos I looked at the first three pages. ;D

Anyway.
I was listening to this band again today.
What do you guys think of their latest album "Spock's Beard".

I think it's wonderful. One of the best of 2006.
But what's with this John Boegehold guy, I mean he IS Spock's Beard man...
He writes lyrics, plays guitar and keyboards, does backing vocals, he composes music, comes with ideas, is handling the website etc etc...

And after reading this interview with Alan Morse, I'd almost say that I prefer this John fellow instead of Alan.
Alan doesn't know anything of the writing proces, what's he doing in the band?
http://www.prog4you.com/Band_Interview-07/Spock's_Beard.htm

Question 1
Answer: I don't know.

Question 2
Answer: Gee, I wouldn't know.

Question 3
Answer: Hahahahaha hehehehehehe hohohohohoho funny hehehehehe I don't know.

Question 4
Answer: You should ask John Boegehold, he knows all.

Question 5
Answer: Funny you mention that, well, actually, I don't know, y'know.

Question 6
Answer: Could be, but what do I know.

Question 7
Answer: I didn't think of that. It's a possibility, I'll ask John Boegehold.

etc. etc. etc.

Very frustrating to see...
Ah well, the album is a total succes, I like it very much! One of the best additions to my cd collection.

-Paco

kmorse

Maybe John is actually Alan.

Or maybe it's Neal. In disguise.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Nicky007

Or maybe he's the Judas, leading Spock's toward their demise  ;D

No, I'v actually seen pictures of this John Boegehold. He's a cozy looking fellow with a round head (in Danish, we'd say a "hyggeonkel"), and he obviously doesn't mind puttering around in the background (prob drinking all the beers - a good job for our John too) while the other guys take the kudos.

It seems to me that Spock's, now that their previous (prob not easy) leader Neal has left, really is a gang of good friends, who work up things together.

Whatever their dynamics, their latest album is a smasher.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

maddox

Take a look at booklets of all the old albums. John Boegehold is mentioned in almost everyone of them. You can say he has become the 'fifth' member but when Neal was still in Spock he was present as well. I think he has always been a part of Spock but usually in the background.
But after Neal left the others needed more help to show the world that Spock wasn't just Neal but there were five members in it.

That resulted in Feel Euphoria. I still feel that if they had taken their time on that it would have become a good and decent album.  :-\
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

johninblack

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-10-26, 09:52:37
(prob drinking all the beers - a good job for our John too)

[angry mode] Oi! Are you trying to imply that I'm a [/angry mode].............[realization mode] I've not got an argument have I [/realization mode]

**johninblack goes and hides in the corner after realizing that all his 'friends' thinks he's an alcoholic**

Appelmoes??

For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2007-10-26, 10:02:53
But after Neal left the others needed more help to show the world that Spock wasn't just Neal but there were five members in it.

See, I actually find that Spocks has become much better after Neal left, particularly their latest self-titled album, which, as I mentioned earlier, is a smasher; but I also like Octane a lot.

I bought the whole back-catalog on the basis of these two albums. However, I must say that I'm somewhat disappointed with the albums from the Neal-period.

I'd really like to like'm, as Neal is a good Christian very much in the Lutheran vein (I'm Lutheran), and I find his lyrics interesting, but somehow the music just doesnt rock properly for me; too much hammond, too much early Yes, too little real melody.

Well, I know that I'm stepping on toes here, but that's just the way I experience Spocks music. I'd like to hear you guys' take on this matter, and I'd appreciate if you'd list some of your fave passages in the Spocks catalog.

From Wikipedia - Spock's Beard: "The name refers to a slang expression used mostly by Star Trek fans to indicate a concept that's so outlandish as to belong to another, warped universe. The term originates with the episode 'Mirror, Mirror' of the Star Trek original series, where four Enterprise officers are exchanged with their counterparts in an alternate universe; the alternate version of Spock has a goatee."

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-05-20, 16:44:07
See, I actually find that Spocks has become much better after Neal left, particularly their latest self-titled album, which, as I mentioned earlier, is a smasher; but I also like Octane a lot.

That's pretty much my personal taste in Spocks, too.  I haven't a bad word to say about the earlier stuff, I hasten to add, indeed that's what got me into the band in the first place.  But they seem to have been giving 110% since the line-up change, with even more spectacular results than ever before.  To my ears, Octane is without question my favourite ever Spocks release.  And then there's Feel Euphoria which I've only recently bought and I can't stop pressing play 'just one more time' at the moment  *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-05-20, 16:44:07

I agree. Thei're latest, self-titled album is indeed rather good.
However i think it's far better than the two previous albums with Nick on vocals. I honestly believe that if they made Feel Euphoria without the epic and the song Feel Euphoria itself and with the awesome suite A Flash Before My Eyes (without Surfing  ;D) of Octane than it would be one of the better Spock's albums that could easily match with albums like The Light, The Kindness Of Strangers and Snow.
Sadly those two first albums of Nick are destined to stay in the average.

QuoteI'd really like to like'm, as Neal is a good Christian very much in the Lutheran vein (I'm Lutheran), and I find his lyrics interesting, but somehow the music just doesnt rock properly for me; too much hammond, too much early Yes, too little real melody.

I think you should listen again.  ;)
What do you mean with the early Yes-thingy?  ???
You can compare Spock with bands like Camel, Gentle Giant or (early) Genesis but Yes is for i'm concerned a different league.

QuoteWell, I know that I'm stepping on toes here,

Though they're rather long, you're not hurting me at all.  ;D

Quotebut that's just the way I experience Spocks music. I'd like to hear you guys' take on this matter, and I'd appreciate if you'd list some of your fave passages in the Spocks catalog.

Great things can be heard in either The Light (the song itself is awesome as well is The Water), The Kindness Of Stranger (Strange World is a real rocker and the epic Flow is huge especially the guitar work of Alan, and then you have Harm's Way), V ( you really should re-listen At The End Of The Day because it's amazing and The Great Nothing is also quite good though not their best Epic) and the entire Snow has really nice treats for the good prog listener. Agree, it looks like Testimony Prt I but the album is soo good. One of my fav. concept albums of all time.

QuoteFrom Wikipedia - Spock's Beard: "The name refers to a slang expression used mostly by Star Trek fans to indicate a concept that's so outlandish as to belong to another, warped universe. The term originates with the episode 'Mirror, Mirror' of the Star Trek original series, where four Enterprise officers are exchanged with their counterparts in an alternate universe; the alternate version of Spock has a goatee."

Nicky.

Thank you for this wisdom, Wiki-Nicky.  ;D

Nicky007

Thanks, Mad. I'm movin backwards, so soon I'l give FE and Snow some deep listens.

I must say that I'm deeply impressed by Octane. This album has become one of my alltime faves.

And I think that Nick sings tremendously on Octane and SB. He has such a warm, beautiful and expressive way of singing. And his drumming - phew, awesome !

What I meant with early Yes is that the're a lot of ideas whirling about, but it doesnt get tight enough to really rock.

Prog rock is really about getting your energies together, so that you can cut like a laser light into new territory. That's what raises contemporary SB above the thousands of other rock groups with excellent musicians.

And with John Boegehohohold in the mix, they must be having a lot'o laughs  ;)

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2008-05-21, 13:33:01
Though they're rather long, you're not hurting me at all.  ;D

I was actually thinking mainly of Paco, but although I'm really trampling on his toes, he doesnt seem to be able to get his eyes off his holes (on his cd's (i.a.))  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-05-21, 16:47:43I was actually thinking mainly of Paco, but although I'm really trampling on his toes, he doesnt seem to be able to get his eyes off his holes (on his cd's (i.a.))  ;D

Well, I'm not a real Spock's fan... I only have SB, Octane, Snow and V.
And if I have to rate these four it would be:

1. SB
2. Octane/Snow
3. ...
4. V

Spock's Beard is still something I need to dive into. But I think that I'll rather buy Feel Euphoria than Day For Night for example...

We'll see...

-Paco

Appelmoes??

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2008-05-21, 13:33:01
One of my fav. concept albums of all time.
Yup, Snow is in my top 101 :)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

The Butterfly Man

It's about time I join in on the discussion...... 8)

I'm not really that familiar with Spock's Beard. I have been to one concert of them but honestly I only went for The Urbane, who where the support-act. I really don't remember much from Spock's Beard's gig apart from the fact that I left before the end... :-\

However, I have heard one album of theirs, Octane, and I really enjoy it from time to time. Songs on that album that I can listen to anytime/anyday are 'Ballet Of The Impact' and 'She Is Everything'. Such wondeful songs...

Basically those are my only 'encounters' with them. After reading this topic I guess I've got some catching up to do!

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2008-05-23, 12:12:49
After reading this topic I guess I've got some catching up to do!

That's for sure, Tom  8)

And what's also interesting:

Snow               (2002)         Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence  (2002)
Feel Euphoria   (2003)         Train of Thought                          (2003)
Octane            (2005)         Octavarium                                  (2005)
Spock's Beard  (2006)         Systematic Chaos                        (2007)

Nuff said.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-05-23, 15:27:50
And what's also interesting:

Snow               (2002)         Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence  (2002)
Feel Euphoria   (2003)         Train of Thought                          (2003)
Octane            (2005)         Octavarium                                  (2005)
Spock's Beard  (2006)         Systematic Chaos                        (2007)

Nuff said.

And why do you think that's so interesting? Apart from both bands' eighth album coming out in the same year with a title that has something to do with the number eight I can't see what's so special about that. But maybe you can expand on that! ;D

Tom

Nicky007

Well, Tom, there might be some things that are more interesting like: Why did God create this earth and put us on it ?  - but this comes close  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-05-23, 15:42:58
Well, Tom, there might be some things that are more interesting like: Why did God create this earth and put us on it ?  - but this comes close  ;D

Okay......

So Spock's Beard is a progressive rock band. Arena is also a progressive rock band. I think that's quite interesting!

You see, I'm a fast learner! ;D

No but serious, I think I'm gonna buy Spock's most recent album tomorrow! So I'll let you know what I think of it during the weekend.

Tom

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Fri, 2008-05-23, 15:49:01
You see, I'm a fast learner! ;D

No but serious, I think I'm gonna buy Spock's most recent album tomorrow! So I'll let you know what I think of it during the weekend.

And a fast buyer, must say.

Nice to have you joinin the Arena Spocks Fan club - or was it the other way around ?  ;D

And lookin forward to hearin your take.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-05-23, 15:53:51
And a fast buyer, must say.

Yeah but I have listened to some samples and I like what I hear. So why not? And, more important, I can afford to buy an album every once in a while. And it's been a while since I bought my last album. Almost a week!!! :o ;)

Tom

maddox

The one album you guys really need to listen is The Beard Is Out There.
It's an official bootleg so to say from their first appearance at the Nearfest show and includes all songs of The Light and Thoughts prt I.

A great album indeed.

Steve Jones

Just noticed that Frost* are supporting Spock's Beard on some of the forthcoming tour dates - now that's a combination that's difficult to resist!  *horns*

Unfortunately this would involve travel and hotel expenses, but I'm giving it careful thought...  8)
Regards, Steve Jones

johninblack

Quote from: Steve Jones on Mon, 2008-05-26, 19:09:44
Just noticed that Frost* are supporting Spock's Beard on some of the forthcoming tour dates - now that's a combination that's difficult to resist!  *horns*

I didn't resist, got tickets for Islington *horns*

Steve Jones

Just a reminder that the new Live CD and DVD are out today (June 13) or Monday (June 16) depending on exactly where you live.
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

tinyfish

Yes I read the review mentioned above and winced everytime Alan gave an answer. I guess it goes to prove that some musicians can communicate much better when they keep their mouths closed and their fingers moving.

Actually, my wife says more or less the same thing.  ;)
The World's Smallest Prog Band