News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Jo's list (Bellanova)

Started by bellanova, Tue, 2007-06-19, 12:37:44

Previous topic - Next topic

bellanova

My favourite band is Arena. Theres not one song or instrumental that i dont like!

Other bands at the moment are Genesis but not the Phil Collins era

Nearly everything John Mitchell, ie It Bites, Kino, Frost and the Urbane. However i havent yet got round to Blind Ego but i will.

I also like Jadis when im in the mood

ELP
John Young
Asia
Dream Theater
Shadowland
Pendragon

Im sure theres others and im always open to new prog stuff. The above is what im into right now although ive vowed not to play any Arena for a month due to overkill before Sheffield.

bellanova

Oops forgot the obvious.....Porcupine Tree!!!

Nicky007

Thanks, Jo.

From your profile, I would draw the conclusion that you like melody and a good singer, but the music should also be edgy.

I would also guess that you prefer pre-Scenes DT to post-Scenes, as the latter is very heavy (apart from the wonderful Octavarium suite and a few other songs).

You know a lot about British prog, but seemingly little about American.

Here, I would recommend some of the same stuff as with PH: Stone Temple Pilots' Tiny Music, Scott Weiland's (the singer from STP) 12 Bar Blues, Chris Cornell's Euphoria Morning, Fates Warning's A Pleasant Shade Of Grey, Stride's Imagine, Mudhoney's Under A Billion Suns, Eleven's Howling Book (here you have something as rare as a Russian female prog singer, but she lives in L.A.).

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

bellanova

Thanks Nicky. Melody and the singer is important to me. (Probably because i am a musician or was) But the music has to be exciting too. I think that Arena ticks all the boxes. It stirs me more than anything else like classical music did when i played in an orchestra.

As for DT, i bought it because at the time it was their most recent album and someone recommended it to me but i hope to discover more when funds allow.

I think i have some Chris Cornell somewhere on my hard drive that someone sent me. I'll have a search. Thanks for your recommendations. I appreciate it lots! x

Nicky007

Agreed, Arena and Dream Theater are my two absolute fave groups. And that's just because they "tick all boxes".

I was also into classical music for many years. When I was young, I played a lot of piano, was quite good at it (played all of Chopin's catalog i.a.), and wanted to become a professional musician. Well, my parents were confused, I became confused, and I did a lot of shit, instead of concentrating on music, which I was good at. Now I'm too old to start some new musical project, so instead I enjoy listening to prog and adding my mustard here and there (as you might have noticed  ;D ).

What have you played?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bellanova

I also wanted to be a professional musician. I played violin and went to music college here in London but shit happens and i failed my final practical exam and couldnt get another grant so i could continue studying or retake it. I had to get a real job! I played in a great youth orchestra. We won awards all over Europe and it was a great life. Ive played loads of major orchestral stuff the most memorable being Mahlers 5th symphony. Classical and prog are so closely linked! After classical, my musical preferences were in limbo but i wont go into detail. Its too embarrassing!!!! Then i discovered surprisingly Asia and broadened my horizons from there really. I only got heavily into this music (prog)late....back in 2000. I met John Mitchell and other proggy musicians and i'd fond the thing that had been missing since leaving music college. i just wish i'd found it sooner because im getting on a bit now. I would have loved to have seen the "real" Genesis and Pink Floyd etc

Nicky007

Quote from: bellanova on Wed, 2007-06-20, 16:57:54
I would have loved to have seen the "real" Genesis and Pink Floyd etc

Yeah, I'm also sad I missed them. I went to lots of dumbass concerts, but by sheer stupidity I missed Floyd, although they were my absolute faves for thirty years (and still are a fave).

But let's look at the bright side of life: I recently saw Steve Vai, Redemption and Zero Hour, and these concerts are lodged deeply in my positive memory. Now I just have to get around to seeing Dream Theater (which I will this summer, even if I have to rob a bank), and Arena (I'll invite them for my birthday, see if they come).

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

johninblack

Interesting this Jo, I used to be 2nd Cellist in the Norfolk Youth Orchestra so come time for the orchestral Arena Tribute they know who to call........

Jo - Violin
Nicky - Piano
John - Cello

Anyone else joining in?

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: johninblack on Wed, 2007-06-20, 19:36:39
Interesting this Jo, I used to be 2nd Cellist in the Norfolk Youth Orchestra so come time for the orchestral Arena Tribute they know who to call........

Jo - Violin
Nicky - Piano
John - Cello

Anyone else joining in?

I can do classical guitar, does that count for an orchestral Arena tribute? ;D

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

I can sing! I can sing very classical... or something...
And I can play a synth solo or two.

But no real classical instruments.

Bellanova, do you know Landmarq? And you should listen to Nolan & Wakeman if you didn't already.

Nicky007

We can dress Appelmoes up as a roly-poly apple, and Paco as marsh monster (in fact, we don't need to dress him up) and they can do the go-go jive frontstage.  ;D

We'll need a mike for Tom's classical guitar, because once you get me at the piano ....

The only problem is that Bupie runs off with all the groupies in the meantime.

Great with all these classical musicians. It also struck me recently that prog is the true succession of Beethoven and Co. I think the many symphonic pieces by Symphony X, Dream Theater, Michael Harris, and many others confirms this.

By the way, does anyone know an orchestral tribute album that's worth listening to?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

johninblack

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-06-20, 20:32:59
By the way, does anyone know an orchestral tribute album that's worth listening to?

Not until ours comes out ;D

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-06-20, 20:32:59

Nicky.

Yep, you should look here.  ;)

Oh enne i can sing a bit but not high... ;D :D :P
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Maddox, you're very quick, 'cause I wanted to write down something about your VERY stupid comment about lyrics. ;D

Anyway, have fun guys!

maddox

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2007-06-20, 21:46:06
Maddox, you're very quick, 'cause I wanted to write down something about your VERY stupid comment about lyrics. ;D

Anyway, have fun guys!

I have no idea what you mean.  :o

::) ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

bellanova

PH.

I know of Landmarq but havent heard any and Nolan/Wakeman is on my want list.

Appelmoes??

Quote from: johninblack on Wed, 2007-06-20, 19:36:39

Jo - Violin
Nicky - Piano
John - Cello

Anyone else joining in?
Triangle for me ;)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace