News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Favourite Arena Vocalist

Started by Constable Hogweed, Sun, 2005-03-20, 21:37:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Favourite Arena Vocalist

John Carson
2 (4.2%)
Paul Wrightson
11 (22.9%)
Rob Sowden
35 (72.9%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Constable Hogweed

Who is your favourite, and why?
I must say That Paul was my personal favourite. John was great and Rob is a fantastic vocalist, but there was just something about Paul's vocals that just edges  him as the best for me. 

Deenfan

Are they not the same guy, only changing his name for dramatic effect??? :P

Appelmoes??

Can't choose yet, I like all 3, although I think Rob's voice is very different from the other 2, which to me, sound very much the same.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

The Voyager

Â Agree with Constable Hogweed. Paul Wrightson is my favourite frontman too. Perhaps, the reason is more emotive singing. In any way, good joke, Deenfan. ;D

Appelmoes??

Can't choose. I think all three voices go great with the albums their on.

My drawings on MySpace

POM

I voted for Rob...
I like his voice and he really impressed me when I went to Arena's gig...

Althought I must admit that I don't know well "old" albums and so, don't really know how Paul sounds...

gelert

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2005-04-04, 14:00:27

200% ACK...!
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

jeffMc

Arena has grown and progressed. All three vocalists have their pluses. Rob, to me, departs from the "Trying to Sound Like Fish" vocalist. When I first heard Rob sing on Butteryfly Man (Still my all time Arena fav (ok, so is Skin Game)), I was like, WOW. I am sorry, I do not think Paul could have pulled that off, as good as he is. Then again, Paul pulls off Running From Damascus with aplomb. So, I guess if you write the music, with your vocalist in mind, you can do amazing things. (Bedlam Fayre, for example). So my hats off to all the vocalists, and he is too Rob continuing to bring us the story through his voice. I bet Clive smiles when his lyrics are so eloquently spoken by Rob.

Ciao

Appelmoes??

Quote from: jeffMc on Tue, 2005-04-05, 18:04:15
I bet Clive smiles when his lyrics are so eloquently spoken by Rob.
Actually, I hope Rob will continue singing on the albums :P  ;)

My drawings on MySpace

gelert

Quote from: jeffMc on Tue, 2005-04-05, 18:04:15
I bet Clive smiles when his lyrics are so eloquently spoken by Rob.

Appelmoes?? ...Actually, I hope Rob will continue singing on the albums ...

...It's amazing what they can do with Antares AutoTune technology, MIDI, and a bit of ProTools these days...  ;D ;D
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Highfire

Mr Sowden is bigger ... and better ;)

He's able to make people feel, and it's not easy at all.
We have been chosen...

Mark Jan

The first thing I wanna say is that they're all very good vocalist. I like them all, but my favorite is Paul Wrightson. A beautiful powefull voice, sometimes a bit like Fish, but I prefer Paul's voice.

Herben

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2005-04-04, 14:00:27
I did choose for Rob Sowden, but yes the others were also great so Appelmoes I agree with You You have a great point in it! ??? ???
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

marcello

I chose Rob. His voice sounds modern and hes got some good talent  :)
What will I be, When Winter comes again, and were wrapped up in furs, and life has begun again

Simtere

All three official vocalists have different qualties and each suited the style of music the band were creating at the tims (which may simply mean some stunning writing that took into account the vocalists range).  In terms of preference I have to say that I actually  rather like to hear Clive's warbling!

Deenfan

I probably should be very careful about these things, but I think there have been songwriting way outside of the singer's range here and there. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see a true master at the mike in the future. (Hogarth/Farnham range type). I'm talking Geoff Tate standard here, not all high screaming, but a breathtaking range. No Arena singer has had a remarkable range yet.

This is not to criticize Rob, whom I find to be the best singer they've had, and I really welcomed the change, the raspiness he brought into it, apparent in the first line of the first song.

sammi

*horns* I love robs voice i started listening to the band and rob was the only singer i knew about but then i heard about old album and gave them ago and still prefer robs voice. although i do like ther others and think thiers voices go with the time they were in the band. *ola*

HelenDo

Rob without a doubt for me. My least favourite would be John Carson, because at times he sounds like someone trying to impersonate Fish. Also am I the only person who thinks his vocals on the quiet parts of Jericho are really bad?

At the recent Rosfest Neo concert, Clive took over lead vocals for the Arena tracks. Now that's something I'd really like to hear.  8)

Helenxxx

JJ II

Teunis

I voted for Rob, very impressed by his live performances on the 'Caught in the Act' and 'Smoke & Mirrors' DVD. Paul didn't hit every note very well, I noticed that on the bonus material (Zoetermeer). I don't know John's live singing. Like all their studio stuff though.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Herben

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2006-05-22, 18:32:32
I don't know John's live singing. Like all their studio stuff though.
Don't You have the fanclub album Unlocking the Cage, there You can hear John Carson Live, it's accoustic, he sings Jericho and Crying for help IV on that album. But it's in the early days, not as perfect as the album "Songs from the Lyons Cage"
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Teunis

Quote from: Herben on Mon, 2006-05-22, 18:52:31
Don't You have the fanclub album Unlocking the Cage, there You can hear John Carson Live, it's accoustic, he sings Jericho and Crying for help IV on that album.
No, don't have that one.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

maddox

Though i like Rob's voice, i regret to inform you that it is Paul Wrightson.  *horns*

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

johninblack

Rob for me, just think he has that little something extra.

intruder

Without a shred of a doubt, it as to be Rob Snowden. Because he as individual vocals, unlike the other 2, who were really just fish imitators. Robs ability to sing the earlier songs is tremendous, and well executed on both of the Arena DVD's. A really good example of Rob's capability is the acoustic version of Fridays Dream on the Smoke and Mirrors DVD. He sings it very well, and his vocals in the particular parts where the song lifts, is really good, considering there are no other instruments backing him up. His vocals sound just like the studio version, which is very good considering it's done on a couple of acoustic guitars.