News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Which country is third in rock ?

Started by Nicky007, Tue, 2008-01-08, 15:01:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2008-01-11, 15:30:38
By the way no one is saying that someone is an 'idiot'. I can't imagine us being that blunt.  ;)

Only idiots call others idiots. And I wouldnt be such an idiot as to call myself an idiot  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Appelmoes??

US:
- SB
- Savatage
- Neal Morse

UK:
- Arena
- Threshold
- Mostly Autumn

NL:
- Stream of Passion
- Ayreon
- Star One
- After Forever (first 4 albums)
- Within Temptation (first 3 albums)
- Asrai

Scandinavia:
- LOTS

This is just to show that the UK and US aren't by definition the number 1 and 2. It's all personal anyway. That why I don't see the statement you're trying to make Nicky. If you'd made a poll, with lot's of country names in it, then we could have voted on what we listen the most and think are best. Then you could have had some statistics on which you could have based your opinion. But then the US and UK could still be on different spots then 1 and 2.

(btw. I didn't put DT and SX in my list at US, because I hardly listen to them anymore. And besides, SX last album was craptastic imo.)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-01-11, 17:00:27

But Mad, honestly, although Sweden is really resplendent here, arent UK and US still quantitative-qualitatively way ahead of all other countries ?

Nicky.

If you're talking about the number of bands: Of course they are. It's undeniable true that they hold the most and probably well known prog/rock artists. Mainly because of the size of both countries. The size does matter in this case.  :D

It strikes me that USA has more famous metalish prog bands than the UK, like Dream Theater, Savatage and Symphony X to name a few.
While the UK has neo-prog bands like Arena, Marillion, Magenta, Pendragon, IQ and Credo while the only real prog metal band is Threshold. Maybe i forget a few, it happens (no, not Porcupine Tree since that isn't really prog metal in my opinion).

The reason why i said in random order is because of the fact that i don't consider one country as top league for prog/rock bands.
When i listen to good prog/rock i don't care which country they're from. The quality of the music is far more important to me than the origin.
But as i said before in an other topic, i prefer my music in English. Not in any other language though i won't deny that those are bad.

Hope it helps.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Thanks, Appy and Mad.

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Fri, 2008-01-11, 18:39:10
US: ....

UK: ....

NL: ....

Scandinavia:
- LOTS

This is just to show that the UK and US aren't by definition the number 1 and 2.

Appy, arent you contradicting yourself by listing US and UK first and second, and then making your statement ?  If I understand you correctly, you agree with the most of us that UK and US are the two leading countries.

It would be interesting to know which bands "LOTS" covers over.

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2008-01-11, 19:26:52
The size does matter in this case.  :D

;D Mad

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2008-01-11, 19:26:52
It strikes me that USA has more famous metalish prog bands than the UK, like Dream Theater, Savatage and Symphony X to name a few.
While the UK has neo-prog bands like Arena, Marillion, Magenta, Pendragon, IQ and Credo while the only real prog metal band is Threshold.

I think that is very true, Mad. John said the same.

I would put it such that US groups tend to be heavier and wilder than UK groups, fitting well with the pioneer character of the Americans.

Nicky.

So you've come of age
Sure you can

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2008-01-12, 11:47:53
Appy, arent you contradicting yourself by listing US and UK first and second, and then making your statement ?  If I understand you correctly, you agree with the most of us that UK and US are the two leading countries.
No, because then I would have placed numbers before them. I just posted US and UK first, because they are the topic of this discussion.
As you can see by the number of bands, I clearly think NL is my number one when it comes to the rock I personally like best. After that it's the scandinavian countries and then Uk and then US.
I might have a lot of US albums in my collection, but this list of mine is based upon what I listen to most. Hence the exclusion of SX and DT.

QuoteIt would be interesting to know which bands "LOTS" covers over.
- WinterStrain!! (Fantastic band, have you had the chance to listen to them Nickster?)
- Flower Kings
- Opeth
- Nightwish
- Sonata Arctica
- Kaipa

And there's the bands I still have to check out from the guys Arjen used for his new Ayreon album. He's got a lot of scandy's on 01011001.

My drawings on MySpace

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Sat, 2008-01-12, 14:17:53
WinterStrain!! Fantastic band, have you had the chance to listen to them Nickster?

Unfortunately not yet, Appy !

Because of my strained economy  >:(  my bank has taken my credit card from me, and I have to rummage through CD-stores in Copenhagen and Malmö to find good prog CD's; and I simply havent yet found anything by Winterstrain. So this really has been a strained winter  :( ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2008-01-12, 14:21:49

The size does matter in this case  :D

;D Mad

Sowwy.  :-[

;)

Are we talkin bout the size of your brain, Mad ?

;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Fri, 2008-01-11, 18:39:10
And besides, SX last album was craptastic imo.

Yeah, I know, Britney Spears' latest is much better 8)

;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Appelmoes??

You mean that album called "parental advisory?" ;D

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-01-11, 14:35:03OK, Paco-smartass, two things:

1. Yes, I do believe that if a self-styled proggie doesnt place US as nb 1 or 2, that's because s/he is oblivious of the great prog that's come from the States during the past forty years. And I'l go to my death with this conviction, and I'm sure Mad and Tom would too ! Und dammit basta !

2. I never f*in ever said that this topic was supposed to be objective. You think I'm an idiot ? Well, dont answer that !  I know that proggies will variously choose - as third - Sweden, Norway, Finland, Canada, Germany, Marshland, Ireland, Poland, and Italy - and I guess that's about it.

Ahhh this is what I need! A heavy "I want to bite your head off"-discussion.
Great! ;D

I won't answer the question about you being an idiot. ;)

And indeed I was being a smartass.

There's still so much new bands to discover. The really good ones sound like they're not of this world!
So I would say "Not Of This World" is first in Rock.

And I really need that album too, yes.

-Paco