News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Knight Area

Started by Bupie, Sat, 2014-11-08, 10:23:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Bupie

I checked and saw that there is no topic for this band. It left me a bit surprised since it's a Dutch band, with a neo prog style that is not so far from Arena and other heroes of the genre (Pendragon and Mistery come first to my mind) ... and there are many Dutch guys in the Room. But maybe people feel more inclined to discuss about exotic (read foreign) bands ?

Anyway, I just ordered Hyperdrive and listened to the older songs on free streaming on their website and have to admit that all of them impressed me very much ! I guess that they were chosen for this purpose and indeed it works 100% with me.

So feel free to give your opinion and advice me where to start with their back catalog.

You may also give your top five since they released five album if I don't mistake  :)

Listening to the song Mortal Brow right now and it really sounds like the best Pendragon meets IQ's song ever  ;D

Teunis

Hear, hear :). Well, I recommended Knight Area several times here, but got just a few reactions. Thanks for making a topic, they really deserve it ;). I own their whole catalogue including the EP 'Between Two Steps' which was with the same lineup. Two tracks from it are on the new album: 'Bubble' and 'This Day'. I'd say they kept improving theirselves so my top-5 would be their catalogue in reverse:
1. Hyperdrive
2. Nine Paths
3. Realm Of Shadows
4. Under A New Sign
5. The Sun Also Rises

So I'd recommend you 'Nine Paths' to purchase after 'Hyperdrive'.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

maddox

I have one album of the band, and although I do like that album (Under a New Sign), I don't have the urge to listen buy more albums of them.
Mostly because I don't really like their singer.
Not personally, just his voice. ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Teunis

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2014-11-08, 22:05:38
Fair enough. Some singers appeal to you, some don't. I really like his voice. Had the pleasure to see two Knight Area gigs and he is really very good live too. The band members are really nice as well, always in for a chat :).

Bupie

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2014-11-08, 22:05:38
I have one album of the band, and although I do like that album (Under a New Sign), I don't have the urge to listen buy more albums of them.
OK I can understand that since I experienced it before with other bands ... but it's more the screaming high pitched type of voices that I fear (Robert Plant could be a good example). Don't have problem with Knight Area in this departement.

@ Teunis : thanks for the tip, I'll go that way back  ;)

Teunis

Knight Area will be supporting Arena in Poland on 9th and 10th April 2015 in Poland. Both bands will record their gig in Katowice for releasing a DVD later. It'll be the first Knight Area DVD, looking forward to that and of course also to the Arena DVD 8).

More info here: http://www.knightarea.com/news/id/102/dvd-recording-in-poland/

Teunis

Quote from: Teunis on Mon, 2014-12-22, 18:12:03
It'll be the first Knight Area DVD, looking forward to that 8).
The DVD will be released in September this year and is entitled 'Hyperlive'. To finance this project the band decided to start a crowdfunding campaign. They intend to include a 5.1 recording when enough money is raised 8).

More info here

Being a fan, I already donated of course :).

bluepony

Ahem... I'll probably be stoned to death (and I mean the "Life of Brian" way, nothing to do with Smoking anything) for what I'm going to say now, but... I saw them live in Zoetermeer, and they somehow reminded me of Manowar... especially their singer... Is that just me?!

Teunis

Quote from: bluepony on Thu, 2015-05-07, 14:44:22
and they somehow reminded me of Manowar... especially their singer... Is that just me?!
Don't know as I don't know (the music of) Manowar, only by name. Will check it out, must be a good band then ;).

Bupie

Quote from: bluepony on Thu, 2015-05-07, 14:44:22
Ahem... I'll probably be stoned to death (and I mean the "Life of Brian" way, nothing to do with Smoking anything) for what I'm going to say now, but... I saw them live in Zoetermeer, and they somehow reminded me of Manowar... especially their singer... Is that just me?!

Ahem, it's quite surprising indeed since the bands have very different music ... and looks ! Knight Area is your typical neo/symphonic prog when Manowar is ... well, Manowar. Don't saw any of them live though (and certainly don't intend to do so with Manowar). Are you really sure that it has nothing to do with smoking ?  ;) Let's wait for Teunis' take on Manowar, it should be interesting  :) ...

Teunis

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2015-05-08, 03:43:13
Let's wait for Teunis' take on Manowar, it should be interesting  :) ...
Listening to Manowar tracks on YouTube. I see similarities because of the hairstyle of the singer :). If Knight Area played more of their latest album in Zoetermeer, the music would be somewhat heavier indeed, yet very melodious and proggy. Manowar seems more metalish to me and their music is less melodious. Although I hear a track right now called 'Heart Of Steel' which I really like ::). PH, Maddox or maybe others, did you attend the Arena gig @ The Boerderij and what did you think of the performance of Knight Area?

bluepony

Well, I wasn't referring to their music so much, it was just a general (and obviously very superficial) comparison of the singers. The looks and stage-acting seem very much alike (although I must admit I know Manowar only from videos, never saw them live). And I have to admit, I only saw the last couple of songs they played, as I was there to see Arena in the first place.  ;)

Teunis

In April Knight Area recorded their first DVD, on the same day as Arena recorded their live DVD. A trailer from the upcoming DVD is online now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgat_bNTtdQ

Needless to say I'm looking forward to it. I've already pre-ordered it directly from the band via a crowdfunding action and will receive it a few months earlier than the release date (13th November 2015)  8) *horns*.

Teunis

The DVD arrived last week. Yesterday I found the time to watch it and it's awesome. The 'Hyperdrive' album was played live (except for one song), a nice medley from the back catalogue and a really great version of 'Mortal Brow' from the debut album. It was signed by the band members. Happy with this DVD 8) *horns*. It was recorded on the same day as the Arena DVD. Nothing heard/read about this one though ::).

Teunis

Like I wrote in the 'gigs' thread, the new album 'Heaven And Beyond' will be released on 10th February 2017. The new track 'Memories' has been released last week, you can hear it on YouTube. I'm looking forward to the release and the show!

More info on their beautiful website: http://knightarea.com/

PH

I think it's time for me listen to this band. They have connections to Huis, which I really like. And sometimes they are compared to Arena, Pendragon and Mystery too.
The YouTube song didn't really do anything for me though.
Anyway, I've made a note of this release date.

Thank you Teunis!