News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Tantalus painting

Started by Dukas, Mon, 2007-01-08, 11:53:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Dukas

When Pepper's Ghost was released, I was going through an experience that's perfectly captured in Tantulus. After 'surviving the ordeal' I made a painting inspired by the Arena-song (and my own experiences):

http://www.hugo-artwork.nl/site%20hugo%202006%20images/tantulus.JPG

Of course it's called 'Tantulus'. I use pencils and brushes with watercolor on paper. Hope you like it!

maddox

I do, Dukas. Pretty nice work. Wish i could paint like that.  *horns*

I don't think it is linked to Tantalus though. I think that handles a different subject.

But nevertheless:  8)

Btw. Welcome to the Shattered Room.  *horns*
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Peter

Great Job, Dukas. I like it a lot. If you had a larger version of it, I'd make it my background image :) Beautiful Lady there, and I might be able to imagine the tantalus torments you must have been through.

Hehe, not only do I wish I could paint *like that*, but I wish I could paint *at all*...

And yes, welcome to the forum :) Fill in your Listening Profile, if you like :)

Arriving somewhere, but not here....

PH

Yeah Dukas that's really good! :o

I also had a look at your website and I was amazed!
You've got real talent!

But I too fail to see "Tantalus" in your picture. Other than that there's a nice woman and I am not able to get in the picture...
::)

And what exactly is the "something" in the lowleft?

Other than that, good job! ;)

Dukas

Thanks for the feedback & the welcome, guys!

As for the link with Tantulus: to me it's a song about wanting someone badly, someone who's sometimes very close and sometimes totally unreachable ('the closer I get, the futher I am'), filling one with a longing one would rather be freed of ('this is my thanks and this is my curse'). A young lady that sometimes shows you heaven but also drags you through hell ('trust in no one').
Of course I could have painted the Greek myth that Clive talked about in relation to this song, which would have been a more obvious illustration of the lyrics, but  I wanted to paint something more personal.

kmorse

I got the connection right away. Like song lyrics, paintings impress each person a little differently, based on their personal experiences.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Ile2006

really nice painting! Is the chick an actress? She looks familiar, I think I know her but I can't remember the name!
W.C. '' If you're going through hell, keep going''

bluepony

Wow - amazing painting!Just like those on your homepage.
I think I'll never touch a brush again...

Appelmoes??

Indeed a very good painting! (She looks a little like Angelina Jolie, a little :P)

Quote from: bluepony on Thu, 2007-07-26, 14:34:08
Wow - amazing painting!Just like those on your homepage.
I think I'll never touch a brush again...
Why not? Just because someone has a style that you think is better than yours, doesn't mean he/she actually is better ;) And even if the quality isn't as high, it should not stop you from expressing yourself in a creative way :) Painted and stuff is fun 8)

I used to think my drawings were crap because I compared them to my brothers drawings, and even later when I developed my own style I still compared them... Until the moment my brother took a look at my drawings and told me he wished he could draw like me :o I was like: "Whaaaat!? I always thought the same of you". There are so many styles, so you can't really compare. Is Rembrandt better than van Gogh, or Picasso?
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

bluepony

Well, I guess that was just my way of saying "I'm VERY impressed by the paintings"...  :)

In fact I did touch a brush again - this weekend when I finished one of my own paintings.  ;)
However, I think they can never compare with what this guy is doing!

PH

Quote from: bluepony on Mon, 2007-07-30, 10:20:47However, I think they can never compare with what this guy is doing!
That's for us to decide!

Post it here!!

;D

JJ II

I really liked most of your work ....  very impressive.

Have you ever thought of portraying the Arena-boys in a group-portait?

BTW, I think it's TantAlus...

bluepony

QuoteThat's for us to decide!

Post it here!!

;D

NO WAY!!! (What I'm doing is a completely different kind of "art" - I'm not sure it should be posted here...)

Nicky007

Quote from: Dukas on Sat, 2007-01-13, 21:57:32
As for the link with Tantulus: to me it's a song about wanting someone badly, someone who's sometimes very close and sometimes totally unreachable ('the closer I get, the futher I am'), filling one with a longing one would rather be freed of ('this is my thanks and this is my curse'). A young lady that sometimes shows you heaven but also drags you through hell ('trust in no one').
Of course I could have painted the Greek myth that Clive talked about in relation to this song, which would have been a more obvious illustration of the lyrics, but  I wanted to paint something more personal.

Thanks for the link to your beautiful painting, Dukas, and for your story about it. Very touching.

The girl is very beautiful - and luring, as you note.

Ile2006 wrote: "really nice painting! Is the chick an actress? She looks familiar, I think I know her but I can't remember the name!"

She looks to me like Victoria (Posh Spice) Beckham. Maybe she was the one who was on your mind, Ile. Despite all the hype, Vicky actually has a very sweet face, and also seems sweet and authentic, so I understand Dave's enthusiasm. (But each to his; I'm enthusiastic bout my lady.)

Bluepony, I'm a'guessin that your hot on Kandinsky.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

JJ II:  Have you ever thought of portraying the Arena-boys in a group-portrait?

Bluepony:  What I'm doing is a completely different kind of "art" - I'm not sure it should be posted here...

Nicky:  Wow, the Arena guys, in Nature's dress!

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-07-30, 11:51:08

Bluepony, I'm a'guessin that your hot on Kandinsky.

Nicky.

Er... that too!  ;)
However, I mainly do paintings for people who ask me to do something specially for them, e. g. a friend wanted some sunflowers, another friend wanted lemons and oranges to match their dining room, etc. But like I said, no big deal - and not much art I'm afraid (a 5-year-old could do the same!).  ;) ;)

Appelmoes??

I'm still very curious. Does this forum have an art-section? Then we can all show of our stuff :)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-07-30, 11:55:34

Bluepony:  What I'm doing is a completely different kind of "art" - I'm not sure it should be posted here...

Nicky:  Wow, the Arena guys, in Nature's dress!

Nicky.

LOL! Nice idea. I'd give it a try if you can convince them to pose for me naked!  ;D

Nicky007

Yeah, Appy, for sure, I'm lookin forward to seein "Apple in blue", "Apple in red", "Hot apple", "Groovy apple", "Spacy apple", "Apple-schmoes", "Madonna with blunt apple", etc.

PH will be (h)appy to help you out with all the different Apple-Weltanschauungen.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

No, that would be easier with a copier!  ;)

bluepony

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Mon, 2007-07-30, 12:45:30
I'm still very curious. Does this forum have an art-section? Then we can all show of our stuff :)
Well, YOU first!

Nicky007

Quote from: bluepony on Mon, 2007-07-30, 12:47:01
LOL! Nice idea. I'd give it a try if you can convince them to pose for me naked!  ;D

I'm not sure that it would be "Art for Art's sake".

Nicky.

So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2007-07-30, 12:54:35
I'm not sure that it would be "Art for Art's sake".

Nicky.

Oh, it would be, absolutely!!  ;) ;) ;)

JJ II

QuoteLOL! Nice idea. I'd give it a try if you can convince them to pose for me naked!

Am I right that you're a bodypainter? Anyhow, whatever art it may be, feel free to post a link.

However I wás serious about the group portrait. I think a portrait of the quality of Dukas would be excellent. The band might even put it in the booklet :-)

Nicky007

Quote from: JJ II on Mon, 2007-07-30, 13:44:29
Am I right that you're a bodypainter?

No, she's a pony painter  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can