News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Favourite all-time movies

Started by Xanxtuary, Sun, 2005-02-20, 13:25:16

Previous topic - Next topic

bluepony

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2007-11-08, 12:06:47
;D  :D

To be honest, I was not so impressed by this movie when it was released but it has a romantic mood that I am very sensitive to.

I particularly remember the following sentence from Gary Oldman/Dracula : "l'absinthe est l'aphrodisiaque de l'âme". Don't know if this is faithful to the original english version but I found it beautiful ... though absinth has an awful taste  ::) It was a forbidden drink in 19th century because it was supposed to drive people crazy ...
And deservedly so, as it makes people fall in love with vampires!!  :o  ;D  ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2007-11-08, 12:06:47
... though absinth has an awful taste  ::)

Absinthe = French self-identity. Liking absinthe is: Etre Francais veritable.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Nicky007

So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-11-08, 13:59:32
I hate overdubbing...

???

So you never listen to live albums ?  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-11-08, 14:23:51
...you

Real glad to hear that, Paco  :) :) :)  because according to my studies in psychology, love and hate belong together, two sides of the same thing. So I've actually made an impression on you  :) :) :) 

You're not going off to Arjen then?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2007-11-08, 14:29:45
???

So you never listen to live albums ?  ;D

In fact: No, I don't listen that much to live albums.

I have only just a couple of live albums (SCORE by DT, Kaipa - Live, also two live albums by Ray Wilson and half of Cutting Room Floor by Kino are live songs).
And these are all because of a reason.
Kaipa - Live came in a (wow-y) box with all three first (excellent) studio albums.
Ray Wilson - Live and An Audience And Ray Wilson were bought while being impressed during a gig in Germany (don't regret it though). Besides, there are Genesis songs on them and the latter one is pure acoustic which is also cool.
Kino - Cutting Room Floor has some unreleased material that didn't make it on the Picture CD.
And I don't know why I bought Dream Theater - Score, I have only listened to it once. I was probably being very impulsive.

And of course Live DVD's are interesting mostly because of the images and eventually some behind the scenes footage. (Porcupine Tree's DVD is the best DVD I've seen by the way! Along with Neal Morse's Testimony Live.)

But dubbing a movie or television series takes away a lot of the fun.
I just can't imagine seeing "A Touch Of Frost" with Dutch voices... Ugh...
Too bad dubbing films is very common in Germany and France. They probably hate the English language so much...
Luckily for us Dutchies, we get the original sound (with Dutch subtitles). This probably explains why the Dutch are very good in speaking English (and DON'T shoot me now, I know a joke will come my way soon (eh Nicky?)).

-Paco

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-11-08, 14:46:46
Real glad to hear that, Paco  :) :) :)
Funny guy, you. ;)

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-11-08, 14:46:46because according to my studies in psychology, love and hate belong together, two sides of the same thing. So I've actually made an impression on you  :) :) :)
Are you talking about a love-hate relationship?
I think if you love someone SO MUCH, you probably get pissed often enough indeed.
The other way round is not nesseccarily true...

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-11-08, 14:46:46You're not going off to Arjen then?
I'm already a member there.
Not really an active member though.
My mission is here! ;)

-Paco

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-11-08, 16:00:15
My mission is here! ;)

Sounds great, Paco  *horns*

So, what is it - figuring out who Alice really is?  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

I have many missions Nicky.
One of these is observing the behaviour of people like you.

*takes notes*

-Paco

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-11-08, 15:55:29
Luckily for us Dutchies, we get the original sound (with Dutch subtitles).

Aha, I didn't know that. Great, the Dutch are more international than the krauts - sorry - the Germans, French etc.

> This probably explains why the Dutch are very good at speaking English (and DON'T shoot me now, I know a joke will come my way soon (eh Nicky?)).

;D

Actually I was surprised at how good your English is, Paco, both expression and spelling  :-*

Appy and Maddox are good at expressing themselves, whilst their spelling is rather spicy  ;D

Tom and Teunis we don't hear much from - meaning: that I would be happy to hear more, particularly some eeemo  ;)

Erik expresses himself and spells like a 30-year old native English academician, A+ - I'm looking for friends here  ;D

Bluey - oh, thank goodness, she's German, so I don't need to mark her up  :o

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-11-08, 16:43:22
Aha, I didn't know that. Great, the Dutch are more international than the krauts - sorry - the Germans, French etc.

Bluey - oh, thank goodness, she's German, so I don't need to mark her up  :o

Nicky.
No, please - go on insulting me!  ;)

PH

Oh hahahaha, I love the Shattered Room!

Nicky007

Quote from: bluepony on Thu, 2007-11-08, 17:12:16
No, please - go on insulting me!  ;)

Well, actually, Bluey, although I hate it, I have to give you a compliment here: Your English is excellent, not A+ like Erik's, but an A - ouch, that really hurt - you do deserve  :D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

And what about me?
Considering my vocabulary while taking my age in account!

Ok, maybe I'm a bit haughty... :D

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-11-08, 18:16:52
And what about me?

I'll leave that to Cap. After all, I'm only his lieutenant  :D

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-11-08, 18:16:52
Ok, maybe I'm a bit haughty... :D

More naughty  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-11-08, 16:26:31
I have many missions Nicky.
One of these is observing the behaviour of people like you.

*takes notes*

OK, let me hear you guess at some things in my life that I haven't told you, e.g. height, skin and (original) hair color, friends aside from roomies, character of mother and father, fave painters and authors, and other things you can think of.

Would be interesting to hear what sort of an impression one has made on roomies  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-11-08, 16:43:22

Appy and Maddox are good at expressing themselves, whilst their spelling is rather spicy  ;D

Then consider us as the new boy band: Spice Boys;D

BTW> I'm not ashamed to say that i do need a dictionary from time to time.  ;)

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-11-08, 18:12:15
Well, actually, Bluey, although I hate it, I have to give you a compliment here: Your English is excellent, not A+ like Erik's, but an A ...
And all that considering that in Germany we don't have original versions of movies with subtitles - except for some shows on MTV, but who's watching that anyway?

That must've been hard for you to admit, Nicky!  ;D

bluepony

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-11-08, 18:29:11
OK, let me hear you guess at some things in my life that I haven't told you, e.g. height, skin and (original) hair color, friends aside from roomies, character of mother and father, fave painters and authors, and other things you can think of.
I don't want to end up discussing the "what is the typical proggie" cliché, so I better don't start guessing...!  ;D

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-11-08, 18:29:11
Would be interesting to hear what sort of an impression one has made on roomies  ;)

Nicky.
Hmmm... probably not the best... ;)

bluepony

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2007-11-08, 19:25:05
Then consider us as the new boy band: Spice Boys;D
Alright, but you have to wear miniskirts and overknee boots!!  ;D ;D

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2007-11-08, 15:55:29
In fact: No, I don't listen that much to live albums.

I have only just a couple of live albums (SCORE by DT, Kaipa - Live, also two live albums by Ray Wilson and half of Cutting Room Floor by Kino are live songs).
And I don't know why I bought Dream Theater - Score, I have only listened to it once. I was probably being very impulsive.

I guess there has been a LOT of overdubs with JLB's voice (please, don't kill me Maddox  ;D) because on my Score DVD, images are so out of sync with James' singing that it becomes shocking.

QuoteBut dubbing a movie or television series takes away a lot of the fun.

Agreed. I watch as many movies or series as I can in their original version (even if it can be a little bit tiring with Japanese or Korean  ;)).

QuoteToo bad dubbing films is very common in Germany and France. They probably hate the English language so much...

I don't. But I am grateful to Nicky not to have mentioned me in his English speaking ratings  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: bluepony on Fri, 2007-11-09, 08:49:54
Hmmm... probably not the best... ;)

Hey, I didn't ask you, miss  ;D

I think that you're the kind that sits and is quiet and looks sweet at a distance - so the guy approaches expecting total sweetness ... and all of a sudden: CCCRRRunch, his head is bitten off ....  ;D ;D ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2007-11-09, 10:17:23
But I am grateful to Nicky not to have mentioned me in his English speaking ratings  ;D

One has to use entirely different measures for Frenchies: For a Frenchman to learn English, it's like for the rest of us to take a trip to the moon (and back), so considering those circumstances, your English is excellent  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can