News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Favourite all-time movies

Started by Xanxtuary, Sun, 2005-02-20, 13:25:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanxtuary

Since the esteemed denizens of these hallowed fora seem to have such excellent taste, I wondered what your favourite movie selections would be.

My all-time favourite is Brazil, the dark comedy by Terry Gilliam

Other favourites are:

Silence of the Lambs
Cape Fear
Star Trek First Contact
The Matrix (the entire trilogy)
Lord of the Rings (the entire trilogy)
Star Wars (all of them so far)
Indiana Jones (all of them)
Holes
The Colour Purple
City of Angels (my all-time tearjerker)
Medicine Man
Finding Forrester
Harry Potter (all of them so far)
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

Appelmoes??

Top 3 of my fav's

LotR
Seven
The Green Mile
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Mark Jan

The first thing I'd like to say is that I like the music much more than movies. I pay very little attention to movies. The choice between watching one movie, or play two albums is often easy made: MUSIC!

But ok, there are dozens good movies. In particular, I like maffiarelated movies, but several other movies are also very good.
Ok, my favourites:

Carlito's Way
A Bronx tale
Donnie Brasco
Trainspotting
Lord of the Rings

And several series, like

Robin of Sherwood
The Persuaders
Band of Brothers
Louis de Funnes (with the Gendarmerie and almost al his other movies)

Deenfan

If "The Lord of the Rings" was a movie, it'd be my favourite. But it isn't a movie. It's something more, and it can't be compared on equal terms with anything else I've seen on the silver screen.

"Normal" movies:

"Leon" - This is my favourite movie, and I was so impressed that I wrote lyrics to it. Now, it's a song on our debut album (which will hopefully be released this year.)

Peter

• LotR Trilogy (yes, there's a lot missing compared to the books, but it's great nevertheless)
  • Ronin
  • The Italian Job
  • Star Wars (all episodes)
  • Road Trip (hee hee ;) )
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Moonloop

Alien / Aliens
Spinal Tap
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
Close Encounters
Almost Famous
All the "Python" ones
Shrek / Shrek 2
LOTR's (all 3)

sure there are more...can't think...  ::)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Constable Hogweed

Not an out and out movie sort of person as Xanxuary well knows, but faves would include
Lord Of the Rings ( Trilogy )
Midnight Express
Blood Simple
Top Secret
Dead Zone
The Changeling
The Seventh Sign
Close Encounters
Marathon man ( Or "The Dentalist as Xanxa calls it  ;D )

Oliver Twist

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sun, 2005-02-20, 13:25:16
Since the esteemed denizens of these hallowed fora seem to have such excellent taste, I wondered what your favourite movie selections would be.

LOTR And yes, I have watched all 3 extended editions back to back. About 13 hours worth. I have read LOTR continously since 1970, I currently have 3 copies as well as an eBook on my Palm device (in case I need to refer to it)   ;-)

Star Wars - all

Casablanca

The Blues Brothers

The Long Good Friday

Oliver!

Dances With Wolves

Pirates Of The Caribbean

Carry On Up The Khyber

M*A*S*H

We Were Soldiers

Angels With Dirty Faces

The Maltese Falcon

Alien

web.mac.com/ianmoff  - iChat/AIM: ianmoff
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do your ears a favour - www.radioparadise.com

Moonloop

Oh yeah, I forgot "The Blues Brothers"  :o Classic film. Everyone should own a copy  :D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

erik

So we're standing in the Moviedrome... Let's revive this forgotten thread. Would be interesting to see Clive contribute, he's a movie lover and avid DVD collector...

So, what's on my shelves (not ranked but not entirely in random order either):

Lord Of The Rings trilogy. Saw all three of them in the cinema four times and the extended versions on DVD in one go twice (so far). Kudos to Peter Jackson and all involved.

Jim Henson (studios): Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, The Storyteller series and the more recent Mirrormask (collaboration Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean, a sort of Labyrinth of the 21st century). Love the wonderful ambiance, landscapes and creatures.

Tim Burton: Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride. He's one of a kind! Special mention of Danny Elfman's great scores.

Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli: Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle. Animated movies taken to a whole new level.

Quentin Tarantino: Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill 1 & 2. Also have all his soundtracks (except Reservoir Dogs), very enjoyable, great mixture of tunes.

Alfred Hitchcock: Vertigo, Rear Window, Psycho. The master!

Casablanca. The classic in black and white with all those memorable one-liners, "We'll always have Paris", "Here's looking at you, kid", "Play it again, Sam"...

Twelve Monkeys. Intelligent sci-fi movie with ingenious plot and not special effects driven.

The Shawshank Redemption. Great movie based on the short story by Stephen King.

Remains Of The Day. After the book by Kazuo Ishiguro. Great acting by Anthony Hopkins.

Romeo + Juliet. Shakespeare given a Baz Luhrman twist.

Strings. Recent Danish gem with puppets, in which the strings are not hidden but form an integral part of the movie.

The Matrix Trilogy. Parts 2-3 have been much derided, but it's all really good stuff.

Harry Potter series. Great adaptation of the books.

'80s nostalgia: The Never-Ending Story, Willow, Legend, The Princess Bride, Highlander (just the first one, not the sequels).

Want to check out: Brazil, V For Vendetta, Shadowlands, Gormenghast (BBC series)...

Looking forward to: Stardust (after the novel by Neil Gaiman), Beowulf, The Golden Compass (after the novel by Philip Pullman, first of his Dark Materials trilogy). And to the DVD release of Pan's Labyrinth.

By the way, a good source for movie info (facts and reviews) is the Internet Movie Database, www.imdb.com
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

bellanova

Im not much of a movie person but my faves are

Dirty Dancing
The Shawshank Redemption
Alien
Aliens
Terminator (all 3 movies)
Titanic
Silence of the Lambs
Ghost

And finally, anything with Johnny Depp

Thers probably a load ive forgotten

Oh yeah.....Superman 1 and 2!!
And The Green Mile

maddox

Wow, i never saw this thread before. Thanks for that Eric.  ;)

Okay, here goes nothing.  :P

In random order:

Once Upon A Time In The West
The Godfather Trilogy
Star Wars. All six of them.  *horns* 8)
Ben Hur
The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
Green Mile
L.A. Confidential
The Unforgiven
Pulp Fiction
Ronin

Fin;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Seven Years In Tibet
The Great Escape
Shrek
Shrek 2
Shrek 3

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

-Paco

Nicky007

Hm, nobody here seems to go for Kubrick. He's one of my favorite directors. Then there's Orson Welles, David Lynch, Francis Ford Coppola, Oliver Stone, Steven Spielberg, Kevin Smith, Ingmar Bergman, Wim Wenders, Kenneth Branagh, Marx Brothers, and Michael Moore, who also have made great films.

I'm too old to go for Star Wars, LotR, James Bond, and the like.

Some of my fave movies are:

2001: A Space Odyssey       A Clockwork Orange        Full Metal Jacket        Eyes Wide Shut       Citizen Kane        Lost Highway       Mulholland Drive      Inland Empire      Apocalypse Now        Dracula (Coppola)        The Wall  (the movie)       Baraka        Casablanca        Der Himmel über Berlin       Taking Sides       Hamlet (Branagh & Almereyda)       Platoon       Sophie Scholl        Der Untergang        Munich        Spider       The Seventh Seal        Goodbye Bafana       Lilya 4-ever       Good Will Hunting       Danielle Steel's Kaleidoscope (honestly)       The Legend Of 1900       The English Patient       Dead Again       Rain Man       Vertigo       Bowling For Columbine       Dogma       What's Eating Gilbert Grape       WTC       Don't Come Knocking        Expedition: Bismarck        A Day At The Races       A Night At The Opera       Resurrection       Se7en

I know that there are more. I'll add them when they come to mind. But these give a fair picture of my taste.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

kmorse

Anyone seen "The Prestige"? My favorite from 2006, that's for sure.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-10-02, 18:31:16
Hm, nobody here seems to go for Kubrick. He's one of my favorite directors. Then there's Oliver Stone, Orson Welles, Steven Spielberg, Francis Ford Coppola, Kevin Smith, Ingmar Bergman, Wim Wenders, Kenneth Branagh, David Lynch, and Michael Moore, who also have made great films.

I'm too old to go for Star Wars, LotR, James Bond, and the like.

Some of my fave movies are:

2001: A Space Odyssey       A Clockwork Orange        Full Metal Jacket        Eyes Wide Shut       The Wall  (the movie)       Baraka        Apocalypse Now        Dracula (Coppola)        Citizen Kane        Casablanca        Der Himmel über Berlin       Taking Sides       Hamlet (Branagh & Almereyda)       Platoon       Sophie Scholl        Der Untergang        Munich        Spider       The Seventh Seal        Goodbye Bafana       Lost Highway       Lilya 4-ever       Danielle Steel's Kaleidoscope (honestly)       The English Patient       Dead Again       Bowling For Columbine       Dogma       WTC       Don't Come Knocking        Expedition: Bismarck        Resurrection       Se7en

I know that there are more. I'll add them when they come to mind. But these give a fair picture of my taste.

Nicky.

I see that you like funny movies, Nicky  :D  You must really have tons of laughs when you watch the aforementioned ...  ;D

If I had to pick one movie, I think it would be Michael Mann's The Last of the Mohicans. Not very funny neither, I know  ...

erik

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2007-10-01, 20:51:45
Wow, i never saw this thread before. Thanks for that Eric.  ;)
I actually wanted to start a thread on movies, but first checked if there already wasn't one and turned out there was, on the very last page of the Off topic section ;)

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-10-02, 18:31:16
Hm, nobody here seems to go for Kubrick. He's one of my favorite directors.
I don't have any of his movies on DVD, but Space Oddysey and Clockwork Orange are great and Kubrick is in a league of his own. Haven't seen Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut (yet)

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2007-10-02, 17:46:38
Shrek
Shrek 2
Shrek 3
Cool! Hilariously funny and inventive. Although I do think the first one is the most suprising and original, parts 2 and 3 are more formula.

Quote from: bellanova on Mon, 2007-10-01, 13:10:15
He's really a unique actor!

Quote from: kmorse on Wed, 2007-10-03, 05:47:36
Don't know that one, will check on it!
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2007-10-03, 12:07:02
I see that you like funny movies, Nicky  :D  You must really have tons of laughs when you watch the aforementioned ...  ;D

For a moment, I thought you were serious, Bupie, but then I remembered that you have just as sick humor as I  ;D

I guess all real proggies get their mind twisted out of shape after a while   :D

A psychiatrist would probably say, seeing my list, "man, this guy really needs help, he's suicidal like crazy". Well, what do shrinks know about proggies? We slowly retreat from mainstream values (in disgust, but don't say this to the shrinks) and develop our own values, and that's what makes us "pathological".

I think that if a shrink heard Ian Bartlett's music, he'd also say "poor guy", while we roomies say "Wow, this guy's really truckin".

> If I had to pick one movie, I think it would be Michael Mann's The Last of the Mohicans. Not very funny either, I know  ...

My Dad grew up in Red Indian country (or Native American, as they like to be called nowadays), and I spent some time in his native town myself and met a lot of these people, so I have a special connection there.

Apropos (trying to be a bit froggie), do you guys know Robbie Robertson? He's half Red Indian, and he has made some remarkable music. I have his debut album Robbie Robertson, his Storyville, and Contact From The Underworld Of Redboy (his moniker is Redboy), and they're great, highly recom.

(I know, Cap, straying again. Well, what can you expect from an unemployed proggie?  ;D )

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: erik on Wed, 2007-10-03, 12:47:07
I don't have any of his [Kubrick's] movies on DVD, but Space Oddysey and Clockwork Orange are great and Kubrick is in a league of his own.

That's for sure. I've watched the full 2001 four times, and what's unusual is that I enjoyed it just as much as 19-year old as at 52. I fell over Arthur C. Clarke's book when I was 16, and I couldn't put it away; I ended it at 3 a.m. (and had to go to school the next day).

> Haven't seen Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut (yet)

Two really great movies.

I've watched EWS thrice; there's so much to discover. I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise, and he doesn't fit the role all that well, but the thing about Kubrick's later films is that the actors are less important; it's his tremendous vision that gets one.

Quote from: bellanova on Mon, 2007-10-01, 13:10:15

He is one of the greatest. It's only a pity that he applies his talent so badly. Pirates Of The Caribbean! What in living hell is such a fine actor doing in such a stereotypical movie? Well, he said that he did it for his kids. That's of course nice iaw.

He was fabulous in Gilbert Grape and Don Juan.

Quote from: kmorse on Wed, 2007-10-03, 05:47:36

Great movie, but not one of my absfaves.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

I'm glad it says "movies" and not "movie", because I couldn't limit myself to just one.

So my faves are (in no particular order):

- Bram Stoker's Dracula
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy (and pretty much everything else Peter Jackson ever made - yes, even the sick stuff!)
- pretty much everything by Monty Python
- Pirates of the Caribbean (I - III - nobody could have done a better CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow than Johnny Depp - he doesn't act, he IS!)
- From Dusk Till Dawn
- Sleepy Hollow
- From Hell (yeah, we're getting dark now)
- the Lethal Weapon series

There's many more I like, but clearly too many to write down here.

maddox

Quote from: bluepony on Wed, 2007-11-07, 18:00:07

- Pirates of the Caribbean (I - III - nobody could have done a better CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow than Johnny Depp - he doesn't act, he IS!)

Bluey for President.  *horns* (again)

;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Quote from: bluepony on Wed, 2007-11-07, 18:00:07
Bram Stoker's Dracula

Do you mean Coppola's, Bluey? - because that's a great movie  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

bluepony

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2007-11-07, 18:58:57
Bluey for President.  *horns* (again)

;D
LOL! Well, that's just one vote, so I guess I won't get too far with it, but thanks anyway!  :)

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-11-07, 20:41:47
Do you mean Coppola's, Bluey? - because that's a great movie  *horns*

Nicky.
The same - one of the greatest love stories I've ever seen (I have to admit that this was the first (and so far the only) time ever I cried in cinema - don't you just have to be sad when Dracula must die in the end? *sob*) and clearly the best movie ever.

Nicky007

I have a friend who looks like Dracula. He'd be your type, Bluey, for sure.

Give you his phonenb: (66) 666 666 666  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-11-08, 10:13:56
I have a friend who looks like Dracula. He'd be your type, Bluey, for sure.

Give you his phonenb: (66) 666 666 666  *horns*

Nicky.

;D  :D

To be honest, I was not so impressed by this movie when it was released but it has a romantic mood that I am very sensitive to.

I particularly remember the following sentence from Gary Oldman/Dracula : "l'absinthe est l'aphrodisiaque de l'âme". Don't know if this is faithful to the original english version but I found it beautiful ... though absinth has an awful taste  ::) It was a forbidden drink in 19th century because it was supposed to drive people crazy ...