News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2012-03-01, 22:00:01
Not on 'Sceneries', but on 'Posthumous Silence'. And to be sure: I don't mean growls  ;).

I guess what you mean is more like 'wailing'. Yes, it's very emotional (maybe too much sometimes?). Anyway, I like "Posthumous Silence" a lot! And "Presets" too! And it wasn't love at first sight (hearing). In fact, I think I'm going to play "Posthumous Silence" now. ;D

The only thing that's holding me back from buying their new album "Sceneries" (except for the money problem), is the fact that I think it can never be as good as "Posthumous Silence".

PH

Oh, and I have been playing a bit of "The Seventh Degree Of Seperation" before I had to go to work. 8)

Bupie

JF Arena - TSDOS   But still not ready to review it

NP Edguy - Vain Glory Opera  First listen and so far I like what I hear more than on most other Edguy's albums.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2012-03-01, 23:02:42
I guess what you mean is more like 'wailing'. Yes, it's very emotional (maybe too much sometimes?).
Don't know how you call it, all I know that it's 'over the top' sometimes ;). After looking 'wailing' up in a dictionary, I think you're right  :D.

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2012-03-01, 23:02:42
The only thing that's holding me back from buying their new album "Sceneries" (except for the money problem), is the fact that I think it can never be as good as "Posthumous Silence".
It takes some time to appreciate prog albums so now and then, more time than we have. Hey, we also need to play Arena, right? ;) It took me so much time to get into 'Posthumous Silence', but suddenly it clicked, I even bought the DVD of 'Posthumous Silence - The Show'. I was pleasantly surprised after hearing 'Sceneries', it only took a few listening to get into this one.

Today:
Gazpacho - Missa Atropos

Only 10 days till the release of 'March of Ghosts'. Really counting the days ...  8)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

Stream Of Passion - "Embrace The Storm"

Yet another great release from 2005!

It has Lucassen's magic all over it.

Bupie

JF Chrysalis - Man On Fire One of my very pleasant discoveries of 2011

NP Stride - Imagine  Thanks to Nicky for this one  ;)

Teunis

Today:
Knight Area - Nine Paths
Wolverine - Communication Lost
The Urbane - Glitter
Arena - The Seventh Degree Of Separation
*horns*

Bupie

Wolverine : another band I still have to discover.

NP Vanden Plas - Beyond Daylight  Brilliant, really  *horns*

Manatee

NP: Edison's Children - In the Last Waking Moments...

Yesterday I played: Rewiring Genesis - A Tribute to the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

It was an odd experience -- I don't really like it.  Basically, it's an abomination.  It's not that it isn't performed well, but in some ways it reminds me of the things that caused Genesis to deteriorate -- lots of horns and sax (not that those can't be prog, but for me it isn't the real Genesis) and sort of jazzy.  I decided to take it as an educational experience.  The vocals are extremely clear, and it gave me a better understanding of the lyrics of The Lamb.  I don't think I'll revisit this again soon when I can play the original Lamb instead, but it can't say it wasn't thought provoking.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Manatee

Been up late on the computer, working, sort of.  Played a nice assortment of stuff.  I was inspired to play some Mastodon by seeing the last several minutes of a cable TV show about progressive metal!  They had Mastodon, Fates Warning, Rush, Queensrÿche, old Black Sabbath, someone wearing an Opeth shirt, a moment of Vanden Plas live, and interview clips with Mike Portnoy all in the part I saw, so it looks like it really did cover the genre fairly seriously.  Hopefully it will rerun, and I'll get to see the whole thing.

NP: Sylvan - Sceneries (again, I know -- I'm hooked on this one)   There's a line that sounds like "with our own Manatee."  No doubt that's not it, but it amuses me anyway.   ;D

JP: DeeExpus - The King of Number 33

Also Played:

Exawatt - Among Different Sights     Italian prog semi-metal.  It doesn't blow me away, but I kind of like it.  Given it a few spins now.

Dimension Act - Manifestations of Progress    Norwegian prog metal.  First play.  So far, not bad, not spectacular.

Mastodon - Blood Mountain

Mastodon - Crack the Skye     

Steve Hackett - Beyond the Shrouded Horizon    He's very prolific.  Seems like he's never quite 5 stars, but he's always enjoyable.

a few tracks from Profusion - RewoTower    More Italian metal.  I don't think the whole album is that strong, but there are a few nice tracks.  In particular, I like "Chuta Chani," which is their adaptation of a western Georgian (the country, not the U.S. state) folk song -- I found that out from a review on Prog Archives.  Has a really unique charm to it as well as some catchy hooks.

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2012-03-01, 16:47:29
To Nicky : Seventh Wonder is not so heavy

Well ...  ;)

... and at least there are no growls  ;D

That's correct, Bupie - not that it bothers me  :)

Quote from: Bupie on Sat, 2012-03-03, 11:03:33
NP Stride - Imagine  Thanks to Nicky for this one  ;)

:)

Prior to Imagine, Stride made an instrumental album called Music Machine (2002, before singer Gary Belin entered the mix), also excellent, tho missing the special magic that Gary added  ;)

NP  Psychotic Waltz:  Into The Everflow

Still diggin this very special exciting band  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Bupie

Today is women's shelf clearance day. Which means that I am testing some albums that I haven't listened to in years in order to decide if I keep them (yes, I know, you don't care but anyway ..).

In order of appearance so far :

Asia - Aria This one received pretty good reviews. As you may know, I have nothing against pop or easy listening music, on the contrary, but this one just leaves me  :o Such a waste of talent ... On sale.
Megadeth - United Abonimations Dreadful artwork, childish lyrics, unimaginative music and a disputable self-cover. Sorry Dave but on sale too.
Evergrey - The Inner Circle  Hum, I am more reluctant about this one but I still feel that most of the emotion is fake and that the music is pretty generic. On sale but I could miss it one day.

More to come, alas.

Teunis

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2012-03-08, 13:51:00
Asia - Aria This one received pretty good reviews. As you may know, I have nothing against pop or easy listening music, on the contrary, but this one just leaves me  :o Such a waste of talent ... On sale.
:o Really dig this one! Great tracks on it: 'Desire', 'Remembrance Day', 'Military Man', 'Aria', 'Enough's Enough'. Well for you it's obviously enough ;).

tired_of_dancing

Here is my musical list for the last days.
I found an old memory/USB stick with some good songs, I haven't played for a long time.
Queen/Paul Rodgers – Say its not true
Kansas – Rainmaker
James Gang – Mystery
Anyone's Daughter – Far away
Now they are on repeat especially Paul Roland – Nosferatu.  *horns*
I don't know if its a popular song. Highly recommended to check out. Sooooo cool, kind of gothic/baroc, psychedelic touch as well. BTW intoned by a church organ.

Then Steve Hogarth and Richard Barbieri. Uups...strange stuff, does not reach me.

The new Springsteen album "Wrecking Ball".

Sylvan - Presets with my beloved "One step beyond"

And the best is yet to come.... "Sceneries". Me too,  I'm in love with the new album.
That blew me away. I'm happy. Thankful too, for such a deep intense musical experience.

'I can do anything, I'm still the child.'

Bupie

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2012-03-08, 18:36:00
:o Really dig this one! Great tracks on it: 'Desire', 'Remembrance Day', 'Military Man', 'Aria', 'Enough's Enough'. Well for you it's obviously enough ;).
You are with the majority here. It must be me but it is just plain bad to my ears. Until it is sold, I still have the time to change my mind ... if I listen to it again !

NP Touchstone - The City Sleeps

First listen but so far it is very promising. It reminds me of The Reasoning but a better Reasoning (to be confirmed).

Bupie

JF Haken - Aquarius  First listen too but on my computer at work with a very poor and low sound. I need better conditions and more listens to forge an opinion. I was expecting something heavier though.

NP Sean Filkins - War ... Did I already mention that I like this one ?  ;D

Teunis

Today:
Wolverine - Communication Lost
Gazpacho - March of Ghosts

Heard it three times so far. It takes a few listenings, but it's very enjoyable. It is much calmer than 'Missa Atropos', more in the vein of Night, which isn't bad ;).

Manatee

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2012-03-09, 19:38:13
Gazpacho - March of Ghosts

Heard it three times so far. It takes a few listenings, but it's very enjoyable. It is much calmer than 'Missa Atropos', more in the vein of Night, which isn't bad ;).

If it's like Night, I'll be delighted.  That's my favorite.  Oddly enough, ...

NP: Gazpacho - Missa Atropos

JP: Spock's Beard - The X Tour Live

I really want to like Spock's Beard.  They have moments that are just awesome, but then they tend to wander for several minutes before they become interesting again.  That seems to be somewhat common with a certain kind of prog -- I think it's kind of hit and miss which of these bands have a style that happens to hold your interest during the excursions off into the unknown.

Teunis

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2012-03-09, 22:15:58
I really want to like Spock's Beard.  They have moments that are just awesome, but then they tend to wander for several minutes before they become interesting again.  That seems to be somewhat common with a certain kind of prog -- I think it's kind of hit and miss which of these bands have a style that happens to hold your interest during the excursions off into the unknown.
I have the same 'problem' with Spock's Beard. It seems to be the top of the prog league, but I just don't like it. I've tried and tried, gave it some time but the music is too complicated for me. Other bands I've tried (hard) but no click: Porcupine Tree, Marillion, Yes. And still I consider myself a progger ;).

Still in heavy rotation: Gazpacho - March of Ghosts. It gets better and better .....  8).

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2012-03-09, 22:15:58
I really want to like Spock's Beard.  They have moments that are just awesome, but then they tend to wander for several minutes before they become interesting again.

I like their self-titled ninth album a lot. There are one or two tracks that I don't like much, but the bulk of the album is bliss  *horns*

Often one just has to listen to the stuff sufficiently. What a lotta people, even proggies (also some Roomies), don't keep in mind is that serious music calls for many listens. One can't really evaluate a SB album before one has played it thru at least five, maybe ten times  ;)

NP  Explorers Club:  Fading Fast

For me, the ultimate rock piece  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2012-03-11, 13:23:14
I like [Spock's Beard's] self-titled ninth album a lot. There are one or two tracks that I don't like much, but the bulk of the album is bliss  *horns*

Yeah same here! *horns*

NP:
Dream Theater - "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence"
1. The Glass Prison

Great song! ;D 8)

I started with the second disc and now I'm listening to the first disc. The first disc has two really good songs: The Glass Prison and Misunderstood. The other songs are nice as well, but overall I reach for the second disc more often.

Teunis

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2012-03-11, 13:23:14
Often one just has to listen to the stuff sufficiently. What a lotta people, even proggies (also some Roomies), don't keep in mind is that serious music calls for many listens. One can't really evaluate a SB album before one has played it thru at least five, maybe ten times  ;)
Believe me Nicky, I did. I know what prog is ;).

Today:
Gazpacho - March of Ghosts (2x)
Gazpacho - Tick Tock

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Sun, 2012-03-11, 20:09:42
Believe me Nicky, I did. I know what prog is ;).

I think Nicky knows that we all know what prog is. He just wants to show us the proggy prog.
But when we tell him we know THAT one too, he claims to have found the proggiest proggy prog. And well, it might be called the proggiest of the most proggiest proggy prog, but sometimes you can hardly call it music anymore.

;)

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2012-03-11, 17:56:09
NP:
Dream Theater - "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence"
1. The Glass Prison

Great song! ;D 8)

I started with the second disc and now I'm listening to the first disc. The first disc has two really good songs: The Glass Prison and Misunderstood. The other songs are nice as well, but overall I reach for the second disc more often.
My favorite DT album, along with I&W : I wish I could find a SDOIT T-shirt to put on when I go to the bakery on saturday morning. I find the first CD flawless and Blind Faith is one my favorite DT songs.

NP Vanden Plas - Far Off Grace

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2012-03-12, 11:12:39
I wish I could find a SDOIT T-shirt to put on when I go to the bakery on saturday morning.

;D
Why?