News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Iggy

Quote from: Manatee on Tue, 2012-02-21, 19:08:18
NP: Sylvan - Sceneries

This one has really clicked for me.  It's on my to buy list, and I want to check out more Sylvan.  As to epics, it has five songs, and I think the shortest comes in at something over 14 minutes.   *horns*   That bring up an interesting question: what qualifies a song as an epic?  Is Opera Fanatica too short?  (of course it is since I could listen to an hour of that song, but for epic purposes ...)

Sounds like I should check out Sean Filkins too.  If Mr. Mitchell is on it, how could it be bad?   8)   I have the samples on the Filkins website cued up to play after Sylvan finishes.

I'll also add my endorsement to Gazpacho.  Try something fairly recent (Night or newer -- Night is my favorite by a hair).  I was going to suggest listening to their live album, London, on progrstreaming, but it appears to have dropped off the list.  :-\   It mostly (entirely?) has songs from the last three studio albums.  I still have to check out their older stuff, but I'm led to believe they didn't really hit their stride until Night.

I like Sceneries as well and as for Gazpacho Bravo is a cracking Album as well. Night for me is a superb not a bad track on it.

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2012-02-21, 17:33:03
Great ! I thought I was the only one (with Deenfan when he passes by  :)) to like it here. The Seven Angels is enough to make Part 2 worth of buy but Chalice Of Agony is really a huge favorite of mine

I acually own all of the Avantasia catalogue and was a little disappointed with the last CD.

tired_of_dancing

Bruce Springsteen - Dream Baby Dream

Well, as goodnight-song. Soothing.
Worth checking out guys and try if it works for you. Especially at the end of a shitty day.
Always the same words. Dream Baby Dream. I just wanna see you smile. Come on darling dry your eyes. Dream Baby Dream.
Its like a mantra and its crazy how he's able to soothe you and he captivates you into it for minutes and leaves you with a smile.
A rarer Springsteen track, I stumbeled upon by incident. He did it as encore on Devils & Dust tour.
A cover, original by Suicide.
'I can do anything, I'm still the child.'

maddox

Radiohead ~ The Bends

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Manatee

NP: Syncromind Project - Synchronized

Some nice instrumental prog metal I found on progstreaming.  This one's also available as a (legal) free download.  Bit of a coincidence since I'd just played all the Cloudkicker I had last night.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

maddox

Quote from: Manatee on Tue, 2012-02-14, 18:45:00
As do I.  I thought she was mine with Steve out of the picture.  Now I have to fight you for her?   :'(

Hehe, I just saw this!  ;D

Nah, my love for her is just platonic, it has got nothing to do with actual love so you are free to make your move.  :-* ;)

NP> Anneke van Giersbergen (ex-The Gathering) ~ Everything is Changing

Quite radiofriendly rock songs, but every song she sings is marvelous, no matter the direction.
Some melodies even reminds me a bit of ... Ayreon.
Highly enjoyable!  *horns*
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Manatee

QuoteNP> Anneke van Giersbergen (ex-The Gathering) ~ Everything is Changing

Quite radiofriendly rock songs, but every song she sings is marvelous, no matter the direction.
Some melodies even reminds me a bit of ... Ayreon.
Highly enjoyable!  *horns*

As it happens, I'd just heard a song from Ayreon on Morow.com last night (from the album with the 0's and 1's).  I was immediately sure it was Anneke on vocals.  She does have a great voice.  She also sings on the Addicted album from the Devin Townsend Project (and I think a few songs on the other albums as well).  An interesting phenomenon in the prog world is that artists frequently appear on projects other than their own, and sometimes that's where they give their best performances.

aswas

Thanks Manatee. Good to be back.

Pendragon  Pure

Banco  Darwin

Arena  The Visitor - Still my fave
don't fly... too close to the sun

Nicky007

NP  Blue Öyster Cult:  Curse of the Hidden Mirror  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Bupie

Today, in order of appearance :

Martin Orford : The Old Road
Phideaux : Doomsday Afternoon
Steve Hackett : Tokyo Tapes
Vanden Plas : Beyond Daylight
Seventh Wonder : The Great Escape

I am quietly climbing the steps towards evening heaviness  :)

Bupie

Sean Filkins - War And Peace & Other Short Stories

8)

Bupie

Seventh Wonder : The Great Escape

I am really stuck with this one these days. At first listens, Alley Cat overshadowed the other songs but now I find them almost equally brilliant. I can't believe that this album and previous from SW have so few reviews on Progarchives  :o It's just a progmetal masterpiece IMHO  *horns*

I am eager to visit their back catalog since Mercy Falls and even Waiting In The Wings received more praise.

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2012-02-29, 11:35:15
I am eager to visit their back catalog since Mercy Falls and even Waiting In The Wings received more praise.

Those are great too, but with The Great Escape, SW surpassed themselves  *horns*

NP  Psychotic Waltz:  A Social Grace  &  Into The Everflow

A group that's even more unjustly ignored  :(

Formidable  *horns*

Looks like they'r preparing a new album  8)

Anyone into PW ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

I know that they were a prog metal band of the early 90's with a cool name but I haven't heard anything from them. They gather good reviews on PA, though.

NP Martin Orford - The Old Road

Considering my avatar, this light neo prog offering of the now retired Martin (I hope he will come back one day  :-X) didn't take long to get my dead reckoning  8)

Manatee

JP: Arena - TSDOS (I finally posted my review!  :o)
     Marillion - Marbles

NP: Martin Orford - Classical Music and Popular Songs

This is the only one of your new purchases that I know, Bupie, but I give it a  *horns*.

Also, as to this recent grouping of albums (last two left off since I don't know them), I have the following to say:

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2012-02-27, 17:52:56

Martin Orford : The Old Road
Phideaux : Doomsday Afternoon
Steve Hackett : Tokyo Tapes

If you had a radio show, I would listen to it.   8)

Nicky, I don't know Psychotic Waltz.  Maybe progstreaming will get their new album, and I can give them a thorough listen.  I don't really know Seventh Wonder either, but they're so well-liked in the Room that I think I'd better give them a try.

Bupie

Quote from: Manatee on Wed, 2012-02-29, 19:43:02
If you had a radio show, I would listen to it.   8)
Thanks. If I had one, you would be my US correspondent : it would be the occasion to give some airplay to the other DT ... but I would not place you in charge of the prog metal section  ;D

Joke aside, DPRP (that some of our Dutch Roomies know very well) already runs a great prog radio show  *horns*

NP : Festival Music 2011 Sampler CD including numerous incredibly great songs by artists whose name is familiar to many prog fans but whose outputs remain rather confidential  :P

Iggy

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2012-02-28, 14:39:58
Sean Filkins - War And Peace & Other Short Stories

8)

Indeed it is  8). I liked it very much on the first listen. I hope it isn't a shrinker  :P

NP IO Earth - Moments. It is a fairly gentle affair and easy to listen to whilst working.

Iggy

I don't really know Seventh Wonder either, but they're so well-liked in the Room that I think I'd better give them a try.

I have all of their stuff and the latest 2 are the best imho.

Manatee

NP: Exawatt - Among Different Sights    Italian prog metal.  After a couple of listens, it's pleasant but not earth-shaking.

Also Played:

DeeExpus - The King of Number 33
Agents of Mercy - The Black Forest
Sylvan - Sceneries

If the other Sylvan albums are anywhere close to as good as this one, I will have to get them all.   *horns*

Quote from: Iggy on Thu, 2012-03-01, 12:41:16
Indeed it is  8). I liked it very much on the first listen. I hope it isn't a shrinker  :P

;D  Great (but scary) concept.  I think that happens a lot with non-prog -- catchy tunes but then you've heard all there is to hear after a handful of plays.

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2012-02-29, 18:09:50
I know that they were a prog metal band of the early 90's with a cool name but I haven't heard anything from them.

Nicky, I don't know Psychotic Waltz.  Maybe progstreaming will get their new album, and I can give them a thorough listen.

PW were one of the most groundbreaking bands. (Let's see if they still are with their expected new album.) They'r very difficult to get into, but with the required patience, very fulfilling and lasting  *horns*

Particularly Devon Graves' (in PW aliased Buddy Lackey) singing is a treat. It's astonishing, he can take his voice into impossible places, and always controlled and precise  :o

I don't really know Seventh Wonder either, but they're so well-liked in the Room that I think I'd better give them a try.

;)

But they'r very heavy, Greenie, and maybe you'l think that they'r too heavy for your age  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2012-03-01, 15:26:38
Sylvan - Sceneries

If the other Sylvan albums are anywhere close to as good as this one, I will have to get them all.   *horns*
I read mixed reviews about Sceneries, some people arguing that some songs are unnecessarily overstretched. So, as an introdcution to Sylvan, I was thinking of getting Posthumous Silence instead.

Quote;D  Great (but scary) concept.  I think that happens a lot with non-prog -- catchy tunes but then you've heard all there is to hear after a handful of plays.
In the cas of War..., the album including two epics -one divided in two parts for a total of 30 minutes and the other reaching the 20 minutes mark- I would not worry about the shrinking  :D But The English Eccentric was indeed a love-at-first-listen-song.

To Nicky : Seventh Wonder is not so heavy ... and at least there are no growls  ;D

NP Manning - Margaret's Children

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2012-03-01, 15:54:18

But they'r very heavy, Greenie, and maybe you'l think that they'r too heavy for your age  ;D

Perhaps you're right.  These tenders ears are not quite 50.  Do Seventh Wonder make Mastodon sound like ballet music?

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2012-03-01, 16:47:29
I read mixed reviews about Sceneries, some people arguing that some songs are unnecessarily overstretched. So, as an introdcution to Sylvan, I was thinking of getting Posthumous Silence instead.

I read that too, but I disagree, especially since the songs all consist of 3 or 4 distinct sections, so in a way, it's like there are 19 songs.  In any case, you can give the whole album a try for free on progstreaming.com (I know I keep mentioning this site, but I do spend half the day listening to it  ;D) at the moment.  On the other hand, I also saw the good reviews for Posthumous Silence and may go ahead and get that one as well.

NP: Montresor - Daybreak

There's a song called "Medusa" on this album.  I wonder if it's an Arena cover?   ;)

Teunis

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2012-03-01, 17:16:25
On the other hand, I also saw the good reviews for Posthumous Silence and may go ahead and get that one as well.
Great album, though it took some time till it clicked with me. Don't like the 'emotional screamings' of the singer that much. I even prefer 'Presets'  :).

Airbag - All Rights Removed  8)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Manatee

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2012-03-01, 20:14:53
Great album, though it took some time till it clicked with me. Don't like the 'emotional screamings' of the singer that much. I even prefer 'Presets'  :).

The singer certainly is emotional, but I didn't really notice him screaming or similar on "Sceneries."  I'll listen for it next time around, but maybe he's cut down on it.  If you want to hear a serious scream, try the one after the end of the bonus song on Devin Townsend's "Ocean Machine" CD.  Great album, but I usually take my earphones off at that point to avoid permanent damage.  ;D

NP: Spock's Beard - The X Tour Live

Teunis

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2012-03-01, 20:33:07
The singer certainly is emotional, but I didn't really notice him screaming or similar on "Sceneries."  I'll listen for it next time around, but maybe he's cut down on it.
Not on 'Sceneries', but on 'Posthumous Silence'. And to be sure: I don't mean growls  ;).

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2012-03-01, 20:33:07If you want to hear a serious scream, try the one after the end of the bonus song on Devin Townsend's "Ocean Machine" CD.  Great album, but I usually take my earphones off at that point to avoid permanent damage.  ;D
Really can't listen to this man :-\ .
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Manatee

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2012-03-01, 22:00:01
Really can't listen to this man :-\ .

He's certainly not to everyone's taste.  For some reason he appeals to me even though there's a good bit of prog metal that I don't care for.  If you're interested (and I certainly understand if you're not), "Ki" and "Ghost" from his recent Devin Townsend Project are much less aggressive than most of his other stuff -- I wouldn't call them metal at all.  They're quite different from his heavy albums, although they still reflect his personality in a way.

JP: Profusion - RewoToweR   A very unusual Italian band.  Some of it is pretty nifty; some of it, I'm not sure what to think.   :-\

NP: Gandalf's Project - Insights