News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Biggest loss to music

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-03-15, 13:03:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Artists who died before their time

Jimi Hendrix
5 (11.6%)
John Lennon
10 (23.3%)
Phil Lynott
2 (4.7%)
Freddy Mercury
23 (53.5%)
John Bonham
3 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Moonloop

Hendrix - Guitar god, never been equalled (not even by Blackmore)
Lennon - Classic songwriter although some of his solo stuff was indulgent noodling
Lynott - Rocker. Poet. Amazingly talented guy, very sad loss.
Mercury - Quite possibly the greatest frontman ever
Bonham - His death caused the demise of one of the greatest bands ever

Tricky choice - so much so I haven't decided myself yet  ;)
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Moonloop

I've gone for John Bonham (VERY close call). Mainly because Zeppelin were a relatively young band and had a lot of time ahead of them  :(

Simtere

Guitarists, Singers and Drummers eh!  Can anyone think of any late great bass or keyboard players? 

Regarding the choice given I'd have to go for Freddie.  I've never been a Hendrix fan, Lennon (in my opinion) is massively over-rated and Phil Lynott lost my interest when Thin Lizzy brought out that crap single 'Whiskey In The Jar'.  I'd tend to agree however that Bonham is a sad loss!

Moonloop

Quote from: Simtere on Tue, 2005-03-15, 14:57:12
Guitarists, Singers and Drummers eh!  Can anyone think of any late great bass or keyboard players? 

Well, Phil Lynott was a Bassist  ;) . Couldn't think of any keyboardists though  :) .

Quote from: Simtere on Tue, 2005-03-15, 14:57:12

Phil Lynott lost my interest when Thin Lizzy brought out that crap single 'Whiskey In The Jar'. 

Blimey, that's a hell of a big chunk of Lizzy's career to dismiss  ;)

Simtere

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-03-15, 15:08:53
Blimey, that's a hell of a big chunk of Lizzy's career to dismiss  ;)

True .... but with so much music about you have to base your likes and dislikes on something.  I'm willing to be shown the error of my ways if you have a good recommendation - till then the feeling stands!  :)

Peter

I voted for Freddie, cos he was such an extraordinary entertainer and singer. Too bad I've never been to a Queen concert while he was alive... :(
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Moonloop

Quote from: Simtere on Tue, 2005-03-15, 15:10:56
True .... but with so much music about you have to base your likes and dislikes on something.  I'm willing to be shown the error of my ways if you have a good recommendation - till then the feeling stands!  :)

Nope. I'm happy for you to hold on to your opinion, it wasn't a criticism, just surprised at the point in the career that's all  ;) .  If you'd cited "Trouble Boys" for example, then I wouldn't have commented  ;D

I'd love to point out a couple of less obvious killer "must have" tracks from their latter period but I can't really think of any  :-[ . Ho hum....

The Voyager

I gave my voice for John Lennon. The world has lost one half of the greatest song-writing team(L/M) and one quarter ot the most popular group ever. John got his message across with music bringing joy to many millions. It was a tragic loss that never be replaced.

Mark Jan

John Lennon. Ok, it was already 10 years after the Beatles, but he was working on a new album and could not finish it.

gelert

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-03-15, 15:08:53
Couldn't think of any keyboardists though  :) .

Mark Kelly.

Wot do you mean, he's not dead...?

Well, who nicked his "twiddley-fingers" then...?

Ffnaar, ffnaar...!
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Appelmoes??

Freddie, a unique person and voice.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Moonloop

Quote from: gelert on Tue, 2005-03-15, 17:28:51
Mark Kelly.

Wot do you mean, he's not dead...?

Well, who nicked his "twiddley-fingers" then...?

Ffnaar, ffnaar...!

Wasn't it that bloke from Grey Lady Down....  ;)

gelert

Quote from: Moonloop on Wed, 2005-03-16, 08:21:02
Wasn't it that bloke from Grey Lady Down....  ;)

What, Mark Westworth licked nicked his fingers...?
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

CygnusX1

Re. keyboardists - I think you lot are forgetting Camel legend Pete Baardens. :(

Moonloop

Quote from: CygnusX1 on Thu, 2005-03-17, 00:20:31
Re. keyboardists - I think you lot are forgetting Camel legend Pete Baardens. :(

How very remiss of me  :-[

The Voyager

Is there anybody who have remembrance about Jim Morrison?

Moonloop

Of course....I only have 3 of the Doors albums though :

1. The Doors               
2. LA Woman               
3. Morrison Hotel

All great albums  ;D

The Voyager

It's a hudge pity, Jim Morrison has gone before time.  :'(

Appelmoes??

I got a 'best of' the Doors, but I wouldn't vote for him, he was his own demise...

My drawings on MySpace

kmorse

I would add Duane Allman to your list for consideration.
I'm falling.....Falling down again!

Deenfan

I voted for Lennon, partly because his death I find the most senseless. The others died as a consequence of their lifestyle, from what I know. Dying in a freak rollercoaster accident after enjoying the ride so far is one thing. Dying from having the cart smashing into your head as you walk past the amusement park is another altogether...

Constable Hogweed

Lennon for me. great songwriter, and a man who told it like it was.
All of the above are great losses though.

The Voyager

You're right, Constable Hogweed. Not to mention that John Lennon's life was taken by sensitive killer in New York. A musician who spends his great talent preaching against violence and hate was shot dead. Paul McCartney said such words: "He is to be missed by the whole world." And I'm still crying. :'(

Xanxtuary

All of the above and many more.  I voted for Lennon in the end, after much ponderance. 

I would also add Frank Zappa to that list, such a great innovator, and George Harrison also deserves a mention.

Too many artistic and talented souls cut off in their prime, perhaps we'd better not dwell too much on this subject.
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

Appelmoes??

Indeed, it does makes one sad :(

My drawings on MySpace