News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Humanism and christianity, religious indifference

Started by PH, Mon, 2008-01-07, 20:54:51

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Some time ago I made this post in the christian bands topic. It was not really on topic there, but I thought of it as a very interesting discussion. So I think it's a bit wasted to let it go just like that. :)

I am very curious to replies. Especially Nicky's, since he and I were in a dialogue there. ;D

Fire away Nicky! *horns*

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2007-11-27, 17:16:01
Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-11-27, 14:32:09Paco, I would insist that Humanism is a consequence of Christianity.
I also think Humanism is a consequence of Christianity, but Humanism is risen to a whole new level of having it's own religion (sort of).
I'm not saying Humanism is bad, but more elements were added to it (everybody is his own god, you have to look for the good things in yourself, and more of that kind of things), so what do we need Christ for?

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-11-27, 14:32:09One of the things Christ says here and there is, that if you want to follow Me, you have to give up everything that binds you to mass culture
Is this why you chose to listen to prog rather than pop music, Nicky? ;D ;)
If you want to follow Jesus, you have to give up everything that leads you away from Gods will. Things that stand between you and God. If parents, friends or children (or ANYTHING!!) lead you away from the will of God, you have to give them up. Which doesn't mean you'll never see them anymore of course. Just that you don't participate when they do something against Gods will (like cursing, stealing, whatever). And to be honest I find this often very difficult.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-11-27, 14:32:09learn to rely on your own judgment - of course inspired by the Light of Christ, i.a. the Bible
Are you sure it's not the other way round, Nicky? Can we rely on our own judgment? I think we should rely on the Bible and judge everything through that. I think this is a fundamental difference.
"Rely on your own judgment" sounds a lot like being your own god... And this is nothing more or less than Humanism with a Christian flavour.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-11-27, 14:32:09the Bible, which is a history and a compendium of human knowledge and wisdom.
But above all: Gods Word! And I think the truth, that's why I am a Christian. ;D The Quran is also history and a compendium of human knowledge and wisdom, so are the books of Buddah, Confusius, Hindu etc etc... Very interesting books and very good to take inspiration from. But not the truth! ;)
Have you ever read the apocryphes, Nicky? And do you know why they are not accepted as canon in the Bible? I think they are very interesting and very inspirational, but not truth.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-11-27, 14:32:09Look at the world? Where do you find respect of the individual? - a vital principle of Humanism.
Which is indeed already half of Jesus' summarized commandment.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-11-27, 14:32:09The atheists are also living by the Grace of God - only they dont acknowledge it !
As long as you do good, you will make it... Yes, I've heard it all before. But I don't believe it.
Do we need Christ? Or can we do without?

-Paco

Nicky007

It's a bit difficult to get a proper overview of the material, Paco. Maybe you could draw up some themes you'd like to discuss further  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-01-08, 10:38:29It's a bit difficult to get a proper overview of the material, Paco. Maybe you could draw up some themes you'd like to discuss further  :)

Alright.
Some questions for all of you to answer.

Some think that being a christian means being a good person or doing good. But that's also what it means to be a humanist.
There's more to being a christian, and there's probably more to being a humanist also.

But for some reason the line seems to be a bit blurry.

What is the cause for the 'blurry line'?
And what exactly is the difference between a christian and a humanist?
Are you a christian or a humanist?
How do you practice being a christian/humanist?
Can you be a christian and humanist at the same time?
Are there conflicting views?
What is the essence of christianity?
What is the essence of being a humanist?
When you are a christian, does it bring responsibilities you otherwise wouldn't have had?

A few questions :P, probably some overlap.
I'd love to hear your view on these matters since this really interests me.

--Paco

Nicky007

Well, you can be a humanist without being religious. You can be an atheistic or agnostic humanist  :)

Being a Christian requires more than being religious. To be Christian, you have to see something absolute in the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ, our Path to Eternal Life  ;)

Can you be a Christian and humanist at the same time ?  Yes, I'd say that if you'r a true Christian, you'l be a humanist too, cuz being Christian implies that you believe that all humans are equal in the eyes of God, and that any surplus you have, economically and otherwise, should be applied to the needy.

Are there conflicting views ?  Metaphysically, obviously yes, but being a Christian does not mean that you'r constantly smearing it in the face of others; no, you can do good deeds side by side with atheists, Muslims and others.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me