News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

"See you later"-topic

Started by Appelmoes??, Wed, 2005-10-19, 23:36:22

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Just a question: Who's Nicole?
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Manatee

Quote from: maddox on Wed, 2009-05-20, 21:19:02
Just a question: Who's Nicole?

Assuming you're serious, I'll answer seriously: Nicole Kidman, the beautiful red-haired Austrailian actress who used to be married to Tom Cruise but isn't anymore.  She's been in lots of movies, including the recent Austrailia, Moulin Rouge, Batman Forever, To Die For, and the horrible Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick seemed to make only brilliant movies or unwatchable ones).  The last one is, IMO, so bad, that it's hard to watch despite Nicole appearing nude in it a fair bit, which is indeed a lovely sight, even without cheese.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

maddox

maddox

Manatee

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Wed, 2009-05-20, 19:14:35
the mentally unstable Tom Cruise

Scientology top gun - nuff said  :(

And yes, we like Nicole very much

Great actress, gives a lot of herself, and very much a woman. (Strange that it took so long for Bups to realise that.)  ;D

I have vivid memories of her in Kubrick's masterly Eyes Wide Shut. (If any of you havent seen it (thrice) then here's a warm recom.) Cruise was good, but imagine Michael Keaton in that role  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-05-21, 10:06:02
Scientology top gun - nuff said  :(

Well, the Scientology part is weird, yeah.  I wouldn't damn him for Top Gun, even if I hated it, since most actors end up in some lousy movies along with the good ones.  Plus, while it's certainly not great art, I found Top Gun at least modestly diverting.  No question but that Mr. Cruise is indeed addled though.

Great actress, gives a lot of herself, and very much a woman. (Strange that it took so long for Bups to realise that.)  ;D

I have vivid memories of her in Kubrick's masterly Eyes Wide Shut. (If any of you havent seen it (thrice) then here's a warm recom.) Cruise was good, but imagine Michael Keaton in that role  ;)

Interesting you should say that, since (as I said above), I found that movie so awful as to be near-unwatchable even with Nicole in all her glory.  For me Kubrick seemed to be either brilliant or awful, rarely somewhere in the middle.  I think A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, and Dr. Strangelove are all outstanding.  2001 I found so dull that I pretty much had to bang my head against the seat in front of me to remain awake (my friend actually did fall asleep).  I mean, I got the symbolism in the first minute, couldn't the monkey have done something else for the next half hour?  Anyway tastes differ, one of my dearest friends has such different taste in movies from me that I usually assume the opposite of her review is accurate (if she likes it, it's bad; if she hates it, it's got potential).

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-05-21, 21:05:30
I found that movie so awful  ...  2001 I found so dull ...

Hey, what's with you, Greenie  :o :o :o

Two of my alltime fave films  *horns*

... couldn't the monkey have done something else for the next half hour?

Like screw ?  ;D

OK, it wasnt exactly an advertisement for vegetarianism, but there were two things that did grip me: The fabulous acting, it really gave one a feeling of what it was like to be primeval man; and the stark juxtaposition of these sad elemental beings with the perfect glistening monolith  8)

I'v seen 2001 thrice in its full length, and played choice sequences further times. This movie just might be my alltime fave  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-05-21, 21:28:15
Hey, what's with you, Greenie  :o :o :o

Two of my alltime fave films  *horns*

As I said, tastes differ.  My favorites are more along the lines of a couple of Woody Allen's best and The Great Escape.

Where do you stand on Animal House?   ;D

Like screw ?  ;D

Well, it would've been more interesting, at least.   ;D   I just feel he took far far too long to make points that easily could have been made in far less time, even allowing for the fact that he obviously wanted to create a slow, deliberate effect.  Not every film has to move at the pace of a Bruce Willis movie, but I do want to see *something* happen.  But anyway, it's ok if we disagree.  Maybe we need a Debates About Film topic.  At least we both like Nicole.   ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-05-21, 21:50:13
As I said, tastes differ.

Yeah, e.g. some people like cheese; others deal with it  :D

My favorites are more along the lines of a couple of Woody Allen's best

I saw a lot of Woody Allen films in my youth, I guess cause everybody and his brother and sister were doin it (i.e. seeing WA films, i.e. talkin about "it" instead of doin "it"). I laughed a lot. Havent felt inclined to see any lately (altho I still laugh, just find other means, like you jerks)  ;D

Where do you stand on Animal House?   ;D

Didnt even know it existed  ???

Isnt even rated on IMDb, nor is there a synopsis, so I don't have the slightest idea of what it's about. I can't even figure the joke, unless it has somethin to do with that I'm veg  ::)

Maybe we need a Debates About Film topic.

We actually have one - somewhere in this maze  :D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-05-21, 23:20:55
I saw a lot of Woody Allen films in my youth, I guess cause everybody and his brother and sister were doing so. I laughed a lot. Havent felt inclined to see any lately (altho I still laugh, just find other means)  ;D

I haven't seen some of his more recent ones either, and I do like the old funny ones, but some of the best IMO are the part serious/part funny ones like Annie Hall and Hannah and Her Sisters.

Didnt even know it existed  ???

Isnt even rated on IMDb, nor is there a synopsis, so I don't have the slightest idea of what it's about. I can't even figure the joke, except if it has somethin to do with that I'm veg  ::)

For real?  It's generally considered the funniest movie ever made by a large segment of the population here (at least from my generation).  No veggie reference, it's about a fictional college fraternity.  It is not high-brow, but it is fall-out-of-your-chair funny.  It has the late John Belushi in it, among others.

PH

Nicky007

The thing about the Room is that there's not much continuity - take it or leave it. It's more a forum for spontaneous outbursts than an actual discussion forum. I'v often tried - and still do - to start more in-depth discussions, and I ask questions, but I'v learnt to live with the fact that most of my questions are left unanswered, and most of my topics run into the sand after a few posts.

I'l admit that my current participation is jerky - due to my difficult material situation - but each time I go into the Room, I make an effort to pick up on things that I have stakes in - I think you even gave me a nod for that, Greenie.

If we want the Room to be partly a real discussion forum, I think more roomies will have to give more of themselves and be more retentive.

That's just my attempt at an objective analysis. I'l stick around regardless.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

erik

Nicky.

Yep we do, here it is!

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-05-22, 08:44:05
The thing about the Room is that there's not much continuity - take it or leave it. It's more a forum for spontaneous outbursts than an actual discussion forum. I'v often tried - and still do - to start more in-depth-going discussions, and I ask questions, but I'v learnt to live with the fact that most of my questions are left unanswered, and most of my topics run into the sand after a few posts.

I'l admit that my current participation is jerky - due to my difficult material situation - but each time I go into the Room, I make an effort to pick up on things that I have stakes in - I think you even gave me a nod for that, Greenie.

If we want the Room to be partly a real discussion forum, I think more roomies will have to give more of themselves and be more retentive.

Nicky.

You have a point there Nicky and you really make an effort, kudos for that. I'm certainly on the "jerky" side, mainly because of other things that keep me busy and computer screen overdose. But I also think many serious threads often stray into nothing with a lot of off topic chatter, which can be entertaining, but mainly for those chatting and doesn't help to keep a thread on course and invite others to contribute. This observation has been discussed before.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: erik on Fri, 2009-05-22, 09:15:31
I also think many serious threads often stray into nothing with a lot of off topic chatter, which can be entertaining, but mainly for those chatting and doesn't help to keep a thread on course and invite others to contribute.

Spot on Erik!

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-05-22, 08:44:05
The thing about the Room is that there's not much continuity - take it or leave it. It's more a forum for spontaneous outbursts than an actual discussion forum. I'v often tried - and still do - to start more in-depth-going discussions, and I ask questions, but I'v learnt to live with the fact that most of my questions are left unanswered, and most of my topics run into the sand after a few posts.

I can see both sides of this.  I do like it when we can have in-depth discussions, but I'm also content just to bask in the camaraderie of my Roomie friends when we're just being silly and don't have much of great moment to say.  Generally, if I see a question I can contribute something to, I respond, but on some topics, I'm just not informed enough to have anything worthwhile to add.  Also, we do have some days when there are many many posts to catch up on, so not everyone is actually going to see every question asked.  Not all of my questions get answered either, but I assume that's just because people were otherwise occupied or had no useful answers, so I don't take it personally.  If it's something I'm burning to know, I'll ask again.

Manatee

I have to start drinking in 9 hours, so I need to get to sleep.  Have a good day, Europe.

maddox

PH

Well, Im going to sleep.
Bye bye. See you tmorrow!

maddox

PH

I'm going!
It's almost monday!

maddox

Teunis

Bye bye, zwaai zwaai . Have a nice sleep  ;).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

Well, I guess it's better for me to leave too.
See you all tomorrow!

maddox