News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2013-09-30, 12:12:37
NP Magenta - The Twenty Seven Club

It's on free linstening for one week on progstreaming.com.
Listening to it now as well.

Earlier: Sylvan - Presets
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

funkster

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2013-09-30, 12:12:37
NP Magenta - The Twenty Seven Club

It's on free linstening for one week on progstreaming.com. To those who haven't tried Magenta yet, do yourself a favor ;)  As a fan, I have already pre-ordered it, even if I was rather disappointed with their previous album.

An interesting concept for the album and having just heard The lizard king i am impressed with my first listen of Magenta

Teunis

jp: Knight Area - Between Two Steps (new EP, received it today)
np: Traumhaus - Das Geheimnis (German prog. I quite like it ;))
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

The Flower Kings - "Banks Of Eden"
I have the special 2 disc edition. I discovered that I just have to play the first disc to appreciate it.

Rick Wakeman - "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth"
This is of course the 2012 version, since I normally don't buy live albums. Actually, I didn't buy this one either. I won it in a contest! ;D A very playful album. Like it very much!

Squackett - "A Life Within A Day"
Yes meets Genesis. Perhaps not as good as everyone hoped it to be. But it's good enough for me. Not very prog, but good songs anyway!

Neal Morse - "Momentum"
This, of course, doesn't need an explanation. It's fantastic!

PH

Hello? Anyone here? Or am I all aloooooone!!!

Yes - "Yes"
Nice! Not bad at all. These guys were already top notch from the start. Much more jazzy.

Yes - "Time And A Word"
Adding symphonic elements. Mostly through the use of string orchestrations. Sometimes it sounds like an early James Bond soundtrack. :P

Yes - "The Yes Album"
Here the symphonic elements have become progressive elements. Thanks to Howe's guitar this album is put on another level.

Yes - "Fragile"
This is actually the first real progressive album by Yes. I love every bit of it. All previously mentioned elements are present here. It has jazz and a symphonic feel at times and progressive arrangements.
And they still managed to make it a bunch of catchy songs. To my ears at least.

Listening through my Yes albums. ;D

Next up: "Close To The Edge"

Draco chimera

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2013-10-03, 13:52:43
No you're not.
Listening to Linkin Park, Living Things. A bit disappointed so far. I feel like every song is 'standardized', as opposed to A Thousand Suns where they just did whatever they wanted.
Let your conscience decide !

PH

Hey Draco,
Apart from the standard (Neo) Progressive Rock/Progressive Metal, you also seem to enjoy Punk, Alternative Rock, Psychedelic Rock and Blues.
Yes I checked your listening profile. ;)

Based on these preferences I can recommend the following artists/bands:

The Jelly Jam. These guys are John Myung (Dream Theater), Ty Tabor (King's X) and Rod Morgenstein (Dixie Dregs). Their music can be catagorised as Alternative or Psychedelic Rock with perhaps a nod to Punk as well. I have their first selftitled album and although I don't play it very often, it's a very pleasant listen!

Kino. Actually, I hope you already know them, because it has John Mitchell in it and it's utterly fantastic. Unfortunately there's only one album: "Picture". If you want more of this, I guess It Bites is the next.

Maybe Pure Reason Revolution needs a mention too. Their debut album is really great! Their second and third albums are considered a radical change in direction. These are more electronic and alternative.

Another band you should really check out is Stiltskin! The album "She" is really good! It's Alternative Rock with Grunge. It rocks a lot. Ray Wilson (ex-Genesis) is the lead singer, and he has a perfect voice for this type of music. Check out his solo albums too. It's more mainstream poprock, but really good.

Roine Stolt's solo double album "Wall Street Voodoo" is filled with Blues songs. This guy knows how to play a guitar!

The Urbane. Once again, you probably know this band already, but if you don't, well, do yourself a favour and listen to their two albums. It's John Mitchell (again) playing Alternative Rock and Punk, or Power Pop if you like.

I'm riding my hobby horse here, but I try it anyway: Frank Klepacki is a video game composer. Well known for his work with Westwood Studios before it was swallowed by EA. His music for the Command & Conquer and Red Alert games are iconic. Check out his website where you can stream all of his video game music. Additionally, he has composed seven solo albums which should do well with the C&C fans. He draws influences from bands like AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Tool, Depeche Mode and Soundgarden (among others). You could describe his music as Industrial, Grunge, Electronic, Funk and Metal.

Now, I also read that you know Yes, particularly "Going For The One". Do you listen to it regularly? Have you ever listened to the other classic Yes albums? And the classic albums by Genesis and Pink Floyd?
I'm just curious, since you're even younger than me. It feels good not being alone. *horns* ;D

Nicky007

Paxi, the reason why I'm silent is that nobody - except you occasionally - is interested in the stuff that I listen to and write about currently, so why bother  :-X

You're getting closer to my edge with

Yes

You still haven't gotten into the two great later albums, The Ladder and Fly From Here - somethin to look forward to - but skip Open Your Eyes - subpar, to say it in a nice way - and Magnification - an experiment with drawing a symphony orchestra into the mix, la-la, not at all as good as Dream Theater's Score.

- Nicky
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2013-10-03, 17:00:19

You still haven't gotten into the two great later albums, The Ladder and Fly From Here - somethin to look forward to - but skip Open Your Eyes - subpar, to say it in a nice way - and Magnification - an experiment with drawing a symphony orchestra into the mix, la-la, not at all as good as Dream Theater's Score.

- Nicky

Ah but score is not as good as Symphonic Yes

Yes - "Yes"
Nice! Not bad at all. These guys were already top notch from the start. Much more jazzy.

Yes - "Time And A Word"
Adding symphonic elements. Mostly through the use of string orchestrations. Sometimes it sounds like an early James Bond soundtrack. :P

Yes - "The Yes Album"
Here the symphonic elements have become progressive elements. Thanks to Howe's guitar this album is put on another level.

Yes - "Fragile"
This is actually the first real progressive album by Yes. I love every bit of it. All previously mentioned elements are present here. It has jazz and a symphonic feel at times and progressive arrangements.
And they still managed to make it a bunch of catchy songs. To my ears at least.

Listening through my Yes albums. ;D

Next up: "Close To The Edge"

It seems you have become a convert in my absence.  :D

I have 'discovered' a few bands long after they started and it is a very different experience knowing there are loads of CD's to listen to rather than waiting for new music to be published.

I will need to look back in the thread to see how far you have got. I would give the liove CD's a go though as the music is significantly different. I find Yes' studios CD's to be quite quiet compared to the compression used on most music these days.

NP Genesis - 70-75 Disc 1 - Stagnation

PH

Paxi, the reason why I'm silent is that nobody - except you occasionally - is interested in the stuff that I listen to and write about currently, so why bother  :-X

Hmm... Why don't you try saying something about more mainstream prog, and then gradually change the subject to the more prog extremities you'd like to talk about? I think most people here (myself included) are mostly not feeling at home with the extreme prog metal. It's not that I condemn it. Of course prog is all about searching for the edges and all that. But to point it this way: I think most people here are more comfortable with bands that are on progarchives.com opposite to you being more comfortable on metalmusicarchives.com.

I occasionally like to get out of my comfort zone and then I'm listening to either extreme prog metal, or obscure Italian 70s prog bands, or even psychedelic post rock, or whatever. Just not all the time. Sometimes I just want to listen to music that's more known to me. For instance, I know that most music I listen to, are categorised as Neo Prog, so I'm more comfortable with new releases by Neo Prog bands, than by bands in genres I do not know about. I DO listen to the Youtube links you post and I was pleasantly surprised a few times! So please continue!

You're getting closer to my edge with [Yes]

For now, I'm really enjoying the albums that I already have. But eventually I'll most likely end up buying all their studio albums. I already have "Fly From Here". It's really very nice, but it doesn't grip me in a way that the classic Yes albums do. Still, I'm sure it's a grower. I'll give it a listen right away!
"The Ladder" is certainly on my 'check it out'-list. At the moment I think "Talk" will be my next Yes album to buy, because you like it so much and because it's the same lineup as "90125" (which I like so much). Also, I've listened to it a few times on YouTube and it is very catchy! 8)

Quote from: Iggy on Thu, 2013-10-03, 22:34:04
Ah but score is not as good as Symphonic Yes

It seems you have become a convert in my absence.  :D

I have 'discovered' a few bands long after they started and it is a very different experience knowing there are loads of CD's to listen to rather than waiting for new music to be published.

I will need to look back in the thread to see how far you have got. I would give the liove CD's a go though as the music is significantly different. I find Yes' studios CD's to be quite quiet compared to the compression used on most music these days.

I'm not really much into live albums. A few exceptions. ;) I have both "Keys To Ascension" albums (mostly because I wanted the 'new' studio tracks) and the dvd with it. I've seen the dvd and I liked it. That's to say: I like the registered concert, the songs and the performance. I could do without the New Age visuals which I found distracting (and destructing). I like to see the musicians play. But on a cd, it's only about hearing, and then I prefer the studio versions.

Bupie

NP Classic Rock Society - New Species

http://www.discogs.com/Various-CRS-Presents-New-Species/release/3288924

The first volume of a collection that has risen to ten by now (Teunis, correct me if I am wrong ;)). I have got some of them as free gifts when buying stuff on progrock.co.uk.

This one has two gems : Tempest Of Mutiny by Phideaux and What Kind Of World by Unitopia. The latter is just an outstanding song but it is only a bonus track on their Artificial album although it easily overcomes all the rest :o

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2013-10-03, 23:38:27
Hmm... Why don't you try saying something about more mainstream prog, and then gradually change the subject to the more prog extremities you'd like to talk about?

The reason, Paxi, is that I do not regard the music that I listen to as extreme; it's natural to me, it's my element.

You know, as Albert said, everything is relative. To most people, Arena and Neil Morse are extreme, cuz it's not your sweet Enya, or established Beatles, singing along.

My music taste has changed a lot since my early days in the Room. I was a big fan of Arena (well, naturally), and a reserved listener of Dream Theater. Opeth was terra incognita - dangerous and luring.

Now, that's some eight years ago, looong time ago, particularly for you. You were still an untarnished teenager at that time - try to think about it.

OK, I'm still a big fan of Arena and Clive's other projects - no doubt about that - and of DT and Opeth, but man, there's a lot more that's run in since then. I'v listened to about 2000 groups during the past 8 years, making me probably the most broadly seeking Roomie.

So, for me it's natural to listen to groups like Deathspell Omega and Immortal, they'r not extreme to me, they'r great music and great lyrics.

I'm not making any value judgment here. I'm simply registering that nobody was following me into these territories, and even with some prodding, people remained uninterested. So, that's it  :)

I DO listen to the Youtube links you post and I was pleasantly surprised a few times! So please continue!

Glad to hear, Paxi  :-*

OK, I'll keep that in mind. Even if there's only one person to share with, it's worthwhile  :)

"The Ladder" is certainly on my 'check it out'-list. At the moment I think "Talk" will be my next Yes album to buy, because you like it so much and because it's the same lineup as "90125" (which I like so much). Also, I've listened to it a few times on YouTube and it is very catchy! 8)

Altho I don't listen much to 90125  :-\

NP  Immortal:  Sons of Northern Darkness

I'll admit that when I first saw these guys on YouTube, they seemed really far out and anything but pantheon. Then at Copenhell this summer, several of my friends were all stoked and telling me "You have to see these guys live". Well, I did, and I was equally impressed. So now they'r pantheon with me  *horns*

But I'll wait with promulgating them ...  ;)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2013-10-04, 12:00:30
The reason, Paxi, is that I do not regard the music that I listen to as extreme; it's natural to me, it's my element.

You know, as Albert said, everything is relative. To most people, Arena and Neil Morse are extreme, cuz it's not your sweet Enya, or established Beatles, singing along.

My music taste has changed a lot since my early days in the Room. I was a big fan of Arena, and a reserved listener of Dream Theater. Opeth was terra incognita.

Now, that's some eight years ago, looong time ago, particularly for you. You were still an untarnished teenager at that time - try to think about it.

OK, I'm still a big fan of Arena and Clive's other projects - no doubt about that - and of DT and Opeth, but man, there's a lot more that's run in since then. I'v really listened to  about 2000 Groups. I'v probably been the most broadly seeking Roomie.

So, for me it's natural to listen to Groups like Deathspell Omega and Immortal, they'r not extreme to me, their great music and great lyrics.

I'm not making any value judgment here. I'm simply registering that nobody was following me into these territories, and even with some prodding, people here remained uninterested. So, that's it  :)

- Nicky

Not uninterested at all. I have a problem with youtube. Late at night I tend to use headphones and find the volume level needs to be changed regularly as some of the vids are sooo loud. I have been suffering from tinitus for several months now and Youtube really doesn't help it.

I am definitely in a prog mood at the moment though.

Nicky007

OK, Iggy, sounds great - long time no see - so what sorta prog be it ?

I think that you, of all Roomies (with Jonesey), should listen to Outworld I. It was elected "Album of the 00's" by someone here - forget who  :o

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcB3Jcb4Fpc&list=PLDA2915132740BA19

Requires some adaption tho. Initially a bit like swallowing a hand grenade ;)

NP  Outworld I

I simply looove that verse:

Why should we belong to a world that turns to steal our souls,
Only the free can ever be faithful.

Hey, that's me - meeeee  *horns*

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2013-10-04, 12:29:14
Your' right, Paxi I have to get into tat one. Particularly since Iggy is back  ;)

A convert of what  ???

- Nicky

A convert to Yes music.

I bought some Procol Harum, Camel, Antimatter, Moofdy Blues, Apocalyptica, Zenit, The Decemberists, Nosound, Pineapple Thief, Arena, Clive Nolan, Blackmore's Night Mahavishnu Orchestra and finished off my Porcupine Tree collection.

I also just played Warcry on YouTube.

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2013-10-04, 12:30:45
A convert to Yes music.

Blimey, Iggy, I thought it was another of Paxi's marathon posts. I simply couldnt imagine you writing such a long post  ::)

But you'r right: I do have to get into Symphonic Yes (even tho you didn't put it that way)  ;)

Hey, what's made you so talkative ? Have you fallen in love with wifey again ?  ;D

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

I also just played Warcry on YouTube.

Warcry is the best-known track, but not one of my faves. Try City Of The Dead or The Grey Tide instead  ;)

Moofdy Blues

I'm lookin forward to Milfdy Blues  ;D

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2013-10-04, 12:40:07
Warcry is the best-known track, but not one of my faves. Try City Of The Dead or The Grey Tide instead  ;)

- Nicky

Okay I was going to ask which was you favourite.

to your previous post.

;D

I am working from home today. Sad to say I have just been to tired to think in the evenings recently. It has been full on at work and I have spent several evenings working after I get home. A few of those projects have finished now so I feel I can breathe again.

How is life in the happiest country (apparently)?

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2013-10-04, 12:42:33
How is life in the happiest country (apparently)?

Yeah, right  ;)

Pretty good, you know. Danes are nice people, and things work well here, everyone wants that - except for some second-generation disenfranchised youths, who burn up our garbage containers and cars, but you know that from old Albion.

I'm back in the unemployed ranks, so that aint too great, but let's see ...

I never figured out what your work is about - hey Iggy, you never gave me a proper answer - so here's askin again  ;)

I bought some Procol Harum, Camel, Antimatter, Moofdy Blues, Apocalyptica, Zenit, The Decemberists, Nosound, Pineapple Thief, Arena, Clive Nolan, Blackmore's Night Mahavishnu Orchestra and finished off my Porcupine Tree collection.

Hey, sounds great  8)

also the Moofdy Blues  :D

What's Antimatter like - donno'm ?

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2013-10-04, 12:11:02
I have been suffering from tinitus for several months now

Hm, that doesn't sound good  :(

Here's wishing you improvement, Iggy  :)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2013-10-04, 12:54:34
Yeah, right  ;)

Pretty good, you know. Danes are nice people, and things work well here, everyone wants that - except for some second-generation disenfranchised youths, who burn up our garbage containers and cars, but you know that from old Albion.

I'm back in the unemployed ranks, so that aint too great, but let's see ...

I never figured out what your work is about - hey Iggy, you never gave me a proper answer - so here's askin again  ;)

Hey, sounds great  8)

also the Moofdy Blues  :D

What's Antimatter like - donno'm ?

Nicky

Uh oh I could be in trouble here.

Bupie (I think) plays antimatter which was formed by Duncan Patterson (ex anathema) and Nick Moss they are quite gloomy.  :D

I work in IT. My company is in the media sector.

NP Fish - A Feast of Consequences.

Here is a song for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gip-dhrKH1U

I think you will like the lyrics.

Draco chimera

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2013-10-03, 16:32:19
Hey Draco,
Apart from the standard (Neo) Progressive Rock/Progressive Metal, you also seem to enjoy Punk, Alternative Rock, Psychedelic Rock and Blues.
Yes I checked your listening profile. ;)

Based on these preferences I can recommend the following artists/bands:

The Jelly Jam. These guys are John Myung (Dream Theater), Ty Tabor (King's X) and Rod Morgenstein (Dixie Dregs). Their music can be catagorised as Alternative or Psychedelic Rock with perhaps a nod to Punk as well. I have their first selftitled album and although I don't play it very often, it's a very pleasant listen!

Kino. Actually, I hope you already know them, because it has John Mitchell in it and it's utterly fantastic. Unfortunately there's only one album: "Picture". If you want more of this, I guess It Bites is the next.

Maybe Pure Reason Revolution needs a mention too. Their debut album is really great! Their second and third albums are considered a radical change in direction. These are more electronic and alternative.

Another band you should really check out is Stiltskin! The album "She" is really good! It's Alternative Rock with Grunge. It rocks a lot. Ray Wilson (ex-Genesis) is the lead singer, and he has a perfect voice for this type of music. Check out his solo albums too. It's more mainstream poprock, but really good.

Roine Stolt's solo double album "Wall Street Voodoo" is filled with Blues songs. This guy knows how to play a guitar!

The Urbane. Once again, you probably know this band already, but if you don't, well, do yourself a favour and listen to their two albums. It's John Mitchell (again) playing Alternative Rock and Punk, or Power Pop if you like.

I'm riding my hobby horse here, but I try it anyway: Frank Klepacki is a video game composer. Well known for his work with Westwood Studios before it was swallowed by EA. His music for the Command & Conquer and Red Alert games are iconic. Check out his website where you can stream all of his video game music. Additionally, he has composed seven solo albums which should do well with the C&C fans. He draws influences from bands like AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Tool, Depeche Mode and Soundgarden (among others). You could describe his music as Industrial, Grunge, Electronic, Funk and Metal.

Now, I also read that you know Yes, particularly "Going For The One". Do you listen to it regularly? Have you ever listened to the other classic Yes albums? And the classic albums by Genesis and Pink Floyd?
I'm just curious, since you're even younger than me. It feels good not being alone. *horns* ;D
Now that is one lengthy suggestion list, thanks!  *horns* I'll keep you in touch as I progress through it ;)
As for Yes, I only listened to this album and it wasn't my cup of tea. But that was a long time ago, so maybe I should give it a spin some time soon. Genesis I mostly remember from my childhood, because my father would play Foxtrot in the car when we'd attend handball matches. I have Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and I liked it although I don't listen to it often. My father strongly suggested that I listen to The Wall. I hope I took it on my computer, because I'm living in Austria right now so I don't have all the music I normally would.

By the way I really need to update my listening profile, because my tastes have expanded a lot since  ;D

Nicky007

Cosmograf:  Bakelite Switch  ;) 8)

- Nicky
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Np Dream Theater - Dream Theater

It doesn't completely grab me as yet. As ever the playing and singiong is great but ...

Draco chimera

Listened to The Jelly Jam, but I didn't really get into it. I probably don't enjoy metal as much as I used to do.
I've just finished listening to Kino's Picture on youtube and really enjoyed it. I'm going to ask my father if we have it in our collection (which is probably the case). If not I think I will order it. It's a really good piece of work, easy to listen to but not simplistic in its design.

PH

Quote from: Draco chimera on Sat, 2013-10-05, 17:53:12
Listened to The Jelly Jam, but I didn't really get into it. I probably don't enjoy metal as much as I used to do.

Metal? Hmm... I won't really label them as metal. But as I said, it's not really an album I listen to on a daily basis. I know that it didn't really click with me right away. I'm not even sure if it ever really clicked at all. But I do like it when I put it on, and I bought it just for 4 euros or something.

Quote from: Draco chimera on Sat, 2013-10-05, 17:53:12
I've just finished listening to Kino's Picture on youtube and really enjoyed it. I'm going to ask my father if we have it in our collection (which is probably the case). If not I think I will order it. It's a really good piece of work, easy to listen to but not simplistic in its design.

Glad you like it. It's actually one of the first albums I bought. I was very sad when they decided to quit.