News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

The Moody Blues

Started by Herben, Mon, 2005-09-26, 23:15:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Herben

I still see The Moody Blues as one of the Pioneers of Symphonic Rock music, in fact the first 7 albums, after seventh sojourn they lost the direction sadly. What do other people think of this please reactions.
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

maddox

There only but two songs that spring to mind. One is Questions and the other is Nights in white satin. The rest is kind of a mystery to me. Especially Questions is great. I did actually choose Nights in white satin in my top ten list in Veronica's top-whatever (thought it was '1000', can't tell for sure) on the Dutch radio. Very nice song for romantic nights...
:-* ;)

MAD.  8)

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Peter

No albums in my collection....
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

keyboardistmatt

No Moody Blues here either, but "Nights In White Satin" is a great track!
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

bundy

I have Long Distance Voyager, A Question of Balance, Days of Future Passed, Every Good Boy Deserves a Favour and On the Threshold of a Dream.While each album has some fine tracks I also find each album to have it's fair share of fairly run of the mill stuff as well. A very decent band and I can see why they do have a lot of big fans, but I'm afrais they don't hold my interest to the same extent as bands such as Yes, King crimson and Gabriel era Genesis. From what I heard on Long Distance Voyager,they certainly didn't make the most of Patrick Moraz's talents.

Herben

Quote from: bundy on Tue, 2005-09-27, 15:32:03
I have Long Distance Voyager, A Question of Balance, Days of Future Passed, Every Good Boy Deserves a Favour and On the Threshold of a Dream.
My favourite is In search of the lost chord a lot of instruments are used there, but the songs are quite simple. Legend of a mind is a great track.
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Saryna

As you say, I agree that the Moody Blues were pioneers in sympho rock.  An amazing combination of individuals with some of the best  visionary songwriting.  They knew how to put it all together.  A definate 'production sound' that when you listen to it today is a real time capsule. It's not an Alan Parson's type production by any means but a certain 'vibe' that puts you in a whole other atmosphere.   Yes, after the 7th album, things got a bit shellacked(is that how you spell it?) The 80's didn't do them any good and the albums were sparse in gems.  But they always had that magic in concert.  I saw them last summer in an outdoors venue 4th row  center and it was a real treat to see them just as good as ever.  They have two female vocalists with them now, one plays flute and I believe violin and the other shares keyboard duties with (Iforget his name but he was with Justin Hayward alot especially on the Bluejays album).  They have another drummer as well as Graeme Edge. Mike Pinder is famous for his mellotron samples that you can buy.  He is no longer with them sadly.

My favorites from them would be Children's Children's Children, 7th Sojourn, Threshold of a dream, Question of Balance, and The Blue Jays.  Of course you can't beat "The War of the Worlds" featuring some good songs from Justin and also Phil Lynot.  There's a new remaster of it and I believe dvd?  Not sure.  don't quote me.;) But it's something cool that just came out.

Constable Hogweed

Great band for 7 albums IMO, went a bit too AOR for my liking afterwards. They lost a hell of a lot of that early sound when Mike Pinder Left.
Favourite albums
errrm the first 7  ;)

Wilford Jr.

I liked the Moody Blues when I was first getting into prog back in the mid 70s but I must admit that I don't listen to them much anymore.
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour