News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Something similar to Arena

Started by PH, Sat, 2005-09-24, 19:42:25

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Hello Arena fans,
I was wondering, are there any other bands that sound like Arena?
Arena really has its own sound, I've never heard anything like Arena.

There are many bands that sound like Genesis for example.
Neuschwanstein really sounds like an exact copy of Genesis.

But Arena is a different story. I REALLY NEED MORE ARENA-like MUSIC!!!

regards,
Paco

Peter

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2005-09-24, 19:42:25
Hello Arena fans,
I was wondering, are there any other bands that sound like Arena?

Nope.

Arena really has its own sound, I've never heard anything like Arena.

Yup.

There are many bands that sound like Genesis for example.
Neuschwanstein really sounds like an exact copy of Genesis.

uhuh...

QuoteBut Arena is a different story.

Yep.

QuoteI REALLY NEED MORE ARENA-like MUSIC!!!

Who doesn't....

:P
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

PH

:D

Let's hope for another Arena album then.

(We already did, ofcourse ;D)

Peter

Yes, a new album..... but hey, give the guys a break. First they need to complete their 10th Anniversary Tour, then recover for while and the let the new lyrics, which have undoubtedly been created during the tour, flow into ideas for new music.... :) And let me play prophet, this will not happen before winter 2006....

PH

I don't care how long it takes.
The longer the wait, the better it will be.
I hope they make something like Contagion again.
I prefer concept albums to conceptional albums  ;)
But Pepper's Ghost was still REALLY good.

Yes, whenever the next album will be, it will be worth the wait anyway ;D.

maddox

Have you ever considered Pallas? Not quite the same direction as Arena, but very worth to listen to...

MAD.  8)

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

The Voyager

Pepper's Ghost sounds like some of recent Threshold's songs. :D

Saryna

Quote from: Peter on Sat, 2005-09-24, 21:39:53
Yes, a new album..... but hey, give the guys a break. First they need to complete their 10th Anniversary Tour, then recover for while and the let the new lyrics, which have undoubtedly been created during the tour, flow into ideas for new music.... :) And let me play prophet, this will not happen before winter 2006....

Touche' Peter.  Plus They are all busy in the interrums preparing their own works. Clive with his many 'children'  ;), John and his Kino and others, and Rob with his Solar and Reading projects.  I keep forgetting what else Ian and Mick(Marillion) are also doing.  There's only so much time in the day, and one has to have some airholes to breathe........and ideas to gel.

I know how exciting it is to make a new musical discovery like Arena.  You want to follow all the trails back to any other projects a band member does because it just might give a hint of that same Arena sound.  Why don't you go backwards and explore all the previous Arena albums.  There's plenty there.

Pallas......saw them at Nearfest last year and they had a good time at the sing along after party that always happens. They are playing at Rosfest this year so it should be fun.  They are an excellent band, but I do not see them likened to  Arena.  Arena is in another ballpark.

PH

Quote from: maddox on Sun, 2005-09-25, 21:17:12
Have you ever considered Pallas? Not quite the same direction as Arena, but very worth to listen to...

Yeah, Pallas is great to. I listened to Pallas before I listened to Arena.
The Cross and The Crucible is very good IMO. But then I listened to some of Arena and it totally blow me.
Now when I listen to The Cross and The Crucible, which used to give me goosebumps, I'm not so excited anymore...
Arena changed my musical life.
I want more like it.

I've checked all Arena albums and I think the last three are the best (especially Contagion :o)
So something similar to Contagion would be best. ;)

Threshold was to heavy for me, I think.

Okay, the Nolan and Wakeman projects sound very Arena-like too.
But it's still a bit different...
Still very good though. ;D

Saryna

I think Cross & the Crucible is good too.  I hope it didn't sound like it wasn't.

By the way, I like your 'sig'.  Nice job!

gelert

Pendragon = light-weight Arena.
Threshold = heavy-weight Arena.
HIM = Pendragon + Threshold, but in a different recipe. (That's His Infernal Majesty, if you're not familiar)
Ayreon = Arena + guest musos & orchestra.
Grey Lady Down = better-than-all-of-the-above-with-bells-on.

Blame it on the boogie.  ???
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Appelmoes??

For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: gelert on Mon, 2005-09-26, 20:16:47
Grey Lady Down = better-than-all-of-the-above-with-bells-on.

What are Grey Lady Down like?  I've seen them in the GFT catalog, but never actually heard them! :)

~~UPDATE~~

Thanx for the PM, gelert! :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Wilford Jr.

As for Arena-like bands you might also try Shadowland which has Clive Nolan on vocals.  Very good stuff!!! :)  It is "lighter" than Arena but worth the listen.
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

jaguar

Pardon my arrogance, but if you don't blow your own trumpet, no one else will!!

Try www.alsoeden.com

We don't sound like the wonderful Arean, but it's clear we grew up listening to similar record collections!

Cheers
Huw (Also Eden)

gelert

Quote from: jaguar on Tue, 2005-09-27, 23:38:18
Pardon my arrogance, but if you don't blow your own trumpet, no one else will!!

Try www.alsoeden.com

We don't sound like the wonderful Arean, but it's clear we grew up listening to similar record collections!

Cheers
Huw (Also Eden)

As yes, I'd forgotten the wonderful cross-over sound of Arean - Arena-meets-Ayreon-in-a-pedantic-spelling-fest-type-stuff...  ;)
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

PH

Quote from: Saryna on Mon, 2005-09-26, 19:37:10
By the way, I like your 'sig'.  Nice job!

Thanks ;D I like making those.

Quote from: gelert on Mon, 2005-09-26, 20:16:47
Pendragon = light-weight Arena.

I know them, but I didn't find similarities to Arena, can you give me some examples?

Quote from: gelert on Mon, 2005-09-26, 20:16:47Threshold = heavy-weight Arena.

See my earlier post.

Quote from: gelert on Mon, 2005-09-26, 20:16:47HIM = Pendragon + Threshold, but in a different recipe. (That's His Infernal Majesty, if you're not familiar)

Sounds more like it, I will try that out.

Quote from: gelert on Mon, 2005-09-26, 20:16:47Ayreon = Arena + guest musos & orchestra.

Ayreon is cool. But I think it's still different from Arena... I can imagine that you came up with this. ;)

Quote from: gelert on Mon, 2005-09-26, 20:16:47Grey Lady Down = better-than-all-of-the-above-with-bells-on.

Ahhh... ok...

Quote from: Wilford Jr. on Mon, 2005-09-26, 22:15:17
As for Arena-like bands you might also try Shadowland which has Clive Nolan on vocals. Very good stuff!!! :) It is "lighter" than Arena but worth the listen.

Yup, they're indeed very good. But I've heard just a couple of songs.
I listened to it, but I didn't really listened it, if you know what I mean.

Quote from: gelert on Thu, 2005-09-29, 13:10:47
As yes, I'd forgotten the wonderful cross-over sound of Arean - Arena-meets-Ayreon-in-a-pedantic-spelling-fest-type-stuff...  ;)

Hehehehehe good one.

Also Eden... I came across your website once. I will check it out again.

Vanderwoude

I believe i can remember a single from HIM from a few years ago: 'Join Me' I can also remember the videoclip, and from the way his face looked like I can tell that the singer of HIM is dealing with a major personality problem.
''I'm a million times removed, from the socially closed world.''
I can imagine, that wouldn't be too nice.

PH

Quote from: Vanderwoude on Wed, 2005-10-05, 15:58:37
I believe i can remember a single from HIM from a few years ago: 'Join Me' I can also remember the videoclip, and from the way his face looked like I can tell that the singer of HIM is dealing with a major personality problem.

LOL, ROFL and ehhmmm what else did we've got? Oh yes: LMAO.

I've taken a look at www.progarchives.com, and can't find it on there.
But I'm already downloading getting a song.
I'll let you know.

gelert

Quote from: Vanderwoude on Wed, 2005-10-05, 15:58:37
...the singer of HIM is dealing with a major personality problem...
Read page 58 onwards, of October's issue of Classic Rock magazine, to find out about this "major personality problem"...

clue: slave-driven to work in his father's sex-shop, paid on a commission-basis only, selling battery-powered rubber sausages....

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: gelert on Wed, 2005-10-12, 19:31:16
Read page 58 onwards, of October's issue of Classic Rock magazine, to find out about this "major personality problem"...

clue: slave-driven to work in his father's sex-shop, paid on a commission-basis only, selling battery-powered rubber sausages....

I'm almost glad I didn't buy October's Classic Rock! 8)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Peter

Quote from: gelert on Wed, 2005-10-12, 19:31:16

pfffff, poor boy. let's go over and pad his head....

Peter

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2005-10-05, 19:35:25
But I'm already downloading getting a song.
I'll let you know.

If you're not already finished downloading getting a song, stop it, it's not worth the hard drive space, really...

gelert

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2005-10-12, 23:00:21
pfffff, poor boy. let's go over and pad his head....

*Ahem*   That would be pat his head

PH

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2005-10-12, 23:01:50
If you're not already finished downloading getting a song, stop it, it's not worth the hard drive space, really...

:P

I downloaded a whole album, but I deleted it already.
It wasn't really that bad, but it was absolutely not good.