News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Reading Thread

Started by Moonloop, Tue, 2005-04-26, 09:47:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Emilia

Quote from: Clive on Tue, 2005-08-16, 16:44:54
Actually, Earthsea has been a favourite of mine for years.
It has probably influenced more than one set of lyrics.... :)
Oh!!! great to know, LeGuin is a master of language for me.....the way she puts ideas into words is really awesome. Read almost everything she wrote.
Emilia
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

Emilia

Quote from: erik on Tue, 2005-08-16, 22:27:12
Came upon Ishiguro through the movie The Remains Of The Day, he wrote the book of the same title which won the Booker Prize. Isn't SF/fantasy-related, The Unconsoled could be called surrealistic though.
Oh I see...I actually saw the film, this is the one with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson right? The author of the novel skipped my memory somehow...
Emilia
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

keyboardistmatt

Roald Dahl
'James And The Giant Peach' ;D
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

erik

Quote from: Emilia on Wed, 2005-08-17, 15:26:16
Oh I see...I actually saw the film, this is the one with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson right? The author of the novel skipped my memory somehow...
Emilia
Yep, that's the one! It's one of my all-time favourite movies. Hopkins is brilliant in it.

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Wed, 2005-08-17, 18:10:45
Roald Dahl
'James And The Giant Peach' ;D
Roald Dahl is great!!
Went to the cinema to see Charlie And The Chocolate Factory last week, loved it, the great duo Burton/Depp do it again!
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Wilford Jr.

I was just reading the George Martin books like game of Thrones, etc but the books ended and the story didn't.  I've heard that he is trying to write some more books but I have no idea when to expect them.  If anyone knows let me know :)
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

Moonloop

Quote from: Wilford Jr. on Thu, 2005-08-18, 21:52:12
I was just reading the George Martin books like game of Thrones, etc but the books ended and the story didn't.  I've heard that he is trying to write some more books but I have no idea when to expect them.  If anyone knows let me know :)

It's complicated, but basically he's spent the last 5 years working on the 4th installment which is still incomplete. The publishers however want some product, so, he's split the book into 2 volumes, the first of which should be out in October. The unique thing is though, that the book will only contain half the characters, the follow up book (whenever that's going to be ready  ::) ) will deal with the remaining ones.

;D
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Peter

Quote from: Moonloop on Fri, 2005-08-19, 13:26:22
It's complicated, but basically he's spent the last 5 years working on the 4th installment which is still incomplete. The publishers however want some product, so, he's split the book into 2 volumes, the first of which should be out in October. The unique thing is though, that the book will only contain half the characters, the follow up book (whenever that's going to be ready  ::) ) will deal with the remaining ones.

;D

The longer it's in the past that I've read the existing books in this series, the more I seem to dislike it. Maybe I've said it before, but there's not even a glimpse of some sort of destination in sight. Where does this story lead to? The last book even made me angry at some stages, because so many people that I had developed rather positive feelings for, died. I mean I could have beared to lose the first or the second in the row, but not, well like 10 or so.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Moonloop

Quote from: Peter on Fri, 2005-08-19, 13:34:25
The longer it's in the past that I've read the existing books in this series, the more I seem to dislike it. Maybe I've said it before, but there's not even a glimpse of some sort of destination in sight. Where does this story lead to? The last book even made me angry at some stages, because so many people that I had developed rather positive feelings for, died. I mean I could have beared to lose the first or the second in the row, but not, well like 10 or so.

Yes, he does have a habit of killing the main characters off  ;D , some I've quite enjoyed actually, but others not so  >:(

If I remember correctly, he's mapped out 7 books in the series, the 'new' one being the 4th (discounting split volumes). Don't mind waiting, as long as he stays alive to actually write them  ;)  :D

oddball

Gormenghast? I already found the second one very disappointing and boring. I've never managed to get to the third one.
There's really nothing to achieve

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Peter on Fri, 2005-08-19, 13:34:25
The last book even made me angry at some stages, because so many people that I had developed rather positive feelings for, died. I mean I could have beared to lose the first or the second in the row, but not, well like 10 or so.
I had that too when reading Feist's Serpentwar Saga where a lot of "big" characters die like Jimmy the Hand.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Wilford Jr.

I agree with Peter. He spends three books developing characters only to kill them off.  Makes one sort of wonder who will be the main characters by the time the sixth or seventh books come out!   ;)
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

Moonloop

Garth Nix - Grim Tuesday  8)

Xanxtuary

Still on the Julia Gray Guardian Cycle ... now nearly finished the fourth book "The Red Glacier" ... only one more to go in the series.  I have really enjoyed them.  Excellent, gripping fantasy writing.

Hoggie's sister in law has just given me a load of books that she's finished with so no doubt I will be dipping into them fairly shortly.
Progpriestess Xanxtuary Hogweed

keyboardistmatt

Asterix and The Roman Agent

...a bloody good read! :)

Deenfan

I'm still on "Traveling music" by Neil Peart. I borrowed the book from the bass player, but now it's mine. Why? 'Cause I like it so well?? No. Well, I do, but that's not it. -"It" being my son, my cup of coffee, and the book...

Now you know

>:(

Appelmoes??

Well, yesterday I finnished the first Wheel of Time book and I liked it. The more I came to the end of it I started to like it. Of tot the Second book :)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

The Pope

Mort by Terry Pratchett...what a damn fine read.

Now how do I become Deaths apprentice?
I need a biscuit !

Xanxtuary

Just started the last in the Guardian Cycle ... Alyssa's Ring.

But I think my time might be more wisely spent reading up on conspiracy theories about The Pope ...

Moonloop

Quote from: The Pope on Wed, 2005-08-31, 21:20:06
Mort by Terry Pratchett...what a damn fine read.

Agreed. Certainly one of his best  ;D

Teunis

Now reading: the booklet of my new Home Cinema Set. Oh, what a sound. Arena even sounds better than with my old one. Wouldn't have thought it was possible  ;D.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Wilford Jr.

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2005-08-24, 20:59:37
Well, yesterday I finnished the first Wheel of Time book and I liked it. The more I came to the end of it I started to like it. Of tot the Second book :)

I felt the same way about The Wheel of Time Book but the more I read the sequels the more tedious they became.  I'd be interested in hearing if you experience the same results.
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour

erik

Quote from: Moonloop on Thu, 2005-09-01, 09:42:20
Agreed. Certainly one of his best  ;D
Reread Reaper Man recently, all the Discworld novels in which Death figures prominently are great!
Love the series.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

keyboardistmatt

Terry Pratchett - 'The Hogfather'

Xanxtuary

Quote from: keyboardistmatt on Sun, 2005-09-04, 13:58:24
Terry Pratchett - 'The Hogfather'

LOL! Sounds like a cross between Hogweed and a mafia movie!  Not actually read any Pratchett, though I know I ought to.  I'm sure he would interest me.

erik

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sun, 2005-09-04, 18:08:42
LOL! Sounds like a cross between Hogweed and a mafia movie!  Not actually read any Pratchett, though I know I ought to.  I'm sure he would interest me.
It's actually the Discworld version of Santa Claus... Death takes his place when the Hogfather has been kidnapped and... read the book! The whole series is highly recommended. And very unsuitable for reading in public places because you're constantly provoked to laugh out loud, which makes the people around you raise their eyebrows, unless they know Terry Prathett and understand  ::)
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..