News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Steven Wilson beats Mikael Åkerfeldt VERY hard!

Started by PH, Tue, 2008-12-09, 10:29:44

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

... in a Prog Quiz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2InJpqo_bw

Just look at Mikael's face when Steve answers all the questions!! :D Soooo funny!

The Butterfly Man

Yeah, I saw that one a while ago. Quite funny indeed. :)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

Steve is so fast. And I didn't even know half of the answers.
He must really love ProgRock! ;D

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-12-09, 15:02:26
He must really love ProgRock! ;D

Strange that he doesn't like it when his music is referred to as prog...

Tom

Nicky007

Impressive !  And two real cool guys !

Paxi, you must know a lot more than me, cause I could have answered only 2 of the questions:  Mick Pointer, and Montreux  ;)

Guess b*s don't help here  ;D

Otoh I noticed that they had written "Phill" Collins  ::)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-12-09, 16:18:11
Otoh I noticed that they had written "Phill" Collins - bloody krauts  :D

Indeed... I guess it's because of all the fills he plays on his drum kit.
Or Roadrunner Records took the wrong pills.

Nicky007

;D Paxi.

... or paid the wrong bills (and Microsoft played a trick on'm)  :D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2008-12-09, 15:16:02
Strange that he doesn't like it when his music is referred to as prog...

Well, it sure as hell is prog, but Steve Wilson is a very gentle and modest fella (not like our Jonesey  ;D ), which just makes him all the nicer  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-12-09, 16:38:13
Well, it sure as hell is prog, but Steve Wilson is a very gentle and modest fella (not like our Jonesey  ;D ), which just makes him all the nicer  :)

I know it's prog. You know it's prog. But still, Steven (added an 'n' ;)) Wilson refuses to believe us! >:( :D

Not that I care though. Great music is great music, regardless of it's tag.

Tom

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-12-09, 16:38:13

Uhhmm... Steven Wilson says his music isn't prog, not because he's so modest about it, but he hates the term. He thinks Porcupine Tree is more than Prog, a new genre in fact. Which makes him slightly arrogant, in fact.
From what I know, Steven Wilson the person, is quite difficult to handle. But Steven Wilson the musician, is an outstanding genius.

Nicky007

He's a genius alright, but arrogant  ??? ::)

And PT not prog ?

Where do you guys have this from ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Iggy

Hmmm arrogance I guess you could see him as arrogant but you have to admit the man is a bit of a genius.

Not only PT but Blackfield, No Man etc.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-12-09, 22:25:55
From Wilson himself, sir.

OK, Paxi, but (obviously) when I ask in this manner, I'm requesting links, or at least references, to trustworthy sources.

Dont take it personally, I dont doubt what you'v said, I just want to have it verbatim  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

In almost any of the interviews he's in, he rambles about why Porcupine Tree shouldn't be called Prog, and that Progressive Rock is old and not inventive.
I have to say I agree with most of that, just not with Porcupine Tree not being Prog. ;)

Now on about his 'arrogance'. I'm not sure it's the right word. He's just so self-assured, and thinks he has the right to go very personal about things like saying [insert a bandname here] is crap, or [insert singer name] is stupid.
Not in a Jem Godfrey style (which I really like) but in a very serious way. Which makes him a bit of a scary person in my opinion.

But I really love him for being (one of) the best musician(s) ever. I LOVE everything this man puts out.

Nicky007

When I read this, I start wondering how much SW is into prog metal. Being connected to Roadrunner, one would expect him to be familiar with Dream Theater and realise how much DT has renewed rock album by album. And then there are all the other topleague progmetal groups that have conjured up so much magic.

In my mind, prog is more fertile today than ever before. Prog groups are more eager to be special, and are more daring.

Considering how much SW has helped Opeth, one would think that he's into prog metal too.

But all this is my speculation, as I havent read any interviews with or articles about SW recently.

What do you guys think ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

He has toured with Dream Theater.
Steven Wilson likes all kinds of metal. Meshuggah for example. And there's more. Don't know all of it now.
So, yes, what should I think, Niksy?

Nicky007

If he likes Meshuggah, then he's probably been out in all extremes. Even for my rather crazy mind, Meshuggah are too esoteric  ;D

I'd still be interested in getting links to some interesting interviews and articles about SW's thoughts bout prog. If you guys don't help out, I'l have to do some searching myself on the net  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

bellanova

To change the subject slightly is anyone going to see PT in 2009? I booked to see them in October at Hammersmith Apollo and i understand its nearly sold out Tickets only went on sale last friday and im hoping theres a new album on its way. I dont cate if Steven wilson is arrogant. I let his music speak for him and it works everytime.
Also off to see Frost and It Bites next week at the Peel. Anyone else?

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: bellanova on Thu, 2008-12-11, 11:54:00
...im hoping theres a new album on its way.

Apparently Steven Wilson mentioned at a recent gig that they are already underway writing new material and that they will return next year with a new album. :)

Tom

PH

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2008-12-11, 12:08:29
Apparently Steven Wilson mentioned at a recent gig that they are already underway writing new material and that they will return next year with a new album. :)

That's grrrreat news! :)

About Frost*, I'm planning to see them in April. And maybe It Bites too.

-Paco

PH

Just stumbled across the very same YouTube video again. And again I was LOLing and ROFLing and LMAOing.
Dunno why, but I felt the urge to *bump* this thread.