News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Igg Music

Started by Iggy, Sun, 2008-04-20, 14:02:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Iggy

This could take a while. These are the artists who I listen to more often than the rest of my collection.

Bands

10 CC

Abydos
AC/DC
A.C.T.
Alan Parsons
ABWH
Anathema *
Angra *
Arena
Asia
Avantasia
Ayreon/Star One/Stream of Passion

Beardfish
Beatles
Black Sabbath
Blackfield
Blind Ego
Blind Faith
Bob Catley
Bob Dylan
Bonzo Dog Band    ;D
Bruce Springsteen

Caamora
Camel
Caravan *
Circus Maximus
Circa
Cold Chisel
Coldplay
Crowded House

Darwin's Radio
David Bowie
Deep Purple
Dire Straits
The Doors
Dragonforce  
Dream Theater

Eagles
Edenbridge
ELO
ELP
Elton John
Elvis Costello
Enigma
Eric Clapton
Eurythmics

Fairport Convention
Feeder
Fleetwood Mac
The Flower Kings
Frank Zappa
Frost

Galahad
Gazpacho
Genesis
Gerry and the Pacemakers  
Glass Hammer
GTR

Helloween

Ian Gillan
IQ
It Bites**

Jethro Tull

Kaipa
Kamelot
Knight Area

Led Zeppelin
Lightning Seeds
Live
Lou Reed
Lunatic Soul

Magenta
Manic Street Preachers
Marillion
Mike Oldfield
Monty Python
Mostly Autumn
Mott the Hoople
Muse

Neal Morse
Neil Young
Nektar
No Man
NoSound

Oasis
Opeth

Pallas
Pat Travers
Paul Weller
Pendragon
Peter Gabriel
Phideaux
Pineapple Thief
Pink Floyd
Porcupine Tree
Pure Reason Revolution *

Queen
Queensryche
Quidam

R.E.M.
Richard Thompson
Rick Wakeman
Ritual
Riverside
Robert Plant
Roger Waters
RPWL

Sad Cafe
Saga**
Savatage
Seventh Wionder**
Shadow Gallery
Shadowland**
Sieges Even *
Sparks
Spock's Beard
Steve Hackett
Steven Wilson**
Sylvan
Symphony X

Tarja
Ten
The Reasoning
The Strawbs
Therion
They might be Giants
Tickled Pink
Transatlantic

U2
UK

Van Morrison
Vanden Plas
Vangelis

Warren Zevon
Wishbone Ash
Within Temptation
Who

The Yardbirds

And last but by no means least my all time favorite

YES

PH

Iggy

Iggy

I can add

Caamora
Kamelot (not sure about them yet)
Satellite
and soon Ten (as they are order)

Nicky007

:) Iggy. Looks like my life hasnt been in vain.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-06-29, 15:14:21
:) Iggy. Looks like my life hasnt been in vain.

Nicky.

Hope i like them after all this.

Still it is always worth a punt.

I ordered Fish 13th Star today because every cd I was looking at on amazon was linked to it.

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Mon, 2008-06-30, 00:35:35
Hope i like them after all this.

Gotit, Iggy  ;D

Guess that's my style - and I sure don't wanna let good music goto waste, particularly when there's so much junk music filling the ether  ;)

It's our holy duty in places like the Room to keep each other connected to the good stuff  8) :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-06-30, 07:52:16
Gotit, Iggy  ;D

Guess that's my style - and I sure don't wanna let good music goto waste, particularly when there's so much junk music filling the ether  ;)

It's our holy duty in places like the Room to keep each other connected to the good stuff  8) :)

Nicky.

I didn't really mean anything by that quote.  ;D

I really enjoy getting into new music by word of mouth and you guys have given me lots of new music to listen to.

YAY

doh wrong tropic

Nicky007

Iggy, I'm familiar with all the Yes studio albums, except the first and Drama, and almost all of Jon's stuff (some of the best was together with Vangelis). However, I'm almost totally ignorant of all the other Yes side projects. Yes being your fave group, you're probably well-versed in all the side stuff too. I'd appreciate a lot if you could list some of the best albums in this respect and tell us why you think they're good.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-07-04, 19:16:39
Iggy, I'm familiar with all the Yes studio albums, except the first and Drama, and almost all of Jon's stuff (some of the best was together with Vangelis). However, I'm almost totally ignorant of all the other Yes side projects. Yes being your fave group, you're probably well-versed in all the side stuff too. I'd appreciate a lot if you could list some of the best albums in this respect and tell us why you think they're good.

Nicky.

ABWH was a good album.

Most of the side projects are less good imo.

Obviously Steve Howe did Asia and I quite liked the first 2 albums he was on.

i don't have any Bill Bruford.

I like many of Steve Howe's solo albums but you can guess what you are going to get acoustic, Jazzy stuff. Light walls is a nice collection of songs but not really proggy.

Chris Squires Conspiracy is Ok as is Fish out of water.

Not sure if Rick Wakeman has done any solo stuff   ;D

I think they needed to work together to bring out the best in them all the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I have a few Trevor Rabin Albums and 90124 is an interesting take on 90125. I saw him supporting someone in the early 80's (maybe Steve Hillage) and he was brilliant.

It is an interesting question though and one I hadn't really thought about I just collected stuff as and when I felt like it moire out of habit.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2008-07-04, 23:46:15
I have a few Trevor Rabin Albums and 90124 is an interesting take on 90125. I saw him supporting someone in the early 80's (maybe Steve Hillage) and he was brilliant.
Yup, he supported Hillage.  I saw him at (consults concert trainspotting book) Brum Odeon 14/11/79.  I'd never even heard of Rabin before and he utterly blew me away - front row seat as well.  8)

I like his pre-Yes solo stuff, a kind of heavy pop.
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-07-05, 00:15:11
Yup, he supported Hillage.  I saw him at (consults concert trainspotting book) Brum Odeon 14/11/79.  I'd never even heard of Rabin before and he utterly blew me away - front row seat as well.  8)

I like his pre-Yes solo stuff, a kind of heavy pop.

Cool I was at the Liverpool Empire. He  actually blew Steve Hillage away as well I think.

Have you got any of his Cd's

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2008-07-05, 00:56:47
Cool I was at the Liverpool Empire. He  actually blew Steve Hillage away as well I think.

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far! (Comforts his knitted Hillage Hat, currently quivering in distress)  ;)

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2008-07-05, 00:56:47
Have you got any of his Cd's

Yes indeedy:

• Face to Face
  • Wolf
  • Can't Look Away

I also have 'Trevor Rabin' on vinyl.  Of them all I prefer 'Trevor Rabin' and 'Face to Face'  *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

i don't have any Bill Bruford.

I only have one on CD (Masterstrokes) as everything else is vinyl - must do something about that one day! I'm rather partial to Bruford's stuff as I'm a bit keen on Jazz-Rock.  One killer track that springs to mind is 'Joe Frazier' which is on 'Gradually Going Tornado' and also the 'Masterstrokes' compilation.  Pretty much a vehicle for Jeff Berlin's awesome bass-playing - love it  8)
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

I like many of Steve Howe's solo albums but you can guess what you are going to get acoustic, Jazzy stuff. Light walls is a nice collection of songs but not really proggy.

Of all the Yes offshoots, Howe's solo stuff is easily my favourite.  OK, there are a couple of blander offerings in amongst the batch, but there's a lot of stuff to die for, too.  If I had to pick a desert island disk I'd probably go for 'Not Necessarily Acoustic' which is a phenomenal performance.  'Steve Howe' and 'Beginnings' are also pretty close to the top of the pile...
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-07-05, 09:46:27
Of all the Yes offshoots, Howe's solo stuff is easily my favourite.  OK, there are a couple of blander offerings in amongst the batch, but there's a lot of stuff to die for, too.  If I had to pick a desert island disk I'd probably go for 'Not Necessarily Acoustic' which is a phenomenal performance.  'Steve Howe' and 'Beginnings' are also pretty close to the top of the pile...

I would agree with not necessairily acoustic but then it is a live album  :P

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-07-05, 09:25:27
Well, I wouldn't go quite that far! (Comforts his knitted Hillage Hat, currently quivering in distress)  ;)

Yes indeedy:

• Face to Face
  • Wolf
  • Can't Look Away

I also have 'Trevor Rabin' on vinyl.  Of them all I prefer 'Trevor Rabin' and 'Face to Face'  *horns*

I used to have wolf but can't seem to locate it.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2008-07-05, 10:15:59
I used to have wolf but can't seem to locate it.

Have you tried whistling?  ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Steve Jones

Woof!

On the subject of Yes-related material, there's always the 'Friends & Relatives' double CD set.  I personally don't rate it that much, but it's probably a good sampler for anyone wanting to get a feel for the activities of various members outside of the band.
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-07-05, 12:49:17
Woof!

On the subject of Yes-related material, there's always the 'Friends & Relatives' double CD set.  I personally don't rate it that much, but it's probably a good sampler for anyone wanting to get a feel for the activities of various members outside of the band.

tep there are some good tracks on there.

I was always impressed that Steve did a rendition of Tales on his own.

Iggy

New Bands updated in the list with a *

Nicky007

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2008-04-20, 14:02:54
This could take a while. These are the artists who I listen to more often than the rest of my collection.
Caamora*

The  *  meaning ?

It's strange, Helloween never really gripped me, seems like lederhosenmusik thrashed up, or what ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2008-07-10, 23:23:06
The  *  meaning ?

See the post prior to yours for an explanation of this man's extreme cunning  ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2008-07-10, 23:23:06
The  *  meaning ?

It's strange, Helloween never really gripped me, seems like lederhosenmusik thrashed up, or what ?

Nicky.

No I am not a big fan of Helloween but having listened to Avantasia one of my mates suggested Keeper of the seven keys. So I gave it a bash and quite enjoy it.