News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Now Playing Thread

Started by Peter, Fri, 2005-01-14, 14:53:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Teunis

Today, music while @ work:
IQ - Frequency
Arena - Immortal?
Pendragon - The Window Of Life
Subsignal - Paraíso

np: A.C.T. - Silence

Wanted to play 'Circus Pandemonium', but it's the only album that's not on Spotify for some reason? ::) Well, this one is okay too. Happy music, I sometimes recognise an 'ELO' feel when the background vocals come in. Really like that. At first listenin I like it even more than 'Last Epic' after one spin. Maybe because it's 'more accessible' as you say. But I'll play the albums more often. Hey it's prog :).
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Thu, 2021-01-07, 18:47:40
Today, music while @ work:
np: A.C.T. - Silence

Wanted to play 'Circus Pandemonium', but it's the only album that's not on Spotify for some reason? ::) Well, this one is okay too. Happy music, I sometimes recognise an 'ELO' feel when the background vocals come in. Really like that. At first listenin I like it even more than 'Last Epic' after one spin. Maybe because it's 'more accessible' as you say. But I'll play the albums more often. Hey it's prog :).

You're definitely right about ELO. There's ELO, Queen, Dream Theater and ABBA. But I've also seen people mentioning Saga, Supertramp, Styx, 10cc and from what I've heard of these bands (not much) they're not wrong.

About "Circus Pandemonium" being not on Spotify, that used to be the case indeed. But I was pleasantly surprised to see it on Spotify couple days back. I checked just now, and it's there.
This should be the link to the album.

Yesterday I listened to:
Ambeon - "Fate Of A Dreamer"
Again, not my favourite, but I really wanted to try it again. Didn't change my opinion. It's funny, I bought it because it was kinda cheap and it was the Expanded Edition, but also (of course) because it's an Arjen project. If it wasn't Arjen Lucassen, I probably would never have bought it.

Anathema - "Judgement"
Wow, so yeah, never realised it, but this is pretty good stuff! I played it twice yesterday and once again today. They were no doom metal band here anymore, but definitely not whatever they are now.

Now listening to:
Anathema - "A Fine Day To Exit"
This is also very nice. I think I must have listened more to this than to "Judgement" because I remember bits and pieces of some of the songs. This album has a Radiohead kinda feel to it. Again, thumbs up!

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2021-01-07, 20:31:59

Anathema - "Judgement"
Wow, so yeah, never realised it, but this is pretty good stuff! I played it twice yesterday and once again today. They were no doom metal band here anymore, but definitely not whatever they are now.

Off this album my favourite is Anyone, Anywhere

I also love Weather Systems. It is such a shame that they are not around anymore.

JP Yes - Big Generator

PH

Quote from: Iggy on Thu, 2021-01-07, 21:20:51
Off this album my favourite is Anyone, Anywhere

I don't have any favourites yet. To me it sounds like one big thing. Every track seamlessly goes over to the next one. The first three or four tracks are very exciting to me! The rest of the album is not too shabby either. I made a mental note for Anyone, Anywhere. I'll make sure to take extra notice next time I listen to the album.

I also love Weather Systems.

Yes, I think "Weather Systems" is my favourite. My first encounter was the compilation/rearrangement album "Falling Deeper" which I still like. I found it very mysterious music. "We're Here Because We're Here" is also great. The last two albums are a step back I think.

And now I'm listening to:
Anathema - "A Natural Disaster"
Which I know quite well. I really like this album as well. The quartet Closer-Are You There?-Childhood Dreams-Pulled Under At 2000 Metres A Second is fantastic! But actually the whole album has no fillers. Now that I think of it, perhaps this one is in my top 3 Anathema albums.

It is such a shame that they are not around anymore.

Indeed. I hope they/some of them will reform and continue. Whether or not under a different name.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2021-01-07, 20:31:59
About "Circus Pandemonium" being not on Spotify, that used to be the case indeed. But I was pleasantly surprised to see it on Spotify couple days back. I checked just now, and it's there.
This should be the link to the album.
Yep, this link is working. Strange that I couldn't find it, watched the entiry discography ???. Will listen to it tomorrow, now playing:

Katatonia - City Burials

I really like the music of this band. But a whole album is boring as far as I'm concerned. Too little versitality, are tracks are sounding the same or is it just me? ::)

About Anathema
Such a shame that thay called it a day (for the time being). My favourite album is 'Weather Systems', followed bij 'We're Here Because We're Here', but 'A Fine Day To Exit' and 'Judgement' are great too. Today I've been playing 'The Optimist'. Hadn't played it for a long time because I was slightly disappointed, but today I found it better than expected. Sometimes it works to let is rest for a while ...  ;).

Today, while @ work:
Airbag - A Day At The Beach
Toto - Turn Back
Arena - Breakfast In Biarritz
Anathema - The Optimist

Teunis

pp:
The Pineapple Thief - Versions Of The Truth (Favourite 2020 release, top-10 to follow soon ... ;))
Gazpacho - Fireworker (Was not too enthusiastic about it in the beginning, but several listenings further I really appreciate this album 8))

np: A.C.T. - Circus Pandemonium

From the three I've heard so far this is the least interesting. So now and then a bit too 'theatrical' for my taste, but that may be because of the concept 'circus'. But like the other albums, will certainly get more airplay. Certainly a great band!

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2021-01-08, 19:26:34
Katatonia - City Burials
I really like the music of this band. But a whole album is boring as far as I'm concerned. Too little versitality, are tracks are sounding the same or is it just me? ::)

I am not a frequent listener of Katatonia. That being said, I tried this album around the time it came out. It was not bad. Some parts even got stuck in my head afterwards. But indeed, a whole album was a bit too much for me. I will certainly try again.

Quote from: Teunis on Fri, 2021-01-08, 19:26:34
Today I've been playing 'The Optimist'. Hadn't played it for a long time because I was slightly disappointed, but today I found it better than expected. Sometimes it works to let is rest for a while ... ;).

That's right. After a while the 'first impression' makes place for deeper appreciation (in this case) or disappointment (in my case with Ambeon).

The day before yesterday I played:
Anathema - "A Natural Disaster"
Anathema - "Hindsight"
Anathema - "Falling Deeper"

Enough said about the first. Now about the other two:
These reimagined acoustic and orchestral(?) versions are really nice. I broke a pattern by playing "Falling Deeper" instead of "We're Here Because We're Here". Of course "Falling Deeper" comes afterward in their discography (and in my CD Collection cabinet), but I really really wanted to listen to it, so I did. That's the kind of person I am. :P

Yesterday:
Anathema - "We're Here Because We're Here"
Anathema - "Universal" (live album)

"WHBWH" really marked a change in their discography. I really like it.
"Universal" is a nice live album.

Yesterday I also played (not in my CD collection but coincidentally also starting with 'A'):
Agnes Obel - "Myopia"
Abel Ganz - "The Life Of The Honey Bee And Other Moments Of Clarity"

The album by Agnes Obel is a very mysterious sounding album. Lots of moody keys and tasty piano. I have to say I like it very much. My girlfriend also liked it and apparently some of her music was featured in multiple TV series. Cool.

The Abel Ganz album is very pretty. I think many would like it. It was not on Spotify before, but it is now. Alan Reed (ex-Pallas) was once a member of this band, but not anymore. This singer is pretty decent too.

Today:
Anathema - "Falling Deeper"
Sunset Of Age is a very cool song. I also really like Everwake and J'ai Fait Une Promesse, but actually the whole album is nice.

Ok, time for something new:
Glass Kites - "Glass Kites II"
The first 2021 album I listen to and it's a 30 minutes well spent. It makes me think of Perfect Beings, because of the vocals. I'm putting it on my list for 2021 to relisten.

Thomas Bergersen - "Humanity - Chapter I"
Thomas Bergersen - "Humanity - Chapter II"

Wow! Guys, check it out. Really nice movie soundtrack-ish music. Talk about epic...
My girlfriend pointed this guy out to me a year ago or so. And a few days ago I saw him mentioned in an end of year list on TheProgMind.com. I decided to give it a go and am not disappointed!

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2021-01-10, 20:48:49
The Abel Ganz album is very pretty. I think many would like it. It was not on Spotify before, but it is now. Alan Reed (ex-Pallas) was once a member of this band, but not anymore. This singer is pretty decent too.
I'm a fan of Alan Reed's voice 8). Will try this album though.

Quote from: PH
Thomas Bergersen - "Humanity - Chapter I"
Thomas Bergersen - "Humanity - Chapter II"

Wow! Guys, check it out. Really nice movie soundtrack-ish music. Talk about epic...
Will give it a try ...  and have to check more A.C.T. albums. Wow I'm busier than @ work ;).

But it will have to wait. On Sundays I'm listening to Dollhouse Rock Radio and on Mondays to Prog Non Stop.

Teunis

Today:
Arena - Contagion Max *horns*
Neal Morse - Sola Gratia
Asia - Arena
Shadowland - Through The Looking Glass

Now listening to Prog Non Stop #519 with e.g. Arena - Purgatory Road :).

Teunis

Today:
Subsignal - The Beacons Of Somewhere Sometime
Knight Area - D-Day
Frost* - Falling Satellites
Lonely Robot - Feelings Are Good

np: Abel Ganz - The Life of the Honey Bee and Other Moments of Clarity

Relaxing music, really like it. You have to be in the mood for it, but I will play it again.

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Sun, 2021-01-10, 21:30:01
Will give it a try ...  and have to check more A.C.T. albums. Wow I'm busier than @ work ;).

Haha, I know the feeling!

Quote from: Teunis on Sun, 2021-01-10, 21:30:01
On Sundays I'm listening to Dollhouse Rock Radio and on Mondays to Prog Non Stop.

I've set an reminder in my calender for Dollhouse Rock Radio on Sunday. Let's see what it's all about.
Can't find where I can listen live to Prog Non Stop. I can see the playlists that you can relisten, but not live.

Quote from: Teunis on Tue, 2021-01-12, 19:00:19
np: Abel Ganz - The Life of the Honey Bee and Other Moments of Clarity

Relaxing music, really like it. You have to be in the mood for it, but I will play it again.

You're right about the mood. It's on the 'slow' spectrum of Prog. Something to listen to when your wife/girlfriend is around. :P

Last couple of days have been dominated by Anathema. I see that I failed to mention "Weather Systems", but I listened to that one between "WHBWH" and "Universal". Last Monday I listened to the final two albums "Distant Satellites" (which still has some pretty nice tunes) and "The Optimist" (which was still a disappointment for me).

The two "Humanity" chapters by Thomas Bergersen also got another spin yesterday. Apparently there's five more chapters to be followed. Productive guy. Can't be cheap to make this kind of music, it seems like a whole orchestra is involved. Anyway, I made a playlist with my favourite tracks out of the two albums.

Today (in the A series) I listened to:
Anderson/Stolt - "Invention Of Knowledge"

To be honest, it grew on me a little bit. When I first heard about the album (still in the making back then) I was sooooooo looking forward to it: the lead singer of one of my favourite prog bands teaming up with one of my favourite guitar players. It turned out to be a disappointment once again. Too much Jon and too little Roine. Not much space for Roine's excellent songwriting and every second is filled with vocals. Every track sounds the same.
But, today I listened three times to this album and I began to like it. My critisism still remains for the most part, but like I said, it's growing slowly.
I hope they will team up again in the future with Roine taking up a bigger role.

Also listened to:
Änglagård - "Viljans Öga"

Intriguing music, and I remember having bought it because of the 'classic' and 'retro' feel and admittedly the hype played a large part as well. It's not bad, but I think I might not have bought it with my current state of mind. Still, I listened to it twice today and didn't skip one track. :) It's a difficult album for sure.

Then on to the new ones of this year:
Glass Kites - "Glass Kites II"
Like I said, nice album to have in your playlist. I think, the last track, which is ten+ minutes, is the best. But why not listen to the whole album? Only 30 minutes. I guess if it had been a full 50-60 minutes album it might have been a bit too much. But who knows? I'm not tired of it yet. Will probably listen tomorrow as well.

ProAge - "4. Wymiar"
Never heard of (anything by) this band, but this is already the third album by this Polish band. The previous two albums were released in an English and a Polish version. This new album (released last friday I think) is only in Polish as for now. I'm already having it on repeat. It's pretty good! ProgArchives says 'Neo-Prog' and that's probably the best way to describe them indeed. Keys remind me of Arena sometimes. Also early Marillion is not very far. Mentioning Riverside here seems obvious because of their nationality. Don't know if it's bias, but I mention them anyway. The epic (29 minutes) 4th Dimension is the only song where they sing in English. Pretty cool synth sounds on this one.
I already listened twice to this album and I think I will listen again!
Check out the epic of the album on YouTube!

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2021-01-12, 20:57:52
I've set an reminder in my calender for Dollhouse Rock Radio on Sunday. Let's see what it's all about.

It's a nice radio programme. You'll hear several kinds of rock, from prog to heavy metal. And so now and then (too many) growls. But I keep on listening to discover new bands/music.

Quote from: PH
Can't find where I can listen live to Prog Non Stop. I can see the playlists that you can relisten, but not live.

You can't hear it live, it's indeed a stream you can listen to whenever you want and I do that on Mondays :): http://www.prognonstop.com/luister-live/

Today:
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Anathema - Falling Deeper
The Pineapple Thief - ... Introducing The Pineapple Thief
Pendragon - Love Over Fear

np: Ring Van Möbius - The 3rd Majesty

I've read a positive review in the iO-pages. It's a bit of ELP music, but it isn't really my cup of tea. More listening won't change my mind ... and off the list it goes ;). Still enough on it though :).

PH

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2021-01-13, 19:14:58
It's a nice radio programme. You'll hear several kinds of rock, from prog to heavy metal. And so now and then (too many) growls. But I keep on listening to discover new bands/music.

You can't hear it live, it's indeed a stream you can listen to whenever you want and I do that on Mondays :): http://www.prognonstop.com/luister-live/

Thank you Teunis!

Quote from: Teunis on Wed, 2021-01-13, 19:14:58
np: Ring Van Möbius - The 3rd Majesty

I've read a positive review in the iO-pages. It's a bit of ELP music, but it isn't really my cup of tea. More listening won't change my mind ... and off the list it goes ;). Still enough on it though :).

I also read a positive review on this album. My reaction is the same as yours.

Today I listened to:
Anima Mundi - "The Way"

Anyone familiar with this Cuban band? I think it's pretty good. Saw them live in oktober(?) 2018 and it was a big surprise to me because I had not heard a single note of their music before that evening. I enjoyed it a lot. I was even disappointed that I had to go home early. I heard they played for more than three hours!
To me, this album reminds me of The Flower Kings and Transatlantic. Also Pink Floyd. It's not masterpiece material, but still pretty nice music.

2021 music on Spotify:
Again I listened to ProAge - "4. Wymiar" today.
For some reason I'm being drawn to this album. It's pretty melodic. And not too heavy.

Then there's also "There, There" by For Giants. An instrumental Progressive Metal album. Unfortunately it didn't convince me that much.

The Flying Caravan (those names... sometimes... really...? And then some are complaining that people think progressive rock is silly) - "I Just Wanna Break Even"
Silly band name, but the music is not too silly. It's not groundbreaking stuff, but pleasant enough to let it play out its time. Perhaps I'll listen again.

Now listening to Need - "Norchestrion: A Song For The End"
Back in Prog Metal territory. Not bad.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2021-01-13, 20:54:09
Anima Mundi - "The Way"

Anyone familiar with this Cuban band?
Yeah, I know them. I remember that I have tried some albums, but it didn't grip me enough. Don't know the reason anymore, maybe the vocals? Would have to listen again to find out.

Today:
Soen - Lotus *horns*
Status Quo - 12 Gold Bars (Compilation. Sometimes I just want to rock ;))
Wolverine - Machina Viva
Camel - A Nod And a Wink
Ayreon - The Dream Sequencer

np: Thomas Bergersen - Humanity ~ Chapter 1

Nice melodic (film) music starting from track 3. A bit too long to keep me entertained because of too many instrumental songs and sometimes female vocals, which are not my favourite. But will listen to Chapter 2 as well, pretty interesting.

Teunis

Today:
Huis - Neither In Heaven
Arena - Live & Life (2cd, 'Contagion' live and more ... Yeah, Arena with Rob Sowden rocks *horns*, long time ago that I played this)
Asia - Aqua
Toto - The Seventh One

Speaking of this band, how is your Toto investigation going PH? ;)

np: Supertramp - Breakfast In America

Teunis

pp: Leprous - Malina *horns*
np: Pattern-Seeking Animals - Prehensile Tales

Really interesting album, like it 8).

erik

Played today:
Iona - Open Sky
The Cyberiam - The Cyberiam
The Cyberiam - Forging Nations Live
Mansun - Six
Gungfly - Friendship
Haunt The Woods - Opaque
Moonshot - Worlds of yesterday
Vangelis - Rosetta
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Teunis

Today:
Riverside - Out Of Myself
The Pineapple Thief - Magnolia
Blind Ego - Mirror
Riverside - Shrine Of New Generation Slaves (to celebrate its 8th anniversary)
Arena - Pepper's Ghost

Now listening to Prog Non Stop #520.

Teunis

Today:
Arena - The Seventh Degree Of Separation (We've discussed it before: although it lacks solos, it's still a great album with beautiful melodies 8))
Bjørn Riis - Lullabies In A Car Crash
Gazpacho - Fireworker
Agent Fresco - Destrier
Toto - Falling In Between
Asia - XXX

np: Anima Mundi - Insomnia

Not bad, but not really my cup of tea. Both the music and the vocals don't appeal to me. Add the use of the saxophone so now and then and you know why I won't run to my local record shop ;).

Teunis

Today:
Bjørn Riis - Forever Comes To An End
Arena - Arena: Live Recorded 2011/12 Tour
Leprous - Malina
IQ - Nomzano

np: Soen - Lykaia

Teunis

Today:
Arena - The Unquiet Sky *horns*
Bjørn Riis - Coming Home (EP)
Bjørn Riis - A Storm Is Coming
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Riverside - Love, Fear And The Time Machine
Steve Thorne - Levelled ~ Emotional Creatures Part 3

np: Pink Floyd - Animals (To celebrate its 44th anniversary)

Teunis

pp: Arena - Double Vision *horns*
np: Von Hertzen Brothers - New Day Rising 8)

erik

NP The Cyberiam - Forging Nations Live

This band is really good guys, check them out.

BP Steely Dan - Katy Lied and Pretzel Logic
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Teunis

Quote from: erik on Sat, 2021-01-23, 16:40:58
NP The Cyberiam - Forging Nations Live

This band is really good guys, check them out.
Don't know it. It has the label 'Heavy Prog' on Progarchives.com. Is there a band you can compare it with?

Today:
Anathema - Distant Satellites
Muse - The 2nd Law

np: Änglagård - Viljans Öga

It was recommended by a friend. Have heard the whole album, but it isn't really my cup of tea. It's instrumental and the music doesn't appeal to me :-\.

erik

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2021-01-23, 19:50:01
Don't know it. It has the label 'Heavy Prog' on Progarchives.com. Is there a band you can compare it with?

There is definitely a Dream Theater and Rush influence, but it is not quite as heavy as DT and very melodic and accesible. Also a bit of an alternative rock vibe in their sound. I discovered them by way of their support slot in the Marillion couch convention which indicates they have a broader appeal.

NP Perfect Storm - No Air

Excellent debut by this Dutch band. 
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..