News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Best band

Started by Herben, Wed, 2005-08-24, 00:03:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Choose Your Favourite band or add a band

Arena
48 (63.2%)
Marillion
16 (21.1%)
Fish
0 (0%)
DreamTheater
15 (19.7%)
Threshold
9 (11.8%)
Pendragon
7 (9.2%)
Shadow Gallery
3 (3.9%)
Shadowland
1 (1.3%)
Ayreon
12 (15.8%)
Spock's Beard
4 (5.3%)
IQ
13 (17.1%)
Queen
5 (6.6%)
Golden Earring
1 (1.3%)
Genesis
11 (14.5%)
Pink Floyd
7 (9.2%)
Yes
5 (6.6%)
The Flower Kings
2 (2.6%)
Kino
3 (3.9%)
Rush
2 (2.6%)
Porcupine Tree
6 (7.9%)
Pain of Salvation
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 76

gelert

This is great....

OK, here we go...  ;D

Asia.
Landmarq.
Alan Parson's Project.
BJH.
Boston.
City Boy.
The Carpenters.
Cressida.
Cross.
Deep Purple.
Fleetwood Mac.
Galahad.
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Peter

Quote from: Herben on Thu, 2005-08-25, 19:35:20
Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2005-08-24, 10:12:01
You should have split Marillion into with and without Fish...
Then You can split Arena in 3, one with John Carson, one with Paul Wrightson and one with Rob Sowden,

No, actually not. The Marillion split is not simply about "Who's the singer now", but more like "This is another band now". Arena's style hasn't changed that much in the change of singers, if you ask me. But hey, that's just my 2c, I didn't want to make your poll bad or anything...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Deenfan

Peter, behave now! :D

Marillion's first has just as little to do with "Clutching at straws" as "Misplaced childhood" has to do with "Holidays in eden". Or as much. The change between "Clutching..." and "Seasons end" is not bigger than any other leap the band made. Not very much. The fact that the band sounds extremely different today is another matter, and they would do so if Fish and the band never split. There would be little evidence of "Fugazi" in Fish's Marillion anno 2005.

But I see your point, of course. I would have issues with listing Crimson Glory as one of my favourite bands. I adored the two first albums. Best music I'd been treated to in my life back then. The third I absolutely hate (still same singer) and the fourth gave me nothing (new singer). It's a bit the same with Queensrÿche. One of my favourites, but man they suck these days, and have for the last three albums. So, yes, I think I know how you feel.

But for the purpose of the poll...

1.Fish's Marillion, two first albums
2.Fish's Marillion, two last albums
3.H's Marillion, Season's end only
4.H's Marillion, Seasons... - Afraid of sunlight
5. As 4., but strike "Holidays in Eden"
6. As 5, but add "This strange engine"
7. As 6., but do not strike "Holidays in Eden"
8.H's Marillion
9.Fish's Marillion
10.H's Marillion, but not "Radiation"
11.Fish's Marillion, AND "Radiation"
12. ...and so bloody on...

Arena had a style on the first two albums that has little to do with anything they've released since. -If you're being picky about details and blowing them up a bit. Visitor, Immortal, and Contagion... Well, maybe they're around the same feeling or style. But "Pepper's Ghost"? -That's a third direction. I must hasten to add: That's how I've felt about it. If you hear the music in a different way than me, this won't make sense, of course.

Just throwing in my last few cents... ;D

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Deenfan on Fri, 2005-08-26, 00:13:15
Arena had a style on the first two albums that has little to do with anything they've released since. -If you're being picky about details and blowing them up a bit. Visitor, Immortal, and Contagion... Well, maybe they're around the same feeling or style. But "Pepper's Ghost"? -That's a third direction. I must hasten to add: That's how I've felt about it. If you hear the music in a different way than me, this won't make sense, of course.
I agree to a certain point. I find the first and second album not a like, so to me there are 4 "styles" :P Still, they all sound like very Arena! It's the keys and lyrics that make it "Arena" to me. So, good job Clive :)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

The Voyager

THE BEATLES is the best ever! Regarding art-rock. Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, UK. Neo - early Marillion, Pendragon, later IQ, Arena, Ad Infinitum...

Herben

Quote from: Herben on Wed, 2005-08-24, 00:03:59
Just do a vote for the best band there are 3 votes for every user and can change fill in number 15 and say which band so I can add this band, just extending the list, later on You can change Your votes when the band is added, so let's see how it works...............
I found out it did not work the way I thought it would be, I removed other, if Your favourite band is not in the list give the name and I will add it and than later on You can go for a vote, I added bandnames that were mentioned but nobody is voting for them!!!!!!! If You name something, it's also a good habit too vote for the band You named, but suggestions are always welcome of course, there are a lot bands.
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Herben

Quote from: The Voyager on Fri, 2005-08-26, 15:48:58
  THE BEATLES is the best ever!
Why didn't You vote then for the BEATLES there stil going on zero

Herben

Quote from: Deenfan on Fri, 2005-08-26, 00:13:15
But for the purpose of the poll...

1.Fish's Marillion, two first albums
2.Fish's Marillion, two last albums
3.H's Marillion, Season's end only
4.H's Marillion, Seasons... - Afraid of sunlight
5. As 4., but strike "Holidays in Eden"
6. As 5, but add "This strange engine"
7. As 6., but do not strike "Holidays in Eden"
8.H's Marillion
9.Fish's Marillion
10.H's Marillion, but not "Radiation"
11.Fish's Marillion, AND "Radiation"
12. ...and so bloody on...
You make it very complicated, why not ask the favourite Marillion album as a new poll?

keyboardistmatt

Quote from: Herben on Wed, 2005-09-21, 22:37:35
You make it very complicated, why not ask the favourite Marillion album as a new poll?

**SIGH** Ok.  I'll do it... ::)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

gelert

You should have split the poll into WITH  or WITHOUT FISH...

How many other websites can you visit, where this is a serious question...?

Formula One (possibly...?  ::) )

The Best Way To Use An AMD Processor (probably not...!)

The Conservatory Party's Manifesto for ANY election...? (er, scarily, er,  probably...)

Come to think of it....   8)
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Herben

Quote from: gelert on Thu, 2005-09-22, 19:09:35
You should have split the poll into WITH  or WITHOUT FISH...
I'm getting tired of this question, just go to the other poll about Marillion with H and Marillion without H. If Fish was still in the band we would have a Marbles album with Fish as singer, Ocean Cloud with Fish instead of Steve Hogarth, maybe Fish will cover it some day for You and then make a decision which is the best.

Peter

Quote from: Herben on Thu, 2005-09-22, 22:37:07
I'm getting tired of this question,

How could you, possibly? It's a vital fact when you're being asked "how do you like Marillion" or "which Marillion album do you prefer" because there's two bands with the same name, really...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Herben

Quote from: Peter on Thu, 2005-09-22, 23:04:22
How could you, possibly? It's a vital fact when you're being asked "how do you like Marillion" or "which Marillion album do you prefer" because there's two bands with the same name, really...
Not so strange 22 years ago there was another Marillion nowadays, ok if You look at Status Quo, Bon Jovi there first album is almost the same as their last one, they just don't use new ideas, as Marillion does. But if I look at Dreamtheater and listen to Train of thought and listen to Octavarium it's like listening to two different bands more extreme than marillion over 24 years! They only needed 2 years to make that different! Or take the difference with the Moody Blues just before 1966 and just after 1966, what a difference!

Spad

... Arena, IQ and The Flower Kings......

... even if it would have been a very longer list..... but these are just the three names I think in these days if I'm prog-thinking....  :)

Who knows which names could I think about tomorrow????:D :D
Does it to matter to you?
In the lions' cage we're all the same.

Emilia

I voted
QUEEN (obviously  ;)
ARENA
& SHADOW GALLERY
By Queen I also meant Brian May's solos and other projects they have done, so for me this is the unquestionnable winner. Such tallented, innovative, influential and musiaclly varied (!) bands are hard to be found even today. And -what's important they stayed the same in terms of the group members (!) for more than 15 years. Can you find me any other band like this?
Queen, for me personnally, is the only band (or one of a few) who, in spite of some musical stumbles like "Hot Space" albums were NEVER! boring. You could have bought their worst album but the songs, despite their crappy quality sometimes, were not dull or using the same worn out ideas  - they always came up with new, surprising themes, melodies, musical gadgets so that even if their production could be sometimes (yes!) kitchy, commercial or nor really rockn'd roll they never bored me, even for once - but that's my opinion. And... they were excellent performers... the band who could gather up to 150 thousand people in one place and rule the crowd like Freddie did. I know there are people who hate Queen but I always look at them as a collection of different things so I do not care about the stumbles and other stuff, who's perfect after all?, but I believe they are one of those groups - and there are not too many - who really have it ALL.
Emilia
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

Moonloop

Quote from: Emilia on Tue, 2005-10-04, 14:43:32
I voted
QUEEN
And -what's important they stayed the same in terms of the group members (!) for more than 15 years. Can you find me any other band like this?

The first U2 album came out in 1980, which gives them the same line up for 25 years now  ;D

(I love Queen too by the way - I just like a challenge as well  ;) )
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

keyboardistmatt

Arena, but it does change alot...

...depending on who does something that impresses me! ;)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

PH

I voted Genesis, Arena and Kino.
Yup, I'm the guy who dared to vote for Kino (It's the only vote so far).

But please, remove all the dutch bands (except the good ones like Ayreon of course).
I mean "Vader Abraham"... What the hell is he doing on that list?!?!
I'm not going to a forum about Arena to see that name on a list.
I don't want to see that name anywhere, never!!

"Waar komen jullie toch vandaan? Waar de Smurfenhuisjes staan!"

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!11!!!!1!!!!!!one!!!!

Herben

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2005-10-04, 16:49:33
There were named so much bands that also maybe should not be in the list so I thought what does it matter to add some dutch singing bands, not much interest in that bands, but yes a band is a band, so why not

Emilia

Quote from: Moonloop on Tue, 2005-10-04, 14:54:52
The first U2 album came out in 1980, which gives them the same line up for 25 years now  ;D

(I love Queen too by the way - I just like a challenge as well  ;) )
Yeah, ok but none of U2 members died... since then , luckily for them  ;D and their fans. I do not especially like U2 though, cos their style from the musical side seems a bit dull for me (sorry fans) or maybe I am musically deaf, who knows?  ;D
I just sometimes wonder what made U2 so famous?
I sometimes wonder what would happen If Freddie was alive? I just can not imagine what kind of music they would play now - some think that the band stopped existing just in the right time after Innuendo - one of their best albums, I think it would be hard to produce anything better than that.... (even for them) So many older bands struggle to come back on scene with a new material but sometimes with no good result, that's sometimes sad... I would not like this to happen to Queen (If they existed) so maybe that's good they are remembered like that :) Emilia
My spirit is weeping, For freedom it cries, Been scraping my living In the valley of lies. Gonna ride the night to the morning sun. Resurrection is a gonna come.

Moonloop

I think Innuendo and The Miracle were two of Queens strongest albums (and that's saying something  ;) ). Interesting too because The Miracle was the first album where they wrote as a group instead of individually and I think they certainly benefited from that approach  ;D

The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Herben

Quote from: Emilia on Thu, 2005-10-06, 10:01:46
I just sometimes wonder what made U2 so famous?
Just a question of money, that was put in them, radiostations play their songs so they get famous it's as simple as that

Vanderwoude

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2005-10-04, 16:49:33

But please, remove all the dutch bands (except the good ones like Ayreon of course).
I mean "Vader Abraham"... What the hell is he doing on that list?!?!
I'm not going to a forum about Arena to see that name on a list.
I don't want to see that name anywhere, never!!

I also voted for this 3 but nightwish comes very very close, especially their album 'Tales from the Elvenpath' is perfect to listen to.
''I'm a million times removed, from the socially closed world.''
I can imagine, that wouldn't be too nice.

Wilford Jr.

I've heard of the name Nightwish before but I have never heard any of their music.  How would you characterize their music besides being progressive?
No longer feeling anything
Fading fast
Nothing lasts
Beyond the waking hour