News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Nicky007

Started by Nicky007, Mon, 2007-05-21, 13:11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2010-02-21, 13:02:43
OK, Aqua 275 did it  *horns*

The ocean gave and I gave it back
Gods of the deep see my creations
To see their excellence throw away your prejudice

Crash into the waves
Feeling the cold
Down below
Make your final dive into the sea
Welcome to this world"

- Aqua 275

Cap, somethin for you ?  ;)

Nicky.

Hmmm, that track is definitely a huge rocker, especially at bridge and chorus. Massively talented, those guys.
Will let the myspace playlist sink in a bit.
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Nicky007

I was actually thinking of the lyrics, Cap, but I'm happy that you like their music  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

Great, now at last I found a Danish rock group that's worthy of pantheon status:  Anubis Gate  *horns*

Andromeda Unchained is a terrific album !  Here Anubis are in class with Seventh Wonder and Circus Maximus, and just as good - really !

They have a fine balance between heavy, melody, and musicianship. The lyrics are good, without being extraordinary, similar to SW's lyrics. There is plenty variation, and delicious shifts and twists. Some nice space travel atmosphere too, here and there  :)

The singing is rather low in the mix, but that's typical of Danish bands. In this country, English lyrics and vocal expression arent yet prioritised equal to the music. That's why there's still too much growling to my taste  :-\

On Andromeda there's no growling at all, and Jacob Hansen is a quite good singer  8)

Their latest album Detached is supposed to be just as excellent.

Mad, you never told us how great these guys are  >:( ;D

Actually one of the main reasons I decided to try'm out was that I noticed your repeated NP's with'm  :)

Cap, Tom, Iggy, you guys will like'm too - maybe even Teunis, as there's no growl  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2010-04-05, 18:57:44

Mad, you never told us how great these guys are  >:( ;D

One tiny error.
It will never happen again, I promise.  :-[ :-[ :-[  ;D

QuoteActually one of the main reasons I decided to try'm out was that I noticed your repeated NP's with'm  :)

Weird thing is that I actually hardly play the albums anymore.
There's so much to listen too in so little time.  :-\
Music is great but it would be even better if there were 30 hours in one day.  ::) ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Teunis

Cap, Tom, Iggy, you guys will like'm too - maybe even Teunis, as there's no growl  ;)
In that case I'm curious  ;). Found their MySpace meanwhile, listened to a track called 'Yiri', it rocks! Melody, good musicianship indeed and I like the style of the singer  8). Okay, I'll listen to more when I've got more time, promising  *horns*.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Peter

Cap, Tom, Iggy, you guys will like'm too - maybe even Teunis, as there's no growl  ;)

Took a trip to their myspace... omg, another DT.... ?
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Nicky007

Quote from: Peter on Tue, 2010-04-06, 14:50:24
Took a trip to their myspace... omg, another DT.... ?

::)

Watch out, Cap, or I'l start callin ya Bligh (HMS Bounty)  :P

Nothin against DT (as ya know), but Anubis are much closer to Seventh Wonder  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2010-04-06, 15:08:32

Nothin against DT (as ya know), but Anubis are much closer to Seventh Wonder  8)

Nicky.

I'll drink to that. ;)

Meaning: I agree.   :)

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2010-04-06, 15:37:28
I'll drink to that. ;)

I'm happy that you agree with me so much, Mad, but I don't want you to end up needing a Minnesota  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2010-04-06, 15:08:32

Nicky.

By the way, I've just discovered that they are working one a new album as we eh...speak.

Seventh Wonder that is.  ;)

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2010-04-06, 22:41:19
By the way, I've just discovered that they are working on a new album as we eh...speak.

Great, I'm really happy about that !

Especially considering that they were about to stop due to poor sales.

But that's the way it is:  Only few people care for quality rock  :'(

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2010-04-07, 12:17:16
Great, I'm really happy about that !

Especially considering that they were about to stop due to poor sales.

But that's the way it is:  Only few people care for quality rock  :'(

Nicky.

Hmm, I think it's more like 'only a few people care enough for quality rock and buy the artists stuff'.

aswas

you got that right totally Nicky
don't fly... too close to the sun

aswas

Dumb question, but how do you update your listening profiles? I have added many to my collection, and I wanted to update it, if its ok. aswas
don't fly... too close to the sun

Bupie

You just go back to the post where you entered your list and you click on the Modify icon (upper right side of your post)  :) And of course when you have finished writing, you save.

Nicky007

Amorphis  -->  Pantheon

Anubis Gate's  The Detached  -->  Pantheon

Of course it's OK to update ones LP, Aswas  :)

I do it almost every day - and Cap hasnt complained  ;D

I actually find LP's very interesting. That's why I'v put in so much effort into mine. I wish that more proggies would do so.

I'v never seen a so extensive LP as mine. Have you ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Haken --> Prog pantheon

Arcturus --> Prog pantheon

Sideshow Symphonies is absolutely stunning - unusual and thrilling, unbelievable musicianship  *horns*

Here are some lines from the Amazon.com review by Nicholas Adam Chupka "Metalhead" (Derwood, MD), September 29, 2005:

An absolutely sick display of dark cosmic atmospherics

"The ultimate selling point for this album must be the songwriting. Where The Shame Mirrors and La Masquerade were impressive in their eclectic qualities, Sideshow Symphonies features what might possibly be the most cohesive songs in the band's career. I was seriously hesitant about expecting too much from this new release, but I cannot get over the focus and purpose of these tracks. Instead of focusing on the avant-garde, Arcturus wisely focus on the songs themselves, and allow the avant-garde, black metal, and gothic influences to remain just that: influences.

I'm not sure I have ever heard a metal vocal performance that so carefully selects lyrical content so that when it is coupled with the vocal delivery, it creates an instrument of importance which matches that of the drums, guitars, bass, and keyboards.

The end result is an album undeniably Arcturus for all those who know the sound. The bonus is that this well-deserving band has figured out a way to match the songwriting genius of its individual members' other projects (Winds, Dimmu Borgir, Borknagar, etc.) without sacrificing a single ounce of the twisted soundscapes which have made this band one of the most respectfully original outfits in the modern metal scene."

Noone else into this group ?

Great news: "There are rumours circulating the internet that Arcturus may reform with Garm as the vocalist. Hellhammer has recently confirmed that an Arcturus reunion is inevitable, and that Garm has shown interest in participating. Furthermore, ICS Vortex has mentioned he plans to resurrect "a band or three" in a blog he posted shortly after being removed from Dimmu Borgir. Vortex has also stated on his myspace page that he was told by an alien that regarding an Arcturus reunion, 2011 is a lucky number."

- Wiki - Arcturus

Let's hope !

I'l sure be there  *horns*

"... he was told by an alien that regarding an Arcturus reunion, 2011 is a lucky number."  ;D

These guys are far out .... but in a good way  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2010-04-26, 13:26:52

I'v never seen a so extensive LP as mine. Have you ?

Nicky.

No, you're right.  :o

Here in the Room it's still the largest one and its even expanding from what i can tell.  ;)

I like that you put so much effort in it, Nicky.  8)

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2010-05-24, 10:22:02
I like that you put so much effort in it, Nicky.  8)

Thanx, Mad, I really appreciate your feedback  :)

It's a lotta fun for me, and I hope it helps music lovers find the good stuff  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

The Tea Party --> My prog pantheon  *horns*

Interzone mantras is hot as hell - and very spiritual too  ;)

They'r very eclectic, but put an original spin on everything. And Jeff Martin is one of the most expressive singers around  8)

Mad, thanx for gettin me onto this band  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

To-Mera --> Prog pantheon

Man, these guys are so good  *horns*

Just read in Wiki (under Transcendental, their debut album): "The album has been likened to the works of bands such as Symphony X, SikTh, Dillinger Escape Plan and Opeth."

No wonder that I like it !  Three of my pantheon groups  8)

But To-Mera are highly original too  :)

Guess I gotta check up SikTh .....

Anyone here know'm ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2010-06-25, 11:24:39
Guess I gotta check up SikTh .....

Anyone here know'm ?

Yup, I have one of their albums, Death Of A Dead Day. It's actually quite extreme, their sound is made up of the 'deathcore' of BTBAM and the disturbing, treathening sound of Meshuggah. A friend of mine introduced me to them a few months ago, but I'm still not sure what to think. It's very mood-dependant. The first track is a real killer though. I gotta say, the more I listen to it - every once in a while - the more I'm able to appreciate the album as a whole. I don't know if I'll eventually end up liking it, but we'll see.

Hope this helps! :)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

OK, I made some additions to my LP:

A foreword, to get non-Roomies interested, as I think that my LP can be of use to people searching for good prog, either newbies or folks wanting to extend their prog collection.

A new section, "Fave producers". These are producers who obviously have made an artist or a group so much better.

I have excluded producers who produce albums by their own groups (like Clive), even when they'r excellent.

Naturally this section is shorter than the other fave sections, as it takes more time (for me iac) to identify a great producer than a great singer or guitarist.

So here are some obvious producers of excellence:

Nick Raskulinecz:  Trivium's Shogun (he made a tremendous difference here), Alice In Chain's Black Gives Way To Blue, Rush's Snakes And Arrows, and Deftones' Diamond Eyes.

Rick Rubin:  He not only produced, but did a lot else to ensure the success of the amazing American Recordings with Johnny Cash.

Andy Sneap:  He produced Nevermore's Dead Heart In A Dead World, Enemies of Reality (Remix), This Godless Endeavor, Year Of The Voyager (CD & DVD), The Obsidian Conspiracy - an amazing feat considering the density of the music.

So guys, give me some recoms for further great producers  ;)

Of course, my shopping list is burgeoning ... but there should be some relief coming up, as I'l be getting a proper wage from August on  8)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Adagio --> Prog pantheon

These guys are obviously very ambitious, and they have now become one of the most exciting progmetal groups imo, maybe not as insanely ingenious as DT and SyX, but definitely in league with Circus Maximus, Seventh Wonder, and Anubis Gate.

Listening to their album Dominate, at first I perceived them as leaning rather heavily on SyX, but with the epic R'lyeh the Dead (Track 5, 8:25), I could hear that they are highly original.

Their lyrics are dark and evocative.

And guitarist and main composer Stephan Forté goes into my fave guitarists list.

So kudos to Adagio, a great progmetal group  *horns*

And my first French pantheon group  8)

Also To-Mera guitarist Tom MacLean goes into my fave guitarist list  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Them Crooked Vultures --> Prog pantheon

Their album really lives up to all the hype and all my expectations. Brilliant album  *horns*

Well, you bring together three such amazing talents, and you can hardly expect anything less than that  :)

And Dave is back on the drums, which he really masters  8)

I must say that I find the Foo Fighters rather bland  :-\

Tip: Take TCV in small doses initially, as it's pretty harsh stuff, everything but easy listenin. Trust Josh Homme  ;D

Hey Paxi, now I can hardly see you any longer  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can