News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Nicky007

Started by Nicky007, Mon, 2007-05-21, 13:11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-06-25, 17:59:30
Just added DT's Trial of Tears (on FII) to my stuck-on songs.

Whew, what a piece  *horns*

Nicky.

Brilliant piece of music, that is.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

erik

Totally agree! One of the or maybe the best track on said album!
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Bupie

I agree too  8)

Lines In the Sand is another standout track, though. Maybe less immediate but nonetheless stunning  *horns*

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2009-06-26, 10:20:05
Lines In the Sand is another standout track, though. Maybe less immediate but nonetheless stunning  *horns*

Spot on, Bups !  It is absolutely stunning  *horns*

I also added Lines to my stuck-on list.

I have an absolute rule that there may not be more than three songs from an album on my list, so I have to stop now  >:( ;D

I also added Chris Cornell's Follow My Way (on Euphoria Morning). He proves himself to be one of rock's outstanding singers on this song, and Alain and Natasha create a very special mood  *horns*  (waiting for you guys)

And I added Beatles' Let It Be, an old love that I hadnt thought of earlier for my list  8)

And guys, thanks for helping me leave Paxi even further behind (not only the Rainbow Parade)  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-06-26, 11:11:02
And I added Beatles' Let It Be, an old love that I hadnt thought of earlier for my list  8)

A sing-along (false of course  ;D) favorite of mine  *horns*

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2009-06-26, 14:15:45
A sing-along (false of course  ;D) favorite of mine  *horns*

I always call these hum-along favourites for the same reason. ;D

Nicky007

As you know, I'v really fallen into Infinity  ;)  and as it seems to me that Derek played a major part in making this album a masterpiece (minus four tracks), I'v checked up on Wikipedia and Amazon, and eventually decided to add DT's Once In A LIVEtime and Derek's Inertia to my SL.

Any'o you guys into his stuff ?

Btw, Bups, Steve Lukathim plays on Inertia  ;) ;D

Wikipedia - Derek Sherinian: "In 1994, Derek replaced Kevin Moore in the progressive metal band Dream Theater, originally just for the band's promotional tour for Awake. In early 1995, however, he was made a full-time member of the band. He recorded the albums A Change of Seasons (1995), Falling Into Infinity (1997), and Once In A LIVEtime (1998) with Dream Theater before being replaced in January 1999 by Jordan Rudess because of creative differences. Sherinian remained on good terms with the band, and reunited with Dream Theater for a one-off concert in 2004, which was recorded and released on When Dream and Day Reunite (2004). The band's performance of Metropolis Pt. 1 featured an extended improvisation between Sherinian, Jordan Rudess, and John Petrucci."

Any'o you guys know what these "creative differences" were about ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2009-06-30, 12:34:24

There's a lot of instrumental noodling on his solo stuff. ;)
I think he wanted to show the rest of the world that he can surpass Jordan. :D

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2009-06-30, 12:34:24
As you know, I'v really fallen into Infinity  ;)  and as it seems to me that Derek played a major part in making this album a masterpiece (minus four tracks), I'v checked up on Wikipedia and Amazon, and eventually decided to add DT's Once In A LIVEtime and Derek's Inertia to my SL.

Btw, Bups, Steve Lukathim plays on Inertia  ;) ;D

I knew for Steve L and Inertia. So I have it, of course  ;D : it's some kind of instrumental prog-jazz-metal that needs many listens to get into. So far, after only two complete listens, I can't give my opinion on it since I don't really have one. Though, I would say that I have the feeling that (as in DT) Derek is not willing to be as much in front and demonstrative as Jordan ... which is a good point for me since I am not fond of Jordan' soli to say the least  :P

OIALT is a must-have on DVD for the audio comments of the band (hum, well, the band minus Myung  :)) that are really funny. Let's imagine two hours of humourous talking and anecdotes. For the music itself, it shows a lot of energy but James is really struggling. I prefer it to LSFNY, though.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2009-06-30, 14:19:14
I think he wanted to show the rest of the world that he can surpass Jordan. :D

Possibly  ???

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2009-06-30, 15:29:16
... which is a good point for me since I am not fond of Jordan' soli to say the least  :P

Interesting, Bups. What struck me while listening attentively to FII was that here were some keyboard passages that matched JP's in intensity.

I'm not gonna go into a discussion of which of the three DT keyboard players was best / fitted best, as I don't (yet) have any opinion on that matter; I'm only phenomenologically relating that some of Derek's stuff on FII is as gripping as the best JP stuff. I'm pretty sure now that Derek has the second solo on Deep In Heaven, altho it sounds as wild as JP's.

Therefore I can't get why he left / had to leave DT.

Don't mistake me tho:  I'm exceedingly happy with Jordan at the keys.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2009-07-01, 11:42:27

As far as I know, Petrucci, Portnoy and Rudess felt such a great chemistry during the first LTE recording that Portnoy (and the other DT members ?)  simply decided to fire Sherinian to replace him by Rudess ...

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2009-07-01, 11:42:27

DT asked Jordan Rudess to join them already back in 1994, after Kevin Moore left the band. At the same time Jordan was asked to join the band Dixie Dregs as well, and in the end Rudess chose the Dregs, primarily as being a part time member of the band would have less of an impact on his young family, a choice he was not given with Dream Theater. He did play a few shows with DT in 1994 though, but then DT found a more permanent replacement for Kevin Moore in Derek Sherinian.

Then in 1997, when Mike Portnoy was asked to form a 'supergroup' by Magna Carta Records, Rudess was asked to be keyboardist in the band. This time he accepted the offer and after releasing 2 albums with Liquid Tension Experiment it became evident to Portnoy (and Petrucci) that Rudess was what Dream Theater needed. In 1999 they asked Rudess to join the band, and when he accepted they released Derek Sherinian to make way for him.

Next to this Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci felt that Derek Sherinian was a bit too 'rock 'n roll' on stage with his flashy clothes and sunglasses. They felt that this didn't fit with what DT tried to represent. He remained on good terms with the band though, which you can see on the 'When Dream And Day Reunite-DVD' where he joins the band on stage for Metropolis Pt. 1. John Petrucci was also one of the guest musicians on Derek's solo-album 'Blood Of The Snake', so no hard feelings at all here.

Hope this helps! ;)

Tom (Phew, it's been a while...)
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Wed, 2009-07-01, 14:13:54
Hope this helps! ;)

Yes, very much so, Tom. Thanks.

And Bups, thanks for your comment too  :)

Tom (phew, it's been a while...)

It sure has. We've missed you  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Nicky, where's your wiki?

Nicky007

Edited my LP today:

Upgraded Santana and Steppenwolf to Past Masters (from "Other groups ..."), as I realised that they have been essential in forming my musical consciousnesss.

Added Dave Gilmour's, Roger Water's, and Rick Wright's solo-releases to Pink Floyd's in my prog pantheon.

Added DT's Another Day, Floyd's Time / The Great Gig In The Sky, and Sieges Even's Iconic to my stuck-on songs, cause these songs are of course terrific.

I'm wondering once again how I can have a gap between 1986 and 91, and between 83 and 86 in my stuck-on list. Are there really no memorable songs from 84, 85, and 87-90 ?

Any tips, guys ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2009-02-27, 10:14:57
[Dire Straits'] Alchemy is also a great live album !

I took you up on that one, Bups. Altho I once attended a concert with DS in Cop (long ago), I never really listened to any live album with'm. Would be interesting. So I added Alchemy to my SL. Thanks  :)

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2009-02-27, 10:14:57
The last two studio albums, on the other hand  :-X

I think I agree with you there, Bups:  I listened to On Every Street recently, and found it rather boring. The lyrics didnt either grip me in any way.

Strange that Mark Knopfler lost it sooo much. The stuff he's done recently really seems sleepytime to me. Or am I mistaken ?  ;)

I also had to remove Flower Kings from my SL. I tried once again with Paradox Hotel, but it bores me. And Roine's accent annoys me. Why hasnt he learnt English properly, like Mikael and Daniel have ?

Sorry guys, I'm just not into that sorta stuff. Maybe I was once, grooving for hours to Floyd's, Genesis', and Yes' lengthy free associations (and a good joint always helps in such situations) ... but no more.

Today I go for thoroughly thought thru, composed, and recorded music with complex passages and lots of exciting details. DT is probably the archetype of my taste today. Nevermore excite me just as much, but admittedly they are not as varied as DT.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-07-09, 13:05:55

I'm wondering once again how I can have a gap between 1986 and 91, and between 83 and 86 in my stuck-on list. Are there really no memorable songs from 84, 85, and 87-90 ?

Any tips, guys ?

Nicky.

Ah, the old antiphony that rock was dead, and prog rock even more, in the 80's. Well, I was 20 in 85 so I will sure find a lot of songs to put on your stuck-on list  :)  If I don't mistake, Misplaced Childhood was released in 85 so it already gives you Kayleigh, Lavender and Childhood's End  8).

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-07-09, 13:21:01

I took you up on that one, Bups. Altho I once attended a concert with DS in Cop (long ago), I never really listened to any live album with'm. Would be interesting. So I added Alchemy to my SL. Thanks  :)

I hope you will enjoy it. I I think that most proggies would. Plus, it was released when the band was at the peak of its form IMHO.

QuoteI think I agree with you there, Bups:  I listened to On Every Street recently, and found it rather boring. The lyrics didnt either grip me in any way.
Strange that Mark Knopfler lost it sooo much. The stuff he's done recently really seems sleepytime to me. Or am I mistaken ?  ;)

Frankly, I don't know enough of his recent work to make any comment. I just let it go by the time of Money For Nothing, a song that I really dislike  :P (which is rather strange since it's probably their biggest success).

QuoteI also had to remove Flower Kings from my SL. I tried once again with Paradox Hotel, but it bores me. And Roine's accent annoys me. Why hasnt he learnt English properly, like Mikael and Daniel have ?

I have given up too on TFK but I plan to come back to them one day ... maybe when my vacations count on months instead of weeks  ;D since it is a music that needs time and perseverance ...

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2009-07-10, 11:25:30
If I'm not mistaken, Misplaced Childhood was released in 85, so that already gives you Kayleigh, Lavender and Childhood's End  8).

Excellent tip, Bups. It's time I give my Fish-Marillion albums a run again. Thanks  :)

... since it is a music that needs time and perseverance ...

... or a couple of extra joints  :P

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-07-10, 11:43:12

Can I join? ;D

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-07-10, 11:43:12

Wristful thinking...

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-07-09, 13:21:01

I think I agree with you there, Bups:  I listened to On Every Street recently, and found it rather boring. The lyrics didnt either grip me in any way.

I also had to remove Flower Kings from my SL. I tried once again with Paradox Hotel, but it bores me. And Roine's accent annoys me. Why hasnt he learnt English properly, like Mikael and Daniel have ?

I hope you will enjoy it. I I think that most proggies would. Plus, it was released when the band was at the peak of its form IMHO.

Frankly, I don't know enough of his recent work to make any comment. I just let it go by the time of Money For Nothing, a song that I really dislike  :P (which is rather strange since it's probably their biggest success).

I have given up too on TFK but I plan to come back to them one day ... maybe when my vacations count on months instead of weeks  ;D since it is a music that needs time and perseverance ...

Amazingly, I think I agree with both of you about Dire Straits.  It's really not that strange that their biggest success would be one that you didn't like much -- think about what kind of music is usually a success on that scale.  We're the kind who tend to appreciate music the general public won't give a chance.  I don't really think it's such a bad song, but it's more of a novelty, and it got played so much that even if you didn't start out hating it, you probably ended up tired of it.  I think Knopfler did what a lot of gifted musicians do after a while -- he drifted off in a direction that isn't that interesting to his old fans.  Even my beloved Peter Gabriel did that, although I do feel obligated to give the newer stuff another chance since he's who he is.  Knopler did good stuff with DS, but I don't worship him so much that I feel I have to listen to soundtracks.  BTW, I have Alchemy (only on vinyl, unfortunately), and my recollection is, it's quite good.

I also feel the same as you guys about Flower Kings.  I really want to like them, but they just do too much directionless wandering (a.k.a. noodling) to hold my interest.  Many other notable prog bands have a lot of long songs too, but it usually feels like they've got a purpose for the long instrumental parts. I'd say Genesis does virtually no noodling, despite having many prog-length songs.  Yes probably noodles more, but even then, it usually seems like they're doing it together as a band and not just fiddling around for the sake of fiddling around.  With the FKs, it seems like they just noodle until they feel like getting back to the song by which time I've lost interest.  I hadn't noticed a problem with Roine's vocals, but that may just be because by the time he gets around to singing them, I've dozed off.   :-\
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2009-07-10, 17:08:55
With the FKs, it seems like they just noodle until they feel like getting back to the song by which time I've lost interest.  I hadn't noticed a problem with Roine's vocals, but that may just be because by the time he gets around to singing them, I've dozed off.   :-\

;D Greenie.

I have a bit of the same problem with The Tangent, altho not quite as much. Roine seems to be into noodles.

Guess there are other Roomies who like noodles and sausages more than I do  :D

Nicky.

So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-07-10, 21:15:20
I have a bit of the same problem with The Tangent, altho not quite as much. Roine seems to be into noodles.

I guess Roine is being held back by Andy there. But I LOVE Roine's voice. much more than Andy's.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2009-07-10, 21:15:20
Guess there are other Roomies who like noodles and sausages more than I do  :D

I like Dream Theater Noodles, but sausages taste like rain.

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2009-07-10, 22:27:50
But I LOVE Roine's voice. much more than Andy's.

I'l allow that Roine puts a lot of passion into his singing, and that's of course a quality  8)

But if I was his manager, I'd give him English lessons. In prog, you don't get away with being so remiss. E.g. the Amazon guys are extremely picky, and that's good, cause it keeps the quality of prog at the very top  *horns*

I like Dream Theater Noodles ...

Except that I'd call it Pasta Deluxe  ;D

... but sausages taste like rain.

That's only if ya idle too long. Ya gotta bite into'm (ouch)  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH