News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Nicky007

Started by Nicky007, Mon, 2007-05-21, 13:11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

.....*rustle* .... *clash*...now where's that d**n stick again....  8)        ;D
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Nicky007

Good Lord, what do I do now? ....... OK, I just worked up my faves list, brought in Spock's and Queen under "Genius", and Threshold under "Enjoy" (remember, Mr. Cider, I'm an oldie).

So, rules rule again.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Appelmoes??

Mr. Cider, that's a first :) I like it 8)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Assignment

Hi Nicky,

check out Genius - episode III - I am just listening to it - a project like Ayreon, tons of different vocals, very bombastic - conceptual piece - sounds really good - production is awesome. I think I´ll get the first two parts as well  :)

Nicky007

Quote from: Assignment on Mon, 2007-05-28, 13:57:36
Check out Genius - episode III - I am just listening to it - a project like Ayreon, tons of different vocals, very bombastic - conceptual piece - sounds really good - production is awesome. I think I´ll get the first two parts as well  :)

Thanks for the tip, Goran. I'll keep it in mind. Gotta listen to Ayreon first though. Human Eq and Electric Castle are on their way from Caiman (through Amazon).

Just realised that I've become a Herald. Means I have to start doing some talking.  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2007-05-31, 17:59:02
Thanks for the tip, Goran. I'll keep it in mind. Gotta listen to Ayreon first though. Human Eq and Electric Castle are on their way from Caiman (through Amazon).

Just realised that I've become a Herald. Means I have to start doing some talking.  ;D

Nicky.

Be careful with Caiman : it's not the best way to get cd's boxes in great shape since they don't use bubble envelops (don't know if this the proper term but maybe you get the point). The delivery is also longer than usual, but that is less annoying to me. Anyway, unless when they are the only seller, I don't deal with them anymore.

Nicky007

You're right about that, Bupie. I've received several hundred CD's and DVD's from Caiman, and in something like one out of eight cases, the CD holder in the middle is so damaged that I have to replace it. And it's also true that they are not among the fastest Amazon suppliers. On the other hand, Caiman are among the cheapest, and in the maybe six cases in which there has been something wrong with the CD, they have simply sent me a new one without further ado. So, all considered, I'm quite satisfied with Caiman.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

They have a really impressive catalog, indeed.

Nicky007

The first non-British&American group makes it into my list of Genius: Vanden Plas. Christ 0 is insanely good. Andy has a perfect English delivery, and he goes far beyond the basics of English. The other guys are masters of their instruments. The lyrics are poetic and engaging. The moods very differing. The production excellent.

Guys, this is true Genius!

So the Germans insist on making topnotch rock, and that's just great. (Gotta German Mum, so that doesn't bother me.)

I was so inspired by this album that I purchased Dumas' book Le Comte de Monte-Cristo (in French, Bupie, so we can parlez-vous).

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

johninblack

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-06-13, 11:47:44
Vanden Plas. Christ O is insanely good. Andy has a perfect English delivery, and he goes far beyond the basics of English. The other guys are masters of their instruments. The lyrics are poetic and engaging. The moods very differing. The production excellent.

Guys, this is true Genius!

You would have my total agreement on that. Sometimes you listen to an album and you just KNOW you still will be listening to it for years to come, for me it's one of those.

Nicky007

Interesting, Johninblack. Particularly Postcard To God has got me addicted; I have to hear it again and again. That song's simply got (prog) hit quality. (I just don't understand why they can't play such great songs in the radio, instead of all the miserable hit-factory trash they send. God, why don't people know better?)

John, you might be able to write a bit about earlier Vanden Plas albums, and how's Abydos? A year ago, I had enough money to simply buy whole catalogs (at least I allowed myself that), but now I really have to save. I guess that's what one could call proggie karma.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Appelmoes??

Hmm, I've seen Vanden Plas albums, but never thought of buying one, but know I will think twice when I see one in the store :)

My drawings on MySpace

Nicky007

Well, then start with Christ 0, Appelmoes. You won't regret it, for sure. It's actually quite similar to Threshold, a bit heavier, and more melodic imo.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-06-13, 21:17:04
Well, then start with Christ 0, Appelmoes. You won't regret it, for sure. It's actually quite similar to Threshold, a bit heavier, and more melodic imo.

Nicky.

*agrees with Nicky.  :D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Appelmoes??

The title is Christ O. Is it religious or anti-religion or something?

My drawings on MySpace

PH

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Thu, 2007-06-14, 18:18:08

That's what I was wondering.
A quick research gave me an answer: Christ 0 is loosely based on the story of the count Monte Christo.

There's also a song called "Postcard To God", but I don't know the lyrics to that one.
And a cover of Gethsemane, a song of the Jesus Christ Superstar movie.

But why the album is called Christ 0 (zero) instead of Christo is still a question to me.
It seems that a lot of bands are on the edge of provoking, which I absolutely don't like, but maybe I'm totally wrong.
Religion is "hot" so it seems. But very often in the extreme wrong way. I simply hate the things Marilyn Manson does (to give an extreme sample). He is just actively provoking.
That's so wrong wrong wrong. Free media isn't always good, you know...

Nicky007

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Thu, 2007-06-14, 18:18:08

Appelmoes, the title is actually Christ 0 (Christ Zero).

In my understanding, it's a very Christian album. The Vanden Plas guys are so intelligent that they naturally have searched a lot within i.a. Christian contexts.

On top of that, Dumas' Monte-Cristo brims over with intriguing religious and psychological content. At this point, having spent many hours over the past few days with my original French version, I can only compare this masterpiece to Shakespeare's Hamlet and Goethe's Faust, with regard to both content and dimension.

But Andy & Co. are too ingenious to just copy Dumas. Their main dramatic twist is that, contrary to Dumas' protagonist, in Christ 0 the man breaks entirely down, and cannot find his God any longer - Christ Zero. A terrible drama, and a tremendous album.

Hey, kiddo, stop asking questions and get the CD instead. If you're disappointed, I'll take a cart of apples with me next time Arena play in Amsterdam.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Friends, you might like to look at my listening profile again. I've added a lot of new stuff, like my fave songs, which could give you some good tips, coming from someone who's been around for a looong time; also an attempt at a definition of prog rock (for the hairsplitters); lists of fave singers, guitarists etc.

As I like using the abbreviation "i.a.", I'll explain it to you: It's short for Latin "inter alia", and means "among other things", and thus it has a different meaning than "e.g.", with which it is often confused. Just for clarity (which I like).

Implicitly I'm encouraging all of you to pep up your LP's, which (putting it nicely) could be far more interesting.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

And you Nicky, are a worthy addition to the Shattered Room! *horns*

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-07-24, 13:37:18
Friends, you might like to look at my listening profile again. I've added a lot of new stuff, like my fave songs, which could give you some good tips, coming from someone who's been around for a looong time; also an attempt at a definition of prog rock (for the hairsplitters); lists of fave singers, guitarists etc.

Hi Nicky,

I took a look at your shopping list. Here are my two cents about the albums I know :

John Petrucci: Suspended Animation  Heard and saw extracts on Youtube and liked them a lot (especially the slow-paced Wishful Thinking). So it's on my list too. Unfornately, JP website, the only official supplier for the CD, claims it's out of stock ...

James LaBrie: Elements Of Persuasion  Sorry for James but this is the worst LP I have listened to in ages. Sold it back without any regret.

Shadowland: Ring Of Roses  Definitively worth the try. Jigsaw, in particular, is a mindblowing song.

Fish: Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors  I prefer by far Internal Exile but it's still a good album. If you liked Marillion with Fish, you should like VIAWOM too.

Jadis: Photoplay Bought it when I was in a Jadis mood but it didn't convince me. Should give it another try, though.

Nicky007

PH, thanks for your nice compliment,  *horns* to you too, and Bupie, thanks for your extensive feedback. Discussing music and tipping each other is one of my favorite activities (well, more precisely my second fave, the first doesn't belong here (it's not a French site, Bupie)).  ;D

Yeah, I just checked up Suspended Animation on Amazon.com, and it's not there either. But the record company will have to make some extra copies. I mean, it's Petrucci ....

Re Elements Of Persuasion, I'm surprised about your take on it, Bupie. It got praised highly by Amazon reviewers, like:

Anyone who likes early Dream Theater 'Images and Words' and 'Awake' will probably enjoy this. It sounds more DT-like than their more recent releases, even though there are no other DT members involved. I'd say it's as good as those early albums, even without Petrucci, Moore and Portnoy.  - Mr. K. I. Fairbrother

I can understand the need for James to do solo work as he doesnt get much space to stretch out lyrically on DT releases, he is usually relegated to penning one solitary track on each album.... Buy this, its great!  - dagonlives

Did you give it the prog-obligatory three runs, Bupie?

Thanks for the other comments too, corroborates (we need some of these fancy words in the Room too) my desire to get the albums.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Proglady

I could post a review of a friend which likes "Elements Of Persuasion" very much, but it is in german.  ::)
If a reviewer dislikes the album doesn't necessary mean the music is all bad, because this guy is only writing about is taste and how the music appealed to him. The same goes the other way around.  ::)

Nicky007

Quote from: Proglady on Tue, 2007-07-24, 19:17:34
If a reviewer dislikes the album doesn't necessary mean the music is all bad, because this guy is only writing about is taste and how the music appealed to him. The same goes the other way around.  ::)

Right, Proglady.

> I could post a review of a friend which likes "Elements Of Persuasion" very much, but it is in german.  ::)

It would interest me very much. You could post it on the German-language forum in the Room. I'm fluent in German (and English, Danish, Swedish, and almost in French), so there is no language problem for me.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Proglady

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-07-24, 19:37:20
Right, Proglady.

> I could post a review of a friend which likes "Elements Of Persuasion" very much, but it is in german.  ::)

It would interest me very much. You could post it on the German-language forum in the Room. I'm fluent in German (and English, Danish, Swedish, and almost in French), so there is no language problem for me.

Nicky.

:o Wow cool, I only speak german and a little english!

Since it is only a link which is leading you to the review, I think it mite be okay here. Here it is: http://www.rocktimes.de/gesamt/l/james_labrie/elements_of_persuasion.html

I do have "Elements Of Persuasion" and will give it a spin now.  ;D

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2007-07-24, 17:24:42

Re Elements Of Persuasion, I'm surprised about your take on it, Bupie. It got praised highly by Amazon reviewers, like:

Anyone who likes early Dream Theater 'Images and Words' and 'Awake' will probably enjoy this. It sounds more DT-like than their more recent releases, even though there are no other DT members involved. I'd say it's as good as those early albums, even without Petrucci, Moore and Portnoy.  - Mr. K. I. Fairbrother

I can understand the need for James to do solo work as he doesnt get much space to stretch out lyrically on DT releases, he is usually relegated to penning one solitary track on each album.... Buy this, its great!  - dagonlives

Did you give it the prog-obligatory three runs, Bupie?

Nicky.

I gave it the three runs but it was extremely painful ...

I too felt sorry that James was not more involved in DT's writing process but after listening to EOP, I have a beginning of explanation ...

Speaking of reviews, here is another one taken from Progarchives http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=36490 : not from me but it sums up pretty well my feeling about EOP ... that doesn't sound AT ALL like I&W IMHO.

I read that some Roomers like this album and I know that most DT fans like it too. That's fine with me (and for James, I guess  :)) but I don't share their feelings on this one. Will be nice to have your opinion on it, Nicky.