News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Nicky007

Started by Nicky007, Mon, 2007-05-21, 13:11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2007-10-06, 19:42:39
What do you guys recommend of John Wetton's stuff? Do you at all?

-Paco

I can recommend Battle Lines. It is a pleasant album but don't expect to be challenged : this is very mainstream light rock.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2007-10-08, 14:38:31
I can recommend Battle Lines. It is a pleasant album but don't expect to be challenged : this is very mainstream light rock.

But very melodic nontheless!

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Bupie

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Mon, 2007-10-08, 15:46:01
But very melodic nontheless!

Tom

Indeed. Are the two Icon albums in the same vein ?

erik

No Man's Land is a recommended live album (the only Wetton solo album I have), but it actually contains little of his solo work. It does contain great performances of tracks by King Crimson, Asia, UK, by an excellent band with David Kilminster, Martin Orford and Steve Christey.

Tracklist

1. Intro-Guitar Concerto/The Last Thing On My Mind 
2. Sole Survivor 
3. Book Of Saturday 
4. Emma 
5. Tatras 
6. In The Dead Of The Night 
7. Bygosh 
8. Easy Money 
9. Rendez-Vous  6:02
10. The Birth Of Igor 
11. After All 
12. Starless 
13. Night Watch 

For more details here's the DPRP roundtable review.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

erik

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2007-10-01, 16:33:35
6. Octavarium  : very eclectic. Honestly, there is not one song on it that I don't like but so far, I don't see the masterpiece that others see in the title track
I agree with you, Bupie, on the title track. I regard it as DT paying an enjoyable tribute to their prog heroes, not as a brilliant new masterpiece in its own right. It is a bit too derivative to be taken seriously, in my humble opinion (do I hear someone say IQ - Harvest of souls?).
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Bupie

Quote from: erik on Tue, 2007-10-23, 16:17:31
I agree with you, Bupie, on the title track. I regard it as DT paying an enjoyable tribute to their prog heroes, not as a brilliant new masterpiece in its own right. It is a bit too derivative to be taken seriously, in my humble opinion (do I hear someone say IQ - Harvest of souls?).

I am ashamed to confess that I haven't  listened to Harvest of Souls yet because Dark Matter is still on my "maybe I'll buy it someday" list ...  :-[

PH

Well, buy it!!*
It is worth your money and you'll like it if you like Arena. Dark Matter is dark indeed.

-Paco

*You hear this recommendation by someone who is very careful about buying something.

erik

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2007-10-23, 17:02:46
I am ashamed to confess that I haven't  listened to Harvest of Souls yet because Dark Matter is still on my "maybe I'll buy it someday" list ...  :-[
Harvest Of Souls is a cool track, but I prefer the originals, i.e. Supper's Ready and Heart Of The Sunrise! ;)
Anyway, Dark Matter is definitely a recommended album!
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

johninblack

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2007-10-23, 19:15:11

*You hear this recommendation by someone who is very careful about buying something.

Not as carefull as me ;D and I say 'what are you waiting for....BUY IT'

The cover art alone is worth the money ;D ;D

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2007-10-23, 19:15:11
Well, buy it!!*
It is worth your money and you'll like it if you like Arena. Dark Matter is dark indeed.
-Paco

Quote from: johninblack on Thu, 2007-10-25, 14:15:39
Not as carefull as me ;D and I say 'what are you waiting for....BUY IT'
The cover art alone is worth the money ;D ;D

Quote from: erik on Thu, 2007-10-25, 11:41:13
Harvest Of Souls is a cool track, but I prefer the originals, i.e. Supper's Ready and Heart Of The Sunrise! ;)
Anyway, Dark Matter is definitely a recommended album!

OK, OK, enough, guys, I am gonna break my wallet once again. Anyway, considering my avatar, this seems natural ...

Oh, by the way, I just understood how the multi-quote works. Cool, but it took me quite a long time  ;D

Nicky007

Just added the list "Favorite albums" to my LP.

This list will naturally be subject to most changes.

Realised that SyX's Paradise Lost is real high up on the list. Just got blown away by it, whooo !

Hey guys, how about being more forthcoming with your LP's ? It's always interesting to see what's up at the moment with fellow roomies.

And we also still have our thread "Which groups are prog?". Hey Erik, come back ! Guys, it's hard work, but isnt hard work the most gratifying ?  ;D  (Hear a guy of German heritage talkin here)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2007-12-07, 14:09:47

Hey guys, how about being more forthcoming with your LP's ? It's always interesting to see what's up at the moment with fellow roomies.

Nicky.

It would take me several days of work to enter my collection ... There is even a Ten album in it, that shows how wide the range is  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Fri, 2007-12-07, 14:22:08
There is even a Ten album in it, that shows how wide the range is  ;D

Or should we say "qualified", Bupie ?  ;D

>It would take me several days of work to enter my collection ...

Nobody wants to know about all your goofy teenage albums, just the creme de la creme, Bupsie.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

I'v seen so many recoms of Sonata Arctica, i.a. from Appy, that I'm now thinking of buying a CD by them.

Is there anyone here who can give me a characterisation of their albums?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

So I take it that nobody here likes SA, or if there is, it's supposed to remain a secret forever  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

johninblack

Nicky007

Thanks, John. I already was there. Gave me a bit of an impression. However, it's always nice to get characterisations from fellow proggies who know what they're talkin about.

Strangely we're only 4-5 people around here who make the effort to deliver characterisations of bands and albums. I thought that that would be one of the most interesting activities in a place like the Room. But maybe birthday and Christmas wishes are more interesting for most people here  ???

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-12-26, 10:25:47
Thanks, John. I already was there. Gave me a bit of an impression. However, it's always nice to get characterisations from fellow proggies who know what they're talkin about.

Strangely we're only 4-5 people around here who make the effort to deliver characterisations of bands and albums. I thought that that would be one of the most interesting activities in a place like the Room. But maybe birthday and Christmas wishes are more interesting for most people here  ???

Nicky.

Okay, Nicky. Since you ask.  ;)

I'm not worth as an reviewer when it comes to Sonata Arctica. The reason is quite simple: Don't like their music. It simply isn't my cup of tea. Tried them once, several times actually but it really doesn't click.
The same goes for bands like Blind Guardian for instance. Have two albums of them, their latest and about Middle Earth (too lazy to check for the titles. sorry  :-[) but although i somewhat like the latter it isn't 'me' anymore.

I guess i could've like them when i was about twenty or so, because back then i was a real metal head but times have changed i guess.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Thanks, Mad. I already had a feeling that SA might not be my thing, and your opinion confirms it. So iac I'll let it rest.

I agree with you on Blind Guardian. A friend of mine recommended Impressions, which I then bought. It's good, but not good enough for me to pursue BG further.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2007-12-26, 16:33:08
Thanks, Mad. I already had a feeling that SA might not be my thing, and your opinion confirms it. So iac I'll let it rest.

I agree with you on Blind Guardian. A friend of mine recommended Impressions, which I then bought. It's good, but not good enough for me to pursue BG further.

Nicky.

Hi Nicky,

Since I am in a symphonic metal phase and I have explored all the main female fronted bands in this area, I'm gonna take a look at SA and I will let you know what I think of them. So far, songs like White pearl, black ocean or Kingdom of heaven seem rather interesting ...

But I can understand what Maddox means when he says  "when I was twenty or so"  :)

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2008-02-07, 11:51:09
Since I am in a symphonic metal phase and I have explored all the main female fronted bands in this area, I'm gonna take a look at SA and I will let you know what I think of them. So far, songs like White pearl, black ocean or Kingdom of heaven seem rather interesting ...

I will welcome your take on SA, Bups. While you're at it, take a look at Stratovarius too. Some people claim that they're more prog than SA.

I just purchased After Forever's latest self-titled album. (Yeah, sometimes there's a windfall  ;) ) Looks promising.

But not that I'l let the dames seduce me more in this direction; I aint French  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Just finished writing up my profile at Amazon, so if you wanna know more bout a real prog weirdo, then here it is guys:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A88MRQ0UXD16Y

Planning to write some more Amazon reviews and try help promote criminally ignored talent like Arena and Ten.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Hm, this did it (Amazon.com, the reviewers alias is It's Me, "Really"):

"Steve Lukather:  Ever Changing Times

Lukather's Best Solo Effort So Far
It's Me, "Really" (Houston)  February 26, 2008

Not only Steve Lukather's best solo album, but this may be a contender for the best album of 2008. Steve Lukather finally puts all his skills together into one cohesive, song-based album. It's long on great melodies and skillful playing, and Steve's lyrics continue to get better with each album. It's rare that a player will hit his stride as a writer so late in his career, but that's exactly what Steve Lukather has done here. Features guest appearances from Joseph Williams, Bill Champlin, Steve Porcaro, Jeff Babko, Lee Sklar, Abe Laboriel, Jr., Greg Mathieson, and Lukather's two oldest children among others."

So Lukather's album found it's way onto my SL. Who would have thought that? (I might even end up getting a Toto alb, ooo). But I must admit that I did get caught already by the first video I saw with him. Thanks, Bups and Cap  :)

I'm posting this here, because I'm in an undercover competition with Paco for longest LP-thread. Dont tell him. I'm leading  8)

Nicky.

So you've come of age
Sure you can

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2008-01-06, 19:55:54
Most of us are a nice bunch of people. Some are... a bit... strange... But nice too. ;)

Take a look in the mirror, Paco  ;D

That's maybe cheating a bit ... but in love and PL-threads ......  :D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2008-02-28, 10:08:16
Hm, this did it (Amazon.com, the reviewers alias is It's Me, "Really"):

"Steve Lukather:  Ever Changing Times

Lukather's Best Solo Effort So Far

[...]

So Lukather's album found it's way onto my SL. Who would have thought that? (I might even end up getting a Toto alb, ooo). But I must admit that I did get caught already by the first video I saw with him. Thanks, Bups and Cap  :)

I'm posting this here, because I'm in an undercover competition with Paco for longest LP-thread. Dont tell him. I'm leading  8)

Nicky.

Guys, what's happening here ? I leave two days and when I come back everybody's got found of Steve  ???  ;D  Do you see that, Teunis ?

Well, to be honest, I don't find Ever Changing Times better than Luke or Candyman, his previous solo efforts. Not adventurous enough and with too many fading outros when a great solo is on its way ... But it's still a very good album and Steve, Abe Laboriel Jr and Lee Sklar are really killers with their instruments !