News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

Started by The Butterfly Man, Sat, 2007-04-14, 11:35:11

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butterfly Man

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet:

01 - Fear of a Blank Planet (7:28)
02 - My Ashes (5:07)
03 - Anesthetize (17:42)
04 - Sentimental (5:26)
05 - Way Out of Here (7:37)
06 - Sleep Together (7:28)

So I bought this album yesterday and let me tell you: Forget about everything that's been released this year so far, and buy this one without hestitation! It's going to blow you away, seriously ;D.

My Favourite tracks at the moment are Anesthetize and Way Out of Here.

*horns* *horns* *horns*

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

I also bought it yesterday!
And it's good indeed :o and it's gonna get gooder... ehh... I mean better everytime I listen to it again!

It reminds me of In Absentia in a way, one song sounds like a "Blackest Eyes 2".
And (very funny) sometimes it sounds like the soundtrack to a Command & Conquer game or Red Alert game to be more precise (the best computer games there are, by the way ;)).
That's funny because I emailed Frank Klepacki (the composer for the music of all C&C games) some time ago that he should listen to Porcupine Tree.
And now it seems it was the other way round... ;D

I don't think I have favourites at the moment already, but indeed Anesthetize is one heck of a track.

Buy it!

PS: I bought the regular edition, 'cause the edition with the extra DVD was two times the price of the regular.

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2007-04-14, 11:55:16It reminds me of In Absentia in a way, one song sounds like a "Blackest Eyes 2".

Hey PH, have you spotted the 'Trains'-reference in the second half of Sentimental?

Cheers, Tom

PH

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sat, 2007-04-14, 12:14:39
Hey PH, have you spotted the 'Trains'-reference in the second half of Sentimental?

Cheers, Tom

Indeed, it was Trains and not Blackest Eyes. Thanks!
I think it was very cool to hear that bit! "Sentimental" is "Trains 2". Very funny and very well done!

EDIT: I wonder why they did it though!

By the way, "Fear Of A Blank Planet" is a very dark and depressive album.
Both musically and lyrically. I think it's about the youth that gets older at an earlier age, but grows up at later age... If you know what I mean...

maddox

Thursday i received a mail that it should arrive within my mailbox within two days. But i haven't received it yet.  :(

That happens quite often lately.  :(

And i'm still very anxiously waiting for this one.  :'(
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

bellanova

I have it on order too from Amazon and wont get it until about tuesday or wednesday. But it sounds like it will be well worth the wait! It will be good to hear it live at the Forum too at the end of the month! Whos going?

Silhouette

I've ordered it, but for some reason it's bloody late! ???

I've managed to resist downloading it so far, though, still waiting for my copy.

Silhouette
"Unauthorized duplication, while sometimes necessary, is never as good as the real thing."
- Diablo Swing Orchestra

Peter

A really extensive interview with Steven Wilson can be found here.

What struck out for me as a technically interested person is that SW also thinks that many modern CDs are mastered badly - too loud, to be exact, sacrificing dynamics for loudness. There used to be a web site on the net calles loudnessrace.net, that had a huge list of badly mastered CDs, but it's not there any more...

For all interested in further reading on this issue:

Article "Dynamic death": http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicdeath.htm
An article in German about the "loudness race" or "loudness war": http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-42-85.html
wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_race
digital domain: http://www.digido.com/bob-katz/compression-2.html

Sadly, Rush are victims of that technique, too.. not that I listen to Rush anyway...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

jeffMc

I got to see Porcupine Tree last week in Seattle, Wa. They had just got off a plane flight from the U.K., and played a brilliant set. The whole "Fear of a Blank Planet" was played, and a number of fine tunes from previous releases. (I must say jet lag would have beaten the crap out of me). (Though there we some technical difficulties later in the set, they were marvelous)

That being said, I cannot help to be basically mesmerized with "My Ashes". The song takes me back to the 70s (ok, showing my age here) and hooks me. It is one of those songs that gets put into my daily playlist. But on the whole, I love the album.

Cheers

bellanova

Im so glad someone else has seen Porcupine Tree (ie Jeff.) Has no one else seen them on this current tour because no one else seems to have mentioned it?
Fear of a Blank Planet is definately my album of the year. There isnt a weak song on there. I thought Deadwing couldnt be beaten but it has been just!

Peter

My gig is still to come, on June 30th.... biting my nails :D
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Peter on Wed, 2007-05-16, 18:40:44
My gig is still to come, on June 30th.... biting my nails :D

As is my gig............June 26th in Eindhoven!  *horns*

Tom

frenchsting

unfortunately, they won't come near... The nearest for me seems to be Cologne  (edit : 300 km) :(