News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Gazpacho

Started by maddox, Sat, 2007-03-10, 23:08:19

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

Have any of you ever heard of the Norwegian band Gazpacho?

In the past i bought their last effort called Firebird which i thought was pretty decent but their new release Night is simply amazing.
Highly recommended to anyone who loves a band with ingredients of Porcupine Tree, Marillion and a touch of old Pink Floyd.

You can here a few samples on their MySpace Account.

http://www.myspace.com/gazpachomusic

Enjoy.  8)

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Teunis

Yes, 'Night' is a great album (simply their best) and I do like 'Firebird' also. I have heard the older albums, but they didn't impress me.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

PH

Let's bump this thread again.

I really am in love with Night by Gazpacho.
It's easily one of the best of 2007 so far.

For me 2007 means Neal Morse, Magic Pie, Gazpacho and Porcupine Tree.

Anyway, I haven't heard Firebird. Is it any good? I mean, of course it isn't as good as Night, but what does it sound like?

By the way, I think their debut (Bravo) is also very strong in it's own right. Short Pop-Rock songs.

Proglady

Quote from: PH on Mon, 2007-07-23, 22:51:24

By the way, I think their debut (Bravo) is also very strong in it's own right. Short Pop-Rock songs.

:o To my opinion "Bravo" sounds pretty close to Marillion.

PH

Yes you're right indeed! Marillion nowadays is also very good Pop-Rock! ;)

Proglady

By the way, "Night" is the Album which I still need to buy, I have the others.  ;)

The Butterfly Man

I am familiar with Gazpacho's music and I really enjoy it from time to time. But can anybody tell me why Night is being so hyped in progland? I'm thinking of buying it, but I'm not totally sure and I don't really know why...

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Sun, 2007-07-29, 17:22:21
I am familiar with Gazpacho's music and I really enjoy it from time to time. But can anybody tell me why Night is being so hyped in progland? I'm thinking of buying it, but I'm not totally sure and I don't really know why...

Tom

Anyone??? :-\
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

Why it is being so hyped in progland...

I think that's because it is so good, probably...?
What else!

There are 5 songs on it and it is meant to be played in total darkness with a headphone and absolute concentration.

You'll love it!

erik

Saw Gazpacho live again last week (together with It Bites, which I had been looking forward to but did not enjoy because the sound was way too LOUD, not a good introduction), they are such a great band!

My first introduction was when I saw them supporting Marillion on the Marbles tour. Then I thought they were OK, but wasn't really triggered. When I saw them again opening for Marillion at their Christmas Tour I was totally blown away, especially by the newer Firebird material, and I bought that album and When Earth Lets Go at the gig. Really got hooked on them from then on.

Night is my favourite release of 2007 and their best album. Very trippy and mesmerizing, indeed a great headphones album. Check out the review on DPRP. They played almost all of it last week, awesome. They also played a great new track Tic Toc, that hasn't been recorded yet, continues the direction they've taken with Night, but a bit heavier and even more symphonic. Firebird is my second favourite of their catalogue, especially love the opening track Vulture. Bravo (the title track!) and When Earth Lets Go (117!) are also very good.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Proglady

Quote from: erik on Thu, 2008-07-24, 15:00:59
Saw Gazpacho live again last week (together with It Bites, which I had been looking forward to but did not enjoy because the sound was way too LOUD, not a good introduction), they are such a great band!

So you where at the Loreley? I was there too and didn't think that the sound was to loud.

erik

Quote from: Proglady on Thu, 2008-07-24, 15:16:34
So you where at the Loreley? I was there too and didn't think that the sound was to loud.
Ah, no, not at the Loreley, I saw them here in Holland the 18th (prog palace the Boerderij - Zoetermeer).  I suppose I will check out When The Lights Come Down that may serve as a better introduction to their music than this gig was. I'm still curious about this band especially now John M has joined them.

Did you enjoy the festival? Heard good things about it from JJII who was there.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Teunis

From the Gazpacho website:

"March Of Ghosts" is the band's follow-up to "Missa Atropos", which was released on Kscope in 2011 along with the live album, "London".

While "Missa Atropos" was a long story about one person leaving everything behind, "March of Ghosts" is a collection of short stories.

The idea was to have the lead character spend a night where all these ghosts (dead and alive) would march past him to tell their stories. Characters include Haitian war criminals, the crew of the Marie Celeste, a returning American WWI soldier who finds himself in 2012 and the ghost of an English comedy writer who was wrongly accused of treason.

They are short stories. They are a march of ghosts. They are tales that need to be told. And these tales can be heard from February 27th 2012.

Really looking forward to this one!

PH

Sounds good!

I have "Night" and like that one a lot. I also listened to "Tick Tock" a few times which was nice too, but never got around to buying it. "Missa Atropos" passed me by entirely. But Gazpacho sure knows how to captivate.

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2011-12-21, 20:11:35
I have "Night" and like that one a lot. I also listened to "Tick Tock" a few times which was nice too, but never got around to buying it. "Missa Atropos" passed me by entirely. But Gazpacho sure knows how to captivate.
'Tick Tock' and 'Night' are my favourites. At first I was a bit disappointed by 'Missa Atropos', but after experiencing it live it came to life, now I love it. Very curious what 'March of Ghosts' will bring.

Teunis

The lucky reviewer of this website had already the chance to listen to the new album:
http://www.ytsejam.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=2008

An interesting read, now looking forward even more. And ....... ticket booked for the gig on 30th March in Den Bosch 8).

Teunis

New album 'Demon' to be released on 17th March. Very much looking forward to it. And a refurbished website which looks great: have a look.

Teunis

News from Gazpacho, copied/pasted from their Facebook page:

Joy to the world and Merry Christmas
is wished to each and every one of you from the gazpacho headquarters, where the stockings are filled with twelve athletic manly legs, tapping in time to the guilty musical pleasures of our new live album, which is now mastered and waiting to come out of the closet on a hard disc, somewhere in the cellars of the sonovo mastering empire.
A small sample of it should appear in or near this post if Santa (Fido) manages to sort out the technical challenge of getting it up. On the page I mean!
The DVD is also done and all in all I am very proud of how good it sounds and looks.
You must all be sure to buy one when it is released, I think a lot of the songs come out better live than on the albums and I'm sure you'll agree when you hear it. More real if you get what I mean. Not to mention that all you poor folks who are geographically challenged in attending gaz gigs, can actually get the full experience without even leaving your house. Just stock up on beer, wine and cigs and turn up the volume.
Myself, I have been following the adage that idle hands do the devils work and have kept mine very busy working on the new album, which will be a triumph for our common cause. So far it looks like it will include a gospel choir, a classical choir and a music archaeologist who will be playing yesterday's dinner in the form of sheep bones and ten thousand year old singing stones, that were used in stone age religious rituals. It might also feature the band itself if we manage to squeeze in somewhere. What a season of hope and glory.
The Tick Tock remaster is also done, and it includes a song that was dropped from the original album called "independence day". Its an up tempo groovy piece and only god knows why we dropped it. We had to re-record it of course as it didn't have any finished lyrics and was very sloppily recorded when we made it, but now it shines like the wind as they say. Bon appetit connoisseur's of that period!
I am very pleased to see our old buddy the Demon, get so much positive feedback from all over. The success of that album proves that there are listeners who are interested and prepared to go the extra mile with more challenging material and we all thank you profusely for doing so because it is so much more interesting to write and work with.
I also think the sheer amount of "regular" music being produced has that market pretty much covered so I doubt we could add much to the pot anyway, better we make the special stuff no?
So that's the news this Christmas. May the winter sun shine upon you all.
And don't forget; a stranger is just a friend you haven't met.
Unless it's John Wayne Gacy.
Love from the gazpacho troupe of merry minstrels.

maddox

About the Tick Tock remaster:  8) 8) 8)

PH

Will I finally be able tot complete my Gazpacho collection? The best album, according to some. Excited!

Teunis

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2014-12-16, 21:04:11
Will I finally be able tot complete my Gazpacho collection? The best album, according to some. Excited!
At last, you can ;). To be released on 12th February. Including 1 bonus track.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/454/7182/

PH

Ah fantastic! This time I will not hesitate and just buy the album.

maddox

Quote from: Teunis on Sun, 2016-01-10, 21:24:31
At last, you can ;). To be released on 12th February. Including 1 bonus track.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/454/7182/

Finally!!!!!  *horns* *horns* *horns*