News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Newbie question: Which album should I buy first?

Started by Biscuit, Fri, 2007-01-05, 16:07:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Biscuit

Hi everyone, I've enjoyed reading comments on this forum & signed-up to ask this question.

I've recently noticed John Mitchell's work after the reforming of It Bites. I've been following his work over the past few months buying Kino - Picture & Frost - Milliontown. I'd like to buy some Arena albums & I'd appreciate some recommendations of which album I should buy first.

My musical tastes are bands like Yes, Genesis, It Bites, Kino, Frost, Evanescence... current fav albums are Frost - Milliontown, Evanescence - Fallen & Kino - Picture.

Peter

I'd recommend you to buy the last three albums (Pepper's Ghos, Contagion, Immortal?) at once. If that's beyond your budget, just go for "Pepper's Ghost". You will soon buy the others anyway :)

Welcome to this place, by the way, and a happy new year!
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Biscuit

Thanks for the welcome & for your advice.  :)

I'll try "Pepper's Ghost" first, if I don't like it, it'll be your fault!  ;D  ;)

johninblack

That seems to be the usual pattern, buy one then buy the rest!

JJ II

QuoteI'll try "Pepper's Ghost" first, if I don't like it, it'll be your fault!   

... yes, and then you'll buy Contagion and if you don't like that one either, you'll buy The Visitor and if you don't like that one, we'll have your account deleted  ;D

Peter

Quote from: JJ II on Mon, 2007-01-08, 13:38:44

... yes, and then you'll buy Contagion and if you don't like that one either, you'll buy The Visitor and if you don't like that one, we'll have your account deleted  ;D

which will most certainly NEVER EVR happen  8)
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Biscuit

Ahh.. getting some good listening done!

I've added to Pepper's Ghost by buying Contagion which I like slightly better. I think I prefer the vocals .. less Marillion'ish, which was an initial put-off on the first listening, still early days though. I need another few days of listening.

Also what is it with Contagium/Contagious, are they remixes?

So which next?  8)

Appelmoes??

Contagious/ium have songs that weren't put on the final album because the guys didn't want a double cd. Each has one remix song, but the rest is like Contagion. As a matter of fact, I prefer the songs on those two disc's even better dan Contagion, so I made my own Contagion Max by putting the songs in the right order. You can find the correct order on one of the two disc's when you put it in your pc. My advice is to buy those two aswell to fully appreciate Contagion.
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

bellanova

I did my own Contagion max too. It adds to the enjoyment of an excellent albums and makes Clives story totally complete. I guess alot of people have done this. I dont think Arena need to bring out their own Contagion Max. Just concentrate on giving us a new album instead! Although of course they would generate more revenue im sure if they did bring it out!!

PH

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Fri, 2007-01-12, 18:15:12As a matter of fact, I prefer the songs on those two disc's even better dan Contagion

I wouldn't go as far as that, because Contagion has more songs, but indeed, this SHOULD HAVE BEEN a double disc... Too bad the band wasn't sure about it at first.

maddox

I'm going to make a Max myself too and indeed it would've been better, in my view that is, if Contagion was a double album but the Arena boys made it clear that it isn't their policy to make double albums. Well, unless it's a live album.  ::) Agree or not, i respect that choice.

And it's just a matter of time before the real 'MAX' will see the light of day.  ;D

Clive is such a busy man.  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Biscuit

Thanks everyone

I'll get the 2 Contagion EPs next.  :)

johninblack

Quote from: Biscuit on Fri, 2007-01-12, 20:53:30
Thanks everyone

I'll get the 2 Contagion EPs next.  :)

You will end up like the rest of us getting the lot.

PH

Quote from: johninblack on Sat, 2007-01-13, 14:04:15

You will end up like the rest of us getting the lot.

Hahaha :D
It happened to all of us! ;)

Whoops... except for me... I still don't have Contagion and the EP's legally... :-[ Still anxiously waiting for Contagion The Max...... And I don't have Pride either...
But I've got all the other albums!!! ;D

Biscuit

Is the Max likely to be released?

Once my EPs arrive, will I be able to see the correct (full Max) track listing from the sleeve notes? I read somewhere that to see the details, you need to run the CD in a computer?  :P Following a terrible experience with a Sony music CD where I had to reformat my pc, I have never put an audio CD in my computer since (& never again bought anything from Sony).  :-\

Biscuit

Quote from: Biscuit on Sat, 2007-01-13, 20:41:35

Ahh... newbie question:
Exclusive merchandise; first and foremost our Cage CD's. Coming up: Contagion – The Max! This fifth Cage CD is the 2 CD version of Contagion with the extra tracks of Contagious and Contagium inserted, mixed by Clive Nolan himself. To be released in the first half of 2005 and only available at The Cage.

:)

PH

Hehehehe.

To be released in the first half of 2005... well... we're still waiting, but Clive says it's still on the to-do-list. He hasn't forgotten!
And as someone said earlier, it's better to have him focused on new albums (Arena, Pendragon, N&W(?, please!), Caamora etc.).

And above all that, it's his life and we don't want to push him in all directions.
Or at least, not too much! :D

Hurry up Clive! ;)

Hehehehe

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Biscuit on Sat, 2007-01-13, 20:41:35

Once my EPs arrive, will I be able to see the correct (full Max) track listing from the sleeve notes? I read somewhere that to see the details, you need to run the CD in a computer?  :P Following a terrible experience with a Sony music CD where I had to reformat my pc, I have never put an audio CD in my computer since (& never again bought anything from Sony).  :-\
It didn't present to a problem to me, so go ahead. If it does end up in a catastrophe, I'm sure it's a problem in your pc software, rather than the disc's screwing up ;)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Biscuit

I'm an IT support engineer.. it's not my end!  8)

You're not aware of the big problems with Sony music CDs last year?  :-\

PH

Yeah, Sony admits that this "protections system" wasn't a good idea, so they won't do it anymore in the future.
Rest asured! :D

Biscuit

Quoteso they won't do it anymore in the future.

Yeah, I always trust record companies & especially Sony!  ;D ;)
Some CD buyers in Texas and California can claim up to $175 each from record company Sony BMG as a result of a legal settlement this week.

Both states took action against the music giant over its "rootkit-style" DRM, designed to prevent PC users from copying music CDs to their hard drives.

The complaints allege that Sony BMG failed to notify consumers of the presence of the DRM on the outer-packaging, and therefore loaded unauthorised software onto their PCs.

Sony used software called XCP (Extended Copy Protection) created for it by British company First4Internet Ltd to prevent copies being made. XCP was dubbed a "rootkit" because it took over basic system level functions, then concealed its presence. The DRM compromised users' security and knocked some CD drives out of action. Uninstallation was only possible by sending a request to Sony BMG's customer support line.

CDs with the DRM had been on the market for several months before a security consultant described its nefarious technical practices. Sony eventually issued an uninstallation tool, and settled a class action suit late last year (site here).

The lawsuits also compensate punters for CDs encumbered with SunComm's MediaMax's 3.0 and 5.0 DRM, which "phoned home" - transmitting user information back to SunnComm.

Sony agreed to pay each state $750,000 in costs, and individuals can claim from $25 to $175, depending on the damage the DRM incurred.

The settlement includes some interesting new disclosure obligations for Sony BMG. For the next 12 months, such DRM should be clearly labelled on the packaging, and also:

In Clear and Conspicuous language, the range of computer system resources, if any, which the DRM software may consumer after installation when the CD is not in use on the computer (e.g., "between .5 per cent and 3 per cent depending on the configuration of your computer");

So the settlement doesn't prevent Sony BMG from trying such tactics again - merely making them more obvious, and these disclosure requirements only lasts a meagre 12 months.

But it's the first time we've seen such a Bloatware Disclosure - unless readers know different? ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/20/sony_rootkit_drm_settlement/

Biscuit

funkster

Well i am listening to The Visitor and the moment and loving that plus it has John Jowitt on bass

Biscuit

I bought Immortal & The Visitor - I really like The Visitor! Immortal is also good, seems to be played in an older prog style? Pepper's Ghost is now growing on me. My favourite is still Contagion, but I really don't like Contagious/Contagium, those two remixes are awful!  ???

Thanks for your advice everyone. How about the other albums? Is Edits another remix thing?

PH

Edits?

Nah, it's nothing special. If you wanna hear the Edits, just buy Pride.
Seriously.