News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Dad sees son's first gig - Shameless plug for a gig this Saturday

Started by Oliver Twist, Mon, 2006-07-10, 18:00:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver Twist

Bit of a long shot this but my son Scott's band are doing a set at The Square, Harlow on Saturday night as part of the Rock School project. He's played a couple of sets there before but this is the first time I've been able to go :-(

The fact that he told me about the previous gigs *after* he'd played there didn't count apparently

Boy, do I feel old now

OK it's not such a big event as the original ASIA playing in London this Dec*. but come on, everyone has to start somewhere

I even have a spare ticket (free) for one lucky punter!!

Cheers

Ian

*Be seeing you
web.mac.com/ianmoff  - iChat/AIM: ianmoff
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do your ears a favour - www.radioparadise.com

johninblack

You must be proud, are they doing covers or thier own compsitions?

Oliver Twist

Because it's part of the Rock School/Club thing they have to do covers suggested by their tutors. This week they are doing The Chain/Fleetwood Mac and Lez Oz/The Unicorns (can't Google that somehow).

Previously they've covered Peter Gabriel/In Your Eyes, Queen/Don't Stop Me Now, Clash/I Fought The Law. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I Fought The Law was a cover of a cover....

But full marks for diversity. If I'd suggested Peter G, I'd have been told to sod off!

Apparently, when they did the Queen cover, all the girls in audience were screaming for him* and he was throwing picks out left, right and centre. John Mitchell didn't even get that reception when he and Scooby played there with Charlie's band

Cheers!

Ian

NP Deadwing/Porcupine Tree - this band just gets better and batter

*Not always like that is it Clive?

More info: http://www.harlowsquare.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oliver Twist

NP Deadwing/Porcupine Tree - this band just gets better and batter

As long as you're eating pancakes!!

NP Oysterband - very English!! Now onto Landmarq - Lighthouse (a favourite of mine), Now Enchant/The Thirst, Joe Jackson/Jumpin' Jive - read his autobiography 'A Cure For Gravity'. Outstanding and so VERY on our plane .... Marillion/Assassing, Rod Stewart/ Mandolin Wind, Threshold/Paradox, Marillion /Holloway Girl. If you've not guessed by now, I'm on an iTunes party shuffle - some party :-( CSNY/Carry On, even if you don't like this you MUST accept that it has good vocals/structure. NO ONE (that I know of) today makes music of this quality - maybe Marillion.

Re: The Square, not really a prog sort of place although Tea For The Wicked and Ozric Tentacles have tuned out here. Check out the 'History' and see the list of people who've played there.

Newtown Neurotics are playing there again soon. Ha! Colin Masters (mate from school and the bass player) asked me to join them when I left The Artful Dodger Band in 1976. I couldn't get on with the idea of joining a punk band when I was older than they (the audience, and this was the case for most *punk* bands, it was just another marketing ploy - and still is ) were and pretending I'd never liked ELP/Crimson/Genesis/Yes. Why couldn't they just admit it and say they'd changed their minds? They all said that they'd hated this music and were just waiting for something else to come along - D'uh!

I find it very sad to see 50+ year old men pretending to be punks when they were too old the first time round!!!

johninblack

How did Saturday night go then? Did he do his Dad proud?

Oliver Twist

Quote from: johninblack on Mon, 2006-07-17, 12:58:39
How did Saturday night go then? Did he do his Dad proud?

Pretty good and yes!

Some pics here: http://web.mac.com/ianmoff/iWeb/Site/Rock%20School%20Gig.html

It was good to see so many teenagers (who generally get lots of bad press) involved with music. OK some of them might have been soap dodgers but you can't have everything

I find it strange to see kids with Sex Pistols and Led Zeppelin T shirts - who weren't born the first time round - not a bad thing though. I mean when I was 16 I didn't wear a T shirt with Glenn Miller on it.

Just proves it's not all about chart crap. Lots of military clothing about, I thought I was back in the NAAFI, not NAAFI prices though at £2.30 for a bottle of Becks as opposed to DM1.00  :(

Lots of small clones of Robert Smith as well  :D

Let's just hope Scott makes a better job of it than his old man did!!

Ian  *horns*

jorja

johninblack

PH

At first I thought you were talking about a band that was called "Dad Sees Son".
In fact, they could be supporting "Anyone's Daughter"...

Sorry, I'm very childish now.

I hope you're proud on your little boy. As soon as they have a decent website (with samples!!) give me a call and I'll check it out!
I'm very curious now, I've always wanted to be in a band, but I'm talentless...

Appelmoes??

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2006-08-02, 20:57:58
I'm very curious now, I've always wanted to be in a band, but I'm talentless...
Everyone can play gong!
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

PH