News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Why....

Started by gelert, Fri, 2005-01-28, 23:56:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter

Quote from: Xanxtuary on Sun, 2005-03-06, 13:58:46
Why do DVDs have to have annoying Regions?  Can't they just make them in PAL or NTSC formats, that would be much simpler.

I share this feeling. I heard rumours that most standalone DVD players can be tricked into playing any region DVDs...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Deenfan

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Sun, 2005-03-06, 13:03:38
In dutch it isn't :)

Not in norwegian either. It's the same length...  ??? "Kort" & "Lang". While we're at it, why is "Abridgement" such a long word? How come it's much longer than "Soul", for example...  :-\

Appelmoes??

Phoey! Then we have to go waaaaay back to the time when words were made up.

Neeeeh....
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Moonloop

Quote from: Peter on Sun, 2005-03-06, 14:09:43
I share this feeling. I heard rumours that most standalone DVD players can be tricked into playing any region DVDs...

What REALLY annoys me about DVDs is that you can't skip past all the legal stuff at the beginning, you have to sit and wait for it to play through as the skip button is disabled. At least with videos you can fast-forward past it.

Definitely a case of backwards technology in this respect  >:(
The brainwashed do not know that they are brainwashed...

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Moonloop on Mon, 2005-03-07, 09:06:17
What REALLY annoys me about DVDs is that you can't skip past all the legal stuff at the beginning, you have to sit and wait for it to play through as the skip button is disabled.
When that's playing I'm getting a drink, get some snacks, check the forum one last time and thén watch the movie :)

My drawings on MySpace

Deenfan

Hey, Applemoes???, that's good! I have a friend who don't turn on the tv until the whole intro silliness is done. It's a matter of principles.
It's perfectly ok that they put it there, but why aren't the "next" or "skip" button allowed to work? It's arrogance!

Another way to partly avoid it is if you're using your computer to watch DVD's. Nero allows you to choose whether it should start where you left off every time you put the same disc in. So, from the second time on, you'll go to that point, which may be the main menu. It won't help you much with rented films and such, though.

You could always burn a copy, thanks to my much prosecuted but never convicted viking brother, "DVD-JOHN"!

Deenfan

Ok, two things more that annoys me to no end:

1.When I don't spell absolutely everything correctly, down to the most petty detail. If anyone wondered, I was referring to Appelmoes??, when I wrote Applemoes???. If it happens again, I'll turn myself into a chicken salad.

2.The little pause that occurs when the DVD player changes layer. How completely incompetent and utterly waste-minded are these people? Just think of it: They managed to make the whole player, with all its technical brilliance and mind-blowing complexity... but they didn't bother to solve that minor, movie-experience-destroying, issue. What about a tiny memory of about 2 seconds, that would allow the player to make a seamless transition? Eh? How blind to details can you be, and still invent the DVD???? AAAAAAARRRRGHHHH!!!!

Oh, and do not see the two in any kind of relation. I'm not that into details, at all. Not more than 12,398573499% more than the average guy. Or 12,3985734989%, to be exact.

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Deenfan on Mon, 2005-03-07, 21:39:09
1.When I don't spell absolutely everything correctly, down to the most petty detail. If anyone wondered, I was referring to Appelmoes??, when I wrote Applemoes???. If it happens again, I'll turn myself into a chicken salad.
Actually, I'm glad you use ?'s at all in combination with Appelmoes. A lot of people 'forget' that >:( Why? ???

:P

My drawings on MySpace

Deenfan

I would use an ´or even an `, if you had decided that it was a part of your name. Can anyone argue? Is applesauce something you put on a slice of bread, like a marmalade?

Appelmoes??

And where would you put the ' 's?

My drawings on MySpace

Peter

Quote from: Deenfan on Tue, 2005-03-08, 20:22:39
I would use an ´or even an `, if you had decided that it was a part of your name. Can anyone argue? Is applesauce something you put on a slice of bread, like a marmalade?

Applesauce is something you eat with latke (Kartoffelpuffer, potato pancake) or rice pudding (Milchreis).

Appelmoes??

In the Netherlands you eat it with your potatoes and vegetables. Actually I'm not very fond of applesauce. Since I'm living on my own I have eaten it once. :-\

Isn't that weird?

My drawings on MySpace

Deenfan

I had potatoes with my dinner twice the first year I lived on my own... Was I fed up, or what? In Norway it's always "but you MUST have potatoes"/"It's not dinner without potatoes!" and all that shit from another generation. Just wanted to say that we may use "Eplemos" for topping on a slice of bread. Just thought it looked a bit like it, and Appelmoes, this time without the ??'s, reminded a bit about the word. ("Appelmoes??" reminds me more of "Eplemos??") -I'm insane. ;D

Moonloop

Back onto the "Why" track.......

If Man is descended from Apes, then why are there still Apes..??

;D

Appelmoes??

Quote from: Moonloop on Wed, 2005-03-09, 08:25:29
Back onto the "Why" track.......

If Man is descended from Apes, then why are there still Apes..??

;D
Probably some dumb*beep*'s who devolved back :P

My drawings on MySpace

Moonloop

Probably all Man Utd fans  ;)  ;D

Appelmoes??

:D There are some striking reresemblances between chimps and football hooligans... The way they climb those fences :P

My drawings on MySpace

gelert

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2005-03-09, 11:59:51
...The way they climb those fences :P

Er, that would be "The Grand National", and er,...those would be "horses"....  ;D
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Mark Jan

And some of those hooligan-idiots sounds like apes. Especially when a black player is involved.  >:(   Stupid idiots!
>:(
Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Wed, 2005-03-09, 11:59:51
:D There are some striking reresemblances between chimps and football hooligans... The way they climb those fences :P

gelert

Quote from: Deenfan on Mon, 2005-03-07, 21:39:09
Ok, things that annoy me to no end:

AN INTERESTING THING ABOUT THE HUMAN MIND...

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt

Chicken Salad to go, sir...?  ;D
Internationally Affiliated Member of the Federated Union of Conundrums, Kudos, & Eccentric Dialogue, featuring the Scantily Clad Radii Of The Ubiquitous Meniscus - our motto "Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana"

Peter

Appelmoes??

That an old joke :) But pretty funny ;D

My drawings on MySpace

Herben

Why, wat zal ik daar nou eens op zeggen, ik weet het niet.
Why am I, Why do I like Arena, it's a nice band that makes nice music so that's why.

Why is the world,
sometimes so dry,
sometimes too wet,
why are there birds in the sky
that sing songs like a band
Wel I don't know why
Walk along the Waterfall, watching as the world turns red
Wonder where the river flows, and the blood on the River bed
Poison lies to close to us, Reach across the salt and Sand
Moving Deeper into the Land

Herben

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Tue, 2005-03-08, 22:47:06
In the Netherlands you eat it with your potatoes and vegetables. Actually I'm not very fond of applesauce. Since I'm living on my own I have eaten it once. :-\

Isn't that weird?
Yes that is, maybe a grinded canary more tasteful, nice on the barbeque, with some saté or Mayo.

Herben

Quote from: Appelmoes?? on Sun, 2005-03-06, 13:03:38
In dutch it isn't :)

Why is every quote linked?
Yes the same lenght, so kort isn't shorter than lang. But I think the clue in english is in saying loooooooooooong and short, so long is a longer word than short why the quote is linked if you throw the start away it isn't linked anymore......