News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Smoke And Mirrors DVD

Started by Micha, Sun, 2006-02-19, 17:32:44

Previous topic - Next topic

willowroolz

Quote from: JJ II on Thu, 2006-04-13, 10:00:33
Just Mick? That's weird! Or the rest of the band as well?

No kidding: is this a real problem or a minor thing you won't notice if you're an 'average' viewer?
I noticed it straight away - as soon as Mick counted in Bedlam Fayre, so I think it's quite apparent  :-\

Yes, the rest of the band as well, but it was most noticeable on shots of Mick.

willowroolz

Quote from: Peter on Thu, 2006-04-13, 09:25:34
I noticed it, too. It went away about half way through, though, I believe...
I was still noticing it on Solomon but it didn't seem as pronounced as at the beginning  :)

Clive

Right.... I've just been checking this out.
It might be aproblem in the authoring part of the production, or iy could be a random pressing thing.
It seems to be out of sync by quite a few milliseconds (The sound track is running very slightly early).
Naturally it is more obvious when you watch the drums.
I have been in touch with Metal Mind, and we are looking into it now... we'll keep you informed

DVD can be a real pain to produce, and this one seems to be haunting us (just when I thought I'd seen the last of it...;)

willowroolz

Thanks for such a swift response, Clive  ;D

I hope it didn't make you turn the air blue!!  :D

johninblack

Mine is the same, audio about 1/4 second ahead of the video, but I was able to forget it most of the time except when Mick was in shot, then it became really obvious, but given the overall quality of the package and audio quality and video quality and content and everthing i'm not bothered by it.

saint_ade

Hi,
New to the forum, but a big fan of the band for many years. Joined the forum today to say that I've just watched the DVD and noticed the same sync problems on both the 5.1 and stereo soundtracks. I have two mid-range DVD players, both of which have no problems with any other DVDs and the sync problem is quite obvious, almost unwatchable. Have to say I noticed a similar problem with previous Arena DVD as well. I have just emailed MetalMind to see what they say... shame because it's a great performance!

PS...the weird thing is that the special features are perfectly IN sync...certainly an authoring problem I reckon... ???

Teunis

Yes, I have noticed it too. But it's not that annoying, it's a great performance. I have a Pendragon DVD on which the problem is worse.
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

HelenDo

I've watched about a third so far & have to say its superb. I didn't really notice the sync problem. I think I was just enjoying it too much.

Helenxxx

maddox

I saw the DVD twice and yes, i've noticed it too, but just like the rest of you, i don't find it very disturbing. And indeed, i also seen worse, so... *horns*

Great DVD by the way. The Reunion concert in Zoetemeer was also great.
Nice that Paul sings between the audience during A Crack In The Ice8)

MAD.

Ps. The first time i saw it i was a bit shocked. Rob wearing a ridicules wig.   :o :o

Though now i find it amusing.  :D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Subdivisions

In my opinion the sync problem IS a big issue. It certainly takes focus away from the musical experience and that can't have been the intention... I was just about to return the DVD to the online store from where Í bought it, but I suppose there's no point in doing that as the problem seems global. Let's just hope that Clive & Co can do some difference with the producers. The show is too good to be stored off in the closet.

Does anybody know if you can fix the sync-problems with some sort of software and then burn a backup copy?

Peter

Quote from: Subdivisions on Sat, 2006-04-15, 11:02:31
Does anybody know if you can fix the sync-problems with some sort of software and then burn a backup copy?

You *could* rip the streams from the DVD and hand-sync them with VirtualDub, but that's a real PITA. I wouldn't do it, even though I'd surely find out how to do it.... after hours....
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Proglady

I watched the DVD several times now and I couldn't recognize any sync-problems.  ??? Even if there is a problem, it can't be that big that you can't enjoy the DVD anymore  ::)

maddox

Quote from: Proglady on Sat, 2006-04-15, 21:27:31
I watched the DVD several times now and I couldn't recognize any sync-problems.

Well, although it's a tiny problem, when you see Mick it's kind of obvious though it's really not a big problem. As i mentioned before, i don't find it any disturbing at all.

Quote from: Proglady??? Even if there is a problem, it can't be that big that you can't enjoy the DVD anymore  ::)

I totally agree with you on that one.  ;)

MAD .

HelenDo

Yep, I've watched the DVD all the way through now and I didn't notice a sync problem  :-\ I'm wondering is it me - my husband always says how unobservant I am? Is it a "girl" thing, that I'm too swept along by the experience to notice?

Anyway, I'm loving the DVD. Just the re-union concert to watch now.

Helenxxx

Proglady

Quote from: HelenDo on Mon, 2006-04-17, 22:38:31
Yep, I've watched the DVD all the way through now and I didn't notice a sync problem  :-\ I'm wondering is it me - my husband always says how unobservant I am? Is it a "girl" thing, that I'm too swept along by the experience to notice?

Anyway, I'm loving the DVD. Just the re-union concert to watch now.

Helenxxx

Ups, I'm a girl too.  :D

I also love this DVD!!!

Proglady

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2006-04-17, 22:37:58

Well, although it's a tiny problem, when you see Mick it's kind of obvious though it's really a big problem. As i mentioned before, i don't find it any disturbing at all.

::) Hm, okay, but wouldn't it also be noticable by watching Rob's lips when he sings?

Peter

Quote from: Proglady on Mon, 2006-04-17, 23:14:34
::) Hm, okay, but wouldn't it also be noticable by watching Rob's lips when he sings?

Not that much, actually, and only if you look veeeeery closely...
Arriving somewhere, but not here....

Subdivisions

Well, none of my other DVD's have this problem so I'm still dissapointed  :( And, yes, it's still quite noticable regardless of who the camera focuses on. Maybe I should have my copy traded anyway. If it's a burn-related problem, maybe some copies are worse than others. Keeping my fingers crossed..

Clive

I may have some answers in a couple of days.... please bear with me, because I'm knee deep in rehearsals and programming, and practice, and recording etc.... but I'm on the case,.... promise!

maddox

Quote from: Clive on Tue, 2006-04-18, 21:02:44
I may have some answers in a couple of days.... please bear with me, because I'm knee deep in rehearsals and programming, and practice, and recording etc.... but I'm on the case,.... promise!

Take the time, Clive. We're patiently waiting.  ;)

MAD.

nobch

Hi, I'm new here.
I also have the sync problems with my DVD....
>:(
Arena Fan since 1996

JJ II

QuoteIs it a "girl" thing, that I'm too swept along by the experience to notice?

Hmmm... maybe. I have a couple of DVD's with this problem and my wife always says, 'well, I don't see it and if I did, I wouldn't be disturbed'. Problem is: once you see it, you see it.
I really hope this can be fixed.

QuoteGreat DVD by the way. The Reunion concert in Zoetemeer was also great.
Nice that Paul sings between the audience during A Crack In The Ice.

Great to hear! I saw some of this footage by a friend of mine (John Vis is his name) and I begged Clive to add some of it. Fortunately there were some more recordings by different fans, who were willing to co-operate. Regrettably not all in the same format. One of them had an excellent soundtrack we used and we used two different camera's. John did an excellent job, espcecially when you realize that he had to put every different shot/angle in-sync by hand!!

I am very glad that I didn't hesitate asking him and Clive (sorry, if I was a pain in the ass boys), but I think we all really owe a lot to John's willingness to put so much effort in it and to Clive for his trust that it would work out. After all, it was 'just amateur footage', that wasn't intended to be used at all....

Highfire

Well, I got my copy last friday, have seen it twice and...no syncro problems at all!!! :D (my wife was there, and she agrees  ;))

It's a great job, great sound, great extras, great concert ... I'm really happy!!!

Bye!
We have been chosen...

Stuart

The quality of the audio and video are superb, just the issue of them not quite happening at the same time  ::)
It seems to be several 100 milliseconds, and is noticable on the Rob's voice.

Crownie

I've had my DVD for two weeks now and, yes, I have noticed the sight out of sync with the sound but whether it is a 'woman thing' I am not too put off by it.  However, hubby is!  Most vocally so!  Good job I bought it for me to watch.  Like others have said before me, it is not the worst example I have seen.  But it is interesting to see that other girls/woman are less stressed about the whole thing then their men folk.  Is it something to do with perception?