Poll

What education would you say did you receive?

lower education
0 (0%)
average education
5 (26.3%)
higher education
5 (26.3%)
university / academic level of education
9 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Project: Average educational level of the Prog scene  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Valacar

• Broomstick
    • Progforum
Project: Average educational level of the Prog scene
« on: Sun, 2005-12-11, 12:54:11 »
Hello,

I am a German student of English- and American literatures, cultural studies and media studies. As I am as well a great fan of progressive rock music, I am by now working on a project comparing the Gothic scene with the Prog scene (if there is such a thing). One problem of my work is, that there is no such thing as a study of the Prog scene, while the Gothic scene (at least in Germany) is explored to some extent. If there is literature on Prog, its mostly about the music, a fact which is one argumentative aspect in my work. This is why I am launching some polls in this and some other forums in order to raise some statistical data so that my argumentation which will focus on my personal experiences mostly with the German scene but have some international references as well has some numbers to back it up.

If I can raise enough votes, I may even come back on that subject matter in a later project which could then deal with the prog scene exclusively, and who knows, maybe I will someday even be able to make a book out of it, but that's still just a fantasy.

So, I would be glad if some (or some more) could participate in the polls that I'll launch here. I'll count the results someday in January 2006.

Danke.[

O. K. , I formulated this kind of general as well - decide for yourselves. This question is directly concerned with the clichee of Prog as "students' music" and I want to see if there is something to it (today). If this question is too personal for you, just leave it out.

Danke.
"Slaying the dragon with my mighty Sword of Justice while drowning in the blood of my enemies and drinking huge amounts of beer!"

Offline Appelmoes??

• Sicko
  • "Eplemos??"
Re: Project: Average educational level of the Prog scene
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 2005-12-11, 14:33:31 »
Between average and high I guess, but voted average, since I went to "middle-schools" (Mavo & MBO). I'm just a lazy student ;D

Offline maddox

• Beyond Reckoning
  • No effects were harmed in the making of this sound
    • Mad's Last.FM page
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 2005-12-11, 16:37:31 »
Voted Average, but with all the courses i've taken, it's probebly somewhere between Average and High.

MAD.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Offline NijntjeRocks

• Sojourner
  • Nijntje Rocks!
    • Hadrian
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 2005-12-11, 22:29:17 »
Voted average, like all before me; I added to that with courses and alike and working actually on higher level
...maybe thats what people call a carreer?? ;)
Nijntje=Miffy. Original Miffy: (in Dutch)

Offline PH

• Beyond Reckoning
  • Before we're raised up He's got to break us down.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 2005-12-12, 19:24:19 »
I voted for 'High', because I attend a so called "HAVO" school.

The first two years I did "VWO" which is higher than "HAVO", but I'm REALLY lazy, I'm doing fine on "HAVO".
(I have no idea how you should call this in other language, I'm sorry)

Offline Appelmoes??

• Sicko
  • "Eplemos??"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 2005-12-12, 20:56:48 »
Hoger Algemeen Voortgezet Onderwijs
Higher Standard Continued Education.

In the Netherlands, most kids go to 'Basic'-school from 4-12. After that he kids will do a test that will indicate what level the kid is at, togheter with the teacher, the parents then decide what level of education the kid will follow. In the Netherlands there are several levels of education, and in years to come a kid can go up a level or down if his grades indicate this. This usually takes 4- years. After that you can choose to go to do a specific education. In my case I choose for Laboratorium Education on a medium level. After such an education you can choose to study even more by taking another education on a higher level.

In the netherlands we have a saying: 'An eternal student'. After reading the above, you can surely understand some people decide to study 'till their 30's ;D

Offline keyboardistmatt

• Sicko
  • Here's a thought in the rain...
    • Keyboardistmatt on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 2005-12-14, 20:16:56 »
I have a BTEC National Diploma, amongst other awards... :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Offline Appelmoes??

• Sicko
  • "Eplemos??"
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 2005-12-15, 12:48:52 »
WOW, a lot of smart people here  :o

Offline Bouge

• Broomstick
  • I love to slap my bass!
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 2005-12-23, 22:11:11 »
I'm still at school, so don't really know what to say....
I'm not overly fond of that frog. A 12-Gauge Shotgun springs to mind.