Author Topic: Project: Problem - what do I do with the "education-thing"?  (Read 15014 times)

Offline Valacar

• Broomstick
    • Progforum
Hello,

I am a German student of English- and American literatures, cultural studies and media studies. As I am as well a great fan of progressive rock music, I am by now working on a project comparing the Gothic scene with the Prog scene (if there is such a thing). One problem of my work is, that there is no such thing as a study of the Prog scene, while the Gothic scene (at least in Germany) is explored to some extent. If there is literature on Prog, its mostly about the music, a fact which is one argumentative aspect in my work. This is why I am launching some polls in this and some other forums in order to raise some statistical data so that my argumentation which will focus on my personal experiences mostly with the German scene but have some international references as well has some numbers to back it up.

If I can raise enough votes, I may even come back on that subject matter in a later project which could then deal with the prog scene exclusively, and who knows, maybe I will someday even be able to make a book out of it, but that's still just a fantasy.

So, I would be glad if some (or some more) could participate in the polls that I'll launch here. I'll count the results someday in January 2006.

Danke.

O. K. - now I have a problem. Since the international school systems greatly vary, I am searching for a sensible categorization for the different educational levels that we may have achieved. This is connected with the clichee of Prog as "students' music" - and I want to explore if there is something to that still today. So ... could somebody help me create a sensible poll for that? That would be fantastic, since I'll have the same problem in other international forums as well.

Danke.
"Slaying the dragon with my mighty Sword of Justice while drowning in the blood of my enemies and drinking huge amounts of beer!"

Offline Appelmoes??

• Sicko
  • "Eplemos??"
Re: Project: Problem - what do I do with the "education-thing"?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 2005-12-11, 12:47:43 »
How about lower, average, higher and universaty level? People can decide for themselves.

Offline Valacar

• Broomstick
    • Progforum
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 2005-12-11, 12:49:08 »
O. K. that seems to be a good solution.

Danke.
"Slaying the dragon with my mighty Sword of Justice while drowning in the blood of my enemies and drinking huge amounts of beer!"

Offline Appelmoes??

• Sicko
  • "Eplemos??"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 2006-02-16, 21:20:14 »
Do you have the results yet? (It's been long enough now ;))

Offline Valacar

• Broomstick
    • Progforum
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 2006-04-09, 09:28:56 »
Hello to all of you,

after having received a message from PH, I suddenly remembered that I had not yet given you the results of the data you all helped to collect. This has several reasons, as you may observe from my reply to PH.

Hello,

thank you for your message - after I finished my project about two months ago, overall interest was not too overwhelming, yet I must admit that I completely forgot to post it on "The Shattered Room". Udo Gerhards was so nice to upload the (almost) final version of my document (~ 40 pages) at http://www.progblog.de/uploads/01-Progressive-Rock-und-die-dt-Szene-Februar-2006.pdf. The trouble is, it's all German, I'm afraid, though you might want to check the statistics at the end. Unfortunately, the response in the International forums where I posted my polls was not really sufficient to represent a reliable comparative element to my national, German polls, although I have collected the data and it might be a nice idea to pick up that topic later on, on more international forums to get more reliable data.

I could translate the (German and International) poll data into English, if the interest is there, yet I'm totally unable to do that within the next two months, since I'm currently working on my B.A.-Thesis, having a seminar schedule more crammed than ever before and some remittance work that has to be finished until the end of May.

So, I feel sorry about being that inactive the last weeks, but that other time consuming stuff is currently more urgent.

I guess, it's just fair that I post this as a sort of general information in the poll section. Thank you for reminding me of it, I would regard it as quite impolite of mine not to share my data with you that helped to collect it, though I couldn't really come up with it in my work, as I said.

Best regards,
Valacar

So, I hope at least some of you may be helped with that, and I want to apologize for being this inactive lately, though I fear most of you won't be able to have any benefit from my work, since it's mostly in German and refers to the German scene, primarily. Yet, I want to thank all of you once again for you help - and maybe I'll be able to take up the topic on an international scale with more success at a later date.

Danke.

P.S.: I would have created a new thread for this - but somehow, I seem to be to blind to find the right button.  ???

Offline Appelmoes??

• Sicko
  • "Eplemos??"
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 2007-08-16, 16:58:45 »
Ah yes, ofcourse. How very polite of you to point that out to me mr f'ing spambot :)

Offline maddox

• Beyond Reckoning
  • No effects were harmed in the making of this sound
    • Mad's Last.FM page
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 2007-08-26, 13:39:05 »
We seem to have a lot of guests recently.

Too bad they're not the serious kind.  :-\
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Offline Nicky007

• Beyond Reckoning
  • License to live and let live
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 2009-05-02, 10:34:49 »
So  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Offline PH

• Beyond Reckoning
  • Before we're raised up He's got to break us down.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 2009-05-02, 11:45:06 »
So  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

That's before your time, youngster.

Offline Nicky007

• Beyond Reckoning
  • License to live and let live
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 2009-05-02, 12:10:49 »
Yeah, yeah, Paxi  ;D

I was just wondering whether anything interesting came out of this project. If not, maybe Cap should just remove it  :-\

Anybody have anything interesting to say on this matter ?

Don't know whether I'm interested in "social" aspects of rock. For me it's become a very select matter. I'v reached the point where I only really feel like sharing with very few people who share my passion - or even some passion for music per se.

Everybody nowadays "listens" to music in some sense - but I find that only extremely few have that real "dead or alive" attitude toward rock music.

Am I right bout that ? - or am I just gettin old ?  ;D

What got me goin on all this is that I just saw this interview with Phil Anselmo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-U3SpHZ7Uw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llf1VcDk6SA&feature=related

He got "it"  *horns*

Nicky.
« Last Edit: Sat, 2009-05-02, 12:23:46 by Nicky007 »
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Offline Manatee

• Sicko
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 2009-05-02, 12:15:32 »
Everybody nowadays "listens" to music in some sense - but I find that only extremely few have that real "alive or dead" attitude toward rock music.

Am I right bout that ? - or am I just gettin old ?  ;D

In some cultures, getting old means you're right by definition.   ;)

It does seem like a pretty small minority of people have a real passion for music, and there are even fewer people to share our passions for music with because not all of those have remotely the same tastes.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"