News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Manatee

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2009-04-03, 22:40:06
Make sure you avoid at least 4 of her albums. It works better that way. Especially "The Colour Of My Love" and "These Are Special Times".
Oh and you should REALLY (and I mean REALLY) try not to buy "My Love: Essential Collection".

I think I can manage that.  If for some reason I actually do buy this, as my friends, I ask that you put me out of my misery.  I'd do the same for you.
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Steve Jones

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2009-04-03, 22:40:06
Make sure you avoid at least 4 of her albums. It works better that way. Especially "The Colour Of My Love" and "These Are Special Times".
Oh and you should REALLY (and I mean REALLY) try not to buy "My Love: Essential Collection".

I wish it to be a matter of record that I couldn't have named one of her crimes, yet alone 3! ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2009-04-03, 22:46:49
I wish it to be a matter of record that I couldn't have named one of her crimes, yet alone 3! ;D

Yes, I noticed that too, but I felt it would be unkind to point it out since he was trying to be helpful.   ;)

PH

Wikipedia is your friend.
Or in this case partner in crime would be more fitting.

Steve Jones

Regards, Steve Jones

PH

Manatee

Malcolm?    ???

And to jump relatively back on topic for a moment:

On the Rewired Lamb, probably the most memorable moment for me on this first spin is the Lamia actually voiced by women.  It makes it a lot spookier, actually.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2009-04-03, 23:09:29
Malcolm?    ???

I looked up what Paco's graphics were all about.  Malcolm is part of it!

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2009-04-03, 23:09:29
On the Rewired Lamb, probably the most memorable moment for me on this first spin is the Lamia actually voiced by women.  It makes it a lot spookier, actually.

An interesting album, but not essential I suppose.  I like the big band/swing feel to some of the numbers, but I haven't played it to death.

Regards, Steve Jones

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2009-04-03, 21:56:07
Of course!
Celine Dion. ;D

If you guys listen to Coldplay, I have a right to tete-a-tetes with Céline.

And anyhows, I'm hetero  :P

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2009-04-04, 10:36:24
And anyhows, I'm hetero  :P

Well that excuse doesn't hold water as she looks like she came in third at the Grand National ;)

Stevie-Bob Jones
Regards, Steve Jones

Bupie

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2009-04-04, 10:36:24
If you guys listen to Coldplay ...

... and even Nightwish, at least Manatee and Steve  ;D

I didn't know that Celine Dion was so popular in Denmark. She used to be a huge star in France, due to Jean-Jacques Goldman who wrote her the album D'eux in 1995. This is the album with French lyrics that has got the most worldwide sales ever : more than 6,5 millions copies :o

I think this album is entitled The French Album abroad. I used to listen to it once in a while (and like it) 14 years ago.

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Sat, 2009-04-04, 10:56:11
I didn't know that Celine Dion was so popular in Denmark.

Now you're extrapolating a bit much, Bups  ;D

She is as popular in DK as she is elsewhere in the West.

In my case, her Power Of Love gives me a Rush, and that's pretty much it  :-X

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Quote from: Bupie on Sat, 2009-04-04, 10:56:11
This is the album with French lyrics that has got the most worldwide sales ever : more than 6,5 millions copies :o

A truly depressing thought.  I simply won't live long enough to round up all those copies and burn them ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2009-04-04, 11:13:41

In my case, her Power Of Love gives me a Rush, and that's pretty much it  :-X

I do hope you meant 'She (Celine) stoled The Power Of Love from Jennifer Rush' with that reply.  ;) ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2009-04-04, 11:15:16
A truly depressing thought.  I simply won't live long enough to round up all those copies and burn them ;)

Remember, you may burn copies for personal use!

Steve Jones

Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: PH on Sat, 2009-04-04, 16:09:43
Remember, you may burn copies for personal use!

;D  Paco, you are a visionary.  It's a pity you weren't around in the '70s when disco album burnings were popular.  We could've used the help.

Two more arrivals from last week's insanity:

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight

My first Hogarth Marillion album.  Bought it slightly used because the only new copies available were hideously pricey, and this is a bit of an experiment for me.  Looks to be in fine shape, so I may do more of that in the future.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Sat, 2009-04-04, 23:25:43
;D  Paco, you are a visionary.  It's a pity you weren't around in the '70s when disco album burnings were popular.  We could've used the help.

Eh?  Were popular?  Nobody told me we were supposed to have stopped! ;D

Quote from: Manatee on Sat, 2009-04-04, 23:25:43
My first Hogarth Marillion album.  Bought it slightly used because the only new copies available were hideously pricey, and this is a bit of an experiment for me.  Looks to be in fine shape, so I may do more of that in the future.

Most Marillion stuff is easily available direct from the band if you're struggling.  A lot of them are 2CD versions now with a bonus disc:

http://www.marillion.com/music/albums/aos.htm

Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2009-04-04, 23:44:18
http://www.marillion.com/music/albums/aos.htm

Good grief, those lads have been busy.  Not that I'm complaining, but why are the prices lower outside of Europe?

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Sat, 2009-04-04, 23:56:09
Not that I'm complaining, but why are the prices lower outside of Europe?

At a guess, that's probably the absence of VAT (value added tax) but I might be talking out of my AoS...
Regards, Steve Jones

The Butterfly Man

Yesterday I bought Tick Tock by Gazpacho. After only a couple of listens it seems quite a good album!

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Quote from: maddox on Sat, 2009-04-04, 15:18:23
I do hope you meant 'She (Celine) stole The Power Of Love from Jennifer Rush' with that reply.  ;) ;D

In the sense that Jeff Buckley 'stole' Halleluja from Leonard Cohn, and Phil Collins 'stole' I Can't Stop Loving You from Leo Sayer - and they made classic masterpieces outto'm  *horns*

Btw any of ya guys actually listened to Céline's Power Of Love ?  Sometimes you guys can be terrible sophists  ::) ;D

I'v actually stopped thinkin bout whether somethin is "right" or "wrong" in some normative sense. If I hear somethin that sounds good, then I gopher it. Stopped thinkin bout other people's opes after my "metamorphosis" some five years ago. Now I just have to make out somehow materially, and then spend as much time as possible on the good things in life, like those three songs  *horns*

... and of course Guinness and Marmite, but not mixed together (not much for "fusion")

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Mon, 2009-04-06, 08:19:18
Yesterday I bought Tick Tock by Gazpacho. After only a couple of listens it seems quite a good album!

Tom

It seems you're quite right.  ;)

maddox

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2009-04-06, 08:40:33

Btw any of ya guys actually listened to Céline's Power Of Love ?  Sometimes you guys can be terrible sophists  ::) ;D

More than you could ever possibly fathom.  ;)

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2009-04-06, 08:40:33
Btw any of ya guys actually listened to Céline's Power Of Love ?

No.  Over the years English law has increasingly favoured more humane punishments, such as birching and the ducking stool.
Regards, Steve Jones