News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Yes, of course  ;D

If you hadnt bungled it up with

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-03-26, 22:21:12
... an British band ...

I would'v got it  :P

I just don't understand why you guys wanna listen to stuff like Coldplay when there's sooo much excellent prog around these days. I prefer to listen to the groups in my prog pantheon.

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-03-26, 22:42:28
... clever young Paco (CYP) ...

Is he the brother of Strapping Young Lad (SYL) ?  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-03-26, 23:11:55
I just don't understand why you guys wanna listen to stuff like Coldplay when there's sooo much excellent prog around these days. I prefer to listen to the groups in my prog pantheon.

To each his own I guess, but I think Coldplay is great! Especially 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head'. 8)

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Manatee

Yes, of course  ;D

Think of it as having a piece of bread in between glasses of different wines to clear the palate.

Anyway, I think I'm allowed a Coldplay for $6 once in a while (that translates, I think to roughly zero euros nowadays), especially when I got an Opeth along with it.   ;)

Is he the brother of Strapping Young Lad (SYL) ?  ;D

I wouldn't rule it out.  Does he eat his beats?
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-03-26, 23:20:09
Anyway, I think I'm allowed a Coldplay for $6 once in a while ...

Let's just say that you paid $12 for your Opeth. That makes sense  :P

I'd prefer a hotplay with Céline  ;D

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-03-26, 23:20:09
Does he eat his beats?

No, he beats his eats. Ya gotta do that to get the darned cheese down  :D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-03-26, 23:32:13

Ugh!  I'd sooner cut my kn*b off with a rusty spade! :o
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Manatee

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2009-03-26, 23:18:12
To each his own I guess, but I think Coldplay is great! Especially 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head'. 8)

I have to agree with Tom here.  I own that album too, and I enjoy it quite a bit.  So far the new album seems pretty good -- some of it will require a few more listens to sort out (which is no bad thing by proggie standards), and I think the title track is downright superb.  Despite being guilty of the crime of popularity, I really don't think these guys are just standard pop like everyone else puts out.  Anyway, as Tom says, to each his own.  I'm content with my purchase, and I won't begrudge you your enjoyment of Michael Jackson.   ;)

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-03-26, 23:32:13
Let's just say that you paid $12 for your Opeth. That makes sense  :P

I would have paid that much willingly, hence Damnation being in the "pleasant surprise" category coming from the cheap CD club for half that.   *horns*

Quote from: Steve Jones on Thu, 2009-03-26, 23:38:05
Ugh!  I'd sooner cut my kn*b off with a rusty spade! :o

If you guys don't mind, I'm going to hold out for a third option.   :-\

No, he beats his eats. Ya gotta do that to get the darned cheese down  :D

Cheese is good.  Just ask Primus.

maddox

Today i bought the new album of Autumn, called Altitude.

The singer Marjan?

I know her.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

maddox

I just ordered the Deluxe edition of Pearl Jam's Ten.

Can't wait for the goodies.  *horns*

Manatee

Quote from: maddox on Mon, 2009-03-30, 21:25:06
I just ordered the Deluxe edition of Pearl Jam's Ten.

Can't wait for the goodies.  *horns*

Great album.  What extras do you get with the Deluxe version?   I got my (regular) version years ago since it was one of those rarities: something played on the radio here that's actually good.  :o

maddox

The original i had was with a few extra bonus tracks.
Must say that i haven't heard it for years now but it's a great album indeed.
They released the album though in three different formulas:

A: The Legacy edition (standard with nothing extra),
B: The Deluxe edition (2cd's with lots of bonuses and on top of that a DVD with even more extra's) and
C: The Collectors edition Box set ( with loads and loads and lots of extra's and a beautiful package but there's a downside with this issue: It cost some big cash. BIG cash.  :-\)

Read here when you're British
Read here when you're American.
Read here when you're a Dutchie

Read 'm and wheep.  :o :o :o

I was sane enough to buy the deluxe version of course.  ;D

Manatee

Wow.   :o

I have *one* of the bonus tracks -- State of Love and Trust -- because it's on the Singles soundtrack, which is, btw, shockingly good for a soundtrack.

Iggy

Manatee

Found some goodies in my mailbox when I returned from buying the Guinness Nicky forced me to go get.  ;D

Impressively quick delivery since I only had my most recent bout of Amazon Marketplace insanity three days ago.

Genesis - Foxtrot

Perhaps the best album ever recorded by perhaps the best band ever to grace our planet.  Of course I had this on vinyl, but with my full-fledged return to the world of prog, not having a readily playable copy of this was clearly unacceptable.

R.E.M. - Accelerate

The supposed return to form of another of my all-time favorite bands.  I'd only heard one song from it, but it was good, and I've gotten enough enjoyment from this band over the years that I'm willing to take a punt (U.K. variety again) on it.

Manatee

Evaluations of the above:

Foxtrot:  It's freakin' Foxtrot.  It's awesome, of course.

Accelerate: There one really good song, which I'll probably play about 600 times in the next month.  Other than that, I hope it's an album that grows on me.  :-\   On the plus side, after playing this, I went back and played  Monster, which I considered to be one of the weaker R.E.M. albums, and it sounded really good.  So I guess I gained an album I like a lot, it just happens to be one I already owned.   ???

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-04-02, 09:49:43
On the plus side, after playing this, I went back and played  Monster, which I considered to be one of the weaker R.E.M. albums, and it sounded really good.  So I guess I gained an album I like a lot, it just happens to be one I already owned.   ???

I kind of drifted off R.E.M. some albums back, but I've recently done some ripping with the hope that the ones I wasn't too keen on might now click.  I love it when that happens *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Thu, 2009-04-02, 09:51:55
I kind of drifted off R.E.M. some albums back, but I've recently done some ripping with the hope that the ones I wasn't too keen on might now click.  I love it when that happens *horns*

Me too.  They're up there at the very top of my favorite bands, but like Genesis four or five albums back, it looked like they ran out of gas around when they released Up. Thing is, they still managed to have one really good song, so you knew it was still in them somewhere.  At first listen, they've done the same thing with this album.  At least they let Peter Buck play his guitar seriously on this one, so they're trying.  The Designated Really Good Song (DRGS), Supernatural Superserious, also features the great Mike Mills vocal harmonies, which were always one of my favorite things about their music.

maddox

I also bought the new Blind Ego album by the way.

Teunis

Quote from: maddox on Thu, 2009-04-02, 14:54:16
I also bought the new Blind Ego album by the way.
That's a very good choice  *horns* 8)
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Iggy

I got Ring of roses by Shadowland

Manatee

Could you folks please talk about "music that sucks" for a while?  My wallet is having trouble keeping up with the good stuff.

Rewiring Genesis - A Tribute to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient (Deluxe Edition, of course, because I'm an addict.   :-\ )

I believe this completes my Devin collection unless I decide to go back and get all the Strapping Young Lad stuff and the Steve Vai album his sang on.  Of course, he's probably cooking up something else brilliantly twisted that I'll have to get...

PH

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2009-04-03, 21:52:39
Could you folks please talk about "music that sucks" for a while?  My wallet is having trouble keeping up with the good stuff.
Of course!
Celine Dion. ;D

Manatee

Quote from: PH on Fri, 2009-04-03, 21:56:07
Of course!
Celine Dion. ;D

Fascinating!  Please elaborate, so I can save more money by not buying more of her albums.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2009-04-03, 21:57:40
Fascinating!  Please elaborate, so I can save more money by not buying more of her albums.

You'll need a wallchart or a project plan to map out the order in which you won't be buying them ;)
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2009-04-03, 22:09:37
You'll need a wallchart or a project plan to map out the order in which you won't be buying them ;)

I'm not that organized.  I usually just fail to walk into a music store and don't buy the CDs as I don't see them.

PH

Quote from: Manatee on Fri, 2009-04-03, 21:57:40

Make sure you avoid at least 4 of her albums. It works better that way. Especially "The Colour Of My Love" and "These Are Special Times".
Oh and you should REALLY (and I mean REALLY) try not to buy "My Love: Essential Collection".