News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Sun, 2009-03-22, 19:19:19
Wow! Check out the cover for their new album!

http://www.insideout.de/catalog/images/presse/SAGATheHumanConditionSquare.jpg

That looks wonderful!
Makes me wanna try out their music.

I agree about the cover : really wonderful but about the music, hmm ...  :P

Saturday, I received In Transit (first live album by the band) and played it. I instantly recognized Wind Him Up and On The Loose that were long forgotten and buried deep in my memory.

Listening to the music and overall sound, first I thought of ... A-Ha (!), then of Human League (!), then of ... Foreigner (!). Basically, I find it to be a mix of new wave/AOR/classic rock, very soft and 80's keyboards driven. Not bad per se (I used to play A-Ha's Scoundrel Days a lot a few years ago but the guitars were sharper and more prominent than in Saga) but not prog at all.

But I think they got proggier during the 90's and 00's.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2009-03-23, 11:28:13
Saturday, I received In Transit (first live album by the band) and played it. I instantly recognized Wind Him Up and On The Loose that were long forgotten and buried deep in my memory.

Personally I'm not that impressed by any of the Saga live albums.  For me, at least, the studio albums are several orders of magnitude better. 8)
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Bupie

Why ?

I would say that the sound of In Transit is very clean and soft, not raw enough for a live album and the guitar really seems undermixed (that being less surprising considering that the keyboards player is the main composer).

But I don't remember that the studio albums I listened to had a sharper edge  ::)

Steve Jones

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2009-03-23, 11:50:15
Why ?

Don't ask me tricky questions, birthday boy! ;) ;D

I can't really put my finger on why, but the live albums leave me a bit cold.  There's a certain zest that's not there, somewhere.  Everything seems sharper on the studio originals, at least to me.

Feel free to disagree with me on this one as it is, after all, your birthday.  Tomorrow, however, you'll simply be wrong ;D ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

Bupie

I don't mind being wrong from time to time : I am so often right that I need those scattered flaws to light day-to-day moroseness up  ;D

Just unpacking Pendragon's Pure at the moment (yes, PH, you can answer "No, you are not"  ;)) :  brilliant artwork, really, and I hope for brilliant music too.

As a self-birthday present, I just ordered Francis Cabrel three live CDs boxset "D'une ombre à l'autre". I guess even Steve doesn't know this guy but he was/still is one or our most famous (at least nationally) folk-rock songwriters  8)

Steve Jones

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2009-03-23, 15:40:49
As a self-birthday present, I just ordered Francis Cabrel three live CDs boxset "D'une ombre à l'autre". I guess even Steve doesn't know this guy but he was/still is one or our most famous (at least nationally) folk-rock songwriters  8)

I've heard of Demians, if that helps?  ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Just arrived (how did we live before there was Amazon?):

Kamelot - Epica
Kamelot - Ghost Opera: The Second Coming (Ghost Opera plus a bonus mostly-live disc, which for some reason was $1 less than Ghost Opera by itself)
Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement

Biscuits notwithstanding, does anyone still doubt that I am Steve?
"What is that sound?  It's confusing, and boy is it loud!"

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Tue, 2009-03-24, 21:55:45
Biscuits notwithstanding, does anyone still doubt that I am Steve?

If you've only just got Rapid Eye Movement (one of the finest things on the planet that's round but not actually a biscuit) then, frankly, yes ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Tue, 2009-03-24, 22:31:21
If you've only just got Rapid Eye Movement (one of the finest things on the planet that's round but not actually a biscuit) then, frankly, yes ;D

I've led a sheltered existence recently.  I'm playing catch-up.  On the roundness front, I can think of something else that's roundish and better than biscuits, although normally it's Nicky's job to mention these things and direct them at Bupie for confirmation.  Hint: they usually travel in pairs.

maddox

Ordered and received: Votum ~ Time Must Have A Stop
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

PH

It's been a while since I bought a CD or DVD for myself.
Have I come to my senses?

-Paco

maddox

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2009-03-24, 22:54:55

-Paco

It's either that or you're broke.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Tue, 2009-03-24, 22:36:45
Hint: they usually travel in pairs.

Double CDs?  ;D  Which reminds me, did you get the 2 disc version of Rapid Eye Movement?
Regards, Steve Jones

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Tue, 2009-03-24, 22:36:45
Hint: they usually travel in pairs.

Must be tongues, cause women speak with two tongues  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2009-03-25, 00:02:29
Double CDs?  ;D  Which reminds me, did you get the 2 disc version of Rapid Eye Movement?

Sadly, no.  I was unaware it existed.  It may no longer be available (other than used).  Amazon's description of the album includes this:

The initial version of Rapid Eye Movement will be limited to 4000 units. It will be housed in digipack format and will feature 3 bonus tracks.

Assuming that's what you were referring to, the digipacks probably sold out.  Tasteless public notwithstanding, one would hope they sold more than 4000.

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2009-03-24, 22:54:55

Perhaps you've come to my senses since I seem to be buying enough for two people.  I'm enjoying the music, but I would appreciate the return of my senses at some point as the lack thereof can cause problems.

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2009-03-25, 00:21:35
Must be tongues, cause women speak with two tongues  ;D

I can hazard a guess or two, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that.  Could be I'm too young to hear it.   :o

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Wed, 2009-03-25, 04:19:44
Sadly, no.  I was unaware it existed.  It may no longer be available (other than used).  Amazon's description of the album includes this:

Hmm, confusing because you've listened to the Mighty Pink Floyd Bit which is on the second CD of mine!
See http://www.riverside.art.pl/eng/d_rem.html for full track-listing.
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2009-03-25, 08:07:25
Hmm, confusing because you've listened to the Mighty Pink Floyd Bit which is on the second CD of mine!
See http://www.riverside.art.pl/eng/d_rem.html for full track-listing.

It seems my version is some sort of hybrid.  In addition to the 9 tracks listed on Amazon, it has 3 songs under the heading "bonus tracks,"  which are 3 of the 5 songs on your disc 2 list.  The missing 2 are Behind the Eyelids and Rapid Eye Movement.  Well, I would've liked to have had the whole second disc, but some is better than none.  And you're right, Tom, the link Steve gave appears to be the contents page of the liner notes, and they credit Pink Floyd.  It's probably even on my copy -- I've played it but not read the notes yet.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Manatee on Wed, 2009-03-25, 16:59:35
The missing 2 are Behind the Eyelids and Rapid Eye Movement.

Nooooooooo!!!  IMHO, the track Rapid Eye Movement is their finest hour, utterly wonderful, and it beggars belief that it's missing.  It's the title track for heaven's sake!

I don't know if it's available for download anywhere, but it's well worth seeking out.  It doesn't appear to be on iTunes, though.
Regards, Steve Jones

Manatee

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2009-03-25, 17:26:36
Nooooooooo!!!  IMHO, the track Rapid Eye Movement is their finest hour, utterly wonderful, and it beggars belief that it's missing.  It's the title track for heaven's sake!

I don't know if it's available for download anywhere, but it's well worth seeking out.  It doesn't appear to be on iTunes, though.

Yeah, and Amazon doesn't even register that it exists (or any of the bonus tracks for that matter).  Perhaps you could etch it into a biscuit and mail it to me?  Of course, then I'd have to upgrade my PC to include a biscuit drive.

Nicky007

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2009-03-25, 17:26:36
IMHO, the track Rapid Eye Movement is their finest hour, utterly wonderful ...

Agree !  Fabulous !!!  Gets me as excited as I was 40 years ago when I first heard Meddle. Riverside's REM has very much a Meddle mood, but entirely up-to-date.

So this is a must for any proggie  *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

keyboardistmatt

I have just recieved Pink Floyd's 'Relics' album. :)
...Is this just a dream I'm in?

~~Drallion official Facebook page:~~
www.facebook.com/DrallionOfficial

<- Click the planet to go to Twitter @Keyboardistmatt

Manatee

Arrived yesterday:

Most of my order from the long-neglected (and they don't tend to have the sort of obscure stuff we like anyway) cheap CD in the mail club -- 2 "vinyl replacements,"  2 pleasant surprises (that they stocked them) of newer stuff that I can admit to owning here, and 1 very popular album by an British band that might get me voted off the island:

VRs:

Roxy Music - Country Life
Roxy Music - Avalon

PSs:

Opeth - Damnation
Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

VPABABBTMGMVOTI:

Coldplay - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

Nicky007

Quote from: Manatee on Thu, 2009-03-26, 22:21:12
VPABABBTMGMVOTI:

OK, did you expect us to guess what that means ?  :P

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Probably "very popular album by a British band that might get me voted off the island". ;)

Manatee

Quote from: Nicky007 on Thu, 2009-03-26, 22:35:53
OK, did you exoect us to guess what that means ?  :P

I expect YOU to, yes, since it's a page out of your book, Nicky.   ;D

And as I typed this response, clever young Paco (CYP) reasoned it out:

Quote from: PH on Thu, 2009-03-26, 22:40:25
Probably "very popular album by a British band that might get me voted off the island". ;)