News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Quote from: Steve Jones on Tue, 2008-10-28, 14:42:30
The line "I am Senor Velasco, I drink my milk with tabasco" under Sir Maddox of Mad's avatar is a Spock's Beard quote. 8)

OK, I didnt know that. Thanks, Jonesy, now I can lay me down in peace (or piss)  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

PH

Ok guys (and gals). I ordered something(s):

Frank Klepacki - Awakening Of Aggression
Marillion - Happiness Is The Road (2 CD Deluxe Edition)
Marillion - Marbles (2 CD Version)
Frost* - Frost* 2008 Tour CD
Frost* - Experiments In Mass Appeal (Special Edition) PREORDER (and one for a friend)
2 Frost* T-Shirts
And............

*drum roll*

*drum roll*

*some more drum roll*

*keep scrolling*

*almost there*

*final drum roll*

CONTAGION!!!

+ Contagious and Contagium.

Well, I guess it won't be long now 'till the actuall MAX edition will be released...... That always happens...

Oh and err... give your scroll finger some rest now. He (or she...) deserved it.

-Paco

maddox

Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Nicky007

Hi guys  :)

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-10-28, 20:34:27
CONTAGION!!!
+ Contagious and Contagium.

Congrats, Paco, now we can start taking you seriously  ;D

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-10-28, 20:34:27
Oh and err... give your scroll finger some rest now. He (or she...) deserved it.

It's mainly my f* finger that needs rest  ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-10-29, 09:07:03Congrats, Paco, now we can start taking you seriously  ;D

It's not that I haven't heard the music. ;)

Quote from: Nicky007 on Wed, 2008-10-29, 09:07:03It's mainly my f* finger that needs rest  ;D

Disturbing...

Nicky007

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2008-10-29, 09:56:56

Yaknow, Paxi, there's quite a big difference between Immortal? and Contagion. Just because you'v listened to Immortal? doesnt mean that you know Contagion.

:P

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: PH on Wed, 2008-10-29, 09:56:56

Disturbing...

Indeed, it's quite disturbing that you heard the music without having the albums in your possession... ;)

Oh well, at least you decided to buy the cd's after all! :)
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Draco chimera

My father received Happiness Is The Road one or two weeks ago.
And we just bought Pure.
Let your conscience decide !

The Butterfly Man

Last weekend I bought:

Nosound - Lightdark
Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns

Tom

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Tue, 2008-11-04, 23:39:37
Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns

I'v seen them mentioned several times, Tom, but I havent heard them yet. What are they like ?  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Still no sign of any of my previous mentioned cds... :(

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-11-04, 23:55:28
I'v seen them mentioned several times, Tom, but I havent heard them yet. What are they like ?  :)

Snow Patrol are a Northern Irish alternative rock band.

The band's first three records ('Starfighter Pilot', 'Songs for Polarbears' and 'When It's All Over We Still Have to Clear Up') contain some great songs but they weren't really noticed back then. When the band moved to a major record label they released 'Final Straw' which crossed 4x platinum sales in the UK. The band achieved worldwide success with 'Eyes Open', which sold almost 5 million copies worldwide.

Now they recently released their new album, 'A Hundred Million Suns', which is sounding very good so far (after only 1 or 2 listens).

If you want to hear what they sound like, I suggest you go to http://www.myspace.com/snowpatrol

You know, next to prog/metal, I can really enjoy some alternative rockbands like Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Saybia or Snow Patrol. When trying to get into this music all you have to do is have an open mind, and don't be put off by the 'commercial-tag'. When you succeed, there's some great quality music to be found! Or at least I think so. :)

Hope this is helpful to you!

Tom

Bupie

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-11-04, 23:58:38
Still no sign of any of my previous mentioned cds... :(

Maybe your father didn't have enough credit on his card  :D

PH

Quote from: Bupie on Thu, 2008-11-06, 17:39:04
Maybe your father didn't have enough credit on his card  :D

Yes he has!

I got the albums now! ;D

Marillion - Happiness Is The Road
Marillion - Marbles
Arena - Contagion
Arena - Contagious
Arena - Contagium

I'm only waiting for the arrival of Frank Klepacki's Awakening Of Aggression, but that has to come from America, that may take a while.
And Frost*'s new album.

Oh and HITR is much more awesomeness than I expected. The packaging is HUGE.
Boy oh boy...

-Paco

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2008-11-06, 15:17:05
Snow Patrol are a Northern Irish alternative rock band ...
Hope this is helpful to you!

Yes, thanks, Tom  :)

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Thu, 2008-11-06, 15:17:05
... Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Saybia, or Snow Patrol ...

Guess I'm the type who needs stuff that claws my insides.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

PH

Awakening Of Aggression landed on my doormat this morning.
This album by Frank Klepacki is a continuation of his other three albums.
I haven't really fully listened to it yet, but from what I heard, I must conclude that it takes the best elements of all three earlier albums.

More will follow as I plan to write reviews of his albums. I don't care whether you think I'm totally nuts, but I like this music. And I will not rest till all of you have at least listened to some songs on his official website!

-Paco

Iggy

Quote from: PH on Tue, 2008-11-11, 13:01:17
Awakening Of Aggression landed on my doormat this morning.
This album by Frank Klepacki is a continuation of his other three albums.
I haven't really fully listened to it yet, but from what I heard, I must conclude that it takes the best elements of all three earlier albums.

More will follow as I plan to write reviews of his albums. I don't care whether you think I'm totally nuts, but I like this music. And I will not rest till all of you have at least listened to some songs on his official website!

-Paco

Ok I tried. Not sure it is for me though.

Which track would you recommend?

PH

Iggy,

I can recommend the Dune tracks, especially those from the "Emperor: Battle For Dune" game (from Assembling The Troops till Fremen Alliance in the jukebox). They are sometimes very orchestral, sometimes ambient, sometimes even tribal, and are great for creating an eerie atmosphere.

Most of the CnC tracks are good. But there are a LOT of them and the styles are very varied. From Electronic to Rock to Hip Hop to Metal.
I guess you could try the "Tiberian Sun" soundtrack (from Approach till The Defence, somewhere halfway in the list) which is electronic and ambient. Really gloomy stuff. The "Red Alert 2" and "Yuri's Revenge" soundtracks (from HM2 till Yuri Score Theme) which are more electronic/rock/industrial with lots of samples. And the "Renegade" soundtrack (from Mechanical Mans Revenge till the end of the list) in which the heavy parts are more heavy, the ambient bits are more ambient and the most electronic stuff is even more electronic.

I particularly like the "Legend Of Kyrandia" songs. They are perhaps the closest to Yes, Genesis, etc. In terms of instrumentation. Flutes, acoustic and electric guitars, pianos. No Metal, no Electronica, but some Jazz here and there. Too bad there are not many songs. The song "Brandon's Home" is beautiful, as is "Timbermist Woods". "Fantasy Land" is also great.

I can't say if it's something for you or not, Iggy (or anyone else) since it's all instrumental and (more important) game music. Not everyone likes game music OUTSIDE of the game.

That said, I hold Frank Klepacki as (one of) the best Game Music composers around!

-Paco

bluepony

"Moonlight" (1st series) on DVD. YAY for vampires and dark stuff!  *horns*

(Oh, no, wait - wrong thread!  ;))

Bupie

Oh my ... You girl have too much free time  ;D

To please you, Bluey, I just ordered UFO's Lights Out.

I am in a metal (I should better say hard rock) period so I want to re-try this band that didn't impress me in the early 80's when I first listened to one of their albums (I think it was No Place To Run). Maybe it was a bit sophisticated for me by the time ? We'll see.

PH

Deenfan

The Butterfly Man

Last weekend I bought:

Marillion - Somewhere In London (2-disc Racket Records edition)

Haven't watched all of it yet, but it looks and sounds promising!

Tom

maddox

Last week i bought the albums of Karmakanic - Who's The Boss ... and Therion's Lemuria. Just to give it a shot. And also the price was an issue with the latter. Only 4.99.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Bupie

Speaking of bargains, I just ordered a boxset of five Carlos Santana 70's albums for 17 euros on Amazon France. It includes :

Caravanserail
Love Devotion Surrender
Welcome
Borboletta
Amigos

Those days, I am in the mood for 70's guitar driven classic, jazz or prog rock so I should have plenty to check with those albums  8)

Also added Rush's Power Windows to the package.