News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicky007

Yeah, I also think that the music scene would have been more exciting had Gabriel and Hackett stayed in Genesis, even if they would'v had a lot of asides like the Yes guys. (After all, the Ladder is quite a monster album, and a lot more exciting than anything by Genesis after Abacab).

Thanks for the recom, guys:  I'v added Spectral Mornings to my SL  :)

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2008-08-03, 12:48:50
Alternatively, perhaps Steve Hackett might have ended up sounding like Earth, Wind & Fire?  :o ;D :o

Well, that's what he sounds like to me:  earth, wind & fire - and occasionally some real cool and smooth water  ;D 8) *horns*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Nicky007

Just picked up two albums that I had ordered a couple of weeks ago, and added three that I just had to have, all for about 1/2 price:

Styx:  Pieces Of Eight
Foreigner:  4
Helloween:  Gambling With The Devil
Iced Earth:  Framing Armageddon
Nevermore:  In Memory

The first two are old classics. POE was a joyous reunion for me after some twenty years.

Strangely, I missed out on Foreigner in those days. Since they're so famous, I thought I should become a bit familiar with'm, and 4 seemed to be the album to get.

I got Gambling on Deenies recom. Thanks, mate  :)

I'd heard so much about Iced Earth that I had to give'm a try too. I sure havent regretted it, and I'l be on the lookout for more albums by'm  *horns*

In Memory is the second studio album by Nevermore. Nuff said  ;)

The reason why I could afford to buy all these albums is that I got some heating money paid back from our apartment administrators. Prog kept me warm all thru the winter, and thus I could acquire more prog, so it's a self-amplifying system ;D

Nicky.

So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-08-03, 19:21:32
The first two are old classsics. POE was a joyous reunion for me after some twenty years.

If you like Styx and haven't already got it, might I recommend Tommy Shaw's solo 'Ambition' ?  IMHO this is the greatest AOR album ever recorded.  *horns*  Might not be to everyone's taste, of course, but there's some exceptionally strong material on there - slays me everytime I hear it.  Quality.  8)
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

maddox

Presto Ballet - The Lost Art Of Time Travel

Finally!
I ordered it through their website a few weeks ago and yesterday i finally received it.  :)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Deenfan

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sun, 2008-08-03, 19:21:32
The reason why I could afford to buy all these albums is that I got some heating money paid back from our apartment administrators. Prog kept me warm all thru the winter, and thus I could acquire more prog, so it's a self-amplifying system ;D

:D

Nicky007

Just ordered:

WinterStrain:  Return To The Mirror

Deenie, ever heard of these guys ?  It's said that they got one crazy s.o.b. of a drummer  ;D

My now friend at Malmö Skivhandel was convinced that he could get it for me over the immediate internet ordering system, so it looks like you guys are public (with the 'l' this time) now.

http://www.amazon.com/Return-Mirror-Winterstrain/dp/B000A2H0N8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1217869990&sr=1-1

Ten:  Far Beyond The World

Just to prove to you guys that I'm not a total metalhead, and moreover, the more you guys hate Gary, the more I gotta love'im  ;D

Bianca Ryan:  Self-titled

This is one minx of a twelve-year old. She sang some r'n'b songs with such arrant passion that she simply blew over the whole jury and audience at America's Got Talent, received a standing ovation, and took the first price. When asked what was behind all this, she simply answered something like "I just like singing". Another standing ovation.

Gotta be seen to be believed !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozDh4NQveJs

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Steve Jones

Non-prog corner:
Thompson Twins - Here's To Future Days.  Remastered, expanded and, above all, cheaper.  ;D
Fischer-Z - Red Skies Over Paradise.  A personal fave from the early 80s and long overdue for vinyl replacement.  I've also got their 'Going Deaf for a Living' on order from Germany, should hopefully be here by the end of the week.

Prog-ish corner:
Anathema - A Fine Day to Exit.
Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

Quote from: Steve Jones on Mon, 2008-08-04, 20:07:29

Prog-ish corner:
Anathema - A Fine Day to Exit.

8)

Thumbs up, Steve.  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Bupie

Quote from: Steve Jones on Mon, 2008-08-04, 20:07:29
Fischer-Z - Red Skies Over Paradise.  A personal fave from the early 80s and long overdue for vinyl replacement.  I've also got their 'Going Deaf for a Living' on order from Germany, should hopefully be here by the end of the week.

I think I had this one on tape a long time ago.

I also think that a Fischer-Z song features on the soundtrack of Streets of Fire. The movie is not unforgettable  (even if Diane Lane is really cute there  :)) but it has a fairly nice soundtrack including two bombastic songs in the Meat Loaf vein that I am very fond of (the two songs, not Meat Loaf).

The proof for one of the songs ... and Diane  :-*   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEUqT9PThTg&feature=related

The other "Meat Loaf" song is easy to find on youtube too   8)

Deenfan

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-08-04, 19:01:01
Just ordered:

WinterStrain:  Return To The Mirror

Deenie, ever heard of these guys ?  It's said that they got one crazy s.o.b. of a drummer  ;D

My now friend at Malmö Skivhandel was convinced that he could get it for me over the immediate internet ordering system, so it looks like you guys are public (with the 'l' this time) now.

That may be well and good, but he's a dick, nonetheless. I wish he'd made it an easier job for me to do the songs live! >:(

Seriously, thanks, COOOL and all that. Hope you'll find it's connecting with you. ;)

Steve Jones

Quote from: Bupie on Tue, 2008-08-05, 09:58:20
The movie is not unforgettable

You said it!  ;D  I was vomitting copiously within the first minute of the uPube clip.  :)
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Fischer-Z - Going Deaf for a Living.  YAY!  Ordered on Sunday night from Amazon Germany, turned up today - pretty good service.  8)
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Kansas - Point of Know Return.

Mercenary's 'Architect of Lies'  didn't turn up as expected - perhaps tomorrow.  ::)
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Mercenary - Architect of Lies.  I'm looking forward to hearing this, after Nevermore's TGE I'm very definitely in the mood for some 'Intellimetal', for want of a better term.  It's a good job my Postal Delivery Executive didn't try to sneak past a second time without delivering this - I might have been forced to administer a thorough beating.  ;)

Howard Jones - Human's Lib.  Someone mentioned this here recently, and I realised all of my Howard Jones stuff was still vinyl.

Greenslade - Bedside Manners are Extra.  Breaking out yet another band from vinyl.  *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Bupie

Dire Straits - Alchemy

A live classic that I only had on vinyl ... at my parents' house  :(

"A lovestruck romeo sings a streetsus serenade ..."  Don't know if those are the exact lyrics but it makes me cry anytime  :'(

Iggy

Not a CD or DVD but a nice server to store them all on.

A gnat's whisker from being able to stream anything anywhere in the house. A bit indulgent but why on Earth  do we work?

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2008-08-09, 18:00:37
Not a CD or DVD but a nice server to store them all on.

Details please, kind sir!   :D
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Steve Jones

Toys for boys are always cool!  :)  I've got a 0.5TB network attached storage jobby here and it's pretty damned useful.  Still got zillions of CDs to rip, mind you...
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

I have ripped all mine. However i decided to up the bit rate so I am on the second pass.  :-\

I'm glad I started the re rip before all my purchases this year.  ;D

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2008-08-09, 23:27:05
I'm glad I started the re rip before all my purchases this year.  ;D

Yes, I'm doing the re-ripping thing at the moment.  I could do with a bigger iProng, 30GB doesn't go far if you're into Dream Theater and Flower Kings!  ::)
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-08-09, 23:30:16
Yes, I'm doing the re-ripping thing at the moment.  I could do with a bigger iProng, 30GB doesn't go far if you're into Dream Theater and Flower Kings!  ::)

Indeed you need to go large and they are relatively cheep compared to when they first came out.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2008-08-09, 23:32:48
Indeed you need to go large and they are relatively cheep compared to when they first came out.

Indeedy.  And I'd get half my life back that I currently waste shunting digital files around.  Things were easier in vinyl days, although I'll concede it was a bitch trying to carry your record player to work.  ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-08-09, 23:37:21
Indeedy.  And I'd get half my life back that I currently waste shunting digital files around.  Things were easier in vinyl days, although I'll concede it was a bitch trying to carry your record player to work.  ;D

It was bad enough lugging tapes around for the walkman quite frankly.

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sat, 2008-08-09, 23:49:06
It was bad enough lugging tapes around for the walkman quite frankly.

And batteries.  "Have you got plenty of spare AA cells in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?"  ;D
Regards, Steve Jones