News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Deenfan

:D

Gregg Giuffria:

In his rocking days:

In his current life:

The company he used to keep:

The company he always kept, and still seem to keep: (It's his car...)

:D

Nicky007

You can't blame him for not sticking to metal, although it's a tie  ;D

With all that female company, you can't either blame him for not needing a big car  :D  (hm, a bit convoluted)

Deenie, did he ever do anything exceptional (or is he only famous thru association with Gentle Giant) ?

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Deenfan

Now, this calls for a topic of it's own, with some words about a whole bunch of albums, doesn't it?! ;D

Steve Jones

Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant.
Satellite - Evening Dreams. (Live DVD & CD)
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Teunis

Just ordered Sylvan - "Posthumous Silence - The Show"
'I will surrender my heart to the sky
Oh, our love doesn't end here, it lives forever on the wings of time'
-------------------------------------------------------
Toto - Wings of time (Kingdom of Desire)

Iggy

Shadow gallery Room V
Wintersun Wintersun

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2008-08-01, 13:36:54
Shadow gallery Room V
Now that is a spooky coincidence!  I haven't played it yet, but have high hopes...  8)
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2008-08-01, 14:27:38
Now that is a spooky coincidence!  I haven't played it yet, but have high hopes...  8)

Quite enjoyed it but need to spin it some more.

maddox

I do hope you both have the Second Edition of Room V.

There are some several, mostly acoustic tracks on it which is pretty nice but the best artefact on that second disk is Floydian Memories.
An epic of 25 minutes of the best bits and pieces of Pink Floyd songs. Amazing.  8)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Iggy

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2008-08-01, 16:41:38

There are some several, mostly acoustic tracks on it which is pretty nice but the best artefact on that second disk is Floydian Memories.
An epic of 25 minutes of the best bits and pieces of Pink Floyd songs. Amazing.  8)

Doh!

Steve Jones

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2008-08-01, 16:41:38

Nope.  Much as I prefer CDs with extras, in this case it would have cost me twice the price!  :o
Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

maddox

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2008-08-01, 17:39:55
Nope.  Much as I prefer CDs with extras, in this case it would have cost me twice the price!  :o

So?

You practically buy five CD's a week, that shouldn't be a problem for you.  :D

Steve Jones

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2008-08-01, 17:44:11
So?
You practically buy five CD's a week, that shouldn't be a problem for you.  :D

LOL, yes, you have the measure of me, kind sir!  ;D  I could argue that the reason I manage to buy a lot of CDs is I look for the bargains (got an Anthrax 2.98 bargain coming tomorrow from Amazon  8) ) but I must admit I can never resist the lure of the bonus disc - no matter what the cost.  Sucker!!!!!  ;)

In this case I bought the CD off a mate - 'give me a fiver and it's yours'  *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: maddox on Fri, 2008-08-01, 17:43:04
I'll take that as a 'yes'.  ;D

Thumbs up, Iggy.  ;)

No it was a homer simpson doh. I bought the wrong one   >:(

maddox

Quote from: Iggy on Fri, 2008-08-01, 18:12:28
No it was a homer simpson doh. I bought the wrong one   >:(

That's a shame, Iggy.  ;)

You could sell it on Ebay and buy the SE right after.  :D

Bupie

Quote from: Steve Jones on Fri, 2008-08-01, 17:53:08
LOL, yes, you have the measure of me, kind sir!  ;D  I could argue that the reason I manage to buy a lot of CDs is I look for the bargains (got an Anthrax 2.98 bargain coming tomorrow from Amazon  8) ) but I must admit I can never resist the lure of the bonus disc - no matter what the cost.  Sucker!!!!!  ;)

In this case I bought the CD off a mate - 'give me a fiver and it's yours'  *horns*

http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/6120263/Shadow-Gallery-Room-V-Bonus-Edition-Limitee-CD-Album.html     ;)

Not too expensive for a double CD.

I also can sell you mine. No, wait, I keep it  ;D

Nicky007

I benefit from living in a country with people who settle for mediocre music, so I get some great bargains, like the one today, all cd's for 60 DKR (8 Euros) a piece:

Nevermore:  Dead Heart In A Dead World  (2000)
                    Dreaming Neon Black  (1999)
                    The Politics Of Ecstasy  (1996)
                    Self-titled  (first full-length album, 1995)
Arch Enemy:  Rise Of The Tyrant  (2007)
                     Doomsday Machine  (2005)
Steve Hackett:  Please Don't Touch  (1978, remastered)
Cream:  The Very Best Of Cream  (1995, recordings from 1966-69)

Comments:  Nevermore's This Godless Endeavor is in my book the strongest contender for toppling Systematic Chaos off the throne. I only had TGE, so getting these 4 albums is a some coup for me. My first spins of DHIADW tell me that this is gonna be a BIG adventure  *horns*

I had seen so may recoms for Arch Enemy on the Amazon pages I visited, also on the Nevermore pages, that I decided to give'm a run, particularly for that money  ;D  The first spins have been promising.

Steve Hackett is always exciting. I had Wild Orchids from 2006, so I thought it would be interesting to see what he was doing back in the 70's. I become more and more convinced that if he'd stayed in Genesis, he would'v ensured that they had stayed on a prog track. Any opinions on this matter, guys ?

I was a big Cream fan back in the 60's. They were actually one of the first rock groups that I got properly into. When I heard my old vinyl copy of Disraeli Gears again recently, I was surprised at how good they still sounded - well, more precisely, some of the songs, not all. I purchased Wheels Of Fire recently and experienced the same. I only seldomly buy Best Of albums, cause the groups that I like are usually album oriented. However, the Cream albums don't seem to me to be particularly AO. So, good reasons to get this Best Of.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Steve Jones

Quote from: Nicky007 on Fri, 2008-08-01, 21:08:06
all cd's for 60 DKR (8 Euros) a piece:

Just my kind of deals.  Yay for bargains!  ;D
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Steve Jones

Sieges Even - Playgrounds.  Yes!!!!!! I shall be hanging a 'Do Not Disturb!' sign on the door.  *horns*
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King.
Anthrax - Among The Living.  One of those Amazon 2.98 bargains that I can't resist!
Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-08-02, 09:08:31

Anthrax - Among The Living.  One of those Amazon 2.98 bargains that I can't resist!

I was really fond of these guys during my Metal-years.  8)

erik

Steve Hackett:  Please Don't Touch  (1978, remastered)

Steve Hackett is always exciting. I had Wild Orchids from 2006, so I thought it would be interesting to see what he was doing back in the 70's. I become more and more convinced that if he'd stayed in Genesis, he would'v ensured that they had stayed on a prog track. Any opinions on this matter, guys ?

The big what if... Yeah, I think so too. Of all the (ex-)Genesis members he's definitely the most progressive and versatile (and also productive, wow!) in his solo works. Wild Orchids is a stunning album, gets regular play here.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Steve Jones

I become more and more convinced that if he'd stayed in Genesis, he would'v ensured that they had stayed on a prog track. Any opinions on this matter, guys ?

Alternatively, perhaps Steve Hackett might have ended up sounding like Earth, Wind & Fire?  :o ;D :o  Call me Mr Conservative, but I'll play safe and vote to stick with things just the way they are!  ;)

IMO, if you've not already got it, 'Spectral Mornings' is a must if you're sampling early/classic Hackett.  Also, from a live point of view, the little boxed 'Archive' thing is excellent - captures exactly what I remember hearing on stage at the time.
Regards, Steve Jones

erik

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2008-08-03, 12:48:50
Alternatively, perhaps Steve Hackett might have ended up sounding like Earth, Wind & Fire?  :o ;D :o  Call me Mr Conservative, but I'll play safe and vote to stick with things just the way they are!  ;)

:D I thought Phil Collins was the one who introduced the EWF horns into the Genesis sound ;)
The good thing of the departures is that is has probably delivered us more albums than we would've got if they had all stayed in Genesis. But we proggies prefer quality over quantity and Genesis is all about the whole being more than the sum of the parts, so the what if question is always an interesting (although pointless at the same time) one.

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2008-08-03, 12:48:50
IMO, if you've not already got it, 'Spectral Mornings' is a must if you're sampling early/classic Hackett.  Also, from a live point of view, the little
boxed 'Archive' thing is excellent - captures exactly what I remember hearing on stage at the time.

Spectral Mornings and Voyage Of The Acolyte are both must have's!
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..