News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: maddox on Tue, 2008-07-15, 19:30:30
Way way way way better than Paramount.
It's more Rush-like then Paramount is. When i first listened to it literally blew me off my feet.

Lots of technicalities on this album while Paramount is more mainstream.
Maybe you can compare it with the two last albums of Sylvan. Though Presets was good, PS was a total different story music wise. 

Now i'm not saying that Paramount is bad though since it's not but TAONBTS is a league of its own.  *horns*

Okay, sounds interesting, I think I may have to check it out. :) Great album-title by the way.

After many listens I can say that I'm in love with Paramount. Superb melodies and great singing all along. Really like it! *horns*

Tom
There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

PH

I bought Marco Sfogli - There's Hope.
Which is brilliant intrumental guitar driven prog rock/metal/fusion!

I love it! 8)

-Paco

Steve Jones

Arrived today: Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor.
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

PH

I bought something today. 8)
It's not a cd or dvd, but it's still worth to mention.
I bought a new MP3 player: MPIO MG300.
No iPod crap, just a nice little thing that does exactly the same, but has some more advantages:
It has 8 GB storage space, but there's an SD slot, so I can take several SD cards with me. ;D This is something I always have wanted!!
It has a voice recorder and an FM radio (which I can also record from).

Oh yes, the cost: 105 euros. ;D

Man, this thing is cool.

-Paco

maddox

Looks good, much data storage and cheap.

All of this in one player.  ;D
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Bupie

Once again I had sin  :-[

On Amazon US (best price I found) : Kansas Two for the Show freshly re-released on a 2 CD version, which means about one hour of previously unreleased Kansas' best period live material  *horns*   If you don't know this great band yet, it's a very good place to start (yes, I know, I swore I would never practice  prosenickylytism  ;D but this time I can't resist ...).

On Amazon France :

Helloween - Keeper Pt1  because of Deenfan writer's talents  ;)  When do you finish your Helloween's tales, by the way ?

The Cranberries - No Need to Argue : The Complete Sessions because I had nothing from them so far and it's was time to correct this lack at a low price.

Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night to expand my collection and get to the free shipping total amount  :)

Dolores O'Riordan - Are You Listening ?  because ... no, Nicky, not because of THAT  >:(  ;D

Nicky007

Quote from: Bupie on Wed, 2008-07-23, 12:05:19
When do you finish your Helloween's tales, by the way ?

Deenie, you can continue with the movies where the guy slices up everything in his range. That's a bit your style too  ;D

Just ordered

Gary Hughes:  Once & Future King, Part 1

about King Arthur, with all the great singers:  Gary Hughes, Damian Wilson, Bob Catley, Dougie White, Sean Harris, Danny Vaughn, Lana Lane, Irene Jansen, DC Cooper, Sabine Edelbacher, & Harry Hess.

Now don't get goin on your usual a*s & b*s stuff, guys, cause dat aint de issue here (tryin to be a bit marshy) :D

Was hard to find at Amazon, but now I was informed that it was sent to me from Japan.

So, curious to see what it's like  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

Steve Jones

Just unwrapped Osada Vida - Three Seats Behind a Triangle.  If this is only half as good as the other one then I'll be in prog-heaven.  *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Deenfan

Ah, thanks for asking in a requesting manner that must mean that you enjoy the read. I love that. What has been so peculilar about work the last week is that I've had to DO STUFF!?!! :o ??? >:(

If I don't get too tired too early tonight, I'll provide the Legacy and the Devil. 8)

Proglady

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2008-07-23, 18:44:32
Just unwrapped Osada Vida - Three Seats Behind a Triangle.  If this is only half as good as the other one then I'll be in prog-heaven.  *horns*

"The Body Parts Party" by Osada Vida is much better.

Iggy

Steve Jones

Quote from: Proglady on Thu, 2008-07-24, 13:43:27
"The Body Parts Party" by Osada Vida is much better.

My first couple of plays of Triangle today certainly suggest it's not quite as good as Body Parts, mainly because it didn't give me the same "Wow!  I'll never play any of my other CDs ever again!" adrenaline rush.   ;)  But I think that if I'd not heard Body Parts I'd still be enthusing wildy about the band on the strength of this earlier release.  8)

Arrived today but not yet played: Amaseffer - Slaves for Life.
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Ten - The Twilight Chronicles.  I've been a little more AOR-friendly of late, largely down to the release of Journey's new album.  Indeed I've even bunged a bunch of older Journey albums on the iPose.  I'm sure it'll pass.  ;)

Within Temptation - Mother Earth.  Another mood swing - I've been listening to more 'Nymphonic Metal' lately.

Gentle Giant - Octopus.  I've been meaning to do something about my vinyl-only GG capability for a while.  It's kind of embarassing when folk compare Beardfish to GG and I can barely remember what they sound like.  :-[
Regards, Steve Jones

Deenfan

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-07-26, 12:39:34
It's kind of embarassing when folk compare Beardfish to GG and I can barely remember what they sound like.  :-[

Yeah, that is really getting to me every time... ::)

Nicky007

Ten - The Twilight Chronicles.  I've been a little more AOR-friendly of late, largely down to the release of Journey's new album.

OK, new times here, a twilight zone  *horns*

You'l be surprised at how much more than AOR this album is  ;)

I'm sure it'll pass.  ;)

It'l crush all your walls tellya !!!

Gentle Giant - Octopus.  I've been meaning to do something about my vinyl-only GG capability for a while.  It's kind of embarassing when folk compare Beardfish to GG and I can barely remember what they sound like.  :-[

Yeah, I gotta get down to that one too. I purchased it cause everyone was arty-dartyin bout it. Let's figure what its true musical qualities are, Stevie  :)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

erik

Quote from: Nicky007 on Sat, 2008-07-26, 13:21:12
Yeah, I gotta get down to that one too [Gentle Giant]. I purchased it cause everyone was arty-dartyin bout it. Let's figure what its true musical qualities are, Stevie  :)

In A Glass House and the live album Playing The Fool (with a large Octopus section) are both highly recommended!
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Deenfan

I must admit, as indicated above, that I have no idea about any of these bands, spare their names.

Therefore, I hesitate to ask.... what on earth (or indeed, in the sea) is a large octopus section?! :o

erik

Quote from: Deenfan on Sat, 2008-07-26, 16:02:33
I must admit, as indicated above, that I have no idea about any of these bands, spare their names.

Therefore, I hesitate to ask.... what on earth (or indeed, in the sea) is a large octopus section?! :o

Allow me to elaborate then to enlighten you ::)

Wikipedia says
QuoteGentle Giant were a British progressive rock band, one of the most experimental of the 1970s. Textually inspired by philosophy, personal events and the works of François Rabelais, the group's compositional purpose was to "expand the frontiers of contemporary popular music at the risk of becoming very unpopular."

Gentle Giant was formed by Derek, Ray and Phil Shulman in 1970 after the dissolution of their soul/pop band Simon Dupree and the Big Sound in 1969 . The brothers joined with Gary Green, Kerry Minnear, and a succession of drummers to produce a series of twelve albums throughout the 1970s, finally dissolving quietly in 1980.

Their earlier albums were more eclectic and experimental than their later ones. By 1974, as they started to gather an American following, they simplified their songs (which, compared to other rock artists at the time, were still very complex) to gain a wider audience. Free Hand reached the Top 50 in the U.S.

By 1977, as cultural trends saw the mainstream of music shifting towards punk and New Wave, the band developed a much more commercial sound. In 1979, they relocated to America to record their twelfth and most mainstream album, Civilian, after which the group disbanded.

Several recent progressive rock bands claim to have been greatly influenced by the music of Gentle Giant, including Spock's Beard and Echolyn.

Though Gentle Giant's music has a unique sound it also has many aspects in common with other progressive rock bands:

- Frequent changes in tempo
- Frequent use of syncopation
- Non-standard time signatures, including polymeters (2 or more time signatures played simultaneously)
- Complex melodies, frequently contrasting harmonies with dissonance
- Unconventional use of numerous classical and medieval instruments
- Musical structures typically associated with classical music, like the madrigal "Knots" and the fugal exposition in "On Reflection"
- Multi-part vocal harmonies
- Extensive use of instrumental and vocal counterpoint
- Complex lyrics
- Concept albums (on the occasion)
One Gentle Giant album listed a total of 46 instruments in the musician credits.

With the large Octopus section I'm referring to the track "Excerpts from Octopus" which is a medley from that classic album by Gentle Giant found on said live album
Quote...which was released in 1977. Many consider it to be one of the best live albums of the 70s progressive rock bands. It demonstrates the band's complex musicianship and talent as well as showcasing versions of songs which are often greatly modified from the original album versions.
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Iggy

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2008-07-27, 10:01:05
Fates Warning Perfect Symmetry

Is that the 'Something for the weekend' packet of three version?
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2008-07-27, 10:38:37
Is that the 'Something for the weekend' packet of three version?

Yes it is. It seemed rude not to buy the extended version.

I hadn't heard gentle giant until recently. I also purchased Octopus about a year ago. It is weird I love Roger Dean artwork and I like prog but never bought GG.

Bupie

Quote from: erik on Sat, 2008-07-26, 16:25:57
Allow me to elaborate then to enlighten you ::)

Gentle Giant were a British progressive rock band, one of the most experimental of the 1970s. Textually inspired by philosophy, personal events and the works of François Rabelais, the group's compositional purpose was to "expand the frontiers of contemporary popular music at the risk of becoming very unpopular."

So the name Gentle Giant would refeer to Gargantua, the giant who is the main character of some of the most popular Rabelais' novels ?

Thanks for the info, Erik ! I even thought GG was an american band  :-[   I haven't checked them so far, fearing that their music would be too esoteric for my taste ...

Deenfan

I must thank my semi-namesake erik for the elaborate, yet dense and interesting guide to GG, which in my book will always bring the thoughts to Gregg Giuffria! ;)

erik

Quote from: Deenfan on Mon, 2008-07-28, 10:40:16
I must thank my semi-namesake erik for the elaborate, yet dense and interesting guide to GG, which in my book will always bring the thoughts to Gregg Giuffria! ;)
You're welcome! now I had to look up Gregg Giuffria ::)

Quote from: Bupie on Mon, 2008-07-28, 09:55:34
So the name Gentle Giant would refeer to Gargantua, the giant who is the main character of some of the most popular Rabelais' novels ?

Thanks for the info, Erik ! I even thought GG was an american band  :-[   I haven't checked them so far, fearing that their music would be too esoteric for my taste ...
I don't know exactly about the origins of the name, but your thesis does make sense, Bupie.

Their music is indeed an acquired taste, but it's worth trying (one of their albums is actually called.. Acquiring The Taste!).
We stare at our screens
All our lives
What a waste of eyes..

Nicky007

Quote from: erik on Mon, 2008-07-28, 12:34:06
You're welcome! now I had to look up Gregg Giuffria ::)

I don't know exactly ...

... what I'm thanking for or welcoming, but I also had to look him up. Pretty freaked out, huh guys, that Deenie just like that can get us to look up all the guys in his freak parade  ::) ;D

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can