News:

write me a message if you are unable log in, if you need to recover your account, or if you would like to register a new account; also if the email address you used here before is not valid anymore.

Main Menu

Your latest cd or DVD purchase

Started by Teunis, Fri, 2005-11-11, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Jones

Quote from: Teunis on Sat, 2008-06-14, 16:29:13
Just ordered two albums of the Polish band 'Satellite':

Nice one.  I've been getting into 'Satellite' this year, too  *horns*

Just noticed that my new Spock's Beard live DVD now says 'despatched' on Amazon.  Hurrah!  The CD seems to be lagging behind, though...
Regards, Steve Jones

"Then I'll know my bet will win, when the saints go marching in"

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sat, 2008-06-14, 16:36:12
Nice one.  I've been getting into 'Satellite' this year, too  *horns*

Just noticed that my new Spock's Beard live DVD now says 'despatched' on Amazon.  Hurrah!  The CD seems to be lagging behind, though...

Not heard any Satellite could you compare their sound with anyone?

Steve Jones

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2008-06-15, 12:23:26
Not heard any Satellite could you compare their sound with anyone?

Difficult to say, as they're one of those bands that seem to have an awful lot of influences, both rock and prog rock.

A little more guitar-led than keyboard, but still very melodic.  Some of the guitar parts have that wonderfully fluid Camel/Floyd sound to them, but then there's at least one bit I can think of that reminds me of Golden Earring!  Some of the vocal sound a little like Fish or earlier Arena, but others don't.

If this wishy-washy answer makes them sound like a band with no identity then don't let this put you off - it's more my inability to put music into words than anything to do with the band.  This is full-on prog, no doubt about it.  I bought "Into the Night" a few months back and was immediately hooked.  I picked up "Evening Games" and "Street" pretty quickly afterwards.

Certainly recommendable  *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2008-06-15, 15:42:24
Difficult to say, as they're one of those bands that seem to have an awful lot of influences, both rock and prog rock.

A little more guitar-led than keyboard, but still very melodic.  Some of the guitar parts have that wonderfully fluid Camel/Floyd sound to them, but then there's at least one bit I can think of that reminds me of Golden Earring!  Some of the vocal sound a little like Fish or earlier Arena, but others don't.

If this wishy-washy answer makes them sound like a band with no identity then don't let this put you off - it's more my inability to put music into words than anything to do with the band.  This is full-on prog, no doubt about it.  I bought "Into the Night" a few months back and was immediately hooked.  I picked up "Evening Games" and "Street" pretty quickly afterwards.

Certainly recommendable  *horns*

It was a mean question. Thanks for the answer.

Steve Jones

Of course, a clearer thinker would have sent you to look at http://www.myspace.com/satellitepoland  ::)
Regards, Steve Jones

maddox

Quote from: Steve Jones on Sun, 2008-06-15, 22:05:06
Of course, a clearer thinker would have sent you to look at http://www.myspace.com/satellitepoland  ::)

That's always useful, yes.  ;)
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Iggy

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Steve Jones on Wed, 2008-06-11, 20:11:54
BTW: you should post your purchases on here, I for one find it useful to get an idea of what's around as I don't buy any music mags these days.

Okay, I'll try to list my purchases here from now on :).

I bought Coldplay - Vida La Vida last weekend. Sound promising so far!

Tom

There will be white clouds beyond the hills...

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Mon, 2008-06-16, 11:53:20
I bought Coldplay - La Vida Vida last weekend. Sound promising so far!

Comon, Tom  :'( :'( :'(

Nicky.
So you've come of age
And so you want to meet God
Sure you can
He's right here next to me

The Butterfly Man

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Mon, 2008-06-16, 12:04:58
What??? ???

Just between us two, Tom:  Take your Coldplay back to the cd-store and exchange it with The Twilight Chronicles. You'l luuuuuv me forever if you do that  :-* :-* :-*

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

The Butterfly Man

Quote from: Nicky007 on Mon, 2008-06-16, 12:19:01
Just between us two, Tom:  Take your Coldplay back to the cd-store and exchange it with The Twilight Chronicles. You'l luuuuuv me forever if you do that  :-* :-* :-*

I think it's time to get over your preconceptions regarding 'my' Coldplay, Nicky! Once you're hooked, you'll give away your copy of The Twilight Chronicles to me for free! ;)

BTW, The Twilight Chronicles is an album from Ten, right? :P

Tom

Nicky007

Quote from: The Butterfly Man on Mon, 2008-06-16, 12:28:05
I think it's time to get over your preconceptions regarding 'my' Coldplay, Nicky!

A couple of years ago, there was so much ravin about X&Y that I decided to get the cd. I suffered thru it thrice and couldnt take any more; the playing left me cold. I thought, f*, how can people listen to this j* when we have DT, Arena, and Ten. Not only did I experience it as totally run-of-the-mill, but there wasnt even any real melody ala e.g. Robbie Williams or even Christina Aguilera.

Just a (f*in) opinion  :D

BTW, The Twilight Chronicles is an album from Ten, right? :P

OK, it took ten allusions to sink in with you, Tom  ;D

Once you're ... you'll give away your copy of The Twilight Chronicles to me for free! ;)

Great, now at least you're aware that there's some goody awaitin you, Tomboy  ;)

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

maddox

The new Coldplay is indeed very good.  8)

Though the single Violet Hill does little to me. In fact i think it's the weakest song on the album.
Cause of Injury: Lack of Adhesive Ducks.

Steve Jones

Manning - Songs from the Bilston House (progrock.co.uk)
Manning - Anser's Tree (progrock.co.uk)
Judas Priest - Nostradamus (amazon.co.uk)

I was expecting to get the Spock's Beard live CDs and DVDs today, but Amazon have f*ck*d up on the new releases yet again.  >:(
I've received 2 copies of Judas Priest, despite my account showing only one, and the Spock's DVD didn't turn up.  Might arrive tomorrow, or perhaps the second copy of Judas Priest is instead of it - ***holes!  >:( >:(

On top of that, despite pre-ordering the Spock's CD, that has gone straight to 'available in 1 to 2 weeks'.  They used to be reliable, but these problems are becoming more frequent - I don't think I'll bother with Amazon for new releases any more.  >:( >:( >:( >:(
Regards, Steve Jones

Appelmoes??

Ordered 5 Savatage albums, so within a couple of weeks I'll have that collection complete 8)
For some good reading visit:""Fluffy Kittens of DOOM"!

My drawings on MySpace

Iggy

Quote from: Steve Jones on Mon, 2008-06-16, 20:59:31
Manning - Songs from the Bilston House (progrock.co.uk)
Manning - Anser's Tree (progrock.co.uk)
Judas Priest - Nostradamus (amazon.co.uk)

I was expecting to get the Spock's Beard live CDs and DVDs today, but Amazon have f*ck*d up on the new releases yet again.  >:(
I've received 2 copies of Judas Priest, despite my account showing only one, and the Spock's DVD didn't turn up.  Might arrive tomorrow, or perhaps the second copy of Judas Priest is instead of it - ***holes!  >:( >:(

On top of that, despite pre-ordering the Spock's CD, that has gone straight to 'available in 1 to 2 weeks'.  They used to be reliable, but these problems are becoming more frequent - I don't think I'll bother with Amazon for new releases any more.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Play.com don't seem much better.

they sent me the wrong thing 3 times in a row    ::)

Nicky007

I recommend you guys to try Amazon.com. It ran smoothly a couple of years ago when I used it heavily. The postage is higher, but prices are lower for us in Europe, so in total it amounts to about the same as ordering from Amazon-UK.

Nicky.
So you've come of age
Sure you can

Iggy

Quote from: Nicky007 on Tue, 2008-06-17, 12:15:14
I recommend you guys to try Amazon.com. It ran smoothly a couple of years ago when I used it heavily. The postage is higher, but prices are lower for us in Europe, so in total it amounts to about the same as ordering from Amazon-UK.

Nicky.

I do use amazon market place alot especially caiman who are very reliable ( a little slow but patience is a virtue  ;D)

Most of the time though Amazon.co.uk are pretty good to me. They have recommended all sorts of great music.

Steve Jones

Manning - The Ragged Curtain
Manning - The View From My Window

I'm getting hugely into Manning http://www.guymanning.com/ at the moment, hence even more purchases.  I'm still a bit of a novice, but if anyone wants a place to start then the most recent 'Songs from the Bilston House' is most impressive. Available from http://www.progrock.co.uk/
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Pineapple Thief - Tightly Unwound
Regards, Steve Jones

Proglady

Amaseffer - Slaves For Life
Sensitive To Light - From the Ancient World

Steve Jones

Spock's Beard - Live.  Turned up at last! 8)
Joe Jackson - I'm the Man.  Another Amazon 2.98 offer  *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Nova - Wings of Love.  Late 70s Jazz-rock outfit that I once saw supporting Steve Hillage.  Why is it I seem to have seen most bands supporting Hillage?  I thought I was imagining it, but I checked my gig-list and it's all there in writing.  :o

Sieges Even - Lifecycle.  I'd already got it on iTunes download, but have just managed to get a proper copy for a reasonable price.  Already ripped to much better quality mp3s.  *horns*
Regards, Steve Jones

Iggy

Quote from: Iggy on Sun, 2008-06-15, 17:13:53
It was a mean question. Thanks for the answer.

Good call

NP Evening games by Satellite